Is Thai Television Getting Worse ?

Ricardo

Looking at Thai television a few years ago, all the piss-poor soap-operas and comedy-programs with 7 comedians passing a single microphone back & forth, I would have said that it simply couldn't get any worse. :D

Well Hush Ma Mouf ! :D

You never see any bad comedy now, game-shows have taken over, and farang 'culture' (aka Big Brother House) has been imported. News & documentaries are IMHO on the retreat. And the idea of a consumer-rights programme never even made it off the drawing-board.

Of course this might just be that, having passed the magic-50, my memory and judgement are going. :o

Then I turned-on one afternoon, to see a music-show complete with the usual dancing-girls posturing away, and every one of the 'performers' was just a little kiddy of 7 or 8.

Now I know there is a culture-barrier here, I try to understand (if not always appreciate) it, but the kiddy-pop was the final straw, for this particular farang camel !

So, am I alone, or are there other grumpy old television-viewers out there ? :D

You never see any bad comedy now, game-shows have taken over, and farang 'culture' aka Big Brother House) has been imported. News & documentaries are IMHO on the retreat.
And the idea of a consumer-rights programme never even made it off the drawing-board

That'd be consumer-rights program of the type that started in Farang Land would it?!

Farang Culture... its a whole pick'n mix, gets confusing sometimes.

Looking at Thai television a few years ago, all the piss-poor soap-operas and comedy-programs with 7 comedians passing a single microphone back & forth, I would have said that it simply couldn't get any worse. :D

You never see any bad comedy now, game-shows have taken over, and farang 'culture' (aka Big Brother House) has been imported. News & documentaries are IMHO on the retreat. And the idea of a consumer-rights programme never even made it off the drawing-board.

Of course this might just be that, having passed the magic-50, my memory and judgement are going. :o

Then I turned-on one afternoon, to see a music-show complete with the usual dancing-girls posturing away, and every one of the 'performers' was just a little kiddy of 7 or 8.

Now I know there is a culture-barrier here, I try to understand (if not always appreciate) it, but the kiddy-pop was the final straw, for this particular farang camel !

:D

Getting worse!!! I didn't think that was possible. Some years ago I was watching a Thai Chinese story. In one scene there was a battle in which (it appeared) at least a dozen extras were killed off. After that a lengthy battle was fought by the two "Heros". While they were fighting, the "dead extras" were clearly seen sitting at the edge of the stage, talking to each other, and smoking a quick cigerette.

I have also seen a play, in which the female actress had clearly forgotten her lines, was seen being prompted from the wings by a stagehand. She listened to what he said, then repeated the lines for the camera with appropriate gestures.

Love Thai televison....

:D

Interesting you think that!

Personally speaking, i would say the opposite - it has actually got better!

Thai Soap Operas - well the scripts and standards of acting have never gotten any better, so i would agree - no improvement in that field of entertainment!

Comedy Programs - caucasians and Thais have a very different sense of 'humour'. Thais just love their slap-stick comedy of over-endowed ladyboys, lip-sticked policewomen and a shockingly gruesome Isarn maid who can't even speak Thai properly.

But it is unfair to say they are 'pish-poor'. In the eyes of a Thai, half the so-called Farang comedy programs are also 'pish-poor and not funny whatsoever! Humour is like beauty, what seems 'beautiful or pish-poor to you' may be opposite to what most of the local population of Thailand think.

Game Shows? Thailand has always had its game shows, no change there.

I wouldnt agree that news and documentaries are on a retreat. In fact it is the opposite.

'ITV channel' has emerged as Thailand's third most viewed channel in the space of two years. Since the upsurge of 'ITV' Thais are watching more news and documentaries than ever before! and that is a proven fact.

Thai TV as a whole is also showing much more historical documentaries that before.

There are a few excellent weekly chat shows going into to all the uneasy political sensitivities. This is positive, i cant remember Thailand having talk-shows 'so heavy' as this in the past.

Besides ITV, Channel 9 also has some very entertaining/interesting programs on, late in the evening

Please - 7-8 year-old girls/boys prancing around singing and dancing in cute little uniforms is part of Thai tradition. Go to any school, temple, music fair and you will see loadsa of shows put on by youngsters.

I think you are just getting a bit grumpy. Otherwise you must be quite a newbie to Thai TV.

See a Thai Soap Opera on, well turn the channel over!

Steve

There are less 'ghost' soaps on now that before. They even have a good English speaking news program on Channel 11 mid week.

I like the 'poo ying' program on in the mornings, with those 4 ladies. one is a pain in the arse, one must have been good-looking once, one is sexy, and one is very proper and polite.

I'd say the quiz shows are better.

Wouldn't it have to get better before it can get worse? The only time I watch TV is to see a rented DVD movie. The way it's going they'll soon need less actors/actresses and scenery to accomodate all the bl**dy adverts, that's another reason I don't bother with it. I'm just thankful there's no TV licence here....yet.

Yes its true from what I see, make is as low quality as possible and its the right thing for most Thais.

They really go for and even pay for the worse of the worse as far as I can tell in 8 years of being here.

They took and take the worst from the West and dont even know about the rest.

They eat it up just like a pig likes to eat you know what. Sad but oh so true.

TV in Thailand? Why would anyone with brains bother?

Yes its true from what I see, make is as low quality as possible and its the right thing for most Thais.

They really go for and even pay for the worse of the worse as far as I can tell in 8 years of being here.

Typical!

From reading that comment i can only guess that you haven't watched that much Thai TV.

Let's speak the truth, now just how many negative comments posted here about Thai TV were written by foreigners who seldom watch Thai TV. And even if they did, actually understand the language! Come on......

Reminds me of foreigners (cant read Thai) who bicker and complain about Thai newspapers along the lines of......'All they do is write about murders'. Of course these naff witers, werent able to understand the actual 'other' news inside. They had looked at the pics on the front.

I use that as a good example in comparison to what some of the postees here have written about Thai TV. I already wrote that Thai TV plays lots more documentaries/historical progs and political chat shows these days etc.... But then some bickering members just go back to the same old stuff of lambasting Thai Soap Operas and Thai TV as a whole.

QUOTE> "They (Thai people) eat it up just like a pig likes to eat you know what"

After 8 years in Thailand you ought to know that a comment like that about Thai people is

>Pretty offensive!

Now, these are the kind of comments moderators ought to be watching out for. If a reader posts a comment like that about expats in Thailand he would be torn to shreds. Be careful moderators of double standards.

There are less 'ghost' soaps on now that before.

The Ghost soaps were often hilarious. Susan Khon Bpen, or the one with the detached head. Now that was entertainment. They just don't seem to be making programs like that anymore.

Who remembers when TV stopped at 9pm ?

Over the long span I think things are actually improving. Anyway look how bad TV is in the UK.

You're an old fart :o ชิชาสาวน้อยมหัศจรรย์ with Paula Taylor last year was funny. Reality TV isn't originally Western anyway; it is from Japan. Heaven forbid Thais wanting to be a part of the global community.

There are less 'ghost' soaps on now that before.

The Ghost soaps were often hilarious. Susan Khon Bpen, or the one with the detached head. Now that was entertainment. They just don't seem to be making programs like that anymore.

Who remembers when TV stopped at 9pm ?

Over the long span I think things are actually improving. Anyway look how bad TV is in the UK.

7-8 years ago I remember seeing a thai tv comedy that had a ladyboy dressing like a super hero saving bar girls from evil doers. I believe (or I was in disbelief) the shows title was " Iron Pus*y" Actually was pretty funny farce full of slapstick.

Typical!

From reading that comment i can only guess that you haven't watched that much Thai TV.

Let's speak the truth, now just how many negative comments posted here about Thai TV were written by foreigners who seldom watch Thai TV. And even if they did, actually understand the language! Come on......

Reminds me of foreigners (cant read Thai) who bicker and complain about Thai newspapers along the lines of......'All they do is write about murders'. Of course these naff witers, werent able to understand the actual 'other' news inside. They had looked at the pics on the front.

I use that as a good example in comparison to what some of the postees here have written about Thai TV. I already wrote that Thai TV plays lots more documentaries/historical progs and political chat shows these days etc.... But then some bickering members just go back to the same old stuff of lambasting Thai Soap Operas and Thai TV as a whole.

QUOTE> "They (Thai people) eat it up just like a pig likes to eat you know what"

After 8 years in Thailand you ought to know that a comment like that about Thai people is

>Pretty offensive!

Now, these are the kind of comments moderators ought to be watching out for. If a reader posts a comment like that about expats in Thailand he would be torn to shreds. Be careful moderators of double standards.

:o

Interesting you think that!

Personally speaking, i would say the opposite - it has actually got better!

Some shows on Thai TV are interesting to watch, but most of it is still boring and not up to standard.

Thai Soap Operas - well the scripts and standards of acting have never gotten any better, so i would agree - no improvement in that field of entertainment!

The acting is okay, but the scripts are pretty much the same old stuff. The interesting thing is that these shows are just like real Thai life in a way except for the those sexy actresses playing the the shy and uninterested in having sex even though we are marriaged act.

Comedy Programs - caucasians and Thais have a very different sense of 'humour'. Thais just love their slap-stick comedy of over-endowed ladyboys, lip-sticked policewomen and a shockingly gruesome Isarn maid who can't even speak Thai properly.

Western Comedies are more diverse not same the same old boring jokes as you see in Thai comedies.

But it is unfair to say they are 'pish-poor'. In the eyes of a Thai, half the so-called Farang comedy programs are also 'pish-poor and not funny whatsoever! Humour is like beauty, what seems 'beautiful or pish-poor to you' may be opposite to what most of the local population of Thailand think.

When you are not willing to divesify the Thai TV shows and just want to show the same old stuff all the time, this is boring. Thais' do not understand Farang humor, but Farangs can understand Thai humor beause it is the same and does not change.

Game Shows? Thailand has always had its game shows, no change there.

I wouldnt agree that news and documentaries are on a retreat. In fact it is the opposite.

I would agree with this. Thai TV has been showing more educational documentaries.

'ITV channel' has emerged as Thailand's third most viewed channel in the space of two years. Since the upsurge of 'ITV' Thais are watching more news and documentaries than ever before! and that is a proven fact.

That may be true, but they don't seem to follow what they learn from the Educational Shows, they still continue to follow Thai Culture.

Thai TV as a whole is also showing much more historical documentaries that before.

There are a few excellent weekly chat shows going into to all the uneasy political sensitivities. This is positive, i cant remember Thailand having talk-shows 'so heavy' as this in the past.

Besides ITV, Channel 9 also has some very entertaining/interesting programs on, late in the evening

Yes, That is true, but they still continue to have one-sided view shows.

Please - 7-8 year-old girls/boys prancing around singing and dancing in cute little uniforms is part of Thai tradition. Go to any school, temple, music fair and you will see loadsa of shows put on

by youngsters.

It is cute to watch, but boring.

I

think you are just getting a bit grumpy. Otherwise you must be quite a newbie to Thai TV.

See a Thai Soap Opera on, well turn the channel over!

I am not new to Thai TV for sure.

Not needing to bore the readers with reposting a long-winded 'comment by britainmal i thought it would be best to respond...quite simply...

By saying

No, i do not agree with Britainmal's comment "These shows (Thai TV Soap Operas) are just like real Thai life"

Actually, i doubt there is a single member at TV that is going to agree that Thai TV Soap Operas are just like real Thai life!

"Western comedies are more diverse and not the same boring old jokes" That is an opinion, but if 20 million Thai people have watched the likes of Yam Yasothon which has supposedly the same old jokes, the local Thai people haven't found it boring. Unlike in Britainmal's perception.

"Thai humour is the same and does not change" So, who cares - the Thais may find it funny. Actually, just writing that only shows that Britainmal is not that familiar with modern Thai comedy. Ever since the emergence of Thailand's most famous stand-up comedian "Nose" a decade ago now, Thai comedy has branched in a variety of directions.

"They still continue to follow Thai culture" So, Britainmal feels this a negative factor!

Personally speaking, i am glad that Thailand still prides itself in its culture!

And finally, as an educator, i do not see shows put on by school children as "boring" as Britainmal has said he does. That too is part of Thai culture.

BTW: Britainmal has to be kidding that he isnt new to Thai TV with his "They still have one-sided view shows" (talk shows) Without a doubt Britainmal watches the pictures on his screen but doesn't understand what is being told. Has Britainmal never heard of the likes of Mr Sonthi, Mr Sorayuth or My Suthichai Yoon??? etc.... geez! it was a former talk show host (Sonthi) that almost pulled down the Thaksin govt!

Edited by stevesuphan

There was an article in The Nation newspaper a couple of weeks ago, where Anand Panyarachun (some of you may remember) was saying that Thai TV, especially the soap operas are responsible for installing superficial values on the youth of Thailand, with teenage girls now seeing being a Mia Noi as a career choice. I would completely agree. More and more girls are prostituting themselves part-time in order to pay for the latest mobile phone, or some expensive skin cream.

As with TV anywhere in the world, the "entertainment" aspect is the tip of a much more sinister iceberg.

And what about the "Korean Fever" sweeping Thailand at the minute, Full House and Mr Rain ?

INTJ.

Edited by INTJ