Being Lazy

Yesterday evening the Mrs. said the chain was loose on the Honda Wave.

(my job, all maintenance and repairs as well to pay for everything, Her job, keeping her friends up to date on facebook)

Being the lazy man I am, I did nothing, thinking I will check it tomorrow.

(and maybe the good motorcycle fairies will take care of it during the night)

Tomorrow came and I did not remember until I was on my way taking my daughter to school. Loose it was, very. So I thought I would just drive slowly. Dropped off my daughter 11 km away in the heart of the city at school with out incident. On the way home again, the chain fell off the sprocket I slowly glided to the shoulder and down a small side road. By hand I put the chain back on again and even more slowly now, about 5 km from home drove on. Again the chain fell off, this time locking the rear wheel. The bike came to a screeching halt, mid traffic in morning rush hour.

(Good thing I don't get embarrassed easy)

Any motorbike that the rear wheel is locked is not easy to move. So I lifted the bikes hind side up to move it to the shoulder.(thank god it was my wave and not the heavy Ninja) Lucky (maybe not) I had my phone to call the Mrs. who quickly pointed out again and again "I told you so". Not the nice "I hope your alright" I wanted. My wife could not bring the truck because she only has a motorbike license like most. (Maybe most have nothing at all ?) So it was borrow a neighbors bike to get me, to take me home, to get the truck and return again.

Loading a bike with a locked rear wheel , like moving it from a busy street, is not the easiest thing either, even if it is just a little scooter.

Home and now apart, the chain with a now sheared link. Time for a new chain, and maybe time to teach my wife how to drive the truck better.

Being lazy is not always the easiest thing to do

post-131287-0-02090700-1349147910_thumb.

Same thing happened to me on my KSR. Riding the back roads from Sathorn to Rama 4 via Klong Toey, the chain popped off where the road crosses the train tracks - just in time for my bike to (noisily) glide to a halt next to 5-6 Thai guys drinking whiskey and gambling outside their tin shack.

Anyone who knows Klong Toey will know that it's not the best place to break down at 10pm and I was wondering if things were about to get messy, but fortunately it was big smiles all round and one of them gave me a sheet of what I believe was Thai Rath to stop my hands getting dirty as I put the chain back on. Thanks guys wai.gif ...

• Like 1

Yes good you are OK Jeff.

It one of the reasons I stick to auto scooters, not much to do than take it to the shop every 4000 km or so, I am lazy too.

but belt snap is the worst man.

You can adjust a chain on an manual easily even with your bare hands but if the belt snaps off, nothing to do except calling a truck to carry your scooter to the mechanic.

but belt snap is the worst man.

You can adjust a chain on an manual easily even with your bare hands but if the belt snaps off, nothing to do except calling a truck to carry your scooter to the mechanic.

I hear you, but its not very likely to happen in my case. Even on a 3 year old fino with 14km on it no problems, not sure how many km a belt can go but a wild guess is 50k km? A belt is very unlikely to lock the rear wheel

When I had a HD it was a bit of a worry as some of my buddies had it happen to them and as you said, bike on a pick-up truck to either home or nearest HD mechanic.

Glad to hear you are OK. "Told you so", 555. Sounds just like my wife.

I hear that "Told you so " a lot and i also hear myself saying " You didn't listen to what i said did you" About evens i think !!!