Is The Personal Computer Dead?

guzzi850m2

why would you want to watch a movie from a desktop when a dedicated media player like the wdtv live or a laptop would allow you to watch in comfort on a TV?

I've got the HTPC box for this, it's a desktop. Connected with HDMI to a 52" and S/PDIF to a surround system, I've added a Hauppauge TV tuner and IR remote as well. It sits on it's place and never moves and as it runs Linux, I'm able to do Skype video conferencing using the TV as monitor as well.

WD LIve, Live Hub and the other media servers beat the pants of a PC connected to a TV.

I have both, but always play video from the WD Live Hub.

I've played with HTPCs for years ..... never entirely satisfactory.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you want to watch a movie from a desktop when a dedicated media player like the wdtv live or a laptop would allow you to watch in comfort on a TV?

I've got the HTPC box for this, it's a desktop. Connected with HDMI to a 52" and S/PDIF to a surround system, I've added a Hauppauge TV tuner and IR remote as well. It sits on it's place and never moves and as it runs Linux, I'm able to do Skype video conferencing using the TV as monitor as well.

WD LIve, Live Hub and the other media servers beat the pants of a PC connected to a TV.

I have both, but always play video from the WD Live Hub.

I've played with HTPCs for years ..... never entirely satisfactory.

agreed

yer preaching to the choir sir, i just cant conceive of why anyone would want to watch a movie at their desk off of a computer screen

You obviously don't have kids. I do and I let him watch 1 hour cartoons before bedtime. He is to small to sit upstairs alone in one of the bedrooms and prefer to be close to his parents so my 22" HD Samsung desk-top screen is very handy for me.

i do have a kid and she is happy watching off a netbook ipod or even iphone. Or even my laptop.

The desktop with its 2 24 inch monitors is purely for graphics or other work.

though she does ask to watch off the "big tv" with the "good sound", especially if it is a new high end animation she has never seen. Then we watch together.