Fastest Way To Get To Mai Sai

finy

Used to do it by car, about 6 hours round-trip but fastest way is by bike for sure. If you can ride, get yourself a Kawasaki Versys for the day, or perhaps a cheaper CB400 for about 700 baht. Even a 125 would beat the bus handsdown.

I think by minibus is tour only. See if these are still running: 07.30 - 18.00, 650 baht so a long day.

Edited by jackr

It's a day-long trip, no matter how you go about it.

I hired a car and driver once, and that was fastest. Left at 8AM, and returned at 3PM.

I took a chartered minibus last time, and it ended up taking 11 hours door to door.

I drove myself once, and it took two days because some guy in a pickup truck came blasting out of a side road and destroyed my rental car.

It's an exciting drive, no matter who does it.

Used to do it by car, about 6 hours round-trip but fastest way is by bike for sure. If you can ride, get yourself a Kawasaki Versys for the day, or perhaps a cheaper CB400 for about 700 baht. Even a 125 would beat the bus handsdown.

I think by minibus is tour only. See if these are still running: 07.30 - 18.00, 650 baht so a long day.

Versys would be a good idea. Chances are though that you are gonna get caught in a downpour at some point, so prepare for that.

Know a good car and driver round trip safe and sane 1500 bt. all inclusive English speaking

Picks me up at my door and drops me off at the line to cross and them back again.

Stops when and were I need and I want

Any chance of messaging me his number? :)

I'm too scared of crashing lol.

I'm actually thinking it might be quicker and cheaper to just get the forms and get a 30 day ext from the immigration office near the airport.

Not sure of what you can get in Mai Sai. I thought it was only a 15 day pass.blink.png

Sorry, I actually meant a 30day ext in Chaing Mai. I had a look online and the process looked tedious, but it won't be as tedious as spending 11 hrs on a tour just so I can get an extra 15 days.

If you are doing a 30-day extension then it's VERY easy at immigation. You don't need to go early in the morning, go after the crowds and you'll get a number that is 2-8 numbers from being called and takes 2-hours tops. I've gone at either 9:30 AM (took 20 mins to call my number) or 2-3PM (took less than 10mins to call my number). After you turn in your paperwork, it takes about an hour to wait to get your passport back. If you go early early in the morning when everyone else is there or first in the afternoon, you'll be there forever.

I've done it 4 times now. The only time I had issue was when I needed medical extension (and THAT was a pita)

• Like 1

If you are doing a 30-day extension then it's VERY easy at immigation. You don't need to go early in the morning, go after the crowds and you'll get a number that is 2-8 numbers from being called and takes 2-hours tops. I've gone at either 9:30 AM (took 20 mins to call my number) or 2-3PM (took less than 10mins to call my number). After you turn in your paperwork, it takes about an hour to wait to get your passport back. If you go early early in the morning when everyone else is there or first in the afternoon, you'll be there forever.

I've done it 4 times now. The only time I had issue was when I needed medical extension (and THAT was a pita)

Wow, thanks. Do I need to go a day early to pick up the forms? Or can it all be done on teh same day?

Not sure if you still want to go to Mae Sai. But it may be also interesting for other people.

Compared to the other posts my recommendation seems to be cheaper, 500 THB per person by minibus, 2*5 hrs drive, 1 hrs stop in Mae Sai.

Very good driver. Fast but try to avoid risk.

Their telephone 053-699888, 053-699940.

The shop is located just across the railway station: 444/11-2 Rotfai Rd, T.Watket, A. Muang, Chiang Mai

• Like 1

Not sure if you still want to go to Mae Sai. But it may be also interesting for other people.

Compared to the other posts my recommendation seems to be cheaper, 500 THB per person by minibus, 2*5 hrs drive, 1 hrs stop in Mae Sai.

The shop is located just across the railway station: 444/11-2 Rotfai Rd, T.Watket, A. Muang, Chiang Mai

2.5 hours to Mae Sai with a minibus!! Not possible.

• Like 1

You also failed to add the time and cost to get to the mini bus and back home again from the mini bus. Sounds like no potty or smoke breaks either along the way. And if one needs more time at the boarder do they just go after 1 hour come hell or high water ?

2.5 hours to Mae Sai with a minibus!! Not possible.

I agree it is impossible even with Mr Vettel as driver.

But may I ask you to put on your reading glasses?

I already did select a big fontsize. But for you I enlarge it to 24. Can you see, it's a star (=multiply), not a comma?thumbsup.gif

It's good to know for future reference. Thanks :)

Wow, thanks. Do I need to go a day early to pick up the forms? Or can it all be done on teh same day?

No. All same day. Grab a number when you get there (if it's even needed). It's the counter on the far left so when you come at odd times, sometimes there isn't anyone in front of you and you can just walk up to the counter when you're ready. Get the forms that are on the left next to the number machine. Fill them out, then go outside and get photocopies of your passport and get photos taken if you don't have them already. I suggest coming prepared with photos as they take a while to get them printed there. You only need one.