Retire To Chiang Mai

mugsy4503

It would help to know your nationalities, approx age, interests and type of lifestyle you plan -- i.e. fancy home in gated community with domestic staff vs. one-room studio in town,living with careful budgeting.

Hubby and I did an exploratory visit two years before we planned to retire, but we spent a month and talked with everyone we could who had a lifestyle similar to what we envisioned for our retirement lifestyle. It was very helpful and we made friends during that month who are still some of our best friends.

Without more specific information, your posting is mainly going to attract responses from people in the industry of "helping" expats get set up here as retirees. It can be valuable to talk with real estate agents, visa agents, investment advisors, insurance sales people -- but sometimes it's just nice to chat with people who have "been there, done it" and aren't trying to sell you anything.

Spot on, rent for a few months or even a year, make some friends talk to people then if and when you are sure that you want to commit, go for it!

Oh gawd, not more oldies. rolleyes.gif

agree

Chiang Mai needs less old people and more people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. It's becoming like a community you would find in Florida. What is the attraction? I don't get it. Some of these people look like fish out of water when you see them around town.

Blame the recent internet news sites citing Chiang Mai as a great place to retire.

Young people have a hard time making a living here whereas oldsters can actually live on their meager social security or other pensions. Not to mention an old man can find a youngish lady who "love him too much!"

That's the attraction, IMHO.

Well that will change once the Chinese invasion is complete and they drive the prices on everything up to the moon. The old farts won't even be able to afford a smile from one of these "youngish ladies".

I think that it is the 'old farts' who actually spend the money, not the younger guys who live here on 30k THB a month, who's idea of a good night out is two straws and a bottle of Leo, the exception to this are those fortunate enough to have their income supplemented by their 'old fart' parents, and the 'backpacking' passing trade who generally keep the 'adventure sports' and 'trekking' business people, and 20 THB road side noodle stools alive.

Just my observation!coffee1.gif

^^^

Well it's a narrow one, my friend: "the exception to this are those fortunate enough to have their income supplemented by their 'old fart' parents".

So there are no younger people here who sold their 3-400k (sterling) pad, renting out houses in the West, playing the stocks, earning US$200 a day through Adsense/affiliates, big money on the rigs down south .. ?

Have no issue with the oldies, it's the high percentage of po-faced gits that get on my wick... that and immigration becoming overloaded with them. whistling.gif

Edited by jackr

^^^

Well it's a narrow one, my friend: "the exception to this are those fortunate enough to have their income supplemented by their 'old fart' parents".

So there are no younger people here who sold their 3-400k (sterling) pad, renting out houses in the West, playing the stocks, earning US$200 a day through Adsense/affiliates, big money on the rigs down south .. ?

Have no issue with the oldies, it's the high percentage of po-faced gits that get on my wick... that and immigration becoming overloaded with them. whistling.gif

po-faced gits ?

^^^

po-faced gits ?

I think he is looking for company in his own age group. Yes there is a few making big money here but most of them make less than 30,000 baht in teaching jobs.

^^^

There are plenty of younger people here with a nice dosh that they made on their own. And I concur with jackr, the high percentage of older people here is too much.

Member "lizardtongue" did you not see the "Amazing Thailand" series on BBC, CNN, etc. that has been running for the last 2-3 months? The Ministry of Tourism expects tourism in Thailand to be as much as 40% Chinese by the end of 2015. There are already 12 direct flights per day from mainland China to Phuket and soon to be 15. When interviewed, Thai business people said that Chinese tourists out-spend "white Western tourists by as much as 50%" and that they are delighted with the changing demographics. Furthermore they said that the Chinese tourists NEVER try and haggle prices like Western tourists do. These people spend REAL money, not a few cocktails at a bar and a tart 'to go' afterwards. In case you haven't noticed, they are already pouring into Chiang Mai as well. Most of the white Western people I see eating at 20 Baht road-side noodle stalls are elderly people. The young people with money are eating in the Nimman area.

Yesterday afternoon, I had to wait about 1/2 hr in the lobby of The Chedi for someone who was late for a meeting. I saw three parties check-in. They didn't appear to be traveling together. In every case, they were a youngish Chinese couple, wearing new, designer "casual" clothes, with expensive luggage and a princeling -- poorly behaved boys age 3 - 5. Someone on duty at the front desk seemed to be able to converse with them in Chinese. With the first couple, I was a little surprised to see someone traveling with a young child checking into The Chedi. By the third family, I had it figured out. These were the only guests I saw. (Admittedly, this is the start of a week-long holiday in China)

This is where the future of Chiang Mai lies -- with younger, wealthy Chinese wanting to traveling independently, not herded around in some tour bus. Also, those princelings may well return to Chiang Mai to look for brides because of China's one-child policy. It's not hard to image that in another generation or two this town will be full of Chinese men and their Thai wives -- retiring to Thailand after building their careers in China.

Edited by NancyL

This is where the future of Chiang Mai lies -- with younger, wealthy Chinese wanting to traveling independently, not herded around in some tour bus. Also, those princelings may well return to Chiang Mai to look for brides because of China's one-child policy. It's not hard to image that in another generation or two this town will be full of Chinese men and their Thai wives -- retiring to Thailand after building their careers in China.

Off Topic

China has a one child policy in some big cities, it is not a country-wide rule.

Chinese men usually travel to CM with their Chinese wife/gf, they aren't looking to marry CM hookers.

I can't see many Chinese looking to retire to Thailand, China is cheaper and you can still get a much younger Chinese wife and they are much more faithful than Thai girls. Plenty of hookers in China too. If I were Chinese and retired, I would be living in China.

Not surprising that a receptionist can speak Chinese, the Mong living around CM speak Mandarin as their native language. I've been to public meetings in Mae Rim where all the speeches were in Mandarin.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Come on, folks, the poor OP just mentioned "visa runs" along with a list of other concerns like banking and home rental. Then everyone jumped in with half-baked advice about retirement visas.

My wife and I are planning to retire to Chiang Mai in 2013

I think this opening line of the OP made it quite reasonable to discuss retirement visas here.

I think Tommo is right. Chinese men don't seem too interested in Thai women and most are very careful with their money. Chinese women are definitely more faithful than Thai women. I know in Hat Yai that the Chinese men tourists always go to the places where the Chinese ladies in red dresses are seated. The Thai karaoke bars look like pretty lonely places down there.

I also saw the BBC series that was mentioned earlier. They said something like 90% of the Chinese tourism on Phuket are families traveling on organized tours. But NancyL is also right; many younger, wealthy Chinese want to travel independently.

Twice this month I have not been able to swim at my usual place because Chinese tour groups have booked out the pool for the day - months in advance. The Burmese couple who run the place told me that they are very happy abut this because the Chinese buy a lot of snacks and drinks from them and they can make extra money. The woman told me that most farangs that swim there don't even buy water from them, they bring their own.

Edited by elektrified

^^^

Furthermore they said that the Chinese tourists NEVER try and haggle prices like Western tourists do. These people spend REAL money, In case you haven't noticed, they are already pouring into Chiang Mai as well.

I think you are getting mixed up with Japs and Koreans. The Chinese have a western attitude and have mostly come from poor upbringing...WHICH MEANS....they haggle, they bargain to the point of being rude. They want discount on a promotion, they think a party of 2 warrants a big discount..."ork pai" no thankyou.

The Thais (according to mrs E) regard the Chinese as the rudest, and mingiest (stingy mingy) and there is suspicion around them. They have few good manners and yes I agree now I have seen them in my business compared to all the other nations, they are not the friendliest nation; and they have little respect for others...but hey if we can hold our tongue and keep smiling for a couple of hours then i love them all.

You are correct on one thing....the chinese are now the number One tourists into Thailand not just Chiang Mai

^^^

Furthermore they said that the Chinese tourists NEVER try and haggle prices like Western tourists do. These people spend REAL money, In case you haven't noticed, they are already pouring into Chiang Mai as well.

I think you are getting mixed up with Japs and Koreans. The Chinese have a western attitude and have mostly come from poor upbringing...WHICH MEANS....they haggle, they bargain to the point of being rude. They want discount on a promotion, they think a party of 2 warrants a big discount..."ork pai" no thankyou.

The Thais (according to mrs E) regard the Chinese as the rudest, and mingiest (stingy mingy) and there is suspicion around them. They have few good manners and yes I agree now I have seen them in my business compared to all the other nations, they are not the friendliest nation; and they have little respect for others...but hey if we can hold our tongue and keep smiling for a couple of hours then i love them all.

You are correct on one thing....the chinese are now the number One tourists into Thailand not just Chiang Mai

I'm only saying what I saw and heard the Thais say when they were interviewed by BBC reporters that "the Chinese tourists never try and haggle prices like Western tourists do."

Edited by Oscar2

Only if those young Chinese men reject the domestic violence of their fathers. The Thai women I know tell me they don't want another Thai husband because they don't want to be beaten. The same would hold true for Chinese.

When it comes to romancing Asian women, Asian men are Western men's assets: They drive the women to us.