A S/h German Car For 2M Baht, What Can I Get?

fish fingers

As others have said, it really doesn't need fiddling, as it goes VERY well as is (although with a slight tune it has a lot more grunt). While 2nd hand isn't ideal for a few reasons (financing rates aren't as good, servicing agreements often expired), the type of person that buys VW is often buying (here in in Thailand) as a 2nd or 3rd car, so almost all of the ones I have ever looked at are low mileage and pretty well looked after.

SteveO definitely more sensible thinking, especially with adding in more potential things to go wrong or fail, if it ain't broke don't fix it & leave it simple stupid is often times my motto in cases such as this.. More then enough car as is is my thinking, especially if the OP says she's better then he is..

Too bad on the timing I saw a 1 year old Scirroco listed some months ago with a reasonable down and take over payments and it was tuned as well.. I called on it initially as the price seemed well low and then found it was take over about 900,000b owed, I don't remember the exact numbers..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.gtspirit....line-r8-spyder/

http://nguoinoitieng.vn/c-161/13354-Tay-dua-nu-quyen-ru-bat-ngo-ben-xe-hop.html

This young lady is my GF's relative, won 2 championships back to back. Surprised at the sexist comments to be honest, I'm still in awe of thai women neatly balancing side saddle on the back of mopeds or mum on a moped with 4 kids to school. If there was ever a woman in F1 she shd be thai imo.

Edited by fish fingers

Yep like I mentioned nothing of note there, you can dress up any cute girly and put her in a class with several other cute girly's and you still have just a bunch of cute girly's but no "racing drivers" realist not sexist.. Her championships are really irrelevant sorry to say, could have been won by most 14 and 15 year old male go kartists in the same cars BTW but they're only a very few of the girls who even rub paint with the big boys, glad it impresses you though giggle.gifsmile.png ..

I'm just of the firm belief that one moves ahead in life and goals such as this due to exploiting their talent and hard work and not solely being the little cutie with a nice.......Eyes and whatever else physically impresses her supporters. That's what EVERY sport is based on but especially one like racing where it costs so much and the sport is seldom represented according to talent but instead budget and in this case eye appeal... How do you think it would go over if Manchester United for example brought in some cutie with a nice arse just for her appeal and only semi for what she could offer to the team in terms of goal scoring or whatever position she could play effectively?

You know the answer so you can step off this sexist rubbish..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep like I mentioned nothing of note there, you can dress up any cute girly and put her in a class with several other cute girly's and you still have just a bunch of cute girly's but no "racing drivers" realist not sexist.. Her championships are really irrelevant sorry to say, could have been won by most 14 and 15 year old male go kartists in the same cars BTW but they're only a very few of the girls who even rub paint with the big boys, glad it impresses you though giggle.gifsmile.png ..

I'm just of the firm belief that one moves ahead in life and goals such as this due to exploiting their talent and hard work and not solely being the little cutie with a nice.......Eyes and whatever else physically impresses her supporters. That's what EVERY sport is based on but especially one like racing where it costs so much and the sport is seldom represented according to talent but instead budget and in this case eye appeal... How do you think it would go over if Manchester United for example brought in some cutie with a nice arse just for her appeal and only semi for what she could offer to the team in terms of goal scoring or whatever position she could play effectively?

You know the answer so you can step off this sexist rubbish..

<deleted>??!!ermm.gif

• Like 2

I would say your post Warpy is very sexist, though it is up to your standards. bah.gif

May l point out that your home country, the US of A, have LADY FIGHTER PILOTS thumbsup.gif .

I wonder how they achieved that oh wise one. rolleyes.gif ..........................whistling.gif

Edited by transam

Once again T/A you of the blinkered perspective.. No it's not sexist it's realist. So what if my country has female fighter pilots do you actually KNOW they fly real sorties? The only ones that do that are helicopter pilots and even they are limited mostly to medical missions and other less dangerous objectives, for the most part they just fly training sorties..

A "woman's" series championship is not in the same league as a mans championship plain and simple. When a female is brought forth who can consistently beat males not just an occasional fluke win and eventually win a notable championship in a mixed series then I'll change my perspective but doubt that'll happen in my lifetime. I'd also like to her do without using her sexuality to gain favor, that's reverse sexism..

Having said that my perspective doesn't just extend to women it also extends across the spectrum of the sport regarding the fact that it's not representative of the REAL talent that exists outside of it for those who will never get the chance due to financial support but may have plenty of talent. They have no place to play due the reverse sexist attitudes that exist that think a cute girly is who they should invest in instead of someone with real talent male or female..

Bottom line only one series world wide is more about talent then budget and that's NASCAR where youths can come up driving an old junker on local dirt tracks and get taken all the way to the top based on that talent alone, all the rest of the series and mostly including F1 is all about the money and so little about the talent it's obscene.. Rich little daddy's girls or mia nois and same for little boys..

So just get over the faux indignation you display at the facts as they exist, I didn't have a thing to do with the order of nature some arrogantly believe man can overcome just because we're intelligent and think we can will it so.. End of, off topic..

Once again T/A you of the blinkered perspective.. No it's not sexist it's realist. So what if my country has female fighter pilots do you actually KNOW they fly real sorties? The only ones that do that are helicopter pilots and even they are limited mostly to medical missions and other less dangerous objectives, for the most part they just fly training sorties..

A "woman's" series championship is not in the same league as a mans championship plain and simple. When a female is brought forth who can consistently beat males not just an occasional fluke win and eventually win a notable championship in a mixed series then I'll change my perspective but doubt that'll happen in my lifetime. I'd also like to her do without using her sexuality to gain favor, that's reverse sexism..

Having said that my perspective doesn't just extend to women it also extends across the spectrum of the sport regarding the fact that it's not representative of the REAL talent that exists outside of it for those who will never get the chance due to financial support but may have plenty of talent. They have no place to play due the reverse sexist attitudes that exist that think a cute girly is who they should invest in instead of someone with real talent male or female..

Bottom line only one series world wide is more about talent then budget and that's NASCAR where youths can come up driving an old junker on local dirt tracks and get taken all the way to the top based on that talent alone, all the rest of the series and mostly including F1 is all about the money and so little about the talent it's obscene.. Rich little daddy's girls or mia nois and same for little boys..

So just get over the faux indignation you display at the facts as they exist, I didn't have a thing to do with the order of nature some arrogantly believe man can overcome just because we're intelligent and think we can will it so.. End of, off topic..

Your saying the USA trains girls costing millions of dollars to become fighter pilots that will not be put into action. THAT is an insult to those ladies that trained to put their life on the line.

Feel sorry for you yank guys reading this from one of your own.

Warpy, you should be ashamed of yourself. bah.gif

I would say your post Warpy is very sexist, though it is up to your standards. bah.gif

May l point out that your home country, the US of A, have LADY FIGHTER PILOTS thumbsup.gif .

I wonder how they achieved that oh wise one. rolleyes.gif ..........................whistling.gif

Affirmative action? (just kidding)

• Like 1

Your saying the USA trains girls costing millions of dollars to become fighter pilots that will not be put into action. THAT is an insult to those ladies that trained to put their life on the line.

Feel sorry for you yank guys reading this from one of your own.

Warpy, you should be ashamed of yourself. bah.gif

A lot of people in the military are there to play roles not all of which are directly combat related many are flying drones as well half way around the world you imbecile and that is no way classed like flying an F-35 for example it's exactly the point I'm making, karts versus F1. You're clueless about the roles women are permitted to play in our military so you should better enlighten yourself first before making accusatory tones, I didn't write them but as a "yank" I just know much of what is in them.. The feeling is mutual about 99% of the rubbish you spew regarding one of limeys own..Hows that vertigo BTW?

erm .... back on topic.

How about the Mini Countryman Cooper S? Made in Germany and based on an X1 but with a more interesting design?

There's also a very smart looking 'Paceman' coupe version out next year.

yes, I think this is a great car and its german too.

• Like 1

I don't think the camry should be considered, firstly because of the criteria of european, and also because it isn't even close to any of these cars in terms of handling etc; it's a pretty luxurious tanky sort of a car, and excellent at that including excellent value for money in many ways, but it isn't any sort of a hot hatch (which is where this conversation is headed). Using the same logic that's why the lower grade C and 3 series are less attractive too so I support Frank's list.

The countryman I would also suggest against; partly because it is likely to be coming in for a replacement in the medium future (this I don't know for sure, but totally guessing on the countryman, the paceman is indeed new), partly because it is more like 2.9m baht and partly because personally I think it drives like an SUV...like the X1 in fact, albeit quite a bit quicker than the bottom of the line X1 which is 1m cheaper, but how fast do you want to drive an SUV anyhow?

The whole idea of a mini is a zippy little small car, so by making a giant size mini it is a bit like Mars bars where a giant mars bar is a medium size mars bar for giants...and a normal size mars bar is a giant mars bar for small people, and a small size mars bar is a medium size mars bar for small people etc etc. Making a giant mini...I don't get the appeal (but many do, so YEMV).

The Paceman is just stupid having such bad access to the rear seat you might as well get a proper mini i.e. a cooper S or at a push a clubman. Both of which will be replaced next year (so mini is probably out). But all of these are a price jump up from the 2m baht level, and Minis 2nd hand hold their values high and with a monopoly Millenium (wisely) don't do close out deals all the time, so the prices stay high from first to second to third hand etc.

Golf mk7 they said yesterday in a newspaper that it will reach Thailand mid 2013, if this is indeed true, that's a great car. Wolf in sheeps clothing.

As for women being good or bad at sport. I am well aware that the women have all the same issues as men doing an expensive sport; securing sponsors, getting coverage, etc etc. If they can do this using looks as well as results (as occurs in WSOP, snowboarding, sailing, soccer, hockey, motorsport, etc etc) then good luck to them. With a heritage of sports at a high level far shorter than men as well as physiology, it isn't suprising to me that many of the sports I know well the men are substantially better than the women. Participation rates, focus, level of competition, etc...many many reasons for it. Doesn't mean the women suck.

And anyhow, life would be pretty dull if all the athletes in the world looked like Andre the Giant. Or Hornswoggle. Now that's a real sport! With real women too. Gotta love it.

• Like 1

As a consultant I travel a lot but have never seen such crazy prices as these anywhere! I plan to semi-retire to Thailand in the next year or so and was hoping to buy an Audi or BMW as that's all I've driven for the last 20yrs but not at those prices! It has to be because of import taxes right?

As a consultant I travel a lot but have never seen such crazy prices as these anywhere! I plan to semi-retire to Thailand in the next year or so and was hoping to buy an Audi or BMW as that's all I've driven for the last 20yrs but not at those prices! It has to be because of import taxes right?

Correct. But buy a second-hand BMW, and you'll see it will be cheaper than a comparable japanese car... But will also cost way more to maintain out of warranty.

At any rate, if you will drive a lot out of town, might be preferable for your own comfort to get a SUV or a pickup (X3 or X5, although I do not know how those softroaders handle the numerous thai potholes). :D It will also avoid you a lot of trouble repairing the suspensions.

• Like 1

If you think Thailand is expensive, check out prices in Singapore...

BMWs drop a lot in price once the BSI finishes, having owned one before, the servicing costs for Beemers are a fair bit higher than for an equivalent Japanese car, and the older cars often seem to develop issues relating to heat/rain (failing panels as the glue gives way in the interior, faulty wiring, issues of stalling out when encountering deep water on the road etc) but each generation seems to improve a bit.

Audi is a much more niche car than BMW, has the same service cost issues, but resale of some models is weaker, so the prices can be better.

Generally, if you can find a garage not associated directly with the brand (i.e. a non Barcelona/Millenium/Bavaria etc garage) then prices can be cheaper, but not always as knowledgeable; it's been a while since i owned the BMW so I don't know what is able to be done; there are performance garages around (like Sooper, A1, etc) who know a LOT about how to set up specific cars but I don't know who does BMW. There must be someone. It depends if they have the equipment to reset the ECUs and the like for these cars.

Audi I think you can tap into the VW network of garages...but is a much more niche car.

If you think Thailand is expensive, check out prices in Singapore...

BMWs drop a lot in price once the BSI finishes, having owned one before, the servicing costs for Beemers are a fair bit higher than for an equivalent Japanese car, and the older cars often seem to develop issues relating to heat/rain (failing panels as the glue gives way in the interior, faulty wiring, issues of stalling out when encountering deep water on the road etc) but each generation seems to improve a bit.

Audi is a much more niche car than BMW, has the same service cost issues, but resale of some models is weaker, so the prices can be better.

Generally, if you can find a garage not associated directly with the brand (i.e. a non Barcelona/Millenium/Bavaria etc garage) then prices can be cheaper, but not always as knowledgeable; it's been a while since i owned the BMW so I don't know what is able to be done; there are performance garages around (like Sooper, A1, etc) who know a LOT about how to set up specific cars but I don't know who does BMW. There must be someone. It depends if they have the equipment to reset the ECUs and the like for these cars.

Audi I think you can tap into the VW network of garages...but is a much more niche car.

No matter what you say , prices of BMW or Benz in Thailand are ridiculously high.

2 times more than in Europe on average, and close to 3 times more than US prices for the same car.

I know it is all because of the ridiculous tax code here, but the fact remains nevertheless.

BMW or Benz in Thailand, now which model was made here ? which model put together here, which ones were imported, which BMW models engines were made in China ??

Most of the ones sold here legally are assembled in Thailand .

Parts and engines may come from different countries , but they are put together here.

That doesn't mean the quality is less than from a German plant, IMHO .

In any case, the price is still ridiculous.

BMW or Benz in Thailand, now which model was made here ? which model put together here, which ones were imported, which BMW models engines were made in China ??

Most of the ones sold here legally are assembled in Thailand .

Parts and engines may come from different countries , but they are put together here.

Let's not start the 'ridiculous' car price thread again....we all know...let's just accept the fact. Wines are also ridiculous expensive here compared to Europe or many other countries...that does not prevent me from drinkng it. Because than there are many things which are cheaper: fuel to start with (compared to Germany where I am from), food in general and you save a lot of money in just needing one wardrobe tongue.png ...no winter clothes required.

I am not biased or 'racist' so I really don't care where the car is coming from, but I do care about design, power, handling, etc....and the Japanese cars which we get here just don't really do the trick, except maybe the new Toyota GT86, which is also ridiculous expensive if you compare it to what it costs elsewhere. But than for the same price as the GT86 you can get a real beauty in form of the Peugeot RCZ!

Just wish more European brands would produce in Thailand so prices would come down. Let's face it if VW could build a nice GOLF here for about the price as the Ford Focus and being in the proximity of Civic, etc.....now there for me would be a reason to smile! And i would say the market share figures would quickly shift....(take this back...not that quickly...Thai market is a bit stubborn...rolleyes.gif ).

Very true about the pricing .. just ridiculous !!

the cas assembled here are maybe still much better in general than a toyota build in THailand, but after all there is sure a difference.

the reason why the cars costing almost the same as the ones are imported is simply rip-off.

And i would say the market share figures would quickly shift....(take this back...not that quickly...Thai market is a bit stubborn...rolleyes.gif ).

i think the big players do know that very well, and this is the reason why it is how it is.

hard to compete in general.

and the few peoples paying the prices well let them.

even i did it by prefering of buying a 5 Year old Mercedes (imported) for the same price you can get a Toyota Camry with 0 KM Mileage.

my friends form germany always shocked if i say i paid 40k euros for a car which you can get in Germany for 5K euros.

so the one thing is true, the prices are holding much better as they do in Germany .. that is a plus, and i dont give a fuc_k about showing off anyway. so i dont care about having a red-plate or something released just yesterday.

"native" Thai-Build Cars like the Toyota Fortuner or Toyota Yaris are overpriced here as well.

even Thais assume you joking if you say "the car is outside of thailand even cheaper"

anyway this cars would NEVER recieve a Registration in Germany since they produced too poor and not meet the security standards.

but they still costing ALOT more as the same car build in Spain on european Standards, surviving a crash test

and sold in Europe.

Goes for alittle bit over 500k Baht (with Hybrid engine (!!))

in thailand is still the previous modell produced costing on same options 730k baht.

almost 5000Euros more for less buildcare, cheaper labour and the older chassis ?

i do not know this about German Cars, but this is 100% Not True on Japanese Cars.

i installed Hundreds of GPS Tracking Units in Rental and Private vehicles over the last view Years.

as example on a Honda CRV i can tell you just by slamming the door if its from Thailand or from Japan.

there is a huge difference between "made in Thailand" and "made somewhere else"

in a Thai-Manufactured CRV i need about 10 minutes to get the job done,

on a Japanese modell the same work can take over 1 Hour, resulting of much more Protective interior used, more cables, isolation materials and so on.

also Japanese CRV wont provide you with a foot-bath in a flooded road,

on a thai-modell its quite questionable since there is basically no protection at factory related holes in the chassis.

also Rust or Hole-protection does simply not exist on factory side.

and everyone know about fixing car's know that its basically impossible to apply it afterwards properly.

the Japanese car is more heavy than the Thai Version resulting of much less cable-options are beeing used (the electrical whires are installed for exact what the car needs) a Japanese car has always full option electrics.

also Noise Reduction is just a foreign word in Thailand, even as i take my Alfa Romeo to the Garage they "engeneers" keep wondering why i do have Carpet on the chassis outside (no clue this does dramaticaly reduce noise)

physics are just different here ;)

strangely costing even more as the imported ones (which is odd again since everything is imported to thailand at some stage (except of rice and politicians) :P

anyway this cars would NEVER recieve a Registration in Germany since they produced too poor and not meet the security standards.

but they still costing ALOT more as the same car build in Spain on european Standards, surviving a crash test

and sold in Europe.

This is not true as a lot of the cars built here are exported to Australia,.Europe and even the US, and they simply couldn't be if they did not meet with these countries' respective safety standards.

i do not know this about German Cars, but this is 100% Not True on Japanese Cars.

i installed Hundreds of GPS Tracking Units in Rental and Private vehicles over the last view Years.

as example on a Honda CRV i can tell you just by slamming the door if its from Thailand or from Japan.

there is a huge difference between "made in Thailand" and "made somewhere else"

in a Thai-Manufactured CRV i need about 10 minutes to get the job done,

on a Japanese modell the same work can take over 1 Hour, resulting of much more Protective interior used, more cables, isolation materials and so on.

also Japanese CRV wont provide you with a foot-bath in a flooded road,

on a thai-modell its quite questionable since there is basically no protection at factory related holes in the chassis.

also Rust or Hole-protection does simply not exist on factory side.

and everyone know about fixing car's know that its basically impossible to apply it afterwards properly.

the Japanese car is more heavy than the Thai Version resulting of much less cable-options are beeing used (the electrical whires are installed for exact what the car needs) a Japanese car has always full option electrics.

also Noise Reduction is just a foreign word in Thailand, even as i take my Alfa Romeo to the Garage they "engeneers" keep wondering why i do have Carpet on the chassis outside (no clue this does dramaticaly reduce noise)

physics are just different here wink.png

strangely costing even more as the imported ones (which is odd again since everything is imported to thailand at some stage (except of rice and politicians) tongue.png

A very interesting opinion indeed.

...a lot of the cars built here are exported to Australia,.Europe and even the US, and they simply couldn't be if they did not meet with these countries' respective safety standards.

I don't know of any TH built cars that are exported to the USA, but yes, most models made here are exported to SEA, Australia, Middle East, Europe - even Japan in the case of the Mitsubishi Mirage.

However, the spec differs by destination - the Thai built car someone in one of these export markets buys can be very different to the version sold here domestically.

The biggest differences are normally in engines (most commonly, higher output versions or larger capacity options for export) and safety options (notably airbags and stability control), but in many cases export models also have better insulation, different glass, and even in some cases higher grade chassis steels (to achieve 5 stars).

• Like 2

Think a lot of this could be true, floods last year, and still ongoing supply problems........ understand the manufactures could have brought the cars into Thailand if they were like for like for no charge/ import duty..

Problem is they were not........ Thailand would rather have reverse sensors than airbags...... [New car since the floods in Thailand, cost the same in the UK, only in UK has 6 airbags and ABS here has non on same model..

I am told by many Thais. the 1st fully built Benz 190E was very poor, nowhere near the German standards