Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

Ive noticed things like fridges are quite a bit cheaper in Thailand than Australia. So are motorbikes and new cars.

If you eat local and live local its alot cheaper.

UK - NEW HONDA WAVE 110i: PRICE £1,800 on the road, appx 88,000 Baht (double the price)

I wonder if Australia puts heavy tariffs on them like Canada does. The same Harley I can drive of the showroom floor for $US19,000 will cost a Canadian more like $US25,000. Other things are similar. There's a heavy import duty on them.

Nothing against Canadians. They are awesome people and some of our very best friends internationally and we work together well. They do have high taxes and tariffs which is part of how the government pays its bills. No criticism, just the way it is.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody hell there's not enough room,well my cider in the uk.costs £10 to £13 a case of 24,here it cost me 2,400bht=about £49.then there's hp sauce,branston pickle,oxo cubes it goes on and on.sad.png

But do you really need these items to live here, sure you would survive without them..biggrin.png

whats a bacon buttie without the hp,cold meat sarnies without branston, and gravy no oxo's but i can survive without them,but my cider after being brought up on the bottle of scrumpy 55yrs ago this i cant survive without.my wf understands so she has given up drinking and her luxury chocs.pass another can darling

re.

branston pickle

i bought a jar here in 09 and it was about 270 baht or just over a fiver but

i had a craving for a few cheese and pickle sandwiches which was sorted : )

dave2

how much do you have on your sarnies 3yrs and still some left,thats what i call oh shit forgot the word.

100% of everything except rent/mortgage and cellphone minutes

There is not an item cheaper than comparable quality in canada.

You must live in a different Canada mate

Gasoline

Fruit,Vegetables.meat,fish,rice etc

Warm weather clothing

Ladies clothing

Medicine ( Generic paracetamol is about 30 baht for 100..Canada ( e.g. Shoppers Drug Mart) about 10 bucks?.

Utilities

Some Appliances

Telephones+calling rates

beer, cigarettes

taxis,bus fares

etc etc are far less expensive in Thailand

Agreed many imported items and western styled products and services are more expensive ( based on target market methinks) ...you pays your money and takes your choice.

Oh! how I long for a Dairy Queen burger and fries and a large coffee....tongue.png

Things like imported wine and liquor are more expensive but 2-500 baht premium is not a deal breaker depending on your lifestyle..less than a day's parking in downtown Vancouver or Melbourne...lol

Gasoline is the same exact price. I check very often.

Fruits and veggies are cheaper or even priced in canada for almost all fruits. Some are cheaper in canada and some are cheaper in thailand. You can clearly see that by just looking at online brochures of supermarkets. I shop at asian supermarkets for fruits.

Clothing are the same price. Cheap clothing in thailand are fakes brand and those cost the same on ebay. Cheap clothes from tesco and small boutiques are the same clothes they sell at walmart for 1-10$. Regular clothes in thailand are the same price as any clothes i would find in a normal shopping center in canada. Sales are better in canada though.

Medecine? Im healthy i rarely need medecine and if i get really sick the GOVT will pay a good part of it.

Utilities? Internet is 3x the amount here and 17x slower. Electricity is about the same (4k baht per month)

Appliances? lol wat? Electronics and appliance are priced EXTREMELY higher in thailand(worst country in asia for electronics). Second hand is even worse because thais dont take care of their things.

Telephone is the only cheaper thing in thailand as long as its a cellphone. A regular phoneline i could get VOIP for 2.99$ and be satisfied in canada.

Beer: Cheaper in canada. A decent molson is 30baht. Right now even cheap disgusting rotten thai beer is more than 30baht witht he new tax. A good beer in thailand starts at 100baht+ Which is more expensive than a good microbrew in canada.

Cigs: Dont give a shit about cancer stick, anyone smoking them can drop dead tomorow in my own opinion.

Taxis and bus: Any self respecting working adult has a car and it will be cheaper to buy and own in canada. My last car in thailand cost me 38 000$ while in canada the price is 21 000$

Dont forget the schools and hospitals. 800$ per month for an average school no where near as good as any small free school in my city. Shitty hospitals filled with people who cheated on their exams that charge a lot.

Thailand is expensive. Some people have said it already they are here for the lifestyle. Those who keep trying to argue that thailand is still cheaper than most countries are just sexpats trying to cover up subconciously.

• Like 1

My holidays are cheaper here. No expensive flights.

Oh, and anyone thinking eating Thai food is being a peasant is a doughnut!

Some good quality things here are expensive, especially if you have children, but the price on it being sunny with gorgeous beaches, swimming pools, coconut shake, ice coffee, and prawns in batter versus it getting dark at 3pm in the afternoon in the uk make it worth it.

bloody hell there's not enough room,well my cider in the uk.costs £10 to £13 a case of 24,here it cost me 2,400bht=about £49.then there's hp sauce,branston pickle,oxo cubes it goes on and on.sad.png

But do you really need these items to live here, sure you would survive without them..biggrin.png

Without cider? Not for long I fear....

I do notice that when I visit the UK that Thai food is far more expensive than local food, so same same really.

indeed for example when my missus goes to the asian supermarket an unripened pappaya for her som tum is anything from £3.50-£4.50 so on average 200 baht....

so an everyday salad dish is now in Thailand is her luxury and treat!

When early waves of migrants from new cultures went to places like the US and Australia they improvised and made their 'own' food from home using whatever they could find locally. It still took two generations in many cases for their 'wierd' foods like salami, pasta and noodles to become mainstream. And with more demnd comes more supply competition and with those things comes lower prices and more diverse and in many cases indigenous versions of those products.

What we've got here in the case of this thread is essentially a group of immigrants scratching their heads as to why foreign foods stuffs are more expensive that back 'home'.

These johnny foreginers really have two options. Cop the higher prices, or go into business for themselves making these things and selling them locally - and hope to hell there is a market for them.

Now, if you are a supplier of these things, essentially you are selling to a speciality market of a relative small number of migrants. And you have to do a relatively lot of work to keep these new migrants happy - from sourcing the product in far off lands, importing it, paying customs and duty, paying in foreign currency and copping that loss, the opportunity cost of 30 to 60 day invoicing waits, transferring it the shop, the stock loss that goes with this process and have it sit on the shelf for gawd knows how long - hoping that jar of branston pickles of vegemite sells before it reaches its sell by date.

That is an awful lot of risk for the supplier to take so that a handful of migrants might be able to have their chese and pickle sarnie when they feel like it.

And you wonder why prices are more expensive than back home?

I'm not sure why I can see this post, I thought I had my rational posts filter on. Apparently it's still working for other posters.

:-|

When early waves of migrants from new cultures went to places like the US and Australia they improvised and made their 'own' food from home using whatever they could find locally. It still took two generations in many cases for their 'wierd' foods like salami, pasta and noodles to become mainstream. And with more demnd comes more supply competition and with those things comes lower prices and more diverse and in many cases indigenous versions of those products.

What we've got here in the case of this thread is essentially a group of immigrants scratching their heads as to why foreign foods stuffs are more expensive that back 'home'.

These johnny foreginers really have two options. Cop the higher prices, or go into business for themselves making these things and selling them locally - and hope to hell there is a market for them.

Now, if you are a supplier of these things, essentially you are selling to a speciality market of a relative small number of migrants. And you have to do a relatively lot of work to keep these new migrants happy - from sourcing the product in far off lands, importing it, paying customs and duty, paying in foreign currency and copping that loss, the opportunity cost of 30 to 60 day invoicing waits, transferring it the shop, the stock loss that goes with this process and have it sit on the shelf for gawd knows how long - hoping that jar of branston pickles of vegemite sells before it reaches its sell by date.

That is an awful lot of risk for the supplier to take so that a handful of migrants might be able to have their chese and pickle sarnie when they feel like it.

And you wonder why prices are more expensive than back home?

well farang are not migrants. they are largely either here retired or with an expat (read: office) job. immigrants move to other countries and end up with one of the many jobs farang are banned from practicing (whom, i wonder why?) thus farang have never become more than strangers in the country. not to mention that immigrants tend to marry a partner from their own culture or already married when they arrive - again, majority of farang here end up with the thai/wife gf. the analogies attempted from time to time to compare farang in Thailand to Thais in Australia/the west are inherently flawed - although obviously your basic lesson in economics and supply/demand/tariffs is relevant and a good point.

the russians may be making a shot at it though if they can buy up enough real estate in the same area and create a russia town that will grow exponentially in the future - oops, i forgot, land ownership is illegal for non-thais, i guess that is the end to that theory. Thailand for the Chinese i mean the Thais.

Edited by farang000999

Thought we all required HP sauce. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

Guess it depends on where you came from.

I find rent, taxis, public transport (BTS/MRT) much cheaper in Bangkok than in London. Locally sourced produce like fruit, vegetables meat, poultry and seafood is very cheap.

If you want to eat Western food every day then, for sure, you'll be crying at the checkout.

Reading some of the posts here, it seems a few really do believe the duties on Western produce are levied in order to indirectly discriminate against foreigners in some way.

I really don't think the relatively small number of expats buying imported food and cars etc caused a stir among those who set policy at the customs department. We really aren't that important so get over yourselves

Most of the population doesn't pay any tax. The government's gotta try to raise revenue in another ways. Well-to-do Thai people in Thailand buy imported food, cars, etc so it makes sense to hit 'em up with import duties. Of course it's not nice if Freddie Falang wants to import his favourite shoes, car, washing detergent or what-have-you but that's the way it is.

• Like 1

Things here are much cheaper than in Sydney.

Some of you guys really do not live in Thailand or just have no idea lol I mean some of the responses are funny, you expect Thai's or the importers to just lower there profits because its expensive for you?

Thailand is not more expensive then the UK or Australia, you must be living in a dreamworld if you think that.... lol

I agree.

I am originally from Denmark, cars made in Thailand are MUCH cheaper here than in DK.

A night out in Pattaya with the wife maybe 2-3000 bath (good food, not Thai and some beers afterwards).

A night out in DK alone: 4-5000 bath oh shit I forgot the taxi fare so lets say 6000.

Fuel for the car: DK 1 lit of petrol = 12kr ~ 60 bath.

I am not complaining about the prices here.

I just went to Pizza Hut and ordered the personal pizza for 250 baht. That is far more than I would ever spend back home for a pizza. I don't know why cheese is so expensive here. It's like a luxury item! Same with cars. Too expensive.

What makes these things so expensive here?

Don't know where your from, I took my family out for a pizza last night in Manchester, it was average £9 a pizza that's 450baht!

Thailand is much cheaper for eating out in well known franchises and quality restaurants.

Next time get it delivered, they always have great deals online.

Some of you guys really do not live in Thailand or just have no idea lol I mean some of the responses are funny, you expect Thai's or the importers to just lower there profits because its expensive for you?

Thailand is not more expensive then the UK or Australia, you must be living in a dreamworld if you think that.... lol

My friend in Adelaide just rang me today and we talked prices. Examples...a pint of beer $9 (270 baht), a kilo of tomatoes 300 baht, a sandwich from a deli 250 baht. I spend about 10,000 ($300) a month here, that includes all meat, fish, vegetables and fruit for two. Also includes our electric and water. No way I could live that well in Australia for that money.

• Like 1

Lucky I have a shipment of baked beans and wine arriving from Australia today then!!

Baked beans cant be so much cheaper that it warrants a shipment from australia?...you must really love those baked beans!

Bro, the ones I like are 45 baht in Australia and 120 baht in Thailand. I bought 60 cans which will last me for a year. Free freight and no tax. Bonus.

• Like 1

I tried to have this same discussion with my former employer. Salaries are low but costs are high. Even the gap in housing costs is fast disappearing. Tax is high, education costs are ridiculous.

The Thais are in stupid amounts of debt to pay for all of this so I guess in the end the banks are the winners.

After 2+ years I've had enough and am outta here....

BYE THEN....
  • Like 1

Actually I have zero intention of marrying anyone again ever for any reason, been there done that twice. I even have less intentions of supporting anyone's family at any time ever. I really don't care whether that is the way it has always been done here, it will not happen in my future, so that point is moot. Just in case, I am in my early 60s so a lot of that attitude is real life experience. As far as costs of women in Canada (my life experience) as opposed to here, it is easily comparable if not more expensive in Canada, to wit: A simple Friday night out with the GF – meet at the pub to hobnob with the regulars over a TGIF bevvy; $15.00 depending on your poison. Off to dinner to, let's say the local Thai restaurant (there were several good ones in my hometown) we order 4 different items at $7.50 each a $15.00 bottle of wine (not a wine fan so the GF used to order the cheap stuff) for a total $45.00 plus tip - $50.00. Then we walk to the movie theatre to catch the latest (over my protests) Jennifer Aniston flick, add munchies and drinks, approximately $50.00. After the movie we wander over to a different pub where many or our pals hangout. Two hours of laughs, a round bought for the GF's co-workers who drop by for a visit and we decide to call it a night, the tab comes to $70.00 including tip. Cab home $15.00. The total comes to $200.00 (6,000 baht). If you think you're getting any by asking her to split the tab you are definitely living in a dream world. Won't happen. Make this a special night that includes fine dinning and the theatre or a concert and you can easily bump the price to $300.00 plus (9,000 baht). Think about what you can do here on one night with 6,000 baht.

This is all a digression of course since the original post commented that the cost of items here is more expensive than “back home.” I totally disagree with that on almost all levels, there are exceptions, computer tech was mentioned. As someone said, it's a matter of choice(s) and I completely agree with that to an extent. For instance, you can live here in a 30,000 baht ($1,000.00)per month apartment and you will live very, very well. You can also live in a 6,000 baht ($200.00) apartment (in CM you can) and live comfortably. You can also live in a very small $1,000.00 per month apartment in one of the poorer areas of Toronto but, you cannot, in any stretch of the imagination find any accommodation in any area of Toronto for $200.00 per month, cable and internet costs that much. You can choose to got to a high end restaurant in CM and spend 1,500 baht on fine meal for two, you can also eat quality Thai food (I happen to like Thai food) for 200 baht for two. You cannot eat fine dinning for $45.00 in Canada and you cannot eat a cheap meal (out) for $6.00, can't be done. To say costs here are comparable in an all over expendables basket is an error. Just saying.

Seriously comparing Chiang mai with toronto? Maybe compare is with a midsized noname town in the middle of saskatchawan. You'll get the same value for your $ if not better down there.

<deleted> for 1000$ a month i can get a huge house 15mins away from montreal downtown. The house also wont be rundown thai style, wont be surrounded by garbage and rabbid dog or a metal shop open 24/7

Try finding a livable appartement for 6000baht downtown bangkok. By livable i dont mean backpacker standards. Id rather live in a homeless shelter in canada.

Your night out are insane. First you go see a movie on tuesdays or thursdays. half price. There's also the entertainement book that has coupons for Guzzo's. I buy it each year. There's thousands of coupons for all type of fastfood to fine dining restaurants, hotels and attractions. Brings the price down a LOT. And entertainement in thailand is priced the same as canada while it has 0 standards. (i live in phuket so let's say it has 2x less standards than the rest of thailand while being 50% more expensive)

A fine dining restaurant in montreal will cost you 40$~ each with Table D'hote. Pretty much the same price as in thailand. The "fine" dining places in thailand for 300b a plate are not fine dining. They're the same as the small family restaurants available for close to the same price everywhere in canada.

Large quality pubs and bars in canada will set you back 1-3$ on beers depending on the night, same price as thailand but without the skanks and sexpats.

Stop kidding yourself. You are in thailand for the women? Then just admit it to yourself and stop blabbering. I provide for 3 people and the only thing more costly in canada is rent which i dont mind since the quality of the build and neighborhood makes up for it. Cant put a price on having no garbage being burnt downtown and annoying people/animals in the street all night long.

+ Inter-canadian flights are much cheaper than air-asia flights.

+holidays to cuba/dominican republic for 300-700$ all included 4-5star hotels 1week? can't beat that. They dont scam and steal and murder you like in thailand down there as well.

Not according to my HP sauce. sad.png
  • Like 1