Idiots Who Come To Thailand.

chiangmaikelly

I could go on. But you get the idea I hope. This country is full of guys who make little or no effort to learn about Thailand ,the people or the culture. I personnally have given up on meeting men here who really know why they are here.

They came here for the girls, doesn't make them idiots, they don't have to know anything about Thailand.

I don't find talking to Thai people all that interesting ..... the ones in my village don't seem to know very much about anything.

And Thai culture, what's that, glitzy temples, black magic, ghosts and lottery numbers?

Not that I dislike Thais, my wife and children are Thai, but generally they are dull (well the farmers are, I only know farmers).

Oh, and Thai language, not all that useful to learn, and which Thai language would you learn?

Lanna, Lao, Southern, Central. My village all speak a Lanna version of Lao, when I go to CM, almost completely different Lanna.

Ma Guey garr in CM = Ma Gaew in Nan = Bak See Daa in Issan = Farang in BK

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3kg of beef per capita/year would work out to about 30 times a year considering how small an amount of meat is used in most Thai dishes. I am guessing about 100 grams per dish. Given that some people eat none, that would mean that some people eat it fairly often.

It tastes fine as a larb.

You are never going to convince this guy that Thais eat beef. For someone who has supposedly lived here for 40 years he's not particularly well-informed. I could take him to 10 Thai restaurants within a 5 min drive that all serve beef, and I don't live in a tourist area. Thais generally don't eat big portions of any kind of meat, be it chicken, pork or beef. They usually have it cut up into small pieces and mixed in with their rice and veggies. There's also a big beef section in Macro that doesn't only cater to falangs, I see Thais buying beef there as well. He started by saying "Thais don't eat beef", but now he concedes that some Thais eat beef, just not a lot.

I was wrong I gave you meat eaten numbers. Beef is lower. About 3kg per person per year. So it is really a small amount. Sorry Giddy it is quite a bit smaller than I said. The average person gets one Big Mac every other month. I think that's right. So I guess Thai people really don't eat beef do they?

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

RAJABHAT SAKHONNAKON UNIVERSITY ; THAILAND

www.dld.go.th/pvlo_sno/data51/Tajima.pdf

And all the Thais, at Mc Donald or Burger King, they only ordering french fries and fishmacs/burger, huu?

The biggest seller at McDonalds is the fish sandwich. If you look at the menu you will also see it is not the same as a Western Mc Donalds. Come visit Thailand sometime.

What do you think I am an idiot too? They wanted to go to Pattaya. Have you ever been to the Hilton in Pattaya? Ever been to Central in Pattaya? They both are unique.

I've never stayed at the Hilton Pattaya, nor would I wish too.

But pray tell ... what is so unique about Central (Shopping Centre) in Pattaya?

I'll give you this chiangmaikelly ... you have replied to many posts here ... except my question.

I'm tired of talking about beef.

Actually I wished I never offered my gf her that medium well done steak with mushroom sauce in the local RSL ... whistling.gif

For me? I like the buffet lunch at the Hilton which you can enter from Central Mall. Also the bed seating at the movies.

Or maybe you want to say laying. They have a VIP lounge where they serve food and drinks while you wait for the movie to start.

A few Russian women shop there and they are fun to watch (short shorts). The Japanese tourists shop there also fun to watch and of course the KPop people. It is right on the Gulf and you can see boats and watch the scammers with the jet skis fight with Indian tourists. Chocolate shops. A good food court.

It is a central place to meet people for business. A lot of quiet restaurants so you can have a business meeting.

Not to far from Soi Six and other Thai cultural activities. One side of the mall is Beach Road and the other 2nd road so you can get transportation both ways (both one way streets).

I was wrong I gave you meat eaten numbers. Beef is lower. About 3kg per person per year. So it is really a small amount. Sorry Giddy it is quite a bit smaller than I said. The average person gets one Big Mac every other month. I think that's right. So I guess Thai people really don't eat beef do they?

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

And all the Thais, at Mc Donald or Burger King, they only ordering french fries and fishmacs/burger, huu?

The biggest seller at McDonalds is the fish sandwich. If you look at the menu you will also see it is not the same as a Western Mc Donalds. Come visit Thailand sometime.

I have lived here nearly 4 years and had numerous lengthy stays before that. I don't know why you keep mentioning McDonalds, 90% of Thais have never eaten in a McDonalds. Do you think that's the only place a Thai is likely to consume beef? For someone who knows so much about what Thais eat there, it seems that may be your favourite place to eat. You really have assimilated.

What do you think I am an idiot too? They wanted to go to Pattaya. Have you ever been to the Hilton in Pattaya? Ever been to Central in Pattaya? They both are unique.

I'll give you this chiangmaikelly ... you have replied to many posts here ... except my question.

Actually I wished I never offered my gf her that medium well done steak with mushroom sauce in the local RSL ... whistling.gif

For me? I like the buffet lunch at the Hilton which you can enter from Central Mall. Also the bed seating at the movies.

Or maybe you want to say laying. They have a VIP lounge where they serve food and drinks while you wait for the movie to start.

A few Russian women shop there and they are fun to watch (short shorts). The Japanese tourists shop there also fun to watch and of course the KPop people. It is right on the Gulf and you can see boats and watch the scammers with the jet skis fight with Indian tourists. Chocolate shops. A good food court.

It is a central place to meet people for business. A lot of quiet restaurants so you can have a business meeting.

Not to far from Soi Six and other Thai cultural activities. One side of the mall is Beach Road and the other 2nd road so you can get transportation both ways (both one way streets).

So basically it's the place where you go to perve on women in shorts?

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

I have lived here nearly 4 years and had numerous lengthy stays before that. I don't know why you keep mentioning McDonalds, 90% of Thais have never eaten in a McDonalds. Do you think that's the only place a Thai is likely to consume beef? For someone who knows so much about what Thais eat there, it seems that may be your favourite place to eat. You really have assimilated.

No I agree. Most Thais don't eat at McDonalds. They eat at places where beef even in small quantities is not available at all. But if you ever do go to McDonalds report back to us on what the Thai people are eating.

So basically it's the place where you go to perve on women in shorts?

Posting on Thai Visa is interesting. The above post has one small reference to Russian women in short shorts. An unusual sight in Thailand for me. So I would notice them. But if you don't mind, what is perving? I don't think I have ever done it. Skiing and dancing but I don't think perving. How does one perve? Is it a verb?

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

The fish sandwich, and the fried chicken. I hardly ever see a Thai person eat a Big Macs or Double Cheeseburger, it's always fried chicken, chicken or fish sandwich, and fries. McDonalds doesn't even OFFER the Quarter Pounder in Thailand, even though they do next door in Malaysia. The reason is there is not enough demand, as most do not eat beef. A few do, and the Thai Muslims do, and almost all the foreigners, but it's not enough for them to bother.

As for the 3kg per year, a good chunk of that is from foreigners too so the real number is even lower.

BHUMIJAI FARM COMPANY

The fish sandwich, and the fried chicken. I hardly ever see a Thai person eat a Big Macs or Double Cheeseburger, it's always fried chicken, chicken or fish sandwich, and fries. McDonalds doesn't even OFFER the Quarter Pounder in Thailand, even though they do next door in Malaysia. The reason is there is not enough demand, as most do not eat beef. A few do, and the Thai Muslims do, and almost all the foreigners, but it's not enough for them to bother.

As for the 3kg per year, a good chunk of that is from foreigners too so the real number is even lower.

Then tell me, why do nearly all the Thai restaurants in my area (non-tourist) have beef on the menu? If you want a spicy salad you are given the choice of beef, pork, chicken or seafood, as with a lot of other Thai dishes. Even the noodle restaurants use beef both as garnishing and for stock. It seems like some falang here eat only at McDonalds.

Edited by giddyup

I just woke up, so I am getting into it slowly this morning. This thread is interesting. I thought I would mention the topic again.

I got to SEA years ago and I was interested to learn as much as I could about the place.

Older people are usually a good source of information because they have lived a long time and will take the time to relate their experiences.

I asked many, many older people for advice when I first got here. Language was of course the first good advice. So I went to college here and took courses in Thai.

So what is this thread about? It is about people who can't hear the answer to a question after they have asked it. This is a constant theme on Thai Visa. A poster asks is does my young Thai girlfriend really love me and everyone tells the OP that she does not. She only loves your money. Normally the response is 90 to 1. But the OP can't hear it. So he argues with everyone who tells him the truth. Another poster asks, “do I need to learn Thai?” 90 to 1 everyone tells him yes. If you can't speak Thai you are deaf and dumb in Thailand. But the poster can't hear the answer so argues with everyone.

And that is what this thread is about. The new guy in Thailand asked what to eat. I told him anything except the beef. He ate the beef anyway and agreed after he ate it that it was the worst beef he had ever ingested.

Why can't the people on this thread understand that simple point? Well, that is the point of the thread isn't it.

Then tell me, why do nearly all the Thai restaurants in my area (non-tourist) have beef on the menu? If you want a spicy salad you are given the choice of beef, pork, chicken or seafood, as with a lot of other Thai dishes. Even the noodle restaurants use beef both as garnishing and for stock. It seems like some falang here eat only at McDonalds.

The vast majority of Thai restaurants near me do not have beef on the menu. A Muslim restaurant, and an Isaan BBQ, and the rest don't even offer it. None of the street stalls sell it. The local grocery store does not sell beef, the closest Big C does not sell beef, the closest Tesco just started selling it this year (I've noticed an increase in farang lately, maybe the reason, as the cheese selection has also improved).

Another poster asks, “do I need to learn Thai?” 90 to 1 everyone tells him yes. If you can't speak Thai you are deaf and dumb in Thailand. But the poster can't hear the answer so argues with everyone.

The answers to 'do you need to learn Thai' is usually about 50/50.

But then I always ask which Thai language should you learn .... and there's never an answer, wonder why?

I'm guessing here, but suspect those who are pro learning Thai, never get far enough in their learning to understand the Thais around them aren't all speaking the same language.

@CMK

What flavour of Thai did you learn? (40 years, you should read, write and speak fluently)

What flavour of Thai does your wife speak as her FIRST language?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Does anyone have any interesting stories about idiots who pick on an incidental and go off on it, completely missing the point of the thread?

Getting back to the OP's point, I really don't think ice-hockey goalies could cope with Australian Rules football simply because it calls for quite a different build. Perhap rugby league might be more appropriate.

http://www.canadarugbyleague.com/site/eng/index.php

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Lemme clarify it for the luddites. I been in and around Thailand 40 years. New guy three days. We are in a restaurant. I say to new guy; everything is good but don't eat the beef steak. The pork chops are great, the chicken breast is good but don't eat the beef steak. Have anything you want but avoid the beef steak because it is awful. Waiter comes and the new guy says, "I'll have a T bone steak!"

Perhaps the new guy doesn't want to listen to know it alls sticking their big nose in his business. Perhaps he would like to make his own decisions and let fate take its course.

Best the OP sticks to his own business and offers his 400 years experience to someone that actually wants to listen to him

I'm surprised you weren't told to do one.

But therein was his problem, he wasn't making his own decision, he took the advice of the Thai GF over the advice from his friend.

Big head v Little head................wink.png

The vast majority of Thai restaurants near me do not have beef on the menu. A Muslim restaurant, and an Isaan BBQ, and the rest don't even offer it. None of the street stalls sell it. The local grocery store does not sell beef, the closest Big C does not sell beef, the closest Tesco just started selling it this year (I've noticed an increase in farang lately, maybe the reason, as the cheese selection has also improved).

why did you choose to live in a dominantly Hindu area? huh.png

I just woke up, so I am getting into it slowly this morning. This thread is interesting. I thought I would mention the topic again.

I got to SEA years ago and I was interested to learn as much as I could about the place.

Older people are usually a good source of information because they have lived a long time and will take the time to relate their experiences.

I asked many, many older people for advice when I first got here. Language was of course the first good advice. So I went to college here and took courses in Thai.

So what is this thread about? It is about people who can't hear the answer to a question after they have asked it. This is a constant theme on Thai Visa. A poster asks is does my young Thai girlfriend really love me and everyone tells the OP that she does not. She only loves your money. Normally the response is 90 to 1. But the OP can't hear it. So he argues with everyone who tells him the truth. Another poster asks, “do I need to learn Thai?” 90 to 1 everyone tells him yes. If you can't speak Thai you are deaf and dumb in Thailand. But the poster can't hear the answer so argues with everyone.

And that is what this thread is about. The new guy in Thailand asked what to eat. I told him anything except the beef. He ate the beef anyway and agreed after he ate it that it was the worst beef he had ever ingested.

Why can't the people on this thread understand that simple point? Well, that is the point of the thread isn't it.

why don't you understand that you possess a wealth of "no idea" about beef?

When the going gets rough the giddyup get going. I already told you I dropped the great majority from my posting vocab.

Thais don't eat beef. When was the last time you saw a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand. Are any of the great steak houses in Thailand?

Congrats Chiangmaikelly, you have dragged this troll post out really well up to now. You don't give anyone an out with a stupid statement like "Thais don't eat beef". Course they do, some more than most westerners I know

And <deleted> has a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand got to do with beef??..................rolleyes.gif

Edited by chrisinth

Wellthere you go. The vast majority of restaurants near me do sell beef, as do Makro, Tesco, Big C, Big C Extra, Friendship and Foodland.

Does anyone have any interesting stories about idiots who pick on an incidental and go off on it, completely missing the point of the thread?

Getting back to the OP's point, I really don't think ice-hockey goalies could cope with Australian Rules football simply because it calls for quite a different build. Perhap rugby league might be more appropriate.

http://www.canadarug...e/eng/index.php

SC

In the old days the goalies were indeed fearless or nuts. Who would stand in a cage and allow professional athletes to propel solid frozen objects at your face at 150km/h. Common sense intervened and the face mask became required equipment.

That being said, Aussie rules football is good fun, but lets see them do it on ice.

Lemme clarify it for the luddites. I been in and around Thailand 40 years. New guy three days. We are in a restaurant. I say to new guy; everything is good but don't eat the beef steak. The pork chops are great, the chicken breast is good but don't eat the beef steak. Have anything you want but avoid the beef steak because it is awful. Waiter comes and the new guy says, "I'll have a T bone steak!"

Perhaps the new guy doesn't want to listen to know it alls sticking their big nose in his business. Perhaps he would like to make his own decisions and let fate take its course.

Best the OP sticks to his own business and offers his 400 years experience to someone that actually wants to listen to him

I'm surprised you weren't told to do one.

But therein was his problem, he wasn't making his own decision, he took the advice of the Thai GF over the advice from his friend.

Big head v Little head................wink.png

Or is that given "head" and not...thumbsup.gif

Wellthere you go. The vast majority of restaurants near me do sell beef, as do Makro, Tesco, Big C, Big C Extra, Friendship and Foodland.

Friendship market, isn't that a Pattaya place? Of course all the restaurants in that area have beef.

http://www.canadarug...e/eng/index.php

SC

In the old days the goalies were indeed fearless or nuts. Who would stand in a cage and allow professional athletes to propel solid frozen objects at your face at 150km/h. Common sense intervened and the face mask became required equipment.

That being said, Aussie rules football is good fun, but lets see them do it on ice.

Exactly. The same set of skills that are required to run straight at several blokes much bigger than you, or to dive at the knees of a much bigger bloke charging towards you. Whearas footballers need the ability to leap high in the sky with arms outstretched for a catch, recklessly negligent of the adage "what goes up must come down" and with complete disregard for anyone else who maybe similarly leaping, or closing in for a tackle.

SC

When the going gets rough the giddyup get going. I already told you I dropped the great majority from my posting vocab.

Thais don't eat beef. When was the last time you saw a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand. Are any of the great steak houses in Thailand?

Congrats Chiangmaikelly, you have dragged this troll post out really well up to now. You don't give anyone an out with a stupid statement like "Thais don't eat beef". Course they do, some more than most westerners I know

And <deleted> has a Prime Rib restaurant in Thailand got to do with beef??..................rolleyes.gif

You are never going to win with this guy, and he has the temerity to say people don't listen. He seems to base his beefless Thailand argument purely from his McDonald's eating experience, which I get the impression is his restaurant of choice.

Friendship market, isn't that a Pattaya place? Of course all the restaurants in that area have beef.

Yes, it is in Pattaya, but I also said I live in a non-tourist area where 99% of the restaurants cater to Thai tastes, but also serve beef.