The Mystery 5.7 Earthquake!

chiangrai57020

Sometime during the period of 23-24 January 2006 it was reported in the Thai News media that a 5.7 earthquake was recorded in Burma! Who recorded the earthquake? Was it confirmed? By whom?

I live in the area where the earthquake 'supposedly' occured and felt nothing. Now then, a 5.7 eartquake is quite big when it comes to the standards of earthquakes. In addition, the U.S. Geological Survey records all earthquake occurances 'world wide' at their web site http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Qua...quakes_all.html. I have been looking at their site for a week and have found nothing that indicates that an earthquake occured during the 23-24th time-frame in, or close to the area that the Thai News media specified.

Having read the English language 'newspapers' for well over 8 years I am quite familiar with their mis-reporting or lack of reporting of news events. But what bothers me is that an event such as an earthquake puts lives and property at risk when 'erroneous' reports are made AND NO CORRECTIONS are made immediately after the fact! The fact that the Thai TV News did not report the earthquake event until 'TWO DAYS AFTER' the 'supposed' occurance when 'They' had ample time to 'verify' the facts is also increditable! Of course, most TV News is 2-3 days outdated anyway BUT, an earthquake - ??? Isn't it also increditable that NO DAMAGE reports have come in!