Bangkok Cabdrivers Protest Penalty For Refusing Fares

webfact

I was refused by 4 in a row this morning on Suk Soi 11. Gave up & took a motorbike.

Taxi service in Bangkok has really regressed in the last few years. I find it almost as frustrating as the bad old days before meters. The problem is that the fares have not anywhere near kept up with inflation. In some other countries this wouldn't happen because supply & demand would force authorities to increase the fare structure. But here no government wants to risk the publics wrath by doing that and since there is weak enforcement of taxi regulations we have this ridiculous situation where taxis are everywhere blocking the roads but refuse any fare that they deem not profitable enough.

I don't believe there will be any improvement until there is a substantial fare rise.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is this enforced though?

Anyone could claim a taxi refused a fare - but it's your word against theirs. Who's to say some people won't cry wolf on a taxi out of spite?

If they don't refuse you, what spite would you have? The website is hardly user friendly too. I can imagine only the most pissed off people will both to go to all the effort of submitting a complaint

The people who are most likely to abuse it are the taxi mafia types trying to eliminate their more honest competition.

Where I agree Taxi drivers refuse way to many, I don't think the regulations is good.

Most taxi's are rented in a 12 hours shift. Needs to be returned clean and full of fuel. That can take and hour or so. Be late be fined.

So what aout the fare that would take you way out of the area ?

What about the Drunk ?

What about the high crack head ?

What about the Smelly customers.?

What about the ones you think may not pay ?

What about the ones the taxi driver does not understand or speak their launguage ?

What about the customer who ask to go somewhere they just don't know ?

And what about those who they feel could be a danger to themselves ?

I for one think they sould be able to refuse some fares. Most businesses can refuse a customer, Cab should be the same.

And really I only want to go in a cab who want me there really

• Like 2

Where I agree Taxi drivers refuse way to many, I don't think the regulations is good.

Most taxi's are rented in a 12 hours shift. Needs to be returned clean and full of fuel. That can take and hour or so. Be late be fined.

What about the Drunk ?

What about the ones the taxi driver does not understand or speak their launguage ?

I for one think they sould be able to refuse some fares. Most businesses can refuse a customer, Cab should be the same.

What about the Drunk ?

Maybe some people should not be Taxi drivers eh!

• Like 1

Judging by the other responses, perhaps September is just my lucky month. However, the fact that every time I've tried to get a taxi over the last three weeks, the first cab displaying the ว่าง "waang" sign has stopped, used meter, and taken me to my destination. No scenic routes, no hassles. Each of these instances was close to Sukumvit Soi 11 or outside Siam Paragon.

The next time I decide to take a taxi, I'll shoot on down the BTS a station further and take the MBK challenge and report back.

Now THAT's commitment to ThaiVisa thumbsup.gif

Fantastic idea !! Recently at about 7pm, I was outside central world, and had to go to LadPharo. Taxi drivers just gave that stupid grin, and drove off......I wonder though if the penalty system can be enforced?

I am so happy to see this rule. Even if it is difficult to enforce. I travel quite extensively and Thailand is the only Civilized country that still runs it's taxi's third world style. Recently my Thai Girlfriend and I spent a few days in Dubai and she was shocked that you could just get into a taxi and tell them where to go without begging the driver or paying an exploitative price. Thailand has the potential to be as well off as Singapore or Hong Kong if they can jsut get their Mafias/Police under control.

• Like 1

Why are you listing legitimate excuses Jeffrey?

The police aren't after the guy who had legitimate excuses its these clowns that want 100/150 Baht for a 40 baht fare or they won't take you that are the real targets.

Purely on principal I just slam the door and wait for the next one if the ask me for a fixed amount well above tariff.

Then when a legitimate guy says ok I give him what the previous guy asked for. Make me feel good giving the extra to the guy who deserves it knowing that the other guy got nothing.

I doubt if I would call the cops though....too much hassle so I will just keep slamming doors.

• Like 1

"Mr. Sadit said taxi drivers are greatly affected by the new rules."

HOW SO??? By actually being stuck in traffic? It's not like the meter isn't running! Also if you don't like the obligations that come with the job description, like taking people where they want to go, then maybe you should do something else!!!

• Like 1

Thailand has the potential to be as well off as Singapore or Hong Kong if they can jsut get their Mafias/Police under control.

ermm.gif It appears to me that you've somehow managed to overlook a few other issues that have kept Thailand from launching itself to the same level of prosperity.

• Like 2

Anyone could claim a taxi refused a fare - but it's your word against theirs. Who's to say some people won't cry wolf on a taxi out of spite?

That's probably, while "The new rule,[...] can fine a cabdriver 1,000 THB for refusing a fare.

But maybe the drivers are unsure about that. Wait one or two weeks,...!

Not much else to be said. All have covered it, only issue is of course, you threaten the driver of exposure and then you are his property for the duration of the cab ride. That alone can be a test of your endurance between his putting the radio up so loud to point of pain, farting, and of course the hispeed weaving and lane hopping - it may be better to sit in solitude and wait for another. Vengeance and sweet revenge is not necessarily the right path here to prove your point.

Well there is no reason to threaten or even tell the driver you know the rules. If he refuses, you report him and then gran another cab. Only someone looking for a fight would go threatening these guys.

I believe many of the taxis in Bangkok are "double-driven" meaning they are hired for a twelve hour shift. Next driver expects a clean and fully fueled taxi ready for their twelve hour shift.

This means that for the last hour the driver does not want to be far from where the taxi is to be delivered to avoid the wrath of his co-driver or an agreed penalty for late delivery.

I assume this to be a key factor of why the taxis are not prepared to accept certain fares and would rather smile than a try a lengthy explanation in a foreign language.

Yes, we have this double-shift system in Singapore. But toward shift-change time, the driver simply puts a sign on the dash behind the windscreen indicating what part of town he's willing to go. This way, you know it's not simply about being choosy. (Of course, here we have drivers who avoid picking up non-Chinese or who, during peak times, drive around waiting for a call rather than picking people up off the curbside).

Has anyone else noticed a change since this regulation started being enforced?

I must say that I never expected this penalty to make any differences. However, every cab I've taken since the onset of this rule has not only used the meter without protest, but taken me directly to my destination without any hassle. I believe I've taken at least five since this regulation came into effect, and each time I was ready with my pen and paper to jot down the plate numbers of those who choose to refuse me or overcharge me. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but considering I've hired all these taxi meters around the same area where I've had the most problems, sometimes being refused by 10 or more drivers, I've been pleasantly surprised at the noticeable change. Hopefully this trend won't fade in the near future.

You,

The Taxi Drivers

and the rest of Bangkoks Selfish Overconsuming society need to give yourself a big kiss on the mirror for all the great things you do for Thailand and the fresh clean air we all don't have enough of to breathe......

I was refused by 4 in a row this morning on Suk Soi 11. Gave up & took a motorbike.

Taxi service in Bangkok has really regressed in the last few years. I find it almost as frustrating as the bad old days before meters. The problem is that the fares have not anywhere near kept up with inflation. In some other countries this wouldn't happen because supply & demand would force authorities to increase the fare structure. But here no government wants to risk the publics wrath by doing that and since there is weak enforcement of taxi regulations we have this ridiculous situation where taxis are everywhere blocking the roads but refuse any fare that they deem not profitable enough.

I don't believe there will be any improvement until there is a substantial fare rise.

"A substantial fare rise" ? similar to Phuket? AH yes, massive improvement of services.

In all the years i have been visiting Bangkok i have never had a taxi take me from Sukhumvit to Silom,i have stopped asking now but this will be interesting if it ever is enforced...i will not hold my breath.

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

We have a driver at our temple in Lopburi, been our driver for approx. 5 years, he has got to constantly open the window and spit. In a 30 min drive, he will roll down his window and spit at least 10 times. It's disgusting. bah.gif

I must say that I never expected this penalty to make any differences. However, every cab I've taken since the onset of this rule has not only used the meter without protest, but taken me directly to my destination without any hassle. I believe I've taken at least five since this regulation came into effect, and each time I was ready with my pen and paper to jot down the plate numbers of those who choose to refuse me or overcharge me. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but considering I've hired all these taxi meters around the same area where I've had the most problems, sometimes being refused by 10 or more drivers, I've been pleasantly surprised at the noticeable change. Hopefully this trend won't fade in the near future.

You,

The Taxi Drivers

and the rest of Bangkoks Selfish Overconsuming society need to give yourself a big kiss on the mirror for all the great things you do for Thailand and the fresh clean air we all don't have enough of to breathe......

Huh?

I fail to see how my post, which honestly illustrates my positive personal experience, warrants such a comment.

Edited by Albacore
  • Like 1

You,

The Taxi Drivers

I thought Tesco's had air conditioning for all shelf stackers?

Sometimes it is good they refused to take you if they dont know the destination. Experience few times from the pass nearly miss the flight as either go wrong way to the suv airport. Miss the exit lane, wrong exit lane from fast motorway to death jammed city road. Empty fuel or gas some taxi driver are from bannok just joining taxi business and doesnt know bkk much. For me bkk taxi are very much better then the other country like malaysia philiphine indonesia pakistan nigeria egypt south africa . . .

You try getting a taxi on the meter outside MBK, if you can the I'll believe it's making a difference.

The taxi queue is out of the back of MBK. EVERY cab that picks up there uses the meter.

Only fools go out the front to get one. Even speaking to those drones is a waste of breath.

why you have to call someone a fool because they dont know about the taxi line in back of MBK?

Yeah like people really have the time and inclination to do that!!!WPFflags.gif

biggrin.png

Well time would never be an issue, but totally agree with you about inclination.

Seriously, what percentage can really be bothered???

Mai bpen rai!!!

As one poster said, most common way this being enforced is if this is captured there and then by police.

The easy answer is if they refuse to take you just leave the door open and walk away.

If enough people do that the drivers might eventually get the idea.

...just stay sitting and ask the driver politely to call another driver to do this job by radio. It worked for me.

Last time I was in BKK not one meter taxi would take me from Sukhumvit (Landmark Hotel) to the airport on the meter all of them wanted 400 THB with them paying the toll, which is still cheap but probably double the metered price.

It makes a mockery of the minimum daily wage of 300 THB which is what the taxi probably made in one trip.

while we're at it, might as well include some penalty for the disgusting habit of cab drivers opening the driver side door to spit on the road at traffic lights or when stationary... winder what makes them want to spit so much....hmm...

Beecause most ot them are full of shyt

I have the "taxi reporter" App on my iPhone (not sure if you can get it for Android). I haven't had the need to use it yet., so don't know if it's effective. It's in Thai and English.

BTW what makes me laugh about all of this is that this law is being brought in by the PTP, who all the taxi drivers love and protested and voted for in the past. Som nam na.

i have lived in Bangkok for 6 years,and find the taxi drivers in this city to be the best in the world,not to mention the cheapest.

Have been refused twice in 6 years,and i do take taxi's often.

The only problem is they sometimes do not know the destination ,but with me very limited Thai i can usually direct them.

I never wait more than one minute for a cab.

Before you start bashing Bangkok taxis,just remember other cities around the world.In London you need a bank loan for a short journey.

Well done Bangkok taxi drivers ,you are doing a great job.

• Like 1