Idiots Who Come To Thailand.

chiangmaikelly

Food nuts

So last night I am introduced to this person who has come to Thailand for the first time. He does not like spicy food. OK I suggest taking him to a pub that serves food from his homeland. Nope. His girlfriend says we will go to a Thai steak house because he likes steaks. Mistake one. Girlfriend has never been outside of Thailand or met a man from his country.

While at the Thai steak house I inform the person that beef in Thailand is not edible except for French Thai beef or imported beef. Mistake two. Girlfriend says it is OK, I guess she ate the family buffalo and liked it.

I try and tell him to go for the chicken or pork. Chicken breast or pork chops are good in Thailand. Nope. He orders a T Bone. I cringe. Then they serve him a frozen beer (he ordered an infrequently ordered brand) with his buffalo steak and he thinks Thailand is awful. I pay for dinner, 1000 baht for 4 of us and he had two big bottle beers, so not expensive and the girls had a nice time talking.

Moral to the story? First we should have gone to a pub because the guy had never been outside of his country before and culture shock was a bit much. Second, the man should have listened to an experienced person, me, when ordering food and beverages. He would have had a meal he enjoyed and a decent beer.

I really think a large percentage of this moaning and groaning about Thailand is the moaner and groaner's inexperience with SEA and Thailand specifically.

Thailand is a lot like Aussie rules football. You're going to get bopped on the head every once in a while. However if you are an old Canadian goalie who played hockey before the advent of pansy face masks then you fit right in.

• Like 2

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is amazing the amount of people that are just not prepared to listen to well meaning well founded advice.

When it comes to food in Thailand there are plenty of non-spicy dishes, and it's so cheap there's no harm in experimenting with a dish and discarding it if you don't like it.

Refusing to even try is idiotic.......but there are far more ways to be a real idiot in Thailand.

Yes, there are many idiots out there who refuse to take some simple yet well intended advice.

I agree with OP, in that his friend would've had a much more enjoyable experience had he heeded the good advice offered him.

Some people just don't get it, and no matter what is offered, they refuse to sway.........oh well, just proves that we are all different.

I know there are things we all have to learn by experience. Getting drugged, mugged and rolled in Pattaya and falling in love with a bar girl or two and a village wedding all those things are important and a part of growing up in Thailand. But food is simple. And so is beer. If the place you go has everybody drinking Singha, chances are Singha is what to drink. Never eat in an empty restaurant or one with a view. Age old wisdom.

I have never been mugged...attempted, but never success.

I have never been drugged...by anyone else, unknowingly.

Not fat enough to be rolled.

Never fell in love with a bg.

Never participated in or been to a village wedding and never will.

As for conforming to the general pop and drinking what everyone else is drinking, that is kinda boring and sheep like.

I have eaten in an empty restaurant and then it filled up not so long after.

Eaten in many restaurants with views and had a wonderful feed.

next

• Like 1

The guy did take advice from his GF over the OP, who he had just met, so i dont think there is anything unusual about that. That she didn't know much about his foreign taste in food might not have occurred to him.

He might have learnt something from the experience. Why not take him out again and tell us the outcome of the dinner?

Edited by BookMan

The guy did take advice from his GF over the OP, who he had just met, so i dont think there is anything unusual about that. That she didn't know much about his foreign taste in food might not have occurred to him.

He might have learnt something from the experience. Why not take him out again and tell us the outcome of the dinner?

Neither he nor his GF have ever been to Pattaya. They are going this weekend. I told them to get a room at the Hilton and go shopping at Central and see a movie. They said, no. They got a cheap hotel 500 baht with a view and are going to Walking street. Oh well.

As for conforming to the general pop and drinking what everyone else is drinking, that is kinda boring and sheep like.

next

I'm just playng the odds. I've been in the restaurant business for years and years. Never go into a bar that is not on a corner or doesn't have a back door.

Neither he nor his GF have ever been to Pattaya. They are going this weekend. I told them to get a room at the Hilton and go shopping at Central and see a movie. They said, no. They got a cheap hotel 500 baht with a view and are going to Walking street. Oh well.

I would have balked at the Hilton as well, and Central is an overpriced shopping mall. Walking Street and a 500 baht hotel seems like a better option to me.

Me too but I doubt this is your first trip to Thailand and you just met the woman for the first time that you may ask to marry you.

next

And you have advanced on the evolutionary scale to where you are today. Impressive..................tongue.png

I would have balked at the Hilton as well, and Central is an overpriced shopping mall. Walking Street and a 500 baht hotel seems like a better option to me.

Me too but I doubt this is your first trip to Thailand and you just met the woman for the first time that you may ask to marry you.

A Hilton and a shopping mall you can find in any country. I would have suggested a romantic getaway to one of Thailand's islands if he wants to get to know his prospective bride.

A Hilton and a shopping mall you can find in any country. I would have suggested a romantic getaway to one of Thailand's islands if he wants to get to know his prospective bride.

What do you think I am an idiot too? They wanted to go to Pattaya. Have you ever been to the Hilton in Pattaya? Ever been to Central in Pattaya? They both are unique.

I think it is a battle of the two heads with your friend. The big head wants to take your advice, but the little head wants some exercise more.

Big problem with first time visitors to LOS, enchanted by advice on subjects that the advisor knows nothing about. There are a lot of phrases for this condition that spring to mind, none of which I can use on this forum without receiving a holiday.............wink.png

• Like 1

A shopping mall and a movie? Whoopee! You really make a great guide. Before you question what my experiences of Pattaya are, I have lived here for over three years and could offer them something a bit more interesting than that. So, to answer your question, do I think you're an idiot? Yes.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

OP you say he had two big beers - yet you suggest it was not a decent beer - your opinion or his? I would suggest if he had a second it must have been ok for him unless he is the type to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Whilst not disagreeing with your advice on the food side it was up to him so not sure why you sound so miffed. I agree with other posters who suggest that Hilton/Festival is not such a good rec. - yes i have been to both many times. If he is in Pattaya for more then a couple a days I am sure he can put in a visit to Central but I certainly would not bother with it as "must see" place.

At the end of the day we should learn from our experiences and as a first time visitor he probably has a lot to learn but that is part of the fun as siampreggers says.

I know a guy who tries to tell everything to everyone 'new'.

Everybody considers him a <deleted>, and the newbees who listen to him end up in a much unhappier, unfullfilling place.

I let people explore and learn for themselves, and we usually have a lot fun along the way.

Go figure.

Ya first time I came to SEA I met a lot of people like you. It was in Vietnam. I developed a habit of listening to the old timers. The guys who had been around for ages. Learned a lot. Saved my life on occasions to numerous to count. I still don't pick up things on the ground. If I see a coin or a doll I never touch it. Funny how things stay with you.

But there were a lot of people like you too. I was in Pattaya a few years back. I noticed a number of Thai motorcycle taxi drivers with machetes congregating across the street from the bar I hung out at. No one else noticed. I told a few people that I knew. But no, I wouldn't have told anyone who had wanted to find out everything for themselves. For sure I would not have told anyone who thought me a <deleted>. Go figure!

A shopping mall and a movie? Whoopee! You really make a great guide. Before you question what my experiences of Pattaya are, I have lived here for over three years and could offer them something a bit more interesting than that. So, to answer your question, do I think you're an idiot? Yes.

You mean you have lived in Pattaya for over three years?

You mean you have lived in Pattaya for over three years?

Isn't that what I said?