Fighting Cocks - Capons

cooked

So we asked the neighbour to find us two hens and he came back with a hen and a fighting cock, not yet mature, he had walked a long way to get them and from his point of view, this was a better solution. So we paid ฿100.-.

Any point in breeding from this newly wedded pair? I take it that the cock is not bred for breeding layers or meat, but for fighting?

I must admit that I feel quite manly having a fighting cock, makes me feel young again...

Second question: how do I create capons (ouch!). These were considered a great delicacy in the past.

what we do is when the chicks hatch and we no which ones are hens and cocks, i put the cocks in a shed and just feed and water them in there to stop them running all over the place, they get bigger that way,

capons are a thing of the past in england, its not even legal now,

and to explain, capons were castrated young males, either surgicaly or with hormones,

but my way they do grow bigger then the ones i let run with our laying hens,

jake

first you will need better chickens

..meaning that it is not worthwhile doing with typical Thai chickens?

I don't know if cock fighting is legal in TH, the stuff I saw on Youtube looks pretty harmless, but any thing that attracts gambling is frowned upon by the authorities.

I'll let you know, building the chicken coop now. Apparently there are two kinds of chickens here: Gai baan and Gai pan, is that right? We have the former and this is the one is the one to eat. Going to buy some chicks tomorrow.

Is cockfighting legal in Thailand?

I visited a farmers' market near Buriram yesterday. There was a competition for making those lovely chicken cages you see around here, many nice looking fighting cocks happily sitting on the arms of their mostly young owners and two 'cockpits'. We waited around but there was no sign of anything happening soon so we went on our way. Plenty of ploice around, so I guess it is legal here.

When I 1st visited Thailand, and did The Rose Garden tour.. There was an exhibition bout. They stressed it was for show only as it is illegal in Thailand. However I know police who partake in this "sport", and take part in the gambling aspect too. Round here unless it's a practice bout. The cocks have blades taped on to their legs. Fights are to the death. I used to be asked to go the fights or be taken without me knowing the destination. As the cockpit is only usually a kilometer away, I'd just walk back home. The spectacle disgusts me.

• Like 1

As far as i know it is semi legal . Every village has cockfighting roughly once a week , and there are magazines with the best breeders and fights inside . 100 baht for a fighting cock ... looks only something for tomghai ... soupchicken . Even a small fighting cock ( not mature ) in my area go for not less then 500 baht .

BTW , the cocks do not fight with blades attached . the do not taper the legs or feet . Sometimes the loser dies but many times not . However , when they loose , 99% of the time they are killed the same day for having chicken soup .

As far as i know it is semi legal . Every village has cockfighting roughly once a week , and there are magazines with the best breeders and fights inside . 100 baht for a fighting cock ... looks only something for tomghai ... soupchicken . Even a small fighting cock ( not mature ) in my area go for not less then 500 baht .

BTW , the cocks do not fight with blades attached . the do not taper the legs or feet . Sometimes the loser dies but many times not . However , when they loose , 99% of the time they are killed the same day for having chicken soup .

1st fight I saw them attaching the blades. It's a bloody affair.

I am not into fighting chickens in any way shape or form but there are many fighting rings it is not against the law . There are no spurs used in Thailand but the phillipines is another story fights are over in under 10 seconds sometimes

This Thai Chicken boxing goes on for hours and no harm comes to the birds

Capons like pigeon jake says is a thing of the past it just stoped them getting chewey, Modern breeds are ready in 8 weeks

I am not into fighting chickens in any way shape or form but there are many fighting rings it is not against the law . There are no spurs used in Thailand but the phillipines is another story fights are over in under 10 seconds sometimes

This Thai Chicken boxing goes on for hours and no harm comes to the birds

Capons like pigeon jake says is a thing of the past it just stoped them getting chewey, Modern breeds are ready in 8 weeks

Andy I have seen the spurs being attached, maybe it's a out in the sticks thing.

I am not saying it never happens, but trust me its rare

Fighting Birds are not cheap so they want no real harm to come to them and a few wins are there price goes to 50k very quick.

As to be a real man in Issan you must fight chickens drink lao kow and beat your wife.

no spurs used. the fight is until one cock tires out or gives in by sitting down (they sort of hunker down)... we just got a group of fighting chickens (gai shon) eggs brought over , and raised by some thais that owed us money... we inherited the chickens. since we cant have chickens by the house, i had to find a chicken coop , so fortunately some friends on a moshav near by have a layers coop that isnt used anymore (like many of the chicken farms here in the past ten years) so my husband threw them in there...

now he is there once every other day to water and feed them.... they will be for their chicks and for other thais that want to do the cock fighting which is illegal here but everyone knows that the thais do it... also there is quite a market here for speciality chickens of all kinds so cant be discriminated against.

in thailand it is legal since they have huge gai shon breeding farms with breeding records, prizes shows etc... along the lines of race horses and show dogs.... tons of magazines on gai shon, huge amoutn of exessories for them (like shampoos, meds, 'strenghthening serums', vitamins, amulets, and decorations , beak covers, spur covers )lots of thai internet sites, including tv interviews and discussions of different breeds etc....

a few thai here are really in to it... have seen somebeautiful birds... the eggs are smuggled in i guess, and hatched here under sitting females.

the birds are tall, leggy, intelligent, come when called more so then a gai baan, can be handled, and know their owners, are pettable. now have a pair in a small caged area by the hosue along with one female that is blind but lays, she manages to find food etc when ina small area, and i have a fat red layer of some other type... husband keeps bringing a different pair home to the house to 'play' with them, hand feed them, talk to them, watch them... and then returns them to the coop.

I don’t think cock fighting is illegal here, though gambling on it certainly is. I’ve never heard of Thai use of razor blades in the fights. I’ve also never attended a cock fight – I prefer human fights. By the way, gai pan is just Thai for any pedigree breed of chicken that is not gai baan.

Rgds

Khonwan

paan means breed; as in sunak paan arai.. (what breed of dog)... gai shon is fighting chicken but they have many varieties or breeds, different colour standards, sizes etc.

ours apparently will get to be about 3 kilos. they are really friendly (for chickens), follow hubby around , even though he did not raise them by hand, but they must be genetically programmed to be domesticated and worked with, like breeds of dogs... they also prefer 'green' food, an;yting with leaves is edible to them. they also prefer to eat dry rice, rather then their very expensive mixed grain chicken feed we bought them as opposed to the israeli baladi chickens (the various coloured free roaming type chickens ). the gai shon also actively ask to get out of their cage, and also out of their fenced in area. they really want to move in a large area.

there is a very funny utube on the net of some thai gai shon trainer that has his chickens run on treadmills , in special large furnished for the chicken, chicken runs, to develop endurance.

bina

I agree about the expressions Pan and Baan, but in this village that's it although they do know about other breeds of chicken. My wife didn't even know what Pan meansher mother tongue is Lao), for her it's just the chicken that is better for eating.