Non-Imm-O Extension Due To Marriage Or Retirement.

Hi Folks,

First off, i'm sorry if this has been done a death on here, but there are some clarifications from the info i (think i) know which hopefully BMs can help me with.

This has been raised due to a conversation with expat friends who all seem to have differing views on the requirements necessary for the above visa extentions.

I entered Thailand on a Non-Imm-O 12mth visa and extended it out to its full 15mths with a 90day stamp just before it was due to expire. I took this route due to financial reasons, even though i have a Thai wife. My situation changed whereby i was able to comply with the visa extension of 12mths due to being married, and i successfully applied for this in February 2012. I had 400k baht depositted in my Thai account in December 2011 thus meeting the requirement of 2mths prior to application.

For the extension due in February 2013, i am looking to use the monthly income criteria of 40kbt per month instead of the lump sum of 400kbt. And it's here that the discussion with friends raised questions.

When complying with the 400kbt rule, it has to be deposited into a Thai bank account. But with the 40kbt monthly income, i was of the belief that it can be into your account back in your home country.

Two of my friends have the retirement visa and said that their money is clearly declared as being in their home countries for their applications each year, but another friend still said that he believed it needed to be into a Thai account. My wife insists that she clarified with immigration on my last 90-day visit that what i was planning to do was ok. But as i had no other "married" chap to cross reference, i am now in a quandary as to what is actually required. I do not want to get to February and find i have missed the boat due to a technicality.

My income comes from two property investments paid monthly into my UK account. I then plan to transfer funds as and when needed. Can BMs confirm either way the exact requirement as per the current rules for these two visas.

with thanks

StG

For income outside Thailand the requirement is your embassy letter of that income. What your embassy will accept can vary but you will have to prove your monthly income to them. Only when immigration asks will you also have to provide more than that letter to immigration but you should always carry support documents when doing the extension in case asked. There is no requirement for deposit into a Thai account.

If you can do the retirement visa with 800 k in the bank or equivalent income this is the best way to go. Marriage visa can be quite problematic. A friend had a problem because when the Immigration officials visited him to check on his marital status he had just had a tiff with his wife and she had gone home to mama.

In my case I was told that my wife had to come with me to immigration to get a "marriage visa" but she was abroad on holiday staying with her sister. Fortunately I did have the income but it meant traveling to Bangkok and paying Bt2000 for an embassy letter. Another friend complained that he had to travel a long way 3 times to immigration to get his marriage visa, because twice he was told it was still under consideration. .

i know Lopburi has said there is no requirement to transfer funds into a thai bank, but at my recent application at Chaeng Wattana i provided the letter from the Embassy and my English bank statements. But they insisted i provided proof also showing that i had at least 40k per month coming into my thai bank. Whether i was just unlucky i dont know but they wouldn't process my application until i provided my Thai bank passbook.

I suspect there was some misunderstanding and what they wanted to see was some means of living here. That can be a Thai bank account or even ATM receipts for withdrawals from overseas bank. There is no requirement for 40k per month deposits.

If you can do the retirement visa with 800 k in the bank or equivalent income this is the best way to go. Marriage visa can be quite problematic. A friend had a problem because when the Immigration officials visited him to check on his marital status he had just had a tiff with his wife and she had gone home to mama.

In my case I was told that my wife had to come with me to immigration to get a "marriage visa" but she was abroad on holiday staying with her sister. Fortunately I did have the income but it meant traveling to Bangkok and paying Bt2000 for an embassy letter. Another friend complained that he had to travel a long way 3 times to immigration to get his marriage visa, because twice he was told it was still under consideration. .

Martial problems and where the wife is at the time is not an immigration problem. Everybody should already know that the wife is needed for the the extension and plan things that way.

I have to make the annual pilgrimage to Bangkok (this year one day trip by air) for my income document and just accept that as one of the needed things for my extension.

It sounds like your friend got the normal under consideration stamp when he applied. And it was not ready on the initial report date which meant another trip to immigration. The way you wrote your post it would seem that he had to make 3 trips after the extension application was made which would be a very rare occurrence.

Thanks for the replies, and it seems my understanding of the situation was correct.

The problems encountered with a marriage visa are more to do with marital issues more than visa issues, as already pointed out.

My wife went to the immigration at Pattaya/Jomtien today, and they confirmed that the monthly income does not need to be placed in a Thai account, and that they want a letter from the Embassy verifying the income etc.

She then popped into the British Consulate next door, and they verified all they need:

Photo copy of Passport.

Original evidence of current pension/income.

Local address typed on letter.

They charge 2250bt for this service.

Information can be sought at the British Embassy via Notarial Services

Tel: 023058333.

Fax:022556051

Email: [email protected]

I'm going to contact them to see what "Original" evidence they require, as i do not receive paper copies anymore and only view my account via internet.

I'll post anymore findings

thumbsup.gif

The moral of this sorry tale for those of you staying in LOS under marriage extensions is clearly: Never have a row with your tiirak at renewal time!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1