Big White Bricks Or Small Orange Ones?

I plan to build a house on a piece of land the wife's land. I would like to build something 1 level and about 120-150sqm, most likely 2 bedrooms.

Does anyone have an idea what the price difference would be with using the large white breeze blocks ( i think ) as opposed to the smaller orange bricks ( apparently stronger and more expensive? ) on this size of house.

Pro's / cons and any feedback appreciated.

What makes you think the smaller orange bricks are stronger? If they are produced during the present rainy season, they are probably not fired long enough and have high moisture content, making them weak. Strength of wall will depend much on skill of labor as such a wall has a high volume of hand mixed and laid mortar.

Somewhere earlier there is quite a big topic over the building blocks .

standard grey blocks , around 4baht each size 40/20/7 . Easy fast build . The cheapest stone and the most used . They are not strong ( depends on who makes them , some are good and others break when you look at them ) , but plenty good enough for not load bearing walls .

red blocks . They are cheap for 1 piece ( around 1 baht ) but they are very small and have no insulation properties at all . They are stronger then the grey blocks ( also depending on company who makes them ) but have less insulation value . They require quite a lot of work as they are so small ( many mortar and many hours ) . most houses have a few since they are great for fill up work where the grey blocks are too big for .

As the 3the are the white blocks . They are meant to be glued and are the most expensive type . They are light and big , but do have some strength to them . They do have good insulation value . These are premium product so the price is set accordingly . Only made by a few big companies , so there is no variation in quality .

Yes , double layer standard blocks have the best insulation value vs money you can buy . However , it is everybody on it's own to choose . Single wall the white foam blocks are the best , but the most expensive by far .

The type you show is a bigger type , and i do not know enough about them to make any comments . I gues insulation value goes up , but how's the strength and the price of them ? I do know that they are not available everywhere .

The 60 x 20 x 7 thermo blocks + use glue only, are by far the easiest, there light, cut with a saw .. NO truck load of sand and bags of cement, just a bag of glue and a bucket.to mix + you do not need any help and because of the light weight and size you have build the walls in no time...

At the end of the day, because there so easy and fast, I am not sure they are not that much more expensive + you use a plaster again in a sack mix in a bucket or old bath, like a cream, wet the wall a skim. again very easy, quick and fast.. add all this together = no not more expensive..

If you are going to get a Thai builder to do the work, be sure they have used them before........ instead of paying 2 weeks labor, you pay 2 days, job done

My kitchen 8m x 3m I built myself 7 years ago, these blocks were then double the price they cost today, I built all the walls day 1, plastered all day 2 myself no help no mess simple.......... OK I have used them for years before in Europe and done every type of plastering there is.

The 60 x 20 x 7 thermo blocks + use glue only, are by far the easiest, there light, cut with a saw .. NO truck load of sand and bags of cement, just a bag of glue and a bucket.to mix + you do not need any help and because of the light weight and size you have build the walls in no time...

At the end of the day, because there so easy and fast, I am not sure they are not that much more expensive + you use a plaster again in a sack mix in a bucket or old bath, like a cream, wet the wall a skim. again very easy, quick and fast.. add all this together = no not more expensive..

If you are going to get a Thai builder to do the work, be sure they have used them before........ instead of paying 2 weeks labor, you pay 2 days, job done

My kitchen 8m x 3m I built myself 7 years ago, these blocks were then double the price they cost today, I built all the walls day 1, plastered all day 2 myself no help no mess simple.......... OK I have used them for years before in Europe and done every type of plastering there is.

Thanks for all the input, very interesting.

I was talking about the grey breeze blocks.

If at all possible, walls should have good insulating properties. The foam blocks, available in different properties seem like the best for this in Thailand. My house was built with the cheap cement blocks so I am now going to have to build a second wall, at least on the southern side (gap between the two walls) which will have better insulation properties than the foam blocks. The end cost will be more.

I built two houses with the foam blocks and it really is, as far as I am concerned, the best solution.

If you are likely to hang stuff from you walls, you will find that Q-con blocks; which are the white blocks with higher insulation rating and premium price (about 4 times the price of the breeze block) are quite delicate and require special anchors. I have them in part of my house and I am not sure i like them. Next house I will use breeze blocks in a double wall installation leaving a dead air space between the two walls. It will be more work, but half the price and it will provide superior strength and good insulation.

• Like 1

Yes, you either buy the special plastic inserts or drill a large hole and use a rapid action glue. Not a big deal. I did mention that I do the masonry work myself because I like things to turn out the way I intended, and this is a factor as to why I prefer the foam blocks - very quick and easy to build.

For insulation purposes I would use the cinderblocks.

250px-Concreteblocks.jpg

This size not easily avalable in Thailand and you would be wrong about the insulation properties of these. They work as a thurmal mass to retain heat

But what do I know ? Only a builder with a masters degree and 10 years working in Thailand . . .

If you are likely to hang stuff from you walls, you will find that Q-con blocks; which are the white blocks with higher insulation rating and premium price (about 4 times the price of the breeze block) are quite delicate and require special anchors. I have them in part of my house and I am not sure i like them. Next house I will use breeze blocks in a double wall installation leaving a dead air space between the two walls. It will be more work, but half the price and it will provide superior strength and good insulation.

Sadly your price information is wrong. The Super Blocks or Q con block, the white blocks people here are talking about yes cost more, But in the space yo uneed many red bricks or one of the brease blocks as some are calling them. however labor is much less, and the mortor and plaster is way less also equaling the cost of the brick or other

The white blocks reduce sound transfer that the others do not, and also have a much higher insulation property saveing you even more money in the long run. They are less prone to making cracks on your walls too.

All over the world more and more places are requiring their use over old fasion bricks.. BKK is one of those places

Sadly your price information is wrong. The Super Blocks or Q con block, the white blocks people here are talking about yes cost more, But in the space yo uneed many red bricks or one of the brease blocks as some are calling them. however labor is much less, and the mortor and plaster is way less also equaling the cost of the brick or other

The white blocks reduce sound transfer that the others do not, and also have a much higher insulation property saveing you even more money in the long run. They are less prone to making cracks on your walls too.

All over the world more and more places are requiring their use over old fasion bricks.. BKK is one of those places

Really, 5 baht a block VS 20 although the Q-con is about 30% larger, and then special glue and special render as opposed to ordinary cement. It might not be 4 times higher but it is at least 3.

I agree they are easy to work with and give you the ability to hide conduits and make custom shapes too.

Really, 5 baht a block VS 20 although the Q-con is about 30% larger, and then special glue and special render as opposed to ordinary cement. It might not be 4 times higher but it is at least 3.

Yes correct, but where you save is labor, 1x worker Not 5, 2 Days work, Not 10, and at the end of the day NO mess, No left over sand, cement, pile of broken bricks/blocks, No cleaning where the cement was mixed.

I used the special rendering and my neighbour just used the conventional cement/sand and after 35 years I can't see any difference.

Good proof of how good that special rendering is......... The special rendering is skimmed the same as skimming the ceiling, so goes a very long way......... just shows you do not need truck load of sand and bags of cement, when a light slim does the same "after 35 years I can't see any difference"

I used the special rendering and my neighbour just used the conventional cement/sand and after 35 years I can't see any difference.

Good proof of how good that special rendering is......... The special rendering is skimmed the same as skimming the ceiling, so goes a very long way......... just shows you do not need truck load of sand and bags of cement, when a light slim does the same "after 35 years I can't see any difference"

Did not realise this type of blocks and rendering were available 35 years ago?

Did not realise this type of blocks and rendering were available 35 years ago?

As years go by they get better, early ones were made in 1900...... "gypsum blocks were commonly used in the early 20th century (1900 - 1926)" before plasterboard, later used for the interior walls for installation,

late 1970 that I know of full houses were built using only Thermoblock and plaster in Germany, no idea maybe long before this.. but in 1978 a German friend bought a plot of land, after planing approval, 3 men started the foundations, 32 days later my friend moved in to his new 3 bedroom finished house.

Edited by ignis

I found dirt cheap land out in the sticks of Switzerland, 1979. The stuff was considered a bit unusual then but I was persuaded thatQ-blocks would be ok. My first architect refused to sign the building permit application so we went through the whole thing again using my qualification as construction engineer to bodge our way through bureaucracy. We moved in in 1980. House still standing, no cracks anywhere.

Even in Switzerland I later saw these blocks being used in an untidy and careless manner, crossing joints and that sort of thing.

I used, I think, heavy duty 35 cm wide blocks, Things went so fast that one day I realised I had forgotten the windows, had to remove a row.

We will be building an extension next year and I decided on a circular two story tower, using these Q-blocks.

As i recall, I added a defined amount of water to the content of a bag and mixed it with a drill attachment. I applied it with a special sledge type trowel which left the stuff with a pattern. Put the block on, level, and check if it is vertical with a level or (later) plumb line, tap with a rubber hammer and there you go. After completing one entire row all around the house, unpleasant and dusty half hour rubbing down any imperfections, then start again. I'm sure you can find a YouTube somewhere. believe me, 35 years ago it was easy, it must be even easier now.

Yes you can!

However, 7 cm thick seems very thin to me..

Hi I am planning to build a house soon and would like to use the thermal 60x20x7 blocks. How does the glue system work, does it come by bag and you mix it yourself? Is there any sand added?

Just add water.

The first layer needs to be done with normal cement and made perfectly straight.

The rest just needs a very thin layer of the 'glue' and put on carefully. Lightly tap it.

If the first layer is done right the rest is easy and quick.

I had a wall done by some Thai workers, unfortunately not the ones i usually have because they are busy, and i had to correct them whole day long. Too much 'glue' and the bonding will be weak and you have to straighten every layer.

The thin layer will help with staying straight, thai style of 2cm thick cement and then correcting it is not the way to do it with the q-con (super) blocks.

If you are going to use these block not only make sure they have experience with them, but that they actually know how. Experience laying them wrong is also counted as experience here in Thailand.

However, 7 cm thick seems very thin to me..

same thickness as the breeze block and red brick here...

Just take time and care when using them, and cutting them......... cut 100% square and to the correct size, you end up with a totally perfect wall that need only skimming....... have seen some Thai working using them near me, cutting them as they do red brick with a hammer, using to much glue and not wiping if straight off.......... then before plaster use hammer to get the glue runs off, then sand and cement to fill all the holes, chips etc.......... done correct you could simply just paint.... skimming you mix the plaster soft, wet the walls well with water........... If you just used paint the blocks would suck in so much paint would be extensive to get a nice finish

If your have never plastered before, when mixing the plaster add washing up liquid to the mix helps it slid a lot better, and do not plaster with the sun on the wall