Suit Sellers At Tourist Hubs

Rhiwfawr

See you recently posted about the scams of renting jet ski's and the likes around Thailand,I have been here a long time and when my family travell over for their annual holiday it means once again I have to travell to the hubs of the tourists so my family can experience the beauty of the land,this year I took them to Krabi,a beautifull place and walked the beach front! if I wanted a suit I would ask in the shop but every Tailor in Thailand seems to want me in the shop,maybe its my good looks!! or my poor attire of living here for the last 12 years,but to be honest it ruins a walk with your family on the front and p***es me off,I speak to them in Thai and they just look in awe as these guys are not even Thai ,their Nepalise Burmese or Indian!

I got nothing against selling,I spoke to a few and said maybe I would buy a suit to the first seller that does not approach me! fair play that lasted a double walk up the strip!!

My gripe is it's in every tourist hub in Thailand,from Bangkok to Chaing Mai from Samui to Koh Chang,I wish they would deal with it!!!!!!

Are you feeling better now??? tongue.png

But of course you are right, those mostly Indian tailors are a pain in the ass... and specially those who try to grab you hand to stop you from walking past and try to even draw you into the shop... I slapped few hands during the last years and always shouted pretty loud "don't you try to steal my watch..."

Positive effect is that from that moment on, they always remember my face for the length of my holiday and never again bother me when I walk past their shop again... whistling.gif

Sometimes twice a week, I walk to the Villa supermarket near Phrom Phong and it's always the same guys every time.

I mean, what makes them think that my standard response to their invitation is going to change?

What part of "you have nothing I want to buy" do they not understand?

There is a guy on Soi 11 who will follow you for 10 metres until you bark and him - on the way back he'll say did you change your mind.......so irritating.

I like the watch line-I'll use it

I have a mate who thinks he's a comedian and will say he is a nudist and is only wearing clothes today or he'll approach them first and say want to buy a suit.........it seldom works

I guess it must be part of their job description that they have to harass every single farang walking past... and definitely will not stop doing it if you respond with a simple "no thanks"... I remember one situation where I was carrying the clothes from my favorite tailor and still they tried to grab me and sell me more things... how stupid can they be... so I assume they might be afraid to be watched by their boss and would be punished / fired / loose salary if they don't annoy every single person passing the shop...

I'm so glad someone else hates these scumbags! In Pattaya, walking along the beach road they're a total waste of space.

When Thai people want to sell you things they wave a board at you - if you ignore them they walk on.

This lot just get in your face, try and guess your nationality and imitate your accent!! Grrrrr.........annoyed.gifmad.gif

One or 2 responses to them I find useful:

Polite response:

Seller: "Want a nice suit sir?"

Me: "Like the one you're wearing?"

Seller: "Oh YES sir"

Me: "No, I thought you said a NICE one!"

Not so polite (and somewhat racist) response:

Me, walking swinging my arms

Seller steps in front with his book

Somehow, book contacts arm and ends up in the road under Baht bus.

Seller says somthing unintelligable

Me: "Next time, it'll be you not your book - now F*** off you imitation Paki!" (Indians and others of the region really do NOT like to be associated with Pakistanis!!!)

That guy remembers me too!!!!!

Amusingly, a very good friend of mine who is Indian couldn't stop laughing at the last one - his only comment - "Too good for them"

OK - my rant over too whistling.gifbiggrin.png

I once got dragged in a tailor shop on soi 6, I had told the guy I wouldn't buy anything but he kept showing me shirts and other garbage clothes. In the end I told him everything was way to expensive for me but then he offered me to buy stuff on credit :P

Remember the days when all those stalls weren't there in Sukhumvit? It was actually a nice, pleasurable day out to head down there to the tailors shops. And they didn't even need to cold-sell to people.

Must say though, the ones in the hubs are very good at guessing your nationality. I think its a game they play.

If they wanna shake my hand, I always raise my hand and say: "I don't wanna shake yours, I have no Idea where it has been before (Do you wash them after going to the Toilet)". That pisses them off.

The watch line is a good one to remember.

They're annoying but eventually you just learn to ignore them and keep walking.

If they touch me however it's a different matter, I usually get angry enough that they end up walking away from ME, not the other way round.

You are right... so if their is enough space, I make sure I cross them with enough distance... but difficult for example on beach road walkway in Pattaya... that's when they try to grab your hand or get hold of your arm to stop them... that's when they get a slap on their hand for touching me...

The worst are the Indian watch-sellers on soi Cowboy. What started as a couple of them wandering around the soi has become an entire salesforce on some sort of drive to saturate Sukhumvit with moody Breitlings and Rolexes.

Living less than 50 metres from the strip, these idiots used to offer me these <deleted>' watches literally every single day until I made a point of telling each and every one of them to **** off. After a week of that, they got the message and to this day, they no longer bother me. Thing is though, it shouldn't have had to get to the point where I had to stoop to using aggressive posturing and foul language to be left alone.

They're annoying but eventually you just learn to ignore them and keep walking.

If they touch me however it's a different matter, I usually get angry enough that they end up walking away from ME, not the other way round.

dont ever let touts touch you. its not a friendly gesture here. a power play. you open yourself to all kinds of stuff.

I always found silence is the best, just stop in your tracks, and stare at him, dont say a word, dont respond to anything just stare with straight face. They soon burn out, turn and go, usually quickly too......lol

Edited by CharlieH

I always found silence is the best, just stop in your tracks, and stare at him, dont say a word, dont respond to anything just stare with straight face. They soon burn out, turn and go, usually quickly too......lol

The best bit of advice I ever read on here was concerning this very same issue.

Some poster said whenever these touts approached him and offered to shake his hand, he used to spit on his hand and offer it to them, soon got rid of them.

I tried it, and yes it works, thanks to that poster, sorry cant remember your name.

The best bit of advice I ever read on here was concerning this very same issue.

Some poster said whenever these touts approached him and offered to shake his hand, he used to spit on his hand and offer it to them, soon got rid of them.

I tried it, and yes it works, thanks to that poster, sorry cant remember your name.

What is this? A thread on 'How can I be the worlds biggest prick?'

Grow up <deleted>.

Edited by samran