Bmw To Use Thailand As Manufacturing Base For Big Bikes

webfact

You'd think the Thai reporters at the Bangkok Post would be able to read Thai and they confirm it is about bikes, not cars.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I looked at the forum rules and you can actual link to a Bangkok Post article (as long it's related to the discussion), what you cannot do is copy content from a Bangkok Post article on this forum.

So please provide the link in which the Bangkok Post says that BMW will manufacture motorcycles in Thailand....

Your wish is my command.

http://www.bangkokpo...or-big-bike-hub

You can read English right? “BMW AG, the German carmaker, is keen on making Thailand its factory hub for big bikes, says Industry Minister M.R. Pongsvas Svasti.”

Is keen on making” doesn't actually say that they are going to do it... It says more something as we are interested...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think the Thai reporters at the Bangkok Post would be able to read Thai and they confirm it is about bikes, not cars.

I looked at the forum rules and you can actual link to a Bangkok Post article (as long it's related to the discussion), what you cannot do is copy content from a Bangkok Post article on this forum.

So please provide the link in which the Bangkok Post says that BMW will manufacture motorcycles in Thailand....

Your wish is my command.

http://www.bangkokpo...or-big-bike-hub

You can read English right? “BMW AG, the German carmaker, is keen on making Thailand its factory hub for big bikes, says Industry Minister M.R. Pongsvas Svasti.”

Is keen on making” doesn't actually say that they are going to do it... It says more something as we are interested...

Richard, do you wear big shoes, a wig and a red nose by any chance? ;)

Its fine... you can believe what you want... but if I read an article which says “keen to” and “details of the new investment remain unclear and executives declined to comment yesterday” I know that things are not so in the pocket as you like to believe...

Still I surely hope that BMW with its Indian partner setup shop in Thailand...

ทั้งนี้ BMW มีความสนใจที่จะขยายการผลิตมายังรถจักรยานยนต์ขนาดใหญ่ หรือ BIG BIKE ที่มีขนาดเครื่องยนต์ตั้งแต่ 250-500 ซีซี ซึ่งเป็นตลาดที่กำลังเติบโตทั้งโลก

และ BMW จะขอรับการสนับสนุนจากประเทศไทยใน (BMW will ask for cooperation from Thailand)การพัฒนาบุคลากร(develop personnel)ให้มีคุณภาพสูง(for high quality) ตามโครงการ (for the project)1 มหาวิทยาลัย (1 University)1 โรงงาน (1 factory) ซึ่งกระทรวงอุตสาหกรรม(The Ministry of Industry).รับที่จะให้ความช่วยเหลือต่อไป (Ask that the Ministry WILL give support in the future.

Looks to me they will set up a sort of training academy to train the technicians in assembling BMW motorcycles in the 250-500cc range, and they will ask the Ministry of Industry for their cooperation, and of course incentives to manufacture here since the government is handing them out right now.

I just hope the factory isnt going to be in Ayuddhaya, then it would be better to make jet skis

with more and more big bikes hitting the roads in Thailand isn't it time they changed the motorway rules and set a CC restriction rather than a total ban like they do in the west

While that would certainly be nice I rather doubt it's any kind of priority for the Thai govt.

You don't have to go to "the West" to find biker friendly places to ride.

I can't tell you what a PLEASURE it was to ride in Malaysia where motorcycles are allowed on all roads and the toll roads are FREE to bikes.

I just wonder if the BMW execs know that the Thai BMW Dealers can ban someone from ALL of the dealers in Thai requiring repairs/adjustments that are required under warranty as has happened in CM. This happened to a friend with a new Beemer F800.

After 6 or 7 visits to his local "dealer" unsuccessfully to stop the clutch slipping he verbally vented his frustration at the service manager and was then banned/denied service at all BMW outlets in Thailand. A friend actually rectified the problem in less than 1 hour after reading the service manual.

I speculate that as the manual does not have Thai language it is completely ignored by the "service technicians".

I just wonder if the BMW execs know that the Thai BMW Dealers can ban someone from ALL of the dealers in Thai requiring repairs/adjustments that are required under warranty as has happened in CM. This happened to a friend with a new Beemer F800.

After 6 or 7 visits to his local "dealer" unsuccessfully to stop the clutch slipping he verbally vented his frustration at the service manager and was then banned/denied service at all BMW outlets in Thailand. A friend actually rectified the problem in less than 1 hour after reading the service manual.

I speculate that as the manual does not have Thai language it is completely ignored by the "service technicians".

One of many typical Thai ways to solve a problem. Even BMW will not be able to change this.

with more and more big bikes hitting the roads in Thailand isn't it time they changed the motorway rules and set a CC restriction rather than a total ban like they do in the west

While that would certainly be nice I rather doubt it's any kind of priority for the Thai govt.

I can't tell you what a PLEASURE it was to ride in Malaysia where motorcycles are allowed on all roads and the toll roads are FREE to bikes.

If it has nothing to do with corruption Possibilities and getting money in the pockets of officials, its not on the agenda.

In my home country, I grew up with Minimum ccm who had been allowed on Autobahn-Highways 40-50 years ago.

But TIT !sad.png

One of many typical Thai ways to solve a problem. Even BMW will not be able to change this.

This is not Thai policy, large corporations the world over also have this type of policy. Many large corporations do not tolerate verbal abuse targeted towards their workers. Ebay, Paypal, Hostgator to name a few.

This is not Thai policy, large corporations the world over also have this type of policy. Many large corporations do not tolerate verbal abuse targeted towards their workers. Ebay, Paypal, Hostgator to name a few.

You say "verbal abuse", but we do not know what has happened exactly.

The companies you named all make their money with online services. Easy to stop answering mails or telephone. Real life is a bit more difficult. And selling an expensive motorbike, than not beeing able to do simple service and than ban the customer completely because he got a bit upset after waisting a lot of time... Sounds not like a clever customer service to me. Its hard for a thai to say "Sorry sir, we made a mistake". Especially if they didn't even have realized they made a mistake. But this is how good service for high price merchandise items should be.

You are right of course, customer service can be bad all over the world.

I saw the BMW scoters at this years Bangkok Motor Show - very expensive for a scooter.

Now if they were going to manufacture these Beemers i would be in rapture .

800px-BMW_R1200C_Phuket.jpg

If their gonna make that monster i would prefer they stay in germany...

This particular model is no longer produced, it was a BMW try at a cruiser bike.

...and if i read the article correctly, a BOI condition of decent tax rate for these Rayongerische Motorenwerke big bikes is that the engines are manufactured in Thailand. sick.gif Line forms to the rear for these New [old?] World Bimmers. Oh, and I won't be in it.

You don't have to go to "the West" to find biker friendly places to ride.

Agreed 110%. Just make sure youre on a bike that can carry big speed against the homeboys with their large Benzes, yes, compensating for small other bits. Used to piss em off with my Cagiva Mito 125 seven speed. That lil screamer could hold 200 KPH on a flat stretch if I was fully tucked in. Of course they could go faster on an open stretch - problem was there werent any around KL and I'd dice on through while they were bunged up with the backmarkers. Great fun!

• 2 weeks later...

...and if i read the article correctly, a BOI condition of decent tax rate for these Rayongerische Motorenwerke big bikes is that the engines are manufactured in Thailand. sick.gif Line forms to the rear for these New [old?] World Bimmers. Oh, and I won't be in it.

Doubt it. Ducati doesn't manufacture engines here.

Bike market in Thailand is getting better and better, it's amazing!!

• 2 months later...

I stopped using the official channel for maintenance and support because they verge on incapable. There are better BMW mechanics in CM and Bkk than the reps and your mate is better off not having to deal with them.

You say "verbal abuse", but we do not know what has happened exactly.

The companies you named all make their money with online services. Easy to stop answering mails or telephone. Real life is a bit more difficult. And selling an expensive motorbike, than not beeing able to do simple service and than ban the customer completely because he got a bit upset after waisting a lot of time... Sounds not like a clever customer service to me. Its hard for a thai to say "Sorry sir, we made a mistake". Especially if they didn't even have realized they made a mistake. But this is how good service for high price merchandise items should be.

You are right of course, customer service can be bad all over the world.

these are what I'm talking about Thais will probably love em probably a few ferang to just what Thailand needs more scooters lol

post-105817-13470022329156_thumb.jpg

Thais will probably love em ?? err where are the other 3 or 4 people going to sit/stand ?

• 4 months later...

For everybody dreaming about BMW going to manufacture motorcycles in Thailand, you can stop dreaming. Today BMW signed an agreement with TVS Motor Company from India and they will start the development and produce motorcycles in the segment below 500cc in Chennai, India.

The motorcycles will be distributed worldwide so it's likely we will get them also.... but not made in Thailand....

• Like 1

For everybody dreaming about BMW going to manufacture motorcycles in Thailand, you can stop dreaming. Today BMW signed an agreement with TVS Motor Company from India and they will start the development and produce motorcycles in the segment below 500cc in Chennai, India.

The motorcycles will be distributed worldwide so it's likely we will get them also.... but not made in Thailand....

Screw that man.

Bad news really. India of course offers cheap labour, costs and quality much better than China but not better than Thailand.

Then maybe bmw produce bikes bigger than 500 cc in thailand?:lol:

Screw that man.

Bad news really. India of course offers cheap labour, costs and quality much better than China but not better than Thailand.

Then maybe bmw produce bikes bigger than 500 cc in thailand?:lol:

You have to consider the source of this information. Take with a pinch of salt.

Screw that man.

Then maybe bmw produce bikes bigger than 500 cc in thailand?laugh.png

You have to consider the source of this information. Take with a pinch of salt.

Google's your friend. I don't believe anything Mr. Richard says - nothing personal, just past performance.

But this one seems to be - well if not outright true, at least based on facts: BMW will produce in India.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/339080,bmw-motorrad-signs-partnership-with-tvs.aspx

I do want to point out what it doesn't mean though: It does NOT say anything about Thailand. Whether or not any BMW bikes will be made here is not mentioned.

IMO a good chance they'll stick to India initially for this brand new segment though.

Edited by nikster

I think BMW are going to set up a manufacturing base in India for the same reason Triumph has gone down that route - they see India with it's growing middle class as being a huge potential market for their products. With German and UK management in place in the respective companies quality will be to it's usual high standard. Even the Chinese are capable of building decent bikes for established manufacturers. The Suzuki Inazuma looks well made and most of the Yamaha YBR125s sold in the UK and Europe have been manufactured in Yamaha's China facility.

I think BMW are going to set up a manufacturing base in India for the same reason Triumph has gone down that route - they see India with it's growing middle class as being a huge potential market for their products. With German and UK management in place in the respective companies quality will be to it's usual high standard. Even the Chinese are capable of building decent bikes for established manufacturers. The Suzuki Inazuma looks well made and most of the Yamaha YBR125s sold in the UK and Europe have been manufactured in Yamaha's China facility.

Is the Yamaha YBR125 sold in the UK not manufactured in India? According to this website http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/about/profile/index.html they make the YBR-125 in India...

Is the Yamaha YBR125 sold in the UK not manufactured in India? According to this website http://www.yamaha-motor-india.com/about/profile/index.html they make the YBR-125 in India...

The YBR125 has been in the UK since 2005 and was being made by Yamaha's China subsidiary. A guy who worked for me bought one to learn on and do his CBT and was impressed with the value for money. Production of the YBR in India followed later.