Thais Consume Too Much Salt: Survey

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While traveling throughout Thailand over 4 years the only plae i ever saw a salt shaker was in Chian Mai, i have never seen salt aywhere in Thailand but oh my god MSG is spread on everything by the handfull, tried to tell my girl that i am alergic to MSG but it fell on deaf ears, the reply, everybody uses it,, and they do, never did see a salt shaker, or salt of any kind but lots of sugar.

There are many areas around the world where soils are deficient in iodine, and iodine must be added to the diet -- usually through iodized salt. One needs the proper amount of iodine for optimal thyroid function. A severe iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, and even developmental brain disorders and severe goiter (thyroid enlargement). In the early 20th century, iodized salt almost wiped out iodine deficiency in the U.S.A. entirely.

I understand that goiter is quite common in Thailand.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/vitaminsupplement/a/iodine.htm

While traveling throughout Thailand over 4 years the only plae i ever saw a salt shaker was in Chian Mai, i have never seen salt aywhere in Thailand but oh my god MSG is spread on everything by the handfull, tried to tell my girl that i am alergic to MSG but it fell on deaf ears, the reply, everybody uses it,, and they do, never did see a salt shaker, or salt of any kind but lots of sugar.

If you travel around Thailand that much, I'd think you know Thais use soy sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce for the salty taste.