Really, Why Did You Come To Live In Thailand ?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as that really. The UK isn't much fun for working people. Also house prices. Also that UK immigration put up such a fight to stop wife and daughter going to the UK, even temporarily.

Back here [uK] now and it's even more aggravation than ever.

• Like 1

Came here to work...good money on the table, for a place that is not really considered a hardship positing, so was either here or back to Africa...seeing as already done the "Out of Africa" bit decided to give here a try and see were it ended up

I just lost a job back home and always wanted to work abroad. Since I just had turned 40, it was a "now or never"- decission. I work in tourism, have been to Thailand before (many times) on holiday and was interested in a new and different culture. Hell....I sure got that!

I rather die than freeze any more

I don't know what part of the country you come from, but I found the weather in England to be generally pleasantly mild, so long as your windows and doors were properly sealed and double-glazed, and you wore a good woolen coat when going out in winter,

You can't all have lived in Stornaway, surely?

SC

I rather die than freeze any more

I don't know what part of the country you come from, but I found the weather in England to be generally pleasantly mild, so long as your windows and doors were properly sealed and double-glazed, and you wore a good woolen coat when going out in winter,

You can't all have lived in Stornaway, surely?

SC

I agree with poanoi. thumbsup.gif

Can I ask, honestly please, a couple of chaps from UK gave said they moved to Thai as fed up etc etc with UK.

I'd love to do it, got a Thai wife and child and work in UK. Just 40 and mortgage free, not a mansion but all paid, no other debts.

What work is available as I can never find anything for expats?

Cheers

Can I ask, honestly please, a couple of chaps from UK gave said they moved to Thai as fed up etc etc with UK.

I'd love to do it, got a Thai wife and child and work in UK. Just 40 and mortgage free, not a mansion but all paid, no other debts.

Cheers

If your current job takes you around the globe, then you could do that from Thailand just as well, perhaps.

If you export a lot to Thailand, or produce a lot in Thailand, then if your skills are in short supply here, or if you are a highly trusted senior member of your organisation, there may be a job for you.

If you work on the internet, you could perhaps try to avoid the long arm of the law and work here without a work permit.

SC

• Like 1

Cheers

Difficult to get work here ,and at 40 a little young ,

Cheers

Working as a English teacher seems to be popular.

• Like 1

I think for me the initial attraction was the feeling of freedom, the tropical climate vs long, cold, grey Melbourne winters and the fact that at the time there was plenty of work available, not particularly high paying work but I was young and single and the money I could earn was enough for a cheap but very cheerful lifestyle. I had a blast!

Now of course that "feeling of freedon" has mostly faded and been replaced with feelings of irritation at the lack of order everywhere I look, mostly on the roads...I think I'm just getting old and grumpy and probably after just a week of the real world I'd be craving the "freedom" again....and of course I wouldn't ever want to go back to those long winters but I do enjoy the cooler days/nights we've been experiencing of late.

• Like 1