Nine-Year-Old Boy Steps On Booby Trap, Leg Ripped Off

Lite Beer

Nine-year-old boy steps on booby trap, leg ripped off

image_20120909140816A9DB77A2-0A0F-A24D-8104BAA48EF76E70.jpg

NARATHIWAT, Sept 9 – A nine-year-old lost his leg after he stepped on a booby trap in the violence-plagued province of Narathiwat.

A homemade bomb was placed in a tin and placed near a tree at the roadside.

Moohammadsafig Latae lost his left leg to the blast and was sent to hospital. Two friends, standing nearby, were knocked to the ground due to the force of the bomb. Both were sent to hospital where they were treated and later allowed to return home.

Police initially believed the bomb was placed by presumed insurgents, targeting state officials but the boy stepped on the hidden bomb first. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-09

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it is hard to contain anger - the empathy towards the Southern people is waning fast to the point where I would (almost) suggest round them all up, not matter what creed or colour, and send them back across the border. They have no rights and were given solace in being allowed to stay in Thailand against persecution and biting off the hand that feeds you is no way to express thanks. Destroying innocents lives due to religious BS and beliefs is unacceptable in the 21st century. And if this was a retaliatory gesture from a Thai person against Muslims, go with them. Thailand does not need you or your stupidity. And take your brainwashed families with you. angry.png

You are seemingly not aware that these people are Thai.

• Like 2

Sometimes it is hard to contain anger - the empathy towards the Southern people is waning fast to the point where I would (almost) suggest round them all up, not matter what creed or colour, and send them back across the border. They have no rights and were given solace in being allowed to stay in Thailand against persecution and biting off the hand that feeds you is no way to express thanks. Destroying innocents lives due to religious BS and beliefs is unacceptable in the 21st century. And if this was a retaliatory gesture from a Thai person against Muslims, go with them. Thailand does not need you or your stupidity. And take your brainwashed families with you. angry.png

What a Thai set this trap? Why would they do that? I thought it's all the Muslims doing the killing.

There always seems to be references to many in that area with dual citizenship, so they may not all be.

There always seems to be references to many in that area with dual citizenship, so they may not all be.

Sure, lets say there are some, but lets also say the overwhelming majority are of Thai citizenship. They may have more in common ethnically with the closer border regions of Malaysia, but they are still Thai.

• Like 2

Just a small point - they didn't cross the border. It is a better description to say the border crossed them.

:)

Edited by asiawatcher

It is Malay land!

You appear not to have the first clue as to the origins of the conflict nor of the history of the region.

And why are Thais living on Malaysian land?

It is not Malaysian land, Malaysia is a country formed from the remaining Malay kingdoms which were part of the British Empire.

The land was five Malay (and predominantly Muslim) provinces before it was annexed by Siam (Thailand did not exist at that time) which was agreed to by the British in 1909.

Read up on your history of the region. You'll need to dig deeper than just Wikipedia articles but they will give you an introduction.

• Like 2

Well I certainly agree with you about the terrorists but I don't really think Malaysia wants them or would take them.

I believe in human rites and if they catch the perpetrators of this horrible deed I could become a unbeliever real fast. In fact I have some ideas. But I am not inhuman and would let them rest every so often with a water board.

I don't think the 50 virgins would be able to make much use of them when they finally get there.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Two shot dead, boy loses leg

The Nation

NARATHIWAT: -- In Narathiwat yesterday, two men were handcuffed and shot dead in Janae district while a boy lost his left leg after stepping on a homemade bomb in Ra Ngae district.

The bodies of the two men identified as Riskan Jehmae, 27, and Bidee Mareh, 17, were found lying in a pool of blood in front of a car parked near a bridge.

Witnesses said the two were on their way back after having tea in the market in Tambon Janae.

An unknown number of men flagged down the car, forced the two to get out at gunpoint, disrobed them and tied their hands behind their backs before shooting them in the head.

There were traces of fighting but police could not find the spent cartridges.

Police believe a conflict over the drug trade was behind the attack but did not rule out the handiwork of separatists.

The explosive that hit the boy, aged nine, was disguised as a fish can weighing about half a kilogram that was buried beside a road running from Tambon Tanyongmas to Tambon Dusongyor.

He and his two friends were going to buy some snacks at a shop 50 metres from the scene.

The blast blew Muhammad Safi into the air and knocked down the other two boys.

The three victims were sent to Ra Ngae Hospital.

The boy who lost his leg remained in serious condition but the other two were eventually released.

Police suspect that the bomb was planted by separatists to maim security officers patrolling the village.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-10

Two dead, child loses leg in Thai south

NARATHIWAT, Thailand, Sept 10, 2012 (AFP) - Unknown gunmen killed a Muslim man and a teenager in Thailand's volatile south Sunday, as a separate incident saw a young boy lose a leg after he triggered a roadside bomb, police said.

The shooting victims, aged 27 and 17, were found with their hands tied behind their backs and gunshot wounds to their heads in Narathiwat -- one of three provinces in the Thai south where thousands have died in eight years of unrest.

Police said investigations into the deaths would consider a potential drug-related conflict as well as the insurgency.

Also on Sunday morning in the same province, a nine-year-old Muslim boy accidentally stepped on a bomb planted at the side of the road as he walked home from a grocery shop with two friends.

The explosion tore off the child's left leg and left the other boys, both also aged nine, with minor injuries.

A complex insurgency, without clearly stated aims, has plagued Thailand's far south near the border with Malaysia since 2004, claiming thousands of lives, both Buddhist and Muslim, with near-daily bomb or gun attacks.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-09-10

When Britain and France started to establish their Southeast Asian colonies, the Siamese rulers adapted, drew borders, and played the European power game. The Burmese rulers, for example, failed miserably at this, and ultimately lost their kingdom. Many people in Southeast Asia, and elsewhere in the world, found that the "borders crossed them." Others, like the Hmong, ended up without borders of their own.

An oft peddled myth that somehow the Siamese were more clever and thus eluded colonisation (mostly perpetuated by the Thais themselves) however the truth is the geographical position of Thailand between French Indochina and British Malay and India was the major factor in Siam avoiding colonisation.

The French had colonial aspirations over Siam, and the British de facto controlled Siam at the time and preferred it to be a neutral buffer zone between the two colonial powers and their major empires. The two powers locked horns several times throughout the 19th century over this issue.

Edited by FarangTalk

I hope the brave person who set the trap is really really proud...

Poor kid.

Yes agreed. And I hope we will see a headline where the terrorists have been caught, although I think the guys have difficulty in tracking a wounded elephant through snow, based on the capture rate.

Say what people will say but it all boils down to Islam. Have you ever heard of a Buddhist setting road side bombs or bombs in parked cars in places where they can kill and maim. There is lots of these things happening in the world and they all have one common denominator. Islam

A better comparison would be with the conflict in Northern Ireland (although more people have been killed in the South of Thailand in 8 years than in 39 years of fighting in NI).

Islam is not the reason for the conflict although it will be a factor, i.e. freedom of religious expression etc.

You quickly and conveniently forget the 'Buddhist' Yellow and Red shirts using bombs, grenades and other homemade weapons against security forces when it suits.

• Like 1

It is not Malaysian land, Malaysia is a country formed from the remaining Malay kingdoms which were part of the British Empire.

The land was five Malay (and predominantly Muslim) provinces before it was annexed by Siam (Thailand did not exist at that time) which was agreed to by the British in 1909.

Read up on your history of the region. You'll need to dig deeper than just Wikipedia articles but they will give you an introduction.

And they go way back a thousand years.They are interesting to read how certain powers took over and then receded it is just history. The point is we are here today and they are part of Thailand.

In the last 1,000 years they have been part of one kingdom or another. Never have they been a kingdom in their own right. Interesting but it has nothing to do with today. Might just as well naval gaze it will accomplish as much.

Say what people will say but it all boils down to Islam. Have you ever heard of a Buddhist setting road side bombs or bombs in parked cars in places where they can kill and maim. There is lots of these things happening in the world and they all have one common denominator. Islam

They operate on fear if a person was to reveal one of them to the authorities he would be dead real fast and the people know this.

Nothing against Buddhists, but in Thailand they're not exactly reticent about killing, whether it be poison, shootings, beating etc etc In addition during the Sri Lanka civil war the Buddhist army committed more than a few war crimes. Buddhist oppression against Muslims and Christians in Burma. So is it all about Buddhism or rather individuals/groups who have lost their moral/ethical compass?

Edited by simple1

Only the most evil and depraved people on our planet maim and murder children.

Totally Agree

If I found who did this, I would strap the same device to their legs, how ever many of then, then put it on a 12hr timer so they can watch the can down knowing what will happen. Coward Mungrals.

Then blow their legs off, both of them, and eat my bacon burger.

Feel sorry for the kid.

• Like 2

Not really as clear cut or as black and white as you may think -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia%E2%80%93Thailand_border