Importing W/out A Business?

Slappz

Hi,

Just a quick question that I couldn't find through the search. I have a rather small single good I wanted to import (valued at $10) but I would be looking to resell this good in Thailand as it seems like a decent niche here. I don't have a business, and the costs to set one up seem enormous and way above any profit I could make from this single good. Is there a way around this issue? Just to be clear, I am not looking to break any laws. Thanks.

If you are importing to thailand , to sell an item at a profit , without a licence, you are breaking the law. it's the good guy's that always get caught.

Don't you have a good thai lady friend you could trust and let her set up the Business registration it cost peanuts for a thai to do it, just give her a small percent of you're take but you still have to be carefull let her sell for you.

Boyce thumbsup.gif

Edited by Boyce

-Boyce- I would prefer to avoid doing anything through a Thai gf/friend, my concerns are lack of trust and lack of experience. If there were opportunities for growth in the niche then I would put more conisderation into this option, but I really just want to inexpensively see what the market is like for my product.

-jamescollister- Thanks for the idea, I am going to look into this option more thoroughly. However, I assume this would still force me to form a company based in the export country?

-Boyce- I would prefer to avoid doing anything through a Thai gf/friend, my concerns are lack of trust and lack of experience. If there were opportunities for growth in the niche then I would put more conisderation into this option, but I really just want to inexpensively see what the market is like for my product.

-jamescollister- Thanks for the idea, I am going to look into this option more thoroughly. However, I assume this would still force me to form a company based in the export country?

That would depend on the rules and regs in said country, but many small on line sellers operate. Probably depends on volume. Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Are you asking about having a single $10 item shipped to Thailand? There should be no problem if is not something illegal here. Have it sent marked as a gift.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

OP is trying to do this without breaking the law. If it is marked as a gift but intended for resale, it is tax evasion (smuggling).

Trying to do business (such as importing) without a business (I think he means a company) is of cause illegal. Furthermore, he will be working without a work permit.

Suggestion to the OP: Get a contract from the manufacturer as the sole agent in Thailand for this product and then assign an importer as your agent.