Finished Car Loan, Need Residence Certificate To Get Log Book.

I have paid off my car loan with Tisco and I need to establish residence before they can transfer my car back to me, I'm retired so don't have a Work Permit.

They have already had one, a letter I purchased from my embassy, when I purchased the car, but seems they need a new one.

I'm reluctant to pay my embassy for a second meaningless letter, so I will try and get one from Immigration when I do my 90 day report next month.

I live in Bangkok so use CW, are these letters easy enough to get, what do I ask for and is it a specific department?

I tried to get them to register my car in my partners name, but it seems I have to register it in my name first before I can put it in her name.

Why does everything have to be so ******* difficult to do here?

I believe they have provided in the past but with a three week waiting period. But have also seen recent reports that orders not to issue anywhere have been issued by immigration so would check current policy and please report if you are able to obtain and conditions.

Looks like I'm going to have to swallow my pride and pay the British Embassy 2,250 Baht for a meaningless letter.

Why would you do that. As mentioned you just need to go into Immigration (CW for you) and pay the 200 baht for a residency letter and pick it up the next day. Sometimes you can pick up the same day but they would want 300 baht. Not bad compared to what you pay your embassy.

YES they do still issue them or how would any of us buy or sell vehicles or get drivers licenses? Just tell them it is for buying a car or motorcycle period. Some people confuse them by telling them they want it for different reasons but all of these letters are the SAME.

Of course the ludicrous thing is that I can pitch up at the motor office with my condo lease, phone and electric bills, bank and credit card statements and they mean nothing.

I can go to my embassy, say I live at 23 Railway Cuttings, I need no evidence, they sell me a letter confirming what I have told them, and that meaningless letter is perfectly acceptable to the Thai authorities.

Is it just me who fails to grasp the logic?

When I was renewing my 5year driving licence I needed a residency letter but my local immigration office (Kanchanaburi) told me that they no longer issued these and advised me to apply for one at my local Amphur. I did this and it cost me 50 baht. A darn sight cheaper than what the Britsh Embassy charge for their letter! Could you not go down this route?

As prodriver, mentioned would be a good way to go.

So you finished your car loan off. What address did the loan have on it? If it the same as you are at now, there really should not be a problem with it.

Also did you try and use your Thai Driving Licence to get the Log Book? as this should be O.K.

Good luck.

Win smile.png

So you finished your car loan off. What address did the loan have on it? If it the same as you are at now, there really should not be a problem with it.

There's another issue, we moved home shortly after we took out the loan, and whilst I told the bank they didn't bother to change the records at the Department of Land Transport, so the log book still has to old address, come to think of it so does my Driving Licence.

When I called Tisco they denied all knowledge of my new address, there was a stunned silence when I reminded them that all my bills come to the new address.

Anyway after going to two Tisco branches today we have the log book, but it's in the name of the bank and me, they've given us a wedge of papers to take to the DLT, so we will have to see.

I will try and put it my girlfriends name.

There's another issue, we moved home shortly after we took out the loan, and whilst I told the bank they didn't bother to change the records at the Department of Land Transport, so the log book still has to old address, come to think of it so does my Driving Licence.

When I called Tisco they denied all knowledge of my new address, there was a stunned silence when I reminded them that all my bills come to the new address.

Anyway after going to two Tisco branches today we have the log book, but it's in the name of the bank and me, they've given us a wedge of papers to take to the DLT, so we will have to see.

I will try and put it my girlfriends name.

In your name would be much better as you paid for it biggrin.png , but then again it is your choice.whistling.gif

Please go and see your Bank first before DLT as they did it wrong and not you. Maybe they will sort things out for you with a letter or two. coffee1.gif

Hope I have been of some help.

Win smile.png

P.S. please make sure once you obtain your Log Book that is has your current address in it.

Edited by Kan Win

Regarding the British Embassy. Will they issue this letter to anyone holding a British passport irrespective of what type of Thai visa is in that passport?

The 2000 bht or so would be good value in my case since I want to sell my car but cannot obtain a non O visa anymore due to the fact that I am an unmarried father of a Thai child.

Without the non O visa the Thai authorities will not issue me this residency certificate.

Edited by brizzle

Regarding the British Embassy. Will they issue this letter to anyone holding a British passport irrespective of what type of Thai visa is in that passport?

Yes they will, all they want to sell you the letter is sight of your passport, an address to type on the letter (they don't need any proof that it's really your address - that what makes it so ludicrous) and your money.

Yes they will, all they want to sell you the letter is sight of your passport, an address to type on the letter (they don't need any proof that it's really your address - that what makes it so ludicrous) and your money.

That's great- thanks.

But just to clarify- this document will be excepted at any transport office if I have blue book in hand and I want to sell my car?

I can just give my old rental property address and nobody Thai or British is going to check anything?

If all of the above is true it is so refreshing that in this particular case one of Thailands many ludicrous policies is actually going to work for me instead of against me as they invariably do.

With regards to the British Embassy,do you need to book an appointment or just get in line with everybody else at the gate ? I guessing it's the gate.

Many thanks again ...it looks like you have solved my visa dilema in one quick and impressive sweep!....

PS

If you see a fortuner advertised anywhere at 802,250 THB ONO you'll know who's it is biggrin.png

Edited by brizzle

The DLT told my girlfriend that they will accept a Work Permit, Residence Certificate or Embassy letter.

The UK Embassy don't want to see any proof of your address, just write the address you want them to put on the letter on a slip of paper, and of course your passport.

You just pitch up at the Embassy, join the queue, go to Consular Section, collect a ticket and wait your turn, they are only open in the morning. You have to go back later in the day, or the next day, to collect it

The UK Embassy don't want to see any proof of your address, just write the address you want them to put on the letter on a slip of paper, and of course your passport.

You just pitch up at the Embassy, join the queue, go to Consular Section, collect a ticket and wait your turn, they are only open in the morning. You have to go back later in the day, or the next day, to collect it

I got one this week, things have changed.

1) They are now charging B2750.

2) They now want to see some proof of address. I took a couple of bills that are in my name.

3) It's not a letter any more. You fill in a form and they stamp it and sign it.

4) They now do it while you wait. I got there at 9.30 to avoid the early morning rush and left around 10.00 with the address affirmation.

It seems everytime there is a new ambassador they tinker with the procedures. These days I always check in advance on what the current practice is.

@ Guy Dow, thanks for the update, I got the letter a couple of months ago and they didn't want any proof of my address then, and they were still doing the letters. 2750 Baht to stamp a form, incredible?

@ Brizzle, sorry for the misinformation, you seem to have prove of your address though, so I imagine you will not have a problem.

I agree the pricing is outrageous. But there is absolutely no choice in the matter. They can charge whatever they like.

Indeed, and they know they charge what they like, so they. To be fair though, the fees are set centrally not in Bangkok.

Of course the member of staff who deals with these is locally employed and is paid a tad over a 1000 Baht a day.

The signature is not a local hire but a person from the country of the Embassy and that is the reason for the high price - it costs a lot of money to support his/her stay in a foreign country to help you with such matters (much more than the persons direct salary). Transportation/housing/medical/schooling/Embassy upkeep/guards/staff - rather hard to make a return on the expense of running an Embassy but homeland taxpayers likely want a higher fee to lower there cost until they have to pay it when overseas I suspect.

The signature is not a local hire but a person from the country of the Embassy and that is the reason for the high price -

Generally you are right, but i'm pretty sure the UK Embassy does employ a handful locally employed of staff at a grade that allows them to sign off these forms.

Of course the people at the counter, who are at a much lower grade, collate all the information and give a wedge of papers to to the Consular Officer to sign off.

Of course the Consular Officer in Pattaya was locally employed.

Regarding proof of address.

I nolonger rent a property in Thailand but want to pick up the document in Bangkok on route from the UK to Koh Samui where my car is stored.

I do not have any Thai bills here with me in the UK and anyway has far as I remember these were in my partners name and not mine.

What I do have is my blue book with an old rental property address in it and a currrent car insurance certficate with my name and last rental address in Thailand.

The insurance document dates from last November.

What are peoples thoughts on whether this would be enough proof for the embassy? The blue book(although an old address) would at least indicate that I have been a resident in the past my virtue of the fact that was allowed to buy a motor vehicle and the insurance document which will still be valid in theory at least shows my current address.

I guess it's anyones guess but sometimes people insist on two bits of evidence etc etc..aaaarrrggggg !....Thailand to me is the proof the world has gone mad... the trials you go through when all you want to do is sell your LEGALLY bought car ....its just crazy.

NB

Just realised that my log book is showing my old address. So if my residency certificate/letter shows a new address how does this leave me at the transport office when selling my car...is there anything I need to do?

Thank you

Edited by brizzle