Suicide Bomber Targets Gate To Baghdad's Green Zone, Killing 7

News_Editor

Suicide bomber targets gate to Baghdad's Green Zone, killing 7 < br />

2012-09-18 06:01:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

BAGHDAD, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) -- A suicide car bomber targeted a security check post near the so-called Green Zone in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, killing at least seven people and injuring two dozen more, police sources said. A member of parliament (MP) was among those injured.

The attack occurred at around 8 a.m. local time on Monday when the attacker drove his vehicle toward a security check post at the July 14 bridge, which leads across the Tigris river and into the Green Zone, before detonating his explosives. The scene is not far from the U.S. Embassy and the presidential complex.

Police sources said seven people were killed, including two soldiers, while at least 24 more were injured, including Shi'ite MP Habib Hamza al-Turfi who suffered an injury to his shoulder and was taken to a nearby hospital. Two bodyguards of al-Turfi were also injured, but their conditions were not immediately known.

The Green Zone in central Baghdad is comprised of Iraqi government buildings and several major embassies in addition to U.S. interests. It is often referred to as the safest place in Iraq due to its extreme security, even though insurgents regularly try and have sometimes succeeded to attack the area.

Monday's attack came just over a week after a wave of bombings and other attacks killed at least 92 people and wounded more than 400 others in 13 cities across Iraq, making it one of the deadliest days so far this year. The French honorary consulate premises in Nasiriyah were also damaged, but there were no casualties.

Although violence in Iraq has declined dramatically since its peak in 2006 and 2007, political turmoil and sectarian violence has been on the rise following the pullout of the last U.S. soldiers in mid-December 2011.

In late July, a coordinated wave of bomb and shooting attacks targeted Shiite Muslims across Iraq, killing at least 109 people and injuring more than 275 others. The string of violent attacks ripped through at least fifteen different cities, among them the capital Baghdad, in six provinces.

And on June 13, at least 93 people were killed in another wave of bomb and shooting attacks targeting Shiite Muslims who were marking the anniversary of the death of Imam Musa Kadhim, a great-grandson of the prophet Mohammad and a revered imam. More than 300 others were injured.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-09-18

Hate to say it, but I think we're becoming innured to such atrocities. How to ameleorate such severe problems in that part of the world? I don't have a snappy answer for that, but here's a stab at it:

Lock young men, individually, in padded rooms for brief periods, and force them to watch videos of happy wholesome families, doing fun things together. Probably wouldn't help the majority, but seeing that residents in that part of the world have no exposure to how a healthy happy family functions, it might influence some to be drawn to a better lifestyle - instead of perverse death-styles.

Recently, I watched a brief May Pole dance video taken somewhere in Scandinavia.They didn't even know they were being videotaped. Just seeing the boys, girls, men, women frolicking outside, carfree, joyful, smiling at everyone, .....was a pleasant reminder of how communities could function if they weren't hamstrung by the myriad problems found in most other communities worldwide. The contrast between the Scandinavian frolickers is 180 degrees different from Afghan assasins. Yet, Middle easterners have the latent potential to be as decent as other people, if only their influences (from childhood and beyond) were decent. Sadly, their influences are despicable. Garbage in, garbage out.

<snipped>

Lock young men, individually, in padded rooms for brief periods, and force them to watch videos of happy wholesome families, doing fun things together.

<snipped>

Maidu, that is a horrible idea. You would make people watch endless re-runs of something like the Brady Bunch? You'd have them asking for waterboarding! smile.png

• Like 2

<snipped>

Lock young men, individually, in padded rooms for brief periods, and force them to watch videos of happy wholesome families, doing fun things together.

<snipped>

Maidu, that is a horrible idea. You would make people watch endless re-runs of something like the Brady Bunch? You'd have them asking for waterboarding! smile.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Hate to say it, but I think we're becoming innured to such atrocities. How to ameleorate such severe problems in that part of the world? I don't have a snappy answer for that, but here's a stab at it:

Lock young men, individually, in padded rooms for brief periods, and force them to watch videos of happy wholesome families, doing fun things together. Probably wouldn't help the majority, but seeing that residents in that part of the world have no exposure to how a healthy happy family functions, it might influence some to be drawn to a better lifestyle - instead of perverse death-styles.

Recently, I watched a brief May Pole dance video taken somewhere in Scandinavia.They didn't even know they were being videotaped. Just seeing the boys, girls, men, women frolicking outside, carfree, joyful, smiling at everyone, .....was a pleasant reminder of how communities could function if they weren't hamstrung by the myriad problems found in most other communities worldwide. The contrast between the Scandinavian frolickers is 180 degrees different from Afghan assasins. Yet, Middle easterners have the latent potential to be as decent as other people, if only their influences (from childhood and beyond) were decent. Sadly, their influences are despicable. Garbage in, garbage out.

Yeah. They can force them to watch some wholesome TV. Couldn't hurt.

A few years of old Doris Day movies, TV shows like My 3 Sons, Mayberry, Green Acres, Dick Van Dyke, Love Boat, Kapt'n Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers. Some I Dream of Jeanie and Gilligans Islands too.

Throw in some Dragnet, Batman and Kojak to show them crime doesn't pay.

That should straighten out a majority.

You know there are some groups that have actually made a difference.Several international groups have supported Israeli and European conservation attempts to protect important migratory bird species. Through education about the birds and showing that they could help, diverse groups normally at odds with each other united to make a difference.

Through organizations as diverse as Tel Aviv University, the Palestinian Wildlife Society, the Amman Center for Peace and Development, and the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel, farmers have united across the Jordan Valley to share best practices in integrated pest management. Barn owls and kestrels, for example, are now being used for rodent control, with researchers calculating the economic benefits of using barn owl nesting boxes rather than rodenticides in farmfields.

http://www.fs.fed.us/global/news/article1.htm

In a world of violence and hate, we never hear about the good people that can put aside differences to do something positive.

A few years of old Doris Day movies, TV shows like My 3 Sons, Mayberry, Green Acres, Dick Van Dyke, Love Boat, Kapt'n Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers. Some I Dream of Jeanie and Gilligans Islands too.

I may have to share your cynicism. After the age of 5, fogedaboudit. Yet, perhaps there's a chance to instill some decency in thoughts and attitudes from birth to school age. If pigs could fly......

I grew up on Captain Kangaroo. Him and Mr. Greenjeans. Yet my favorite books as a kid, were Hugh Lofting's; Dr. Doolittle. If Muslim toddlers could get more exposure to Dr. Doolittle, and less exposure to 'Death to America, 'Death to Israel' 'Death to daughters who contemplate kissing before marriage!' ......then, who knows, things might be a bit less f@cked over there.

I may have to share your cynicism. After the age of 5, fogedaboudit. Yet, perhaps there's a chance to instill some decency in thoughts and attitudes from birth to school age. If pigs could fly......

I grew up on Captain Kangaroo. Him and Mr. Greenjeans. Yet my favorite books as a kid, were Hugh Lofting's; Dr. Doolittle. If Muslim toddlers could get more exposure to Dr. Doolittle, and less exposure to 'Death to America, 'Death to Israel' 'Death to daughters who contemplate kissing before marriage!' ......then, who knows, things might be a bit less f@cked over there.

I grew up in Australia also but do not recall Captain Kangaroo, never heard of him, skippy yes

I grew up in Australia also but do not recall Captain Kangaroo, never heard of him, skippy yes

If you're American, you think of 'Skippy' as pseudo peanut butter. I say 'pseudo' because it's largely shortening (hardened white oil), because shortening is cheaper ingrediant than peanuts. It's one of many reasons why so many Americans are grossly overweight.