What Are The Most Dangerous Animals In Thailand?

Cheesekraft

What animals should we be cautious of in Thailand? I think mosquitos might present the most danger, but what about others? Scorpions, buffalos, snakes, spiders, anything to be cautious of? I saw a gigantic spider that was definitely a skulltula from Zelda, wish I had some photos of that. A big black scorpion just turned up outside, drowned in a pool of water, with some fish eating the part of it hanging over the edge. Geckos look pretty scary, I saw one as large as a cat.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This country has many dangerous creatures ranging from moskitoes to murderous wives and business partners.

However, the most dangerous thing to your personal safety is yourself.

If you plunge into the ocean, or even your hotel pool, when you can't swim you may kill yourself.

If you drunkenly sit on the edge of your sky high hotel balcony you may topple off and kill yourself.

If you get on a motor bike and drive at high speed when unskilled, drunk or helmetless you may kill yourself.

If you get into a drunken fight with a local (over a $2 taxi fare or similar) you may kill yourself.

If you think this is a great place to smuggle, deal or even just use, hard drugs you may kill yourself.

If you think you are the smartest businessman/property dealer around and decide to rip people off you may kill yourself.

If you think you're the toughest guy at the local dojo and bring your attitude to the pub you may kill yourself.

If you really believe the cute, 20 year old bargirl wants you for something other than money, it may end up very bad for you.

• Like 1

Geckos look pretty scary, I saw one as large as a cat.

I'm pretty sure that geckos don't grow as big as a full grown cat.

Maybe a water monitor lizard. Saw one of them about 1.5 metres long once.

I suppose it depends how you define "most dangerous"

As all ready posted, mozzies probably cause most deaths and sickness.

I guess the tiger could qualify, if there are any left in the wild. Same goes for male elephants when they are keen to mate.

it is actually mosquitoes

I was surprised to hear theres more than 1 variety and only 1 variety carries malaria.

im not too sure what do you mean by variety but if you are trying to say only 1 species of mosquitoes could spread malaria, you are wrong. awfully.

Ades Mosquito a daytime active species, spreads Dengue fever.

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

Geckos look pretty scary, I saw one as large as a cat.

I'm pretty sure that geckos don't grow as big as a full grown cat.

Maybe a water monitor lizard. Saw one of them about 1.5 metres long once.

I suppose it depends how you define "most dangerous"

As all ready posted, mozzies probably cause most deaths and sickness.

I guess the tiger could qualify, if there are any left in the wild. Same goes for male elephants when they are keen to mate.

Tukaw geckos that make the noise by which they are named grow up to a foot or more in length.They are blue with red spots and are known as the pit-bulls of geckos!w00t.gif

From what I've heard if one bites you to get it to release its grip you have to hold them underwater,they then let go to breath!In the Philippines they sell for up to 3 million pesos as the Chinese buy them,probably for fighting.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Tokay_gecko

Edited by Vale Tudo
  • Like 1

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

I would love to know more about this 1.4m long thing, never heard of it.

Sounds scary.

I was surprised to hear theres more than 1 variety and only 1 variety carries malaria.

im not too sure what do you mean by variety but if you are trying to say only 1 species of mosquitoes could spread malaria, you are wrong. awfully.

Stand corrected. Theres 460 varieties and only 100 carry malaria.

Stand corrected. Theres 460 varieties and only 100 carry malaria.

World health Organisation may beg to differ in the number of malarial mosquito species http://www.who.int/features/qa/10/en/index.html

World health Organisation may beg to differ in the number of malarial mosquito species http://www.who.int/f...0/en/index.html

i think he is right. the link doesn't show the number of species that could carry malaria. over 100 species are malaria carrier but only a portion of it actually transmit the malaria that occurs in human

I would love to know more about this 1.4m long thing, never heard of it.

Sounds scary.

Also no idea of name, so call it a fast moving snake with legs, very like this

post-42643-0-56479700-1349956237_thumb.j

Edited by ignis
  • Like 2

Suit sellers are capable of sizing up a victim from around fifty metres and have been known to continue nipping at the heels of said victim if the initial pounce from the sidewalk was unsuccessful. Should be given a wide berth at all times.