Tot Wifi Internet

Thailand

Bloody terrible in Sansai, click click pages dont load or stuck half way,I am supposed

to be on 7 MBs, but i think its just numbers they pull out of the air,all the service providers

are increasing their offers of more MBs,one offers 6,the other 7,now its 10 and 13MBs for

the same money,but i am sure it was no better than when i had 3 MBs.

Its like a lot of things in Thailand you get screwed and you have no recourse,these big

companies just make their own rules up and do what they like,

Thailand & customer service,thats a oxymoron for you.

keep on clicking, regards Worgeordie

ToT has been upgrading it's equipment to 8Mb in CM this week.

The whole area is currently ..... knackered.

Sadly they are falling way behind 3bb's 10Mb, which actually connects at 12Mb

I got upgraded to 10Mb from 6Mb. It was better before the upgrade. sad.png

Will pay them a visit tomorrow.

Bloody terrible in Sansai, click click pages dont load or stuck half way,I am supposed

to be on 7 MBs, but i think its just numbers they pull out of the air,all the service providers

are increasing their offers of more MBs,one offers 6,the other 7,now its 10 and 13MBs for

the same money,but i am sure it was no better than when i had 3 MBs.

Its like a lot of things in Thailand you get screwed and you have no recourse,these big

companies just make their own rules up and do what they like,

Thailand & customer service,thats a oxymoron for you.

keep on clicking, regards Worgeordie

Depends in large part how many people you share the service with. Talk to your Bittorrent neighbors!! rolleyes.gif

First of all.....let's make sure that we are on the same page re: TOT's 'wi-net'....their name for long range wireless internet.

Out here in Doi Saket, I'm flying!! For the first time in a decade of never getting my money's worth, last week I upgraded to their highest offering 10mb down and 1 mb up and believe it or not I am actually getting what I am paying for. This upgrade only cost 300 thb more, but well worth it so far. Lets hope it stays that way [knock on wood].

Long shot, but if you actually connect to a known good server and downloading a large file is slow then yeah, poor bandwidth or the server you reached is overloaded. There are several sites via google which will actually report your download speed. I'm not in LOS so...

However, if you click on a link and don't get the response over and over but when you do the download speed is good, then the ISP's DNS servers might be overloaded. All of the home routers wired or wireless I've worked with have a way to choose an alternate DNS server. One of the first things I do when I install a router is to choose a big reliable DNS server and assign it as my alternate. If my ISP's server doesn't return the IP address fast enough, the router looks to the aternate.

All of the really big internet backbone companies put good self replicating DNS servers online.

As all of the techies here know, the internet doesn't deliver information or visit sites or even do email by a domain name any more than a person can be called on the phone by knowing his name. You have to covert that name to a phone # and then you can call. In a way the web is like that. We type in www.google.com and the web has no clue, other than to go to a DNS server and find out google's unique IP address and then it can "call." Our computers actually wait for the IP address to return before re-sending the request when we click a link. (I won't go into host files or cache issues.)

Bottom line: Be sure you have a good and big known DNS server as alternate in your router. Your local ISP may have crap for DNS. In fact, in Thailand, I might put a big, good, known DNS server as my primary and another as my secondary and skip my ISP altogether for that info.

$.02

Edited by NeverSure

So....are we all talking TOT 'Wi-net'?? the OP called it TOT 'wi-fi', which is a totally different service.

Just normal TOT crapnet here, Jaideeguy How much is this TOT WiFi service and what speeds

do they offer? regards Worgeordie

It's TOT wifi I was referring to.

And currently it's worse than ever,pages taking 3-4 minutes to load (if at all) from sites I have used before with no problem.

Dreadfull!

So TOT WiFi is crap as well !!,I thought it was just the wired service,I was going to their office tomorrow to see about,the WiFi service,so will have to go with plan B,? which is not easy as all providers seem rubbish. regards Worgeordie

It's TOT wifi I was referring to.

And currently it's worse than ever,pages taking 3-4 minutes to load (if at all) from sites I have used before with no problem.

Dreadfull!

So TOT WiFi is crap as well !!,I thought it was just the wired service,I was going to their office tomorrow to see about,the WiFi service,so will have to go with plan B,? which is not easy as all providers seem rubbish. regards Worgeordie

I have just spoken with TOT we/they have run a speed test which indicated there is a problem.The guy I spoke to was quite helpful and said they will be looking in to it ASAP,we will see.

It is only the past few days I have had the problem,normally/previously quite OK.

So....are we all talking TOT 'Wi-net'?? the OP called it TOT 'wi-fi', which is a totally different service.

Just normal TOT crapnet here, Jaideeguy How much is this TOT WiFi service and what speeds

do they offer? regards Worgeordie

What I have is a new offering from TOT called 'wi-net' and it's a directional wi-fi. I have a small dish antennae mounted on a 18 mtr steel pipe. Dish measures approx 6 inches by 10 inches and is now aimed at a new transmitter located on the top of Doi Saket. There are other transmitters around this part of CM....Sansai, San Kapheng and maybe a few more, but after having a weak and unstable signal, they hooked me up to Doi Saket and I upped my service to their highest offering and now finally get my full and mostly consistent internet speeds.

You guys speak of TOT 'wi-fi'..........is the above what you have??

ToT has been upgrading it's equipment to 8Mb in CM this week.

The whole area is currently ..... knackered.

Sadly they are falling way behind 3bb's 10Mb, which actually connects at 12Mb

We live in Don Chan area, and have BBB 10Mb, agree, 99% of the time it's excellent. Very ocasionally slower speed but still quite reasonable, with just small effect on e-mail, basic surfing etc., and seems to last only a few minutes. Happy with 3bb. .

I ran tot and 3bb side by side for 2 years in the Sansai area and there was no comparison for me. TOT was much faster with no torrent throttling whereas 3bb was much slower for downloading and torrents. I recently dumped 3bb and now only use Tot. I have not had any problems in the last few days and I am only on the 7mb plan.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Getting slower, Download 5.20 Mb/s.

Reported it to again TOT but got the standard "there is a problem in your area" and "we will report it to the technician".

Will check out 3BB.

Edited by Thailand

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am on TOT Wired (Phoneline) since 5 years,

near Wat Sing Kham Temple (11 km south down the Mae Ping behind Pa Dead)

My connection Box is about 1,2 km far, and last 500 meter i have just 2 lines cable -

falling down every morning dust, rain and wind.

The smaller I take the speed, like 1024/512, the better the stability. 3072/640 only usefull by sunny no wind waether conditons. But then I get also the speed with 300 kb/s in Downloads.

So I learnd to check where my box stands.

As a friend of me works telekom Germany and told me about solutions (ebst would be by own 2 twistet and each sheltered own cable to connect ...)

No I got Information by technician from TOT have been here checking and meassuere the line,

that just 2,5 km from my is a Wi-Net Sender/Connection Point. Where the 3rd Rinf Road crossing the Mae Ping River south of CM.

I apply for it, as mainly at morning I get really angry by every 5 minutes break down signal.

My the ons, have been posing here about wi-net

would tell about distance from there own antenna, with altutude at the house,

and distance to the next or used connection point,

and what speed connection is and what they really get.

Could make a map on google-earth with the data, heloping us and others.

Adverticind tells that can use up to 5km, and 3MB sure connection would be enought for me.

Thomas / at Sanpakwan

• 6 months later...

I am moving to Mae Onn shortly. Seems the only internet available is TOT wifi. Apparently TOT puts up some sort of repeater tower near my location and I connect with the signal from that tower. Does anyone have experience (1) in this area with this sort of TOT service, and (2) if I use it, can I secure the wifi effectively so no errant signals will be picked up by others? I would appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks.

I have TOT wifi it worked well for the first couple of months but since the beginning of April it has been terrible Sometimes it is off for one or two hours sometimes 3 or 4 days sometimes on and off 3 or 4 times in an hour. Unfortunately it is the only service in my area, other than GPRS. I live at the Kalasin, Roi-et, Mukdahan border.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1