Really, Why Did You Come To Live In Thailand ?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a software engineer before coming here (still am). I have been able to work successfully remotely on a freelance basis.

20 something software engineer, you must have started working early in life ....... hmmmm ...... are the gaps in the story beginning to show.

No I'm wrong ....... you really are Bill Gates (profuse apologies, I was fooled by the bogus age claims).

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Before the wife became the 'ex' she wanted me out of her hair, plus the house, her life and her bed.

Company had openings worldwide, took one in Indonesia, wife was happy (extremely so) that I done the 90 day, tax rule for non-residence.

Only problem were?? Where to live in Asia? Lots of guys were already in Thailand, so ended coming here after some travels.

Cost of living, weather and the lovely women if one has to be honest.

Also, it was a pleasure to get back to nature (sort off) working on farms and rural homes, fitting pressurised water systems, lights, power circuits and overhauling lots of little diesels.

Okay being eaten alive by many things, suffering headaches from heat and dehydration. But in return I had found a country and people I could relax and enjoy my life with.

Not for all ex-pats though, living quite rough and eating Thai food in a rural enviroment is not for the majority, but the boy scout in me took to it.

Have now built my retirement home, with all mods and cons, intend calling it quits no later than Aug 2015.

Back in the UK my ex is angry (cheesy.gif ) and bitter that I have prospered without her, cannot get my dosh that is in the bank, and incandesant with rage that I am happier now than when married (angry.png ).

My son is happy for me and been out visiting a few times. Wishes me the best, say's never seen me so happy and relaxed.

So why did I come to live in Thailand??

1) Found a niche in life that convinced me, this was my place (happiness and contentment).

2) Earnings tax free.

3) Weather/climate.

4) The beautiful women (should of been placed 1st)

Edited by tmd5855
  • Like 2

I was a software engineer before coming here (still am). I have been able to work successfully remotely on a freelance basis.

20 something software engineer, you must have started working early in life ....... hmmmm ...... are the gaps in the story beginning to show.

No I'm wrong ....... you really are Bill Gates (profuse apologies, I was fooled by the bogus age claims).

Tommo, go back and search my posts dating months ago. They are very consistent. You will find the same recurring themes:

1) I am 29 years old. (mentioned dozens of times)

2) I am from NY. (degree from NYU, class of 2005; mentioned many times)

3) I spent 6 years as a software developer in the financial industry. (contribute regularly over on the Linux/technology forum on TV)

4) I will return home next year. (mentioned in a thread I started with over 9,000 views)

5) I don't drink or visit go go bars (had this discussion with you several times)

Please feel free to check previous posts to verify all of this information.

Clearly it is beyond your comprehension that a person can spend time in Thailand without spending their days hunkered over a bar stool in a go-go bar?

(*If your scratching your head at this post, TommoPhycisist is angry because some other TV members don't hang out with hookers. Useless spillover from another thread) wai.gif

• Like 2

Tommo, go back and search my posts dating months ago.

5) I don't drink or visit go go bars (had this discussion with you several times)

Clearly it is beyond your comprehension that a person can spend time in Thailand without spending their days hunkered over a bar stool in a go-go bar?

(*If your scratching your head at this post, TommoPhycisist is angry because some other TV members don't hang out with hookers. Useless spillover from another thread) wai.gif

And if you had read my previous posts, you would know I don't drink alcohol or hang around in bars either. Can't deny the hooker bit though, my sister-in-law (hooker) often comes to stay, I wish she didn't, but not my call.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

And if you had read my previous posts, you would know I don't drink alcohol or hang around in bars either. Can't deny the hooker bit though, my sister-in-law (hooker) often comes to stay, I wish she didn't, but not my call.

you are a monkey spanker. and it runs in the family.

• Like 2

I am aware of your penchant for farming, etc. Had many discussions over the past on other threads.

Don't understand the need to ridicule those who live similar lifestyles to their homes.

Not everyone turns into a hard drinking womanizer after arriving at Bangkok airport?

I figured I'd be let go at the job cos I'd just lost interest in the whole corporate bullshit machine and the drudgery of the Central Line crush from Holland Park to Bank stations every morning. I jumped before being pushed, sold the flat, invested the profits and left.

Having never been to Thailand before, I had no intention of staying but the cost of living in Bangkok - even a Western lifestyle - was (and remains) considerably cheaper than my corner of West London and the local food was cheap and plentiful, I decided to hang on for a bit.

The women - well, the majority of those available to foreigners - were not part of the decision to stay.

I've had no shortage of female attention or company in any country.

• Like 2

I figured I'd be let go at the job cos I'd just lost interest in the whole corporate bullshit machine and the drudgery of the Central Line crush from Holland Park to Bank stations every morning. I jumped before being pushed, sold the flat, invested the profits and left.

Having never been to Thailand before, I had no intention of staying but the cost of living in Bangkok - even a Western lifestyle - was (and remains) considerably cheaper than my corner of West London and the local food was cheap and plentiful, I decided to hang on for a bit.

The women - well, the majority of those available to foreigners - were not part of the decision to stay.

Interesting. But why Bangkok and not, say, Mexico City?

So I could ride my motorcycle without wearing a helmet.

Except, Thailand has a mandatory helmet law! LOL

OK, so its only illegal if they catch you, and since the cops don't have chase cars, you don't get caught much - and a 200baht fine is nothing really. (2 large Leo's in farang bar, 3 in Thai restaurant, 4 @ 7-Eleven).

Came here for a six month time-out after a pretty hectic 23 year career in 1997. I had been visiting Thailand for 9 years before this, so I knew the ropes before arriving. The six month thing sort of went out the window and I survived Pattaya for two years. This is not putting Pattaya down in any way; I say survived because of the routine I got myself into and nobody else. Still enjoyed every minute of it!

After the two years, sorted myself out and moved up-country with my wife (not BG) and we opened a bar/restaurant, really to give me something to do. Was later asked to do a favour for a friend (setting up a server and his workstations at his new workshop) and through that became fully employed and have been there ever since. Just shut the bar down after 12 years, 8 months and 4 days! Time to have some sort of home life!

Truthfully, it was never my intention to work in Thailand, to eventually live here yes, but not to work. Fate sometimes works in strange and mysterious ways! Equally truthful, I couldn't have asked for better.

Murder rate would have put me off.Murder rate would have put me off.

After the two years, sorted myself out and moved up-country with my wife (not BG)

Why did you mention that your wife's not a bar girl?

After the two years, sorted myself out and moved up-country with my wife (not BG)

Why not. ?

The greediest and nastiest girls are often not bargirls.

Beware of girls who work in tourist areas or girls who have a history of farang exes. A lot of these girls are nasty little hookers in disguise.

Not everyone turns into a hard drinking womanizer after arriving at Bangkok airport?

So you are amongst the famous 0.1% that are not affected on arrival.

I were a born again christian evangelist, but when attempting to gather a fallen woman into my flock, I succumbed and joined her flock in the local GoGo bar, in LK Metro.

Have not met Satan, but were told he is a tetotal firebrand??

So you are amongst the famous 0.1% that are not affected on arrival.

I were a born again christian evangelist, but when attempting to gather a fallen woman into my flock, I succumbed and joined her flock in the local GoGo bar, in LK Metro.

Have not met Satan, but were told he is a tetotal firebrand??

I am sure there are people who have gone to America and never had a hamburger too.biggrin.png

I am aware of your penchant for farming, etc. Had many discussions over the past on other threads.

Don't understand the need to ridicule those who live similar lifestyles to their homes.

Generally people who do that have something missing in their lives and see the need to lash out at anyone and anything,criticising everyone else for it.Where I come from we call them the lowest common denominator,just ignore them and they'll fall back asleep under their bridge eventually!thumbsup.gif

Can I ask, honestly please, a couple of chaps from UK gave said they moved to Thai as fed up etc etc with UK.

I'd love to do it, got a Thai wife and child and work in UK. Just 40 and mortgage free, not a mansion but all paid, no other debts.

What work is available as I can never find anything for expats?

Cheers

Working as a English teacher seems to be popular.

Even just as a stop gap or stepping stone to something that might reward you a little more monetarily!I've honestly tried to be as sensitive as possible there!