Avocados -- Does It Get Any Better?

tinfoilhat

Just sitting down to a sandwich composed of a crusty bun, leftover chicken fajita, sour cream, hot salsa(just a splash) and avocado, lettuce tomato

now, dont get me wrong, i am not in the habit of posting every time i have a meal face book style, but it occurred to me there might be some good ideas out there.

i love avocado and eat one pretty much every day.

im also a sucker for crisp bread with avocado, buffalo mozzarella a pinch of sea salt and ground pepper with olive oil and a little balsamic.

or a rudimentary guac, scooped up with a fresh pretzel

or just plain with sea salt.

or in a BLT with crisp non-english bacon.

how do you like em?

Does anyone know of where to get Thai avocados in Pattaya?

They are seasonal. Sometimes:

Central Food Mall

The Royal Projects store across from Central Mall

Foodland

There are different varieties of Thai ones as well. Some better than others. I've had very mixed results. I typically end up throwing out about half of the Thai cados I buy. They ripen already rotten or just too watery to eat, etc.

The last and only ones I tried in Thailand didn't taste close to the ones from Mexico or South America. Didn't even make a passable guacomole. They looked like Haas, but that was about it.

Yeah there are many, many varieties of cados and some that look like Haas are not like Haas. One popular Thai type is similar to what Americans know as Florida cados. Less rich, more watery, BIGGER, and actually healthier, but not really so tasty. That said I've had some very yummy Thai cados, luck of the pick really, but not the Florida type which have a limit on how delicious they are even good specimens. Edited by Jingthing

Linguine with Avocado and Arugula Pesto

This recipe took me by surprise but it was really good, I think the heat from the pasta help release the avocado oil. I used Thai basil and it added a much deeper flavour with the lime. I'm always weary of garlic not having the kick so I added an entire bulb of roasted garlic.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/linguine-with-avocado-and-arugula-pesto-recipe/index.html

Yeah I definitely use cado in pesto pasta preparations. That's classic.

Other uses for me: side portion to curried ginger fried noodles

on a baguette with chicken or tuna salad

side portion to my variety meat/veg egg foo yung over cold rice noodles fusion dish

Edited by Jingthing

Linguine with Avocado and Arugula Pesto

This recipe took me by surprise but it was really good, I think the heat from the pasta help release the avocado oil. I used Thai basil and it added a much deeper flavour with the lime. I'm always weary of garlic not having the kick so I added an entire bulb of roasted garlic.

http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

ok, sunday night for dinner when the kid gets back from her moms. Im liking this thread, especially since, as i said villa has avocados going fo 49 baht a pop, its rude not to.

And everything is easy to source.

You should be living in Chile. They put avocado on everything. A glut in the market? A national program to use up them avocados? Whatever, Chile is the place for avocados.

(goes good with the wines from Argentina. Chile is ok for wine, but Argentina is better - and darn cheap!)

Salad:

Tuna, tomatoes cut in quarters, avocado

Olive oil, some lime and a teeny tiny bit of salt

Easy, quick, healthy and ohhh soooo yummy!!

If you don't like lime, replace with a touch of balsamic vinegar would work ok too. But my preference is with lime. Mmmm

Avocados are kind of a luxury item here because usually you have to buy imported. I won't pay more than 60 baht for one Haas but still usually have some in the house most of the year. They are somewhat tricky to have them ripe when you want to use them. When they do ripen you can then put in the fridge but within some days they'll get too soft/rotten in there.

Y'all remember the eating avocado (plain) in a prison scene from Kiss of the Spider Woman?

INT. CELL - DAY

Molina prepares an avocado and offers some to Valentin.

MOLINA

Have some. It's delicious.

VALENTIN

No thanks.

MOLINA

What's wrong -- you don't like

it?

VALENTIN

Sure I like it, but no thanks.

MOLINA

Well, then go ahead and have

some. It's a long time till

lunch.

VALENTIN

Can't afford to get spoiled.

MOLINA

Do you really think eating this

avocado will make you spoiled

and weak? Enjoy what life offers

you.

VALENTIN

What life offers me is the

struggle. When you're

dedicated to that, pleasure

becomes secondary.

MOLINA

Does your girl friend think

the same thing?

VALENTIN

(suspicious)

How do you know I have a girl?

MOLINA

It's the normal thing. Does

she avoid pleasure too?

VALENTIN

She knows what really counts.

That the most important thing

is serving a cause that is

noble.

MOLINA

What kind of cause is that?

One that doesn't let you eat

an avocado?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Health-wise, avocados anything doesn't get any better. One of the superfoods.

Dose anyone know if they are in season in Chiang Mai? The only ones I've seen on the markets look a bit sad and sorry for themselves.

I have a small Hass avocado farm in San Diego with Zutano "B" type for pollination that ripened in the winter. It was awesome... I had avocados pretty much every day for 6 months out of the year. They are good for healthy eating as well. thumbsup.gif

-My ex-wife made a killer guacamole that in indulged in whenever it was available. After that, they always went into my salads, sandwiches, burritos/tacos or just by themselves with a bit of salt and paprika.

-I would go the regional avocado festival every year and got a recipe for an avocado milkshake there. Just add them into the blender along with some vanilla ice cream, milk and sugar to taste. Yummy!

Edited by SoCalChris

Health-wise, avocados anything doesn't get any better. One of the superfoods.

Dose anyone know if they are in season in Chiang Mai? The only ones I've seen on the markets look a bit sad and sorry for themselves.

Yes, they are. Most are edible, but not nearly as good as back home. I was eating them often for a while, but got bored because of the lack of flavor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen 'cados in so many places that I get confused; in supermarkets in california, in 'palta' salads in Chile and down the Hang Bey market in Hanoi...

a purple avocado that barely yielded to a touch got me goin' in Ha Tinh province in north central Vietnam...later, in my hotel room the outrageously sexy cleaning girl nicely sliced and presented it and we indulged...both of us fully clothed...

Edited by tutsiwarrior