Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

Things here are much cheaper than in Sydney.

Some of you guys really do not live in Thailand or just have no idea lol I mean some of the responses are funny, you expect Thai's or the importers to just lower there profits because its expensive for you?

Thailand is not more expensive then the UK or Australia, you must be living in a dreamworld if you think that.... lol

Not according to my HP sauce. sad.png

No idea of the cost in the Uk, but the other week I bought 6 bottles of HP sauce for 60 baht per bottle.

This was at the local Tesco/Lotus.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things here are much cheaper than in Sydney.

Some of you guys really do not live in Thailand or just have no idea lol I mean some of the responses are funny, you expect Thai's or the importers to just lower there profits because its expensive for you?

Thailand is not more expensive then the UK or Australia, you must be living in a dreamworld if you think that.... lol

Not according to my HP sauce. sad.png

No idea of the cost in the Uk, but the other week I bought 6 bottles of HP sauce for 60 baht per bottle.

This was at the local Tesco/Lotus.

Ubon Tesco, 135 bht per bottle. Scandalous. Thats about 3 UKP, UK, around 1UKP

And why are food/grocery products from Aus priced up to 10 times the Au price when there is a free trade agreement in place?

My answer is simply price gouging by the major retailers who perceive these products will only be purchased by "rich farang".

An example I had a friend bring a 1kg box of dishwasher detergent powder over yesterday, he paid $1.10 and a 500gm here is 480Bht, or $15.50 for half the size pack. That is a 2,750% increase, hardly justified, more blatant thievery.

It may be some price gouging - I don't know. However, Thailand puts heavy tariffs on imports greatly increasing the costs to its people.

why have a rational post when an anti-farang conspiracy theory will do?

Always fun too reading the verbal contortions from posters try and define themselves as anything other than a 'migrant' or an 'immigrant'. God forbid they be classed as the same riff raff back 'home'.

it has nothing to do with class, it has to do with government regulations and rights afforded to immigrants. the farang population in thailand are very clearly not immigrants, they are tourists with a sprinkling of businessman, they are not an immigrant population.

• Like 1

I don't know. Thailand is looking more expensive to me all the time, if I compare it to very rural US and not to New York City or similar. I wonder if people are looking at the big picture.

In very rural US, I can buy a home for $75,000 and I'd own the land. Sure, it would be 50 years old, have 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, but it would have clean and safe water to it, cable internet and TV, sanitary sewer, and no rats running around. People are nice in rural areas.

I can buy and own a car and a bike a hill of a lot cheaper. If I eat Western food it's a lot cheaper as are sundries like toilet paper, soap, and other necessities. Used cars are really cheap. Everyone wants a new one.

I don't have to beg the US to let me stay here, or continously have to renew that right. I don't have to wonder if the rules will change.

My full coverage health insurance for those over 65 is only $125 a month, subsidized of course by Medicare.

I can buy a new Glock handgun for $450 and I have a right to carry it. And I do. I have a license to own fully automatic assault rifles and I do.

I swear that almost everything else is cheaper except for the street food. I just bought 60 pounds of roast beef and top sirloin steaks on sale for $US2.49 a pound, or $US150 (5,000 BHT)

I dunno guys...

• Like 1

why have a rational post when an anti-farang conspiracy theory will do?

Always fun too reading the verbal contortions from posters try and define themselves as anything other than a 'migrant' or an 'immigrant'. God forbid they be classed as the same riff raff back 'home'.

it has nothing to do with class, it has to do with government regulations and rights afforded to immigrants. the farang population in thailand are very clearly not immigrants, they are tourists with a sprinkling of businessman, they are not an immigrant population.

That's a whole different topic..... Start a thread on it, it should turn into a good punch-up debate!

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

I don't know. Thailand is looking more expensive to me all the time, if I compare it to very rural US and not to New York City or similar. I wonder if people are looking at the big picture.

In very rural US, I can buy a home for $75,000 and I'd own the land. Sure, it would be 50 years old, have 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, but it would have clean and safe water to it, cable internet and TV, sanitary sewer, and no rats running around. People are nice in rural areas.

I can buy and own a car and a bike a hill of a lot cheaper. If I eat Western food it's a lot cheaper as are sundries like toilet paper, soap, and other necessities. Used cars are really cheap. Everyone wants a new one.

I don't have to beg the US to let me stay here, or continously have to renew that right. I don't have to wonder if the rules will change.

My full coverage health insurance for those over 65 is only $125 a month, subsidized of course by Medicare.

I can buy a new Glock handgun for $450 and I have a right to carry it. And I do. I have a license to own fully automatic assault rifles and I do.

I swear that almost everything else is cheaper except for the street food. I just bought 60 pounds of roast beef and top sirloin steaks on sale for $US2.49 a pound, or $US150 (5,000 BHT)

I dunno guys...

60 pound of sirloin steak w00t.gif im alittle tired of stewed buffalo here

I dunno guys...

60 pound of sirloin steak w00t.gif im alittle tired of stewed buffalo here

LOL. Yes, and I'm also assured it was USDA inspected, fresh, clean, safe, refrigerated, and that the market is inspected by the health dept.

I dunno guys...

You don't need to live in a rural town. Any of the smaller cities, such as Phoenix, Las Vegas, all have good conveniences and many newly built homes for $75000 or less even. However Thailand does have an advantage in insurance and health care costs. But if you qualify for any state subsidized health care benefits (unfortunately I don't) than this may not be a factor.

I just went to Pizza Hut and ordered the personal pizza for 250 baht. That is far more than I would ever spend back home for a pizza. I don't know why cheese is so expensive here. It's like a luxury item! Same with cars. Too expensive.

What makes these things so expensive here?

Ordering online gets you two medium 'Soft Hit' pizzas for 298baht, 30b delivery charge and reward points which give you money off the next order.

I just went to Pizza Hut and ordered the personal pizza for 250 baht. That is far more than I would ever spend back home for a pizza. I don't know why cheese is so expensive here. It's like a luxury item! Same with cars. Too expensive.

What makes these things so expensive here?

Ordering online gets you two medium 'Soft Hit' pizzas for 298baht, 30b delivery charge and reward points which give you money off the next order.

real-pizza.jpg

vs

patong-18.jpg

sad.pngsad.pngsad.pngsad.pngblink.pngbah.gifsick.gif

answer to the reversed question: in my home country the 46.5% (soon it will be more) income tax are much more expensive than the zero tax i pay in Thailand. in other words, a 1,000 Baht bottle of wine is 535 Baht thumbsup.gif which is still freaking expensive when quality is taken into consideration bah.gif

summary: down Thailand's racist wine prices! laugh.png

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

100% of everything except rent/mortgage and cellphone minutes

There is not an item cheaper than comparable quality in canada.

You must live in a different Canada mate

Gasoline

Fruit,Vegetables.meat,fish,rice etc

Warm weather clothing

Ladies clothing

Medicine ( Generic paracetamol is about 30 baht for 100..Canada ( e.g. Shoppers Drug Mart) about 10 bucks?.

Utilities

Some Appliances

Telephones+calling rates

beer, cigarettes

taxis,bus fares

etc etc are far less expensive in Thailand

Agreed many imported items and western styled products and services are more expensive ( based on target market methinks) ...you pays your money and takes your choice.

Oh! how I long for a Dairy Queen burger and fries and a large coffee....tongue.png

Things like imported wine and liquor are more expensive but 2-500 baht premium is not a deal breaker depending on your lifestyle..less than a day's parking in downtown Vancouver or Melbourne...lol

Rent, the 6,000 baht variety, not the 20-30,000 baht falang type.

Lunch, the 30 to 40 baht variety, not the 400 baht falang type.

Market food, the ta-lat government controlled variety, not the Tops falang type ie: dried fruit at Tops 40 baht for 100 grams; ta-lat 100 baht for 500 grams. Boneless pork at Tops 220 baht per kilo; ta-lat 130 baht per kilo. Etc. (learn some Thai and negotiate ra-kha)

Local transportation: Songthaew 20 baht anywhere (in CM), one subway token in Toronto $3.00 (900 baht!)

You want to live like a farang in Thailand - they'll be happy to take your money. You want to live like a Thai in Thailand, it becomes one of the cheapest places in the world to live. I live well here on a crappy Canadian pension, I wouldn't even be able to pay rent on a 2 room apartment in Toronto let alone eat.

5555....Alors c'est vrai.....moi aussi.. ........Toronto .....quite nice in summer but would never want to live there even IF I could afford it.

I find we can live/eat sort of like a westerner on the above pensions and the wife's labours plus home growns....lol ..

.....ever seen the price of mangosteens,kaffir lime leafs (dried) or mangoes etc in China town Toronto Or Vancouver???? ...

Thai restaurant ( Vancouver) chicken curry (terrible) or Pad Thai ( equally terrible)....12+ fricking dollars!!!! SIL in law in Germany has the wife sending Thai makings care packages by sea mail......lol

In the village its dirt cheap for everything I can think of. Bowl of soup is 25baht, beer is around 350baht a case.

City life is expensive like Bangkok etc.

I notice some of the posts mention asian food and asian ingredients expensive in their home countries. In Australia we are lucky as theres a big asian community here and they have got all the foods sorted and easily found and fair prices. My wife makes som tum here regularly even with that awful badek stuff.

Edited by krisb

Actually I have zero intention of marrying anyone again ever for any reason, been there done that twice. I even have less intentions of supporting anyone's family at any time ever. I really don't care whether that is the way it has always been done here, it will not happen in my future, so that point is moot. Just in case, I am in my early 60s so a lot of that attitude is real life experience. As far as costs of women in Canada (my life experience) as opposed to here, it is easily comparable if not more expensive in Canada, to wit: A simple Friday night out with the GF – meet at the pub to hobnob with the regulars over a TGIF bevvy; $15.00 depending on your poison. Off to dinner to, let's say the local Thai restaurant (there were several good ones in my hometown) we order 4 different items at $7.50 each a $15.00 bottle of wine (not a wine fan so the GF used to order the cheap stuff) for a total $45.00 plus tip - $50.00. Then we walk to the movie theatre to catch the latest (over my protests) Jennifer Aniston flick, add munchies and drinks, approximately $50.00. After the movie we wander over to a different pub where many or our pals hangout. Two hours of laughs, a round bought for the GF's co-workers who drop by for a visit and we decide to call it a night, the tab comes to $70.00 including tip. Cab home $15.00. The total comes to $200.00 (6,000 baht). If you think you're getting any by asking her to split the tab you are definitely living in a dream world. Won't happen. Make this a special night that includes fine dinning and the theatre or a concert and you can easily bump the price to $300.00 plus (9,000 baht). Think about what you can do here on one night with 6,000 baht.

This is all a digression of course since the original post commented that the cost of items here is more expensive than “back home.” I totally disagree with that on almost all levels, there are exceptions, computer tech was mentioned. As someone said, it's a matter of choice(s) and I completely agree with that to an extent. For instance, you can live here in a 30,000 baht ($1,000.00)per month apartment and you will live very, very well. You can also live in a 6,000 baht ($200.00) apartment (in CM you can) and live comfortably. You can also live in a very small $1,000.00 per month apartment in one of the poorer areas of Toronto but, you cannot, in any stretch of the imagination find any accommodation in any area of Toronto for $200.00 per month, cable and internet costs that much. You can choose to got to a high end restaurant in CM and spend 1,500 baht on fine meal for two, you can also eat quality Thai food (I happen to like Thai food) for 200 baht for two. You cannot eat fine dinning for $45.00 in Canada and you cannot eat a cheap meal (out) for $6.00, can't be done. To say costs here are comparable in an all over expendables basket is an error. Just saying.

Seriously comparing Chiang mai with toronto? Maybe compare is with a midsized noname town in the middle of saskatchawan. You'll get the same value for your $ if not better down there.

<deleted> for 1000$ a month i can get a huge house 15mins away from montreal downtown. The house also wont be rundown thai style, wont be surrounded by garbage and rabbid dog or a metal shop open 24/7

Try finding a livable appartement for 6000baht downtown bangkok. By livable i dont mean backpacker standards. Id rather live in a homeless shelter in canada.

Your night out are insane. First you go see a movie on tuesdays or thursdays. half price. There's also the entertainement book that has coupons for Guzzo's. I buy it each year. There's thousands of coupons for all type of fastfood to fine dining restaurants, hotels and attractions. Brings the price down a LOT. And entertainement in thailand is priced the same as canada while it has 0 standards. (i live in phuket so let's say it has 2x less standards than the rest of thailand while being 50% more expensive)

A fine dining restaurant in montreal will cost you 40$~ each with Table D'hote. Pretty much the same price as in thailand. The "fine" dining places in thailand for 300b a plate are not fine dining. They're the same as the small family restaurants available for close to the same price everywhere in canada.

Large quality pubs and bars in canada will set you back 1-3$ on beers depending on the night, same price as thailand but without the skanks and sexpats.

Stop kidding yourself. You are in thailand for the women? Then just admit it to yourself and stop blabbering. I provide for 3 people and the only thing more costly in canada is rent which i dont mind since the quality of the build and neighborhood makes up for it. Cant put a price on having no garbage being burnt downtown and annoying people/animals in the street all night long.

+ Inter-canadian flights are much cheaper than air-asia flights.

+holidays to cuba/dominican republic for 300-700$ all included 4-5star hotels 1week? can't beat that. They dont scam and steal and murder you like in thailand down there as well.

Stop kidding yourself. The average price of a house in Canada is 15 million baht. I live in a nice new house in Thailand that my wife (the bank) paid 3 million baht for. Not all of us are God like people who take it upon themselves to judge other people as skanks or sexpats. I am not part of the Spanish Inquisition and never felt the necessity to tell others how to conduct their sex lives. I don't drink or smoke and am a world class chef so the food is not much of a problem for me.biggrin.png

answer to the reversed question: in my home country the 46.5% (soon it will be more) income tax are much more expensive than the zero tax i pay in Thailand. in other words, a 1,000 Baht bottle of wine is 535 Baht thumbsup.gif which is still freaking expensive when quality is taken into consideration bah.gif

summary: down Thailand's racist wine prices! laugh.png

dont you make 500b per half a minute even when retired?

i doubt a world class chef would need to find a woman that doesnt speak any common tongue with him to be able to get married.

a 3million baht house in thailand will often be large but the 8-10million missing will be felt in shitty quality and shitty neighborhood.

<p>As always, it's horses for courses.

I'm only able to compare UK and Thailand prices, but renting a house in Thailand is far cheaper than renting in the UK, so - local fruit and veg are far cheaper, chicken and pork are far cheaper too. Plus, no council tax.

IMO, the true basics - housing and food are far cheaper in Thailand (as long as you don't expect the same food). Not sure whether elec is more expensive or not and if you want Western food, it is far more expensive.

'Buying' land is cheaper (outside the popular areas), as is house construction costs for a basic house. But the house is likely to be sub-standard (compared to the UK).

Edited by F1fanatic

Thailand is so much cheaper for food than the UK! 10B for a packet of crisps , 50b to eat out! The UK is 35B for crisps and hundreds for eating out!

Sent from my GT-P3100

I'm missing out! Where I live, a pack of crisps is 20 bht (for the smallest pack) and 30 bht for a pack that is not much bigger.

Eating out (as long as its not Western food), I agree. There are places where you can get a meal for 30 bht.

Obviously, they're simple chicken/pork plus rice type meals - and they mainly cater to Thais which is why they are such good value. But yes, far cheaper than trying to eat out in the UK.

Anyone reading this in Sydney or Melbourne? Wander in to a 7-11 and let us know the price of a can of Coke or what the price in plastic bottles is now...

A few of us do not base our cost analysis on cans of coke. Which is why I posted my 'take' on rent/land/food etc.

What I spend renting a duplex in Asoke, taking taxis everywhere, eating Western food regularly, 50Mb DOCSIS, full laundry service, Truevisions cable, a THB4-5500 electricity bill and drinking in some of the more upmarket bars and clubs around the Sukhumvit expat ghetto comes to less than the rent on a decent apartment in West London.

And I still get to put a little by for a rainy day.

Frankly, if you're struggling in Thailand, there are several notches below the typical expat lifestyle that can accommodate you. Baht buses, THB5,000/month apartments, street food, THB599/month ADSL, coin-op laundry and Leo beer on the beer booths. Very, very few foreigners can legitimately bitch about the cost of living here. Of course, I accept that if one has retired here and has to scrimp and scrape to get by, it can't be pleasant but hey, at least the weather's hot and the totty available to you is better than the West. smile.png

• Like 1