Where To Buy Italian Style / Farang Basil

Lobin

Yeah, not cheap. The plants are cheap though. about 30B and will provide fresh basil as long as you water it every so often

Cheers for the reply CMSteve, is that sold in very small bunches for very many bahts? Try to avoid rimping like the plague if possible.

Any more ideas if this is available at any fresh food and veg markets?

have you tried Villa or Foodland

And where in Chiang Mai might there be a Villa or Foodland?

Despite what a few people say Rimping is not an expensive store if you compare to Tops. Sure there are pricey imported items by the thousand but that is thanks to the Thai import taxes, but for locally produced fresh items that are packaged in convenient unis they are hard to beat.

As I want to make pesto so I've been looking for it in large quantities at a reasonable price. Many of the Italian restaurants who make their own tell me they get it at Makro but I haven't seen it there. I did grow it (along with 7 types of local basil) and it didn't do bad until the rainy season flooded it out. If you do want to try to grow I'd rec. in a pot as my potted rosemary is a large bush now. Now for the matter of pine nuts! (but walnuts or even the cheaper local cashews are fine substitutions)

As I want to make pesto so I've been looking for it in large quantities at a reasonable price. Many of the Italian restaurants who make their own tell me they get it at Makro but I haven't seen it there. I did grow it (along with 7 types of local basil) and it didn't do bad until the rainy season flooded it out. If you do want to try to grow I'd rec. in a pot as my potted rosemary is a large bush now. Now for the matter of pine nuts! (but walnuts or even the cheaper local cashews are fine substitutions)

Hi

I grow "genovese basil" in enough quantities, seeds imported from Italy, it has just been planted, the next harvest in about a month, according to rain falls, pm me if you are interested.

Bye John

I have a bad reaction to Pesto every time I've eaten it. I've always thought it was the pine nuts. Might try these substitutions some time.

Hopefully but be careful in case you have a nut allergy to all things nutty. You could try other subtitutions or as the French do just leave out the nuts altogether for Pistou.

Also to stretch the basil I often use some spinach, (50/50?), esp. when making large quantities

• 2 weeks later...

Original recipe of Pesto Genovese

for around 4/6 dishes

• 50g of basil leaves (from Genoa of course)
  • Extra virgin olive oil (from Liguria)
  • 6 Tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano
  • 2 Tbsp Pecorino (romano, toscano, sardo or siciliano)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (can be omitted)
  • 1 Tbsp pine kernels (from the Mediterranean area)
  • 1 tbsp chopped walnuts can be substituted for the pine kernels (must be European from the species “Juglans regia”)
  • Coarse sea salt

1. The traditional method uses a wooden pestle(where the dish gets its name from in a round about way) and a marble mortar. Start by pounding the garlic and salt until you get a smooth paste.
  2. Add the basil, a handful at a time, and keep grinding using a circular motion until each batch of the leaves is incorporated. To preserve the essential oils in the basil, you shouldn’t be too rough with it.
  3. Add the pine kernel and grind some more.
  4. Add the cheese and mix well.
  5. Add the oil, little by little, until the pesto has the right consistency – a matter of taste.
  6. Serve with pasta or added to minestrone. The recommended pastas are troffie, trofiette or trenette, but it goes with just about any pasta.

So if you add some other ingredients, it's no more Pesto Genovese

Cheers !!

John

Edited by JohnJohn