Tot Current Problems.

Rooo

Been having problems with my TOT fibre optic this last weeks. Called the local office in Bophut, they told me they had a problem in Hat Yai, should be fixed within 2 days. That was last week Tuesday.

Problem still persisting, so i called into their office. Told that Bangkok has a problem with International Gateway, another one to two weeks to fix.

Good news is September bills 50 % discount, will wait & see the miracle.

And if you look outside the box , that is the reason 3 g isn't in Thailand yet , I am getting 16 mb downloads just from my mobile , if this service was available in Thailand , no one would have standard Internet with a 5 mb download

If the problem was in Bangkok to outside of Thailand you would expect it would affect all of Thailand, but that's not the case. Up here in Issaan everything working fine.

he said only Samui was affected.

Absolute rubbish.

I have 6 TOT fibers at different locations across the island. They're all working fine. I monitor them extremely closely. Each site pings different servers within and outside Thailand, every 2 minutes and if anything fails I get instant e-mail notification.

Sounds like the problem is specific to you or your area Rooo.

Absolute rubbish.

I have 6 TOT fibers at different locations across the island. They're all working fine. I monitor them extremely closely. Each site pings different servers within and outside Thailand, every 2 minutes and if anything fails I get instant e-mail notification.

Sounds like the problem is specific to you or your area Rooo.

Is your download speed, say for You Tube etc.... OK ? I have problems opening attachments with video, As you said it might be exclusive to our area & that's the way he is explaining it.

I think so too. But as I said he said I will get 50% off my September bill, so will wait & see .

Rooo.

I actually use the TOT fiber as my fail-over backup connection in case my primary connection fails. My primary connection uses 4 combined 3BB ADSL (non-bonded) lines.

TOT's bandwidth really does suck I'm afraid. The only good thing about it is that it's stable.

The 12Mb/2Mb TOT fiber doesn't compare to the speed that the 3BB 12Mb package offers.

TOT also doesn't seem to cache anything here. For example, if I download iTunes using a 3BB line - I get a download speed of 1Mb/s. Switch to TOT line and it's 200kb/s.

Rooo.

I actually use the TOT fiber as my fail-over backup connection in case my primary connection fails. My primary connection uses 4 combined 3BB ADSL (non-bonded) lines.

TOT's bandwidth really does suck I'm afraid. The only good thing about it is that it's stable.

The 12Mb/2Mb TOT fiber doesn't compare to the speed that the 3BB 12Mb package offers.

TOT also doesn't seem to cache anything here. For example, if I download iTunes using a 3BB line - I get a download speed of 1Mb/s. Switch to TOT line and it's 200kb/s.

Yes I see, the problem is where I live, they were the only ones willing to ru Fibre Optic up the mountain.

He said it will take another week or two, will see.

Cat seem to be willing to run fibers everywhere these days. The only problem is they are just as bad as TOT.

Cat came over 9 months ago, they agreed, gave them all the paper work for 16 connections, still waiting.

TOT was all done within 2 days.

Cat seem to be willing to run fibers everywhere these days. The only problem is they are just as bad as TOT.

Cat came over 9 months ago, they agreed, gave them all the paper work for 16 connections, still waiting.

TOT was all done within 2 days.

Are you guys having fibre optic cable run to the house or is it just fibre optic at the main road then normal cable to the house? As I'm suprised they can run fibre optic to the house.

Are you guys having fibre optic cable run to the house or is it just fibre optic at the main road then normal cable to the house? As I'm suprised they can run fibre optic to the house.

Yes, it's fiber all the way to the house. TOT use a thin black fiber cable with a steel guide wire. It looks like regular black ADSL cable.

We were surveyed for a fibre connection from TOT and were delighted to be told it would be free as we were within 400mts of the 'main box'.

However on install the cable guys demanded 12,000baht to install the cable between the corner of the plot (measured to the 'box') and the actual modem location inside the house.

Following a stand off it became apparent that they 'presumed' as we were Farang that we required the cable to be laid in the ground in pvc and not strung from the telegraph post across the garden and direct to the side of the building (British Telecom style). Turns out underground is chargeable overground is not.

Maybe useful info for someone out there faced with a similar ransom demand...............

• Like 1

Yes, I had a similar problem with an install at one of my sites...

After they had installed the line at one of my sites, I had a call from one of my staff asking me to come and pay 3,000 baht... Here we go I thought....

Anyway, I got there to find the cabling company had put approximately 100m of cable inside a plastic conduit along the top of the wall in to the server room. They had written me out a cash receipt for 3,000 baht for 100m @ 30 baht/meter.

I refused to pay it. I explained that there was no need to put this cable in the conduit, it could be run with the other ADSL cables. He then tried to tell me it was very delicate, so I showed him the steel cable that runs inside the fiber and told him it is the same strength as normal ADSL cable.

He told me I must pay. I told him I wanted a VAT Receipt made out to my business. He told me he couldn't do this. I said I'd go to the TOT office in Bophut myself.

I went to TOT the next day and told them this was to expensive for what they had done. The conduit wasn't needed. The guy called the contractor and his boss and said I must pay it. I said OK if I pay it I want a VAT Receipt. The guy at TOT spoke to the contractor again and told me he couldn't produce one as the contractor running the cable wasn't a registered company.

I told him this isn't good enough. I wasn't going to pay and if they didn't like it they can pull everything out and I will use another company for internet.

Well, it's been 2 months and I haven't heard back from them, or had my line cut in the middle of the night...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With the recent rain, I have been experiencing lots of 'drop outs' with the TOT DSL service.

Recently tried to make a telephone call with the ancient 'Alexander Graham Bell' system and nothing. Zip. Danada.

Then tested seven of my neighbours and only one of them had a working, old fashioned voice/fax system. (DSL on all of them up and working OK at the time)

Anyone else struggling with TOT? (Not fibre optic- just cable and digital exchange.)

I am just trying to find out if this is an island-wide problem - or just at the 'pointy bit of Plai Laem'.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Apparantly G/F office in BKK been told by TOT they have problems and will have for a few weeks so dont think its just a Samui problem.

Oh joy. sad.png

Thank goodness for 3BB and Truemove( only two 'back-ups left!) smile.png

Well I am still happy with the move to 3BB..... thumbsup.gif

True can go suck rotten eggs! bah.gif

With the recent rain, I have been experiencing lots of 'drop outs' with the TOT DSL service.

Recently tried to make a telephone call with the ancient 'Alexander Graham Bell' system and nothing. Zip. Danada.

Then tested seven of my neighbours and only one of them had a working, old fashioned voice/fax system. (DSL on all of them up and working OK at the time)

Anyone else struggling with TOT? (Not fibre optic- just cable and digital exchange.)

I am just trying to find out if this is an island-wide problem - or just at the 'pointy bit of Plai Laem'.

We are at the Fisherman's Village end of Bangrak and find TOT slow and often down, especially first thing in the morning. 3BB do not have a line here unfortunately as I have 3BB at home in Plai Laem and that is generally (touch wood) not a problem. Has anyone tried True or CAT in Bangrak?

Apparantly G/F office in BKK been told by TOT they have problems and will have for a few weeks so dont think its just a Samui problem.

Oh joy. sad.png

Thank goodness for 3BB and Truemove( only two 'back-ups left!) smile.png

TOT DSL died last night and now 3BB just died! Only dongles working now.

I too have been told that there is a problem with TOT and it might be some weeks before it is resolved.

This is not good!

3bb working fine and dandy in Lamai. Just done a speed test and 15/1 as usual.

3BB is back up here in Plai Laem. TIme to consider cancelling TOT maybe - but I do like an alternative.

Dammm as I type - power off.

Sorry to hear that. I've been impressed with 3bb over the years but perhaps it is just the way I deal with them, perhaps I've just been really lucky even. When I phone 1530 they always answer 'Hello Mr. xxx'

3BB is back up here in Plai Laem. TIme to consider cancelling TOT maybe - but I do like an alternative.

Sorry to hear that. I've been impressed with 3bb over the years but perhaps it is just the way I deal with them, perhaps I've just been really lucky even. When I phone 1530 they always answer 'Hello Mr. xxx'

Always wanted to meet Mr X.
  • Like 1

Always wanted to meet Mr X.

Perhaps 13/14th of Jan when Smokie is back.

My TOT is still down and even the trusty 3BB is having a 'rest' now and again! (I guess because everyone is switching from TOT to 3BB).

Just renewed 3BB. 8% discount, one month free. all in 10,632 baht for a year.

Ping 26 ms. upload 1.07 mb/s. download 11.45 mb/s. But that was only to bangkok.

Edited by Tropicalevo