2013 Platinum Px250 Enduro 67,000B

NomadJoe

I also have serious reservations with Platinum motorcycles, but everybody can improve there act. Still 67,000 THB seems a bit much, my hope is on Shineray that they can get homologation for their Shineray XY250GY-4 motorcycle it only costs 38,000 THB (currently not road legal). I know two persons who have a Platinum, one has a PX125 and the other a PX175 and they seem happy with it, but all the bad things I hear about Platinum cannot be all lies...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

The Shineray XY250GY-4 comes with 18" wheels so it should be easy to get regular "supermotard" road tires for it without the need to change the rims... The Shineray XY250GY-4 is powered by a 230cc air-cooled engine presumably made by Zongshen

I talked to a dealer in Bangkok, but shied away from this one. Not possible to get a plate, green book, and she said that that I would not have an invoice of import duties paid. That just screams "confiscate me". I wanted a throw about bike, one I could ride once a month on some trails, no jumps or heavy thrashing. 38000 baht is not alot of money, but I would hate to have it taken by the police. I would probably be riding it in Bangkok to get to the trails, and not always be loading it in my truck to drive it out of the city. So 67000 baht for legal bike is tempting. Crap quality or not, I will keep the PX250 in mind.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have serious reservations with Platinum motorcycles, but everybody can improve there act. Still 67,000 THB seems a bit much, my hope is on Shineray that they can get homologation for their Shineray XY250GY-4 motorcycle it only costs 38,000 THB (currently not road legal). I know two persons who have a Platinum, one has a PX125 and the other a PX175 and they seem happy with it, but all the bad things I hear about Platinum cannot be all lies...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

The Shineray XY250GY-4 comes with 18" wheels so it should be easy to get regular "supermotard" road tires for it without the need to change the rims... The Shineray XY250GY-4 is powered by a 230cc air-cooled engine presumably made by Zongshen

I talked to a dealer in Bangkok, but shied away from this one. Not possible to get a plate, green book, and she said that that I would not have an invoice of import duties paid. That just screams "confiscate me". I wanted a throw about bike, one I could ride once a month on some trails, no jumps or heavy thrashing. 38000 baht is not alot of money, but I would hate to have it taken by the police. I would probably be riding it in Bangkok to get to the trails, and not always be loading it in my truck to drive it out of the city. So 67000 baht for legal bike is tempting. Crap quality or not, I will keep the PX250 in mind.

I wonder how much import duties you wanted to see paid on an invoice for a 250cc motorcycle imported under a Chinese – Thai free-trade-agreement which covers motorcycles and motorcycle parts for engines not exciding 250cc.. I'm sure you not shy to pay the 7% sale tax...

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

I wonder how much import duties you wanted to see paid on an invoice for a 250cc motorcycle imported under a Chinese – Thai free-trade-agreement which covers motorcycles and motorcycle parts for engines not exciding 250cc.. I'm sure you not shy to pay the 7% sale tax...

Pray tell how to do that when the dealer/distributor does not give you the neccesary papers. If it was so easy surely the dealer would do it... no.

sent from my ..................#

kII2tkRhT10804160849.jpg

I don't care about the amount. I don't like the idea of not being able to show anything to a policeman, no plate, no road tax, no book, no import duties, probably not even a receipt from the dealer. For all he would know, it is a stolen bike. How did it get into Thailand? How can I prove it is mine? I will pass on all the trouble that will ensue.

• 2 months later...

DSE0545post-171099-0-82494100-1355921523_thumb.post-171099-0-00716500-1355921522_thumb.post-171099-0-56740600-1355921520_thumb.post-171099-0-65448400-1355921518_thumb.OK so i have this bike 1000 plus k on the clock, no its not a honda but up to now all good,

road tyres fitted now as the standard were deadly,

handling good , comfortable, had to top up frunt shocks as bit sloppy,

had local mechanic check it all out ready for my trip at new year(couple weeks away)

many admirers of the bike when parked up there is nearly always someone sat looking and talking about it on my return,

have spoke to two thai guys with 175 and 200 lifan and they can not prase them enough,

Guys if i wanted a rolls i would have bought a Honda but for this price what a steel,

beware tho , purchased from a dealer in Chiang mai, took it for aoil change twice while i went to study thai,

payed him for an oil change 2 times, 3rd oil change was to synthetic elswhere as he said no can do,

oil out was black as Tar, he had not changed my oil(yes my fault for not checking) and he took my money, do not trust what you dont see here,

will keep you posted, please look at gt rider as i have posted there,

jap bike bias riders please give these a bit of a chance, until you know a bit more about them,

the build quality is better than Lifan with a strong solid frame, yes plastics look a bit drab to a honda but what do you expect for the price,

buy the way this bike with off road tyres done everything and went everywhere off road where and wd weth ease as the honda did,

one thing is the geering is different to the crf, im in third hes in fourth im 4th hes 5th

Think its a bit early to be putting synthetic oil in there.

yes you may be right bit on much advice from many bikers i went for it,if you seen the cutting paste that came out from my oil change i think its beddidin,

its running really smoth with new oil ngk plug and fuel filter that had crap in it

Stingy? you could say that about some of the owners of these bikes wanting everything cheap then complaining when it breaks or doesn't work,wasn't it you with the tiger boxer always complaining?

Never mind, none of these well known proponents of cheap, crap bikes here would actually ever buy one. It's just hot air.

Those who actually have this bike (one?) - thanks for adding some value to this thread :)

Nikster, nice, you play the troll for us now? Do we really need one more? Isnt my CBR150 cheap enough to participate in threads about cheap bikes? And its made inThailand too. Get out and have some fun on one of your great superduper bikes. Seems like you need it :)

This forum is about the platenum 250 or any new platinum bike, if you jap critics want to troll this forum ?then why???

stay on your own forums instead of wasting typing space on this forum,

have you nothing better to do???,

being its almost based on the old air cooled honda then your halfway to slagging off your old honda's

this bike of mine is getting the crap thrashed out of it and its loving it as did the older air cooled honda's

i drive it litteraly everywhere where some of you would not tread on your cbr's and would your cbr's take the pounding this bike is getting??i think not

thanks to those who post polite posts

This forum is about the platenum 250 or any new platinum bike, if you jap critics want to troll this forum ?then why???

being its almost based on the old air cooled honda then your halfway to slagging off your old honda's

this bike of mine is getting the crap thrashed out of it and its loving it as did the older air cooled honda's

i drive it litteraly everywhere where some of you would not tread on your cbr's and would your cbr's take the pounding this bike is getting??i think not

It's the Chinese habit of building things to the lowest possible standard that will continue to plague their reputation. Sure there are some products out of China that are world standard, but you will find lots of input from Western companies like Panasonic, GM, Apple et al behind the scenes....or in front.

Get back to us when you have 10k on the speedo......or in 6 months if the speedo stops working.....and give us an honest report on how your bike is going....or not going.

It's the Chinese habit of building things to the lowest possible standard that will continue to plague their reputation. Sure there are some products out of China that are world standard, but you will find lots of input from Western companies like Panasonic, GM, Apple et al behind the scenes....or in front.

Get back to us when you have 10k on the speedo......or in 6 months if the speedo stops working.....and give us an honest report on how your bike is going....or not going.

Small detail is that Platinum motorcycles is not a Chinese company. The company is 100% owned by Thai.

This makes sober reading

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/6962490/Come-back-Not-for-all-the-scooters-in-China.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/6962703/Why-Made-in-China-is-a-mark-of-shame.html

Small detail is that Platinum motorcycles is not a Chinese company. The company is 100% owned by Thai.

Yeah, and Thai's don't do any shoddy work do they? :-)

This makes sober reading

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/6962490/Come-back-Not-for-all-the-scooters-in-China.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/6962703/Why-Made-in-China-is-a-mark-of-shame.html

Lmfao. So they changed his name to chris for the story .......that could be our Richard ......lol

Quality police is trolling again. We have many happy members owning a Lifan. Seems all members who own a Keeway are happy too. Now there is a happy owner of the new Platinum Px250. But quality police knows it better of course whistling.gif

I hope DEANEBURNE will ignore them and keep on posting reports of his bike in future. Thats the only way we are able to do honest comparisons between these cheaper, low tech bikes.

Richard, i guess there are at least "some" chinese parts on the Platinum bikes. The company is Thai, but the bikes are not 100% "Made in Thailand" i guess. Do you know what parts are made in Thailand?

Yes Deaneburne, thank you very much for your post and I hope you keep posting, it drives the Jap bike guys crazy when we say positive stuff about our much higher value per baht motorcycles. 2 years with my Lifan and it cost only 46k, If I had bought the D-tracker at that time. I would have lost that much in depreciation by now. Seems like their is no reason why I wouldn't get 5 or even 10 years out of this bike (except for the sake of variety). 5 years would be like renting a bike for under 10k a year. But I would still have a bike to sell at the end.

Quality police is trolling again. We have many happy members owning a Lifan. Seems all members who own a Keeway are happy too. Now there is a happy owner of the new Platinum Px250. But quality police knows it better of course whistling.gif

I hope DEANEBURNE will ignore them and keep on posting reports of his bike in future. Thats the only way we are able to do honest comparisons between these cheaper, low tech bikes.

Richard, i guess there are at least "some" chinese parts on the Platinum bikes. The company is Thai, but the bikes are not 100% "Made in Thailand" i guess. Do you know what parts are made in Thailand?

Just out of interest how many members own a Lifan and how many a Keeway?

This makes sober reading

Lmfao. So they changed his name to chris for the story .......that could be our Richard ......lol

Very true.

Classic Chinese style of business.

Never buy something moving from China.

Chinese bikes are an insult to motorcycling man.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry I don t have mechanics to repair my motorbike... I don't need them for the simple reason in the 5 years I OWN my Platium motorbike there where no serious problems that I couldn't fix myself.

Yes I am one of those people who really OWN a Chinese "crap" motorbike and I can write forums like this full with all the happy kilometres and modifications i did make with it.

• That I still drive on the original front and back tire and spark plug.
  • That the odo meter broke after 27.000 Km and that I got a free new replacement.
  • That I changed the original chain 500 Km ago.
  • That I change the chain rolls direction and flank side every 100 Km.
  • That the chain is put in hot oil after cleaning and checking.
  • That I lower and stretch the frame so my 2.06 meter body size fit better.
  • That I lower the foot steps, break and gear pedal for more leg rest.
  • That I removed the duo sit and make a steel frame so that I could place a duo helmet box.
  • That I make a full body windshield that cost me 20 Km from my top speed.
  • That I adapted and smoothen the air intake and mix flow.
  • That the carburettor needle is adjustable from the steer for a more or less, petrol consuming, relax style of driving.
  • That I build a new valve cam so the exit valve stay open the maximum time.
  • That I rebuild and modify a second hand CDI so the maximum speed barrier is gone and a adjustable spark timing.
  • That I changed the front and rear sprocket for a more optimal power band in the cruise speed.
  • That I adapted the electric power supply by adapting the generator.
  • That I have a total of 5 65Watt halogen lamps and a 120 decibel horn who all can work at the same time.
  • That I changed the electrical circuit so when I use my turn signals the front halogen lamp flash also.
  • That I also can use the front halogen laps as flash lights, switch in or out sequence.
  • That the main front halogen lamp have an on and a on to dim switch for both lamps. High and dim beam.
  • That I have a switch 120 decibel 1 tone horn or a 120 decibel programmable siren.
  • That the cruise speed is 80 - 90 Km / H with screen and 130 kilo driver.
  • That the top speed is 135 Km / H with screen and 130 kilo driver.
  • That the average petrol use is 1 L / 32 Km in country drive and 1 L / 22 in city drive.
  • That the motorbike never stopped during trips.
  • That it always start even after a 4 month stand still during the flooding.
  • That the chrome now on some places start get rust pits.
  • That the fore forks still work perfect and not leak.
  • That the front breaks still have the original break plates. 3.9 mm break material left.
  • That the back brakes still have the original shoes. 4.2 mm break material left on the lowest point.
  • That the turn signal lamps and back/break lamp still have their original lamps.
  • That I changed the hard plastic hand grips for soft rubber ones to absorb some of the engine vibrations.
  • That I repaired and sprayed the side boxes after a Fortuner pushes me away for a traffic light.
  • That I build a metal frame inside the plastic rear fender to make the fender work like a bumper.
  • That the front fender also is build with a metal frame so it can easily survive a collision with a dog.
  • That all cables are original and still have not reached half the adjustable length.
  • That the motorbike drove more then 50.000 till now.
  • That I bought the motorbike, a helmet, jack, 1 year insurance ,1 year road tax and 3 year anti theft insurance for 45.000 Bath.
  • That I spend about 10.000 Bath an modifications and spares like oil, light bulbs, chain, side box closers and stainless steel bolds and nuts.
  • That I am a happy Platium J150 motorbike driver.

Well thats interesting Dutchrdam. It's obviously not a Monday or Friday bike! Do you ride a motorcycle because it is an economical way to travel or are you what I would call "a motorcycling enthusiast"?

Not so many months ago Pattaya Auctions had a consignment of new and near new Platinums for sale, as well as some used bikes, which gave me an opportunity to have a look at Platinum 250 and 150 up close.

I thought they were....NASTY. Chrome parts had some surface rust. The way the front brake hose was mounted was farm shed engineering at best. A couple had traces of oil leaks around engine. But overall they looked uninviting to anyone who was really into motorcycles.

On the plus side though the ones that started had a good engine sound coming from the standard muffler.....and the headlight and blinkers worked.

I was surprised when some of them went for mid 60k baht. To me they looked like 30k baht bikes.

Sorry I don t have mechanics to repair my motorbike... I don't need them for the simple reason in the 5 years I OWN my Platium motorbike there where no serious problems that I couldn't fix myself.

Yes I am one of those people who really OWN a Chinese "crap" motorbike and I can write forums like this full with all the happy kilometres and modifications i did make with it.

• That the odo meter broke after 27.000 Km and that I got a free new replacement.
  • That I removed the duo sit and make a steel frame so that I could place a duo helmet box.
  • That the carburettor needle is adjustable from the steer for a more or less, petrol consuming, relax style of driving.
  • That I rebuild and modify a second hand CDI so the maximum speed barrier is gone and a adjustable spark timing.
  • That I changed the front and rear sprocket for a more optimal power band in the cruise speed.
  • That I have a total of 5 65Watt halogen lamps and a 120 decibel horn who all can work at the same time.
  • That I changed the electrical circuit so when I use my turn signals the front halogen lamp flash also.
  • That I also can use the front halogen laps as flash lights, switch in or out sequence.
  • That the main front halogen lamp have an on and a on to dim switch for both lamps. High and dim beam.
  • That I have a switch 120 decibel 1 tone horn or a 120 decibel programmable siren.
  • That the average petrol use is 1 L / 32 Km in country drive and 1 L / 22 in city drive.
  • That the front breaks still have the original break plates. 3.9 mm break material left.
  • That the back brakes still have the original shoes. 4.2 mm break material left on the lowest point.
  • That the turn signal lamps and back/break lamp still have their original lamps.
  • That I changed the hard plastic hand grips for soft rubber ones to absorb some of the engine vibrations.
  • That I repaired and sprayed the side boxes after a Fortuner pushes me away for a traffic light.
  • That I build a metal frame inside the plastic rear fender to make the fender work like a bumper.
  • That the front fender also is build with a metal frame so it can easily survive a collision with a dog.
  • That all cables are original and still have not reached half the adjustable length.
  • That I bought the motorbike, a helmet, jack, 1 year insurance ,1 year road tax and 3 year anti theft insurance for 45.000 Bath.
  • That I spend about 10.000 Bath an modifications and spares like oil, light bulbs, chain, side box closers and stainless steel bolds and nuts.

Can you upload some pictures of your bike, like to see how it looks after your mods

27,000 km from the same original brake pads , you must plan your riding and gear changes so far ahead that you don't actually need to use the brakes.

He actually says the bike has done 50000 kms, yep fifty thousand kilometres, on the original brake pads, shoes and tyres!

Maybe it's done all those km while strapped to a trailer and towed by a car,I am finding it hard to believe some of these comments ,my Honda click has new pads around every 6 months and my crf has 3,900 km on it and the front pads are pretty worn....,

WOW! That's really great.

Always nice to have a dissenting voice to counter the knee-jerk "Chinese crap" brigade.

Maybe it's done all those km while strapped to a trailer and towed by a car,I am finding it hard to believe some of these comments ,my Honda click has new pads around every 6 months and my crf has 3,900 km on it and the front pads are pretty worn....,

If a click is going through pads every 6 months then I would suspect a problem with either the disc or pad quality.

My cbr250r has 13k on the clock and the brake pads are barely worn.

Archived