Thai South: Vendors Close Shops Out Of Fear Of 'punishment'

webfact

Vendors close shops in South out of fear of 'punishment'

The Nation

30191369-01_big.jpg

Soldiers tell stallowners at Pimonchai Market in Yala district to be confident about their safety as many shops in Pattani and Narathiwat closed down yesterday after they received leaflets threatening them with punishment if they did not follow Muslim regulations.

PATTANI: -- Many shops in Pattani and Narathiwat had to close yesterday after they received leaflets threatening shopowners with punishment if they did not follow Muslim regulations about Friday being a day of rest.

Nimu Makajeh, an Islam expert, said there was no prohibition as such because according to the religion, everyday is good for work.

"That warning is wrong. There is no such prohibition in our teachings," he said.

Vendors and shopowners in Pattani's downtown Thepwiwat fresh market, however, said they would shut down to avoid losses from attacks.

Residents in this province have been uneasy since last Friday's car bomb explosion in Sai Buri district, which killed six police officers and injured scores others.

Dispoon Changcharoen, owner of Chong Ah Restaurant, said business was usually good on Fridays because people liked to relax and dine out, but he preferred to stay safe and would hence be closing his restaurant this week. In any case, he said, it would be difficult to find fresh supplies.

He also called on the authorities to launch morale-boosting measures.

Muhammad Kasaha, manager of the Pattani branch of Saha Farms, said rumours of violence badly affected the sales of his products, mainly fresh chicken. He said the Pattani business community has been living in fear after rumours of imminent violence started circulating over the past two weeks.

Saha Farms' weekly promotion, which is normally held on Fridays, was moved to Thursday this week, he said.

Meanwhile in Narathiwat, Sungai Kolok district chief Chamnun Muendam, said Thai-Muslims usually closed their shops on Fridays to go pray at the mosque. However, after surveying the situation at a fresh market behind the Kenting Hotel, he said that many shopowners had shut down because they were worried about their safety.

He also called on vendors to not be intimidated by the leaflets and rumours, saying that Islamic teachings did not prevent Muslims from working on Fridays.

"Vendors can do business on any day. We have security officials in uniform and undercover policemen deployed in the market to provide safety," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-29

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know I only went to the 3rd grade and a very successful pig farmer. but enough of me.

I was wondering is trouble the in the South because of that terrible movie on You Tube from America.

or Maybe the Palestine's do not have a home land except Jordon

Please help me think correctly

1,951,603 Palestine refugees are located in Jordan, of whom 338,000 are still living in refugee camps. Jordan facilitated citizenship for the majority of the Palestinians. Current situation in the Deep South is related to the desire for autonomy, not that film, nor the Israeli/Palestine conflict. But I'm sure you know this info.

As you know I only went to the 3rd grade and a very successful pig farmer. but enough of me.

I was wondering is trouble the in the South because of that terrible movie on You Tube from America.

1,951,603 Palestine refugees are located in Jordan, of whom 338,000 are still living in refugee camps. Jordan facilitated citizenship for the majority of the Palestinians. Current situation in the Deep South is related to the desire for autonomy, not that film, nor the Israeli/Palestine conflict. But I'm sure you know this info.

Thanks So they do not want to be part of Jordon. Now I have been reading this normal in a lot of counties they want autonomy. So the answer to you is give them all autonomy that sounds good to me

One more question should all other counties do this.

Forcing their will on ordinary folk again. What a peaceful bunch they are.

They.. extreme Muslims are forcing their will on normal Muslims. It's not a bad Muslim / good rest of the world problem. Its an extremist minority against others.

FYI in the middle east all those bombings and killings kill more Muslims as any other religion. Its all an extremist versus normal Muslim kind of thing. Im pretty sure if it was up to the normal Muslims there was no problem.

• Like 2

Are you talking about these terrorists down South or the red shirt terrorists?

I thought that all the thugs down south are Yellow shirts. Red shirts are in the north !

Thanks So they do not want to be part of Jordon. Now I have been reading this normal in a lot of counties they want autonomy. So the answer to you is give them all autonomy that sounds good to me

One more question should all other counties do this.

If they are Jordanian citizens I would of thought they are Jordanian, but would imagine they would still want their own Palestinian state e.g. two state solution under the Oslo Accords. Regards your question on autonomy, sometimes a politically negotiated compromise is better than ongoing killing and conflict. As far as I am aware that's now most conflicts based on a push for autonomy/recognition of equal rights are bought to a conclusion. Perhaps you have a better solution, probably based on kill them all/kick them out of their homeland etc, etc or have I misread you?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

you really must love the religion of peace

A firm hand is needed here. The Muslim community needs some of its own medicine. Time to draw a line across the sand and move each to its own side. Annex a small chunk of useless land (at the boarder,) build a wall around it and send the trouble makers to live there in exile. Shoot anyone entering back into Thailand.thumbsup.gif

I wonder why people think that Muslims are not getting killed here by the extremist. Its not just Buddhist getting killed here, its everyone including Muslims that get killed. If you read about the scared shop owner in the article he is clearly a Muslim.

There is a minority here (among the Muslims) trying to oppose their will to them all. Its not like all Muslims over there are evil.

Don 't you just love the simple minds here on Thaivisa.

What continues to come through, is that the minority seem to be able to dictate to the majority with impunity. Citizens don't identify and denounce them, the authorities don't catch them. It must be that they are invisible. No one sees or finds anything. Finally, these areas are within the Thai borders, meaning they are in Thailand, meaning that the Thai law covers them, same as everyone else. If Thailand wants the shops closed on Friday then the government would make the laws, that apply to all.

you really must love the religion of peace

A firm hand is needed here. The Muslim community needs some of its own medicine. Time to draw a line across the sand and move each to its own side. Annex a small chunk of useless land (at the boarder,) build a wall around it and send the trouble makers to live there in exile. Shoot anyone entering back into Thailand.thumbsup.gif

I wonder why people think that Muslims are not getting killed here by the extremist. Its not just Buddhist getting killed here, its everyone including Muslims that get killed. If you read about the scared shop owner in the article he is clearly a Muslim.

There is a minority here (among the Muslims) trying to oppose their will to them all. Its not like all Muslims over there are evil.

Don 't you just love the simple minds here on Thaivisa.

What continues to come through, is that the minority seem to be able to dictate to the majority with impunity. Citizens don't identify and denounce them, the authorities don't catch them. It must be that they are invisible. No one sees or finds anything. Finally, these areas are within the Thai borders, meaning they are in Thailand, meaning that the Thai law covers them, same as everyone else. If Thailand wants the shops closed on Friday then the government would make the laws, that apply to all.

Thing is the army does not seem to be able to do enough to protect people. Would you denounce them in public risking death ? I might if the army was real good at protecting, but not in the state it is here. Would you go against the mob or something like that risking death when its easier to stay silent (unless of course the police could really protect you and such)

• Like 1

They.. extreme Muslims are forcing their will on normal Muslims. It's not a bad Muslim / good rest of the world problem. Its an extremist minority against others.

FYI in the middle east all those bombings and killings kill more Muslims as any other religion. Its all an extremist versus normal Muslim kind of thing. Im pretty sure if it was up to the normal Muslims there was no problem.

The extreme (fundamentally) insane v the normal (moderately) insane. I wonder how that will play out. If only there were some historically comparative situations...

With insanity so ludicrous there can be 'confusion' over a weekly day of rest; one wonders whether or not the world has gone about Insanity all wrong from the start.

The odd thing about this is that the extremists seem to be the only ones who are willing to put up a fight. The Thai fighter is backing away from the fight as he dances around the ring, and the whole crowd on both sides are booing the Thai fighter. A few idiots are booing the Muslim fighter, but it is not sensible to blame the Muslim fighter simply because he is causing trouble that deserves a response. It is more sensible to blame the one who is responsible for ending the Muslim fighter's ability to fight. It reaffirms my conviction that Thais, as single individuals, are cowards at heart and will not resort to violence unless they are driven mad (hence losing any sense of reason and Thai identity and becoming lower than a beast). Even with having 10/1 odds in their favor they still hesitate (thinking only in the individual mindset and not using the group strength to gain a logical and intelligent outcome), and so they take undue punishment until they are... you got it... driven mad. The sum of this figurative mob is equal to 10 individuals gone mad and acting, to all appearances, as an organized group, with the intent to main or kill. However, it has no relevance to an organized group of men acting as a unified whole towards an intelligent outcome. I qualify that with not being able to remember any mention of a Thai ever having taken a swing once and stopped; rather once they take a swing they do not stop until the opposition is unconscious or dead. Even in the unconscious state, the victor cannot resist the temptation to continue stomping on the head of the felled opponent. Madness.

As their problem solving skills in politics, economics and military have been ridiculously demonstrated, I have no doubt that the end solution is not on the immediate horizon, and the path to that solution will involve countless, senseless deaths, disruptions of healthy living and damage to Thailand's positive international image as a Hub.

The extreme (fundamentally) insane v the normal (moderately) insane. I wonder how that will play out. If only there were some historically comparative situations...

With insanity so ludicrous there can be 'confusion' over a weekly day of rest; one wonders whether or not the world has gone about Insanity all wrong from the start.

I will not argue the logic of religion, im an atheist so the day off ect is all illogical for me. But you seem to be missing the point that i was making. I made it a few times so i give up.

The odd thing about this is that the extremists seem to be the only ones who are willing to put up a fight. The Thai fighter is backing away from the fight as he dances around the ring, and the whole crowd on both sides are booing the Thai fighter. A few idiots are booing the Muslim fighter, but it is not sensible to blame the Muslim fighter simply because he is causing trouble that deserves a response. It is more sensible to blame the one who is responsible for ending the Muslim fighter's ability to fight. It reaffirms my conviction that Thais, as single individuals, are cowards at heart and will not resort to violence unless they are driven mad (hence losing any sense of reason and Thai identity and becoming lower than a beast). Even with having 10/1 odds in their favor they still hesitate (thinking only in the individual mindset and not using the group strength to gain a logical and intelligent outcome), and so they take undue punishment until they are... you got it... driven mad. The sum of this figurative mob is equal to 10 individuals gone mad and acting, to all appearances, as an organized group, with the intent to main or kill. However, it has no relevance to an organized group of men acting as a unified whole towards an intelligent outcome. I qualify that with not being able to remember any mention of a Thai ever having taken a swing once and stopped; rather once they take a swing they do not stop until the opposition is unconscious or dead. Even in the unconscious state, the victor cannot resist the temptation to continue stomping on the head of the felled opponent. Madness.

As their problem solving skills in politics, economics and military have been ridiculously demonstrated, I have no doubt that the end solution is not on the immediate horizon, and the path to that solution will involve countless, senseless deaths, disruptions of healthy living and damage to Thailand's positive international image as a Hub.

On the topic of the Thai military war fighting effectiveness & professionalism they were praised by Allied commanders during both the Vietnam and Korean wars. You might recall that the Thai government has wanted to seek a political resolution to the current conflict in the Deep South, but until very recently had been rejected by the Thai military.

Edited by simple1

I will not argue the logic of religion, im an atheist so the day off ect is all illogical for me. But you seem to be missing the point that i was making. I made it a few times so i give up.

Your point was obvious, and obviously rebutted / dismissed. There is no such thing as moderate insanity; if you assert that you hold [insert Holy Book here] to be the Word of [insert deity you assert that you defer to here], you will either be exposing yourself to [insert any interpretation of anything here] or you will be forced to recant.

Of course, your interpretation might not concur with the guy who controls the guys that will kill you if you shrug and Inshallah your interpretive differences of opinion away. In which case, you can debate your theological position with yourself as the blood starts being splashed or you can decide whether your "moderacy" is fundamentally important to you after all.

This is really basic game theory. Moderacy = Fundamentalism (in Reality).

Because what fundamentalists are, whether it's pleasant or not to accept, is fundamentally correct.

I'm not an atheist. How could I pretend to know what I cannot know?

I'm an anti-theist. They are pretending not only to know what cannot be known, they are lying about it. Lies are very, very easy to prove false; if I asserted that some god only I could converse with or interpret needed you to do something or stop doing something (like have fun without hurting anybody), the State could - on paper - demand from me some evidence (just one iota) and when I failed to provide supporting evidence for my hate speech against gays, they could - and should - instantly Rest me In Peace.

Of course the State is very tolerant of (insane) self-defeating / hateful / miserable beliefs because the Church created the State and they're both mixed up in the same game; namely, exploiting the power given to them by those they can make to be emotionally insane. The sane do not give their power away. Only the insane imagine they're being shrewd in letting Authoritarian Sociopaths handle all their thinking for them. Historically, they've died at a steady prodigious rate.

• Like 1