Trains In North Stopped As Wet Causes Sinkhole

Lite Beer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repairing this in only 10 days ? Spread over how many months would that be ?

Except for the filling there are a number of tests to be done before they can allow trains passing in that area again.

Anyway, I planned to catch a night train to BKK with wife and son on 01 October... future looks bright again.

Which year were you planning to go by train?

5555... I noticed I forgot to mention we were leaving still this year..

Oh Ohhh

"a 50m-wide 50m-deep sinkhole underneath railway"

that would be 15 story deep.

more probably it's only 50cm

I don't know if it's quite 50m deep, but definitely not 50cm.

post-5469-0-46655600-1347170882_thumb.jp

Sophon

Wow , i think a bridge would be the right thing here ..

Only need some allied POWs for free labour. :(

• Like 2

post-59034-0-70142800-1347194150_thumb.j

This is one of the most remarkable pictures I've ever seen. I would love to see a shot of the same section of track before the flash flood.

The article mentioned that "officials needed up to 10 days to fix the railway". I would think it would take them 10 days to come up with a sound plan for how to get the rail line back on firm ground and running again. A quick fix on this will just be washed away again next year. For a start they should be rounding up all the clowns who cut the trees down on nearby Khun Tan Mountain, and giving each of them a sturdy shovel.

Never having taken a train from Bangkok, please excuse this question.

Is this the rail link between Bangkok and Chiang Mai ?

This is one of the most remarkable pictures I've ever seen. I would love to see a shot of the same section of track before the flash flood.

The article mentioned that "officials needed up to 10 days to fix the railway". I would think it would take them 10 days to come up with a sound plan for how to get the rail line back on firm ground and running again. A quick fix on this will just be washed away again next year. For a start they should be rounding up all the clowns who cut the trees down on nearby Khun Tan Mountain, and giving each of them a sturdy shovel.

They should get the ones who paid them to help out also. Actually I don't believe they can fill a hole that size with the proper amount of compaction in it. They would do best to build a bridge. More than ten days. That long just to draw up proper plans. They would first have to test the existing ground and probably drill down to bed rock. Also widen it so the sides don't washout again.

• Like 1

Sophon

Picture tells a thousand words, excellent pic.

The Nation's photo is pretty tame. More descriptive images and video here:

http://www.dailynews.co.th/thailand/153990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSMu_C6WXAc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.dailynews.co.th/thailand/154179

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEKQsBSXimw&feature=youtu.be

Note that the original 3 to 10 day estimate has been ammended to "indefinitely."

update:

WET WEATHER

Lower North, upper Central regions lashed

The Nation

30190071-01_big.jpg

A road section in Laplae district in Uttaradit was washed away by the flood.

Residents in Uttaradit fighting floods

UTTARADIT: -- Flash floods have hit several provinces in the lower North and upper Central regions after days of heavy rain. Many urban areas are still inundated, with two districts in Uttaradit hit the hardest.

More than 300 households in Muang and Laplae districts have been affected, with a number of residents isolated, as a 100-metre stretch of road to a key bridge collapsed after being hit by strong currents. About 100 soldiers helped evacuate residents in the 300 homes, and gave relief supplies to them and others flood victims.

Panic reigned in five communities in Muang Uttaradit, which suffered a flash flood up to 50cm deep. Soldiers and relief workers provided assistance and supplies in the two districts, where water was about a metre deep.

A flood washed away the clay foundation under a 50-metre rail section in Lamphun's Mae Tha district, causing a halt to local services and delaying trains between Bangkok and the North from Saturday.

Repairs and filling in the foundation are underway. The work was expected to take 10 days, a local railway official said.

In Lampang, seven districts out of 13 have been declared disaster zones. This covers 81 tambons where thousands of people reside. A reservoir in Na Muen district in Nan was also reported to have cracked, which could risk a flash flood swamping 65 nearby homes.

A total of around 5,000 rai of farmland in Phichit, which has been under torrential rain for several days, has been flooded and most of the rice crop has started to rot. Districts in the upper areas were getting dry but those in lower parts were still inundated, provincial authorities said.

In Phitsanulok, a 100-metre section of a major road was blocked by mudslides, disrupting transport of farm products, commuters and with causing heavy congestion of trucks and large vehicles. Heavy machinery needed to dig out the mud was travelling slowly to the site because of bad traffic jams.

A mudslide warning was given to people in five districts: Nakhon Thai, Chart Trakan, Wang Thong, Wat Bote, and Nern Maprang, the provincial disaster relief office said.

Meanwhile, the situation in Tak improved after heavy rain stopped, but low-lying areas and those near rivers and water remained flooded. Major roads, including the local Asia Route, linking Um Phang, Phob Phra and Mae Sot districts remained flooded, partly damaged or blocked by mudslides, the Um Phang district chief Suchart Theekhasuk said.

There were also warnings about heavy rain in the North, with 80 per cent of areas expected to be hit, especially in Tak, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai. The weather bureau anticipated rain covering 40 per cent of areas elsewhere across the country, including Bangkok, with a slight drop in temperatures nationwide.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-10

Yes.

And probably time for me to change my avatar

So this economically important link will be out of order 'for a while' or most likely at least till after rainy, floody season?

Sophon

Wow , i think a bridge would be the right thing here ..

Only need some allied POWs for free labour. :(

Exactly Payboy. Some of us are old enough to remember. Excellent post.

it was

Edited by harrry

Sophon

Thanks for that pic. Quite astonishing!

I think that from the pic it's not a sinkhole at all, but a wash out caused by insufficient provision for drainage under the line.

Sophon

http://www.dailynews...thailand/153990

http://www.dailynews...thailand/154179

Note that the original 3 to 10 day estimate has been ammended to "indefinitely."

As thaibeachlover says, that is NOT a sinkhole! Talk about trying to underplay a situation. We have had 'sinkholes' appear in bangkok 2 m wide and 2 m deep! There is no way that they can fill that in, it would appear that some serious foundations need putting in and a bridge constructing. Perhaps they need to educate locals about the problems caused by deforestation.

Sophon

http://www.dailynews...thailand/153990

http://www.dailynews...thailand/154179

As thaibeachlover says, that is NOT a sinkhole! Talk about trying to underplay a situation. We have had 'sinkholes' appear in bangkok 2 m wide and 2 m deep! There is no way that they can fill that in, it would appear that some serious foundations need putting in and a bridge constructing. Perhaps they need to educate locals about the problems caused by deforestation.

I think you're all making a sinkhole out of a molehole - all they need is level the bottom, knock a load of those massive concrete posts you see them banging into building sites for foundations, a load of rocks for ballast and maybe a bit of concrete and Bob's your uncle (well actually he's my father)thumbsup.gif

Lazt weak I cudnt sphel Injunear an nar I iz wun. wink.png

Sinkhole beneath railway track in Lamphun filled

LAMPHUN, Sept 11 - The sinkhole beneath a railway track in Lamphun has been filled and train service is expected to resume today after a safety test.

The work completed last night after about 100 workers and engineers had laboured for three days amid difficulties from continuing heavy rain.

However, train service cannot resume this morning, as soggy soil may not safe. A test run of an empty train is due to be conducted first before the service resumes.

On Saturday, a flash flood caused a sinkhole under the railway track, leaving it dangling in the air and forcing Lamphun-Chiang Mai trains to be halted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

LAMPHUN, Sept 11 - The sinkhole beneath a railway track in Lamphun has been filled and train service is expected to resume today after a safety test.

The work completed last night after about 100 workers and engineers had laboured for three days amid difficulties from continuing heavy rain.

However, train service cannot resume this morning, as soggy soil may not safe. A test run of an empty train is due to be conducted first before the service resumes.

On Saturday, a flash flood caused a sinkhole under the railway track, leaving it dangling in the air and forcing Lamphun-Chiang Mai trains to be halted. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

They filled that whole hole in 3 days????????

• Like 1

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-11

They filled that whole hole in 3 days????????

I don't know how stable the fill job would be, maybe an experienced engineer could comment, if there are any in the forum.

If it's just sand it will not set in a few days, it need a wee bit of time. As it is a bit of rain might even help settling the sand. One way or another expect more sand to be needed and pray no more flashfloods. A mix of sand layers with empty sand sacks or rice sacks lashed together to form a mat could probably have strengthened the new earthen dam. Seems just a big mountain of sand though, no structure or structural strenght. I assume at least at the bottom they laid those big drainage pipes I saw in the clip posted before.

Impressive mobilisation of resources and a 'get the job done!' attitude. I'd be interested to know their strategy for stabilising the large quantity of sand they've used. Anyone keen on riding the first fully laden freight train across in a couple of days?