Bmw To Use Thailand As Manufacturing Base For Big Bikes

webfact

BMW to use Thailand as manufacturing base for big bikes

BANGKOK, Sept 7 - BMW is to use Thailand as a base for manufacturing big bikes, according to Thailand's industry minister.

Pongsvas Svasti said after a BMW Group executive from Germany, Frank-Peter Arndt, met with him Friday to affirm the company will use Thailand as base to manufacture its big bike for further domestic sales and exports.

Mr Arndt said the company sees continuous opportunity growth of Thailand's automotive industry and that the country is ASEAN's main production centre.

The big bike model with 250-500cc engines has been in growing demand in the worldwide market.

BMW asked Thailand to train high quality employees, to which the industry ministry agreed to help.

Also, Thailand's adjustment of its vehicle excise tax system in accord with carbon dioxide emission levels will match BMW's vehicle development standards.

Meanwhile, Mr Pongsvas said he believed that the government's minimum wage raise of Bt300 to be launched nationwide next year would not affect big industries, particularly automotive industry, for employees are already hired at a higher rate than Bt300.

In a related matter, Board of Investment (BOI) secretary-general Atchaka Sibunruang said BOI benefit adjustment on big bikes investment is provided to investors from the standard of 500cc engine to lower to 250cc engine in order that Thailand becomes ASEAN's big bikes manufacturing base. However, the benefits are conditional--all engines must be made in Thailand.

The move has attracted other bike manufacturers for more investments including Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, and Ducati.

Honda and Ducati produce bikes with 250cc engines but less than 500cc, together at around 380,000 units/year. Triumph and Ducati manufacture 67,000 units/year of big bikes in Thailand.

The BOI aims to make Thailand ASEAN's big bike production hub in the coming years, hoping that each maker will manufacture around 100,000 units/year for further lowered production cost. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-07

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news but such a poorly written article the mind boggles. coffee1.gif

Who wants to take a guess at what BMW model(s) will be produced in Thailand first?

AFAIK BMW doesn't make any small displacement motorcycles (the smallest BMW scooter is 650cc (647cc to be entirely accurate)) so perhaps they're coming up with something entirely new for production in Thailand?

AFAIK BMW doesn't make any small displacement motorcycles (the smallest BMW scooter is 650cc (647cc to be entirely accurate)) so perhaps they're coming up with something entirely new for production in Thailand?

BMW makes plenty of 250cc bikes - just Google them and you'll find plenty.

Maybe you can help me, because the only results I get are 60 year old BMW bikes.

They stopped making the C1 over 10 years ago. It was a small displacement scooter, but sold terribly.

Presently as far as I know BMW only offers a pair of 647cc maxi scooters:

But go ahead and share that google link why don't ya :)

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Somehow I think the old BMW R26 and R27 might have a bit of trouble getting past Thai emissions ;)

Maybe you can help me, because the only results I get are 60 year old BMW bikes.

Could we soon be seeing these all over Thailand? laugh.png

101167_3930_bmw_1965_r27_250cc.jpg

Well,in fact I have seen plenty of them over the years but I can't believe they are original.Maybe someone in the know can jump in.

There are a number of classic BMW bikes in Thailand, most are beautifully cared for and ridden sparingly at events like the GS GetTogether. The smallest BMW bike made today is the G450X, an enduro bike and the starting point for the bikes used in the Dakar and ridden by people like Simon Pavey.

In Thailand the most popular BMW is the 1200GS followed by the 1200GSA where A standards for Adventure. GS is short for 'on-road/off-road' in German... Thereafter the touring bikes are around (RS and RT)

Hope that helps.

I wish! Had one in BEijing and loved it, with a side car of course

For the people who can read Thai, the original Thai version of the story go's a little bit different... So you can stop checking your piggy bank....

http://www.mcot.net/...age/410154.html

Why wouldn't you tell us how it's different? crazy.gif

Basically BMW will produce CARS in Thailand for domestic and export market... They interested in Big Bike, but no commitment

Probably 60 years old and still better than a new Indian made Royal Enfield of the same capacity.

For the people who can read Thai, the original Thai version of the story go's a little bit different... So you can stop checking your piggy bank....

Basically BMW will produce CARS in Thailand for domestic and export market... They interested in Big Bike, but no commitment

BMW has been manufacturing cars in Thailand for many years already. Care to try again? coffee1.gif

BMW has been manufacturing cars in Thailand for many years already. Care to try again? coffee1.gif

I understand you cannot read Thai, that's not a problem – you can always ask your girlfriend/wife, if you still have one, to translate it a bit for you...

Maybe try to copy the text into Google Translate... that seriously gives funny results...hahaha If you really want to know what they write hire a translator http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/employment/offering/english-thai-translator-for-hire-25729.html

But I warn you, the result is not much different than what I say... sure they talk also about a few more things... but not much on topic of this discussion ...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard, looks like you are just embarrassing yourself again. The article clearly mentions big bikes on a number of occasions and also the cc engine size and other manufacturers such as Kawasaki, Triumph and Ducati. Like Tony said, BMW have been manufacturing cars for some years already, it isn't about cars! This is also confirmed in a story on the website of the newspaper we can't mention.

One of these at the local BMW dealership 11.000 dollars used.

Richard, looks like you are just embarrassing yourself again. The article clearly mentions big bikes on a number of occasions and also the cc engine size and other manufacturers such as Kawasaki, Triumph and Ducati. Like Tony said, BMW have been manufacturing cars for some years already, it isn't about cars! This is also confirmed in a story on the website of the newspaper we can't mention.

Sorry guys, I cannot make up things, the Thai version of the press release says clearly something else as the English version the OP copied on this forum. And yes I know that BMW is making cars in Thailand for several years I believe... still I cannot change the fact what they write in Thai

Sure the article also talks about Ducati, Honda, Triumph and Kawasaki, but that all has little to do with the header of this thread which says “BMW to use Thailand as manufacturing base for big bikes”, what is incorrect...

Apparently only the people who cannot read Thai complain that my “short” translation is incorrect, if so, please stop bothering and translate it better....

Maybe somebody else can look at the text and give his inside, hard to believe I'm the only one who can read Thai....

"กระทรวงอุตสาหกรรม 7 ก.ย.- ม.ร.ว.พงษ์สวัสดิ์ สวัสดิวัตน์ รัฐมนตรีว่าการกระทรวงอุตสาหกรรม กล่าวภายหลัง นายแฟรงค์-ปีเตอร์ อาร์นท์ กรรมการบริหารของ บริษัท BMW AG จากประเทศเยอรมนี เข้าพบว่า BMW ยืนยันใช้ไทยเป็นฐานการประกอบรถยนต์เพื่อจำหน่ายในประเทศและส่งออก เพราะมองเห็นโอกาสการขยายตัวอย่างต่อเนื่องของอุตสาหกรรมยานยนต์ในประเทศไทย และเป็นศูนย์การผลิตสำคัญของอาเซียน

ทั้งนี้ BMW มีความสนใจที่จะขยายการผลิตมายังรถจักรยานยนต์ขนาดใหญ่ หรือ BIG BIKE ที่มีขนาดเครื่องยนต์ตั้งแต่ 250-500 ซีซี ซึ่งเป็นตลาดที่กำลังเติบโตทั้งโลก และ BMW จะขอรับการสนับสนุนจากประเทศไทยในการพัฒนาบุคลากรให้มีคุณภาพสูง ตามโครงการ 1 มหาวิทยาลัย 1 โรงงาน ซึ่งกระทรวงอุตสาหกรรมรับที่จะให้ความช่วยเหลือต่อไป"

Source: Mcot http://www.mcot.net/...age/410154.html

Edited by Richard-BKK

You'd think the Thai reporters at the Bangkok Post would be able to read Thai and they confirm it is about bikes, not cars.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I don't know, also it's not important. I comment on the article posted by WEBFACT, who posted a translated article from MCOT, see original English version on MCOT website http://www.mcot.net/...age/410125.html

If you look back to post Nr. 14, I wrote that the original Thai version of the story go's a little bit different.... (as in the translation is not correct)... See the original Thai version MCOT and compare them http://www.mcot.net/...age/410154.html

Is the news incorrect, I have no idea I only say that the THAI and ENGLISH versions of the article tell a DIFFERENT story

Edited by Richard-BKK

Also I cannot find any information on the Bangkok Post's Auto page, which is related to BMW starting to manufacture motorcycles in Thailand. http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto

Also if I search with Google in Thai or English for “BMW manufacturing motorcycles in Thailand” I get no information which confirms that BMW will start producing motorcycles in Thailand....

• Like 1

You'd think the Thai reporters at the Bangkok Post would be able to read Thai and they confirm it is about bikes, not cars.

I looked at the forum rules and you can actual link to a Bangkok Post article (as long it's related to the discussion), what you cannot do is copy content from a Bangkok Post article on this forum.

So please provide the link in which the Bangkok Post says that BMW will manufacture motorcycles in Thailand....

I looked at the forum rules and you can actual link to a Bangkok Post article (as long it's related to the discussion), what you cannot do is copy content from a Bangkok Post article on this forum.

So please provide the link in which the Bangkok Post says that BMW will manufacture motorcycles in Thailand....

Your wish is my command.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/311446/bmw-wants-thailand-for-big-bike-hub