Tot Appallingly Bad Service

Smithson

We have been using TOT for the past couple of months. It's was a little patchy but bearable. Speed was less than 2mb for B500 a month.

About 3 weeks ago it stopped completely. It took 8 days and hours on phone before a technician came over. The next day it stopped again and took another two days to fix.

It was good for a week, but stopped again on Mon. Yesterday the technician came round then left without saying anything. He told his manager we asked him to leave because we were on our way out - a complete lie.

Anybody else have similair experience with tot?

True cable/DOCSIS has been fine for me....super reliable (knock on wood). TOT was very reliable (up time wise) when I was on their 4 & 6Mb ADSL plans until I switched to True when True was allowed into my Bangkok moobaan....but the TOT international speed, especially for video streaming, sucked.

True cable/DOCSIS has been fine for me....super reliable (knock on wood). TOT was very reliable (up time wise) when I was on their 4 & 6Mb ADSL plans until I switched to True when True was allowed into my Bangkok moobaan....but the TOT international speed, especially for video streaming, sucked.

Yep, True DOCSIS has been pretty much bombproof here in Asoke. I had TOT when I first got here and agree with the OP - utterly dreadful service.

Yep, True DOCSIS has been pretty much bombproof here in Asoke. I had TOT when I first got here and agree with the OP - utterly dreadful service.

For anyone who has seen speed tests on ADSL and then DOCSIS, u will be gob smacked.

ADSL graph is super erratic, DOCSIS goes straight up to full allotted speed , and when complete , down to zero. ( I saw at my friends house a 60MB/s connection ).

Wish my village had DOCSIS, we are stuck on copper pairs / ADSL.

Same with me,over 20 Meg download speed tested many times,great service for 1,299 baht per month!

TOT in Chiang Rai has been really bad for the past 2 months. At 03:00 AM streaming video varies from 8 kbps to 1500 kbps on a 6 mb service. I call and go and visit and they keep making every kind of excuse you can think of. I hav 2 adsl lines and both have the same problems. Now during the rush hour in the morning and afternoon they both go out for about 2 hours. I suspect that with all of the free Wi-Fi spots they have in the country (which you can't get to operate) they have depleted their international gateway down load bandwidth. Does this seem practical?

I used to have TOT in Pattaya and it's was <deleted>, never up to the promised speed lousy service.

I now use Banglamung Cable TV, service is really good, they even pulled a new cable from the road to my house for free.

Not cheap: 17.880 pr year for 10Kbps but the speed is there 90% of the time and they trow in free cable TV (That I don't use)

Can you describe your service in a bit more detail? I honestly can't even figure out if you have fixed-line broadband (DSL), or are using 3G?

I'm guessing here that you have DSL, maybe the "Basic Fit - XS" package? http://www.tot.co.th/index.php?option=com_linkcontent&Itemid=88&categoryid=42&task=detail&detail_id=910〈=th

If you want to potentially trouble-shoot the install maybe try and look at the modem/router's management screen to determine the current line statistics.

How is the wiring in your home? Do you hear any noise on the telephone line? Can you call out? Can you call in, try at least three times.

TOT DSL issues, on some of the installs I had to support previously - we transitioned everyone to True DSL - were due to cabling issues/problems in the local loop, and/or problems in the CO, where technicians were constantly mishandling individual lines at the voice/data splitter.

Mobile broadband data, i.e. 3G, may address limited internet connectivity applications for you, but cannot be expected to replace fixed-line access owing to both cost/price and fair-use speed limits.

Maybe ebst to speak with neighbors, nearby businesses, schools, government offices etc. to see what they might be using for internet access. There are some wireless broadband solutions, dare I say it, available from TOT (Wi-NET), AIS (AirNET) and 3BB, which are available in rural areas and have been commented on positively by users.

For anyone who has seen speed tests on ADSL and then DOCSIS, u will be gob smacked.

ADSL graph is super erratic, DOCSIS goes straight up to full allotted speed , and when complete , down to zero. ( I saw at my friends house a 60MB/s connection ).

Wish my village had DOCSIS, we are stuck on copper pairs / ADSL.

my experiencee is exactly the opposite. ADSL woould max the connection until download complete. Docsis has huge jitter.

ADSL was bombproof and docsis, while generally consistent has had some very bad weeks.

Thanks, very helpful. We are using adsl, there is no cracking on the phone line and no problem within our property.

The technician fixes it, but only for a few days. He will not commit to a day, comes round without calling and walks out without saying anything, even though he hasn't fixed the problem. Once he was even drunk. In 18 years here this is the worst service I've ever experienced and am trying to find out how to file a formal compliant.

I believe the installation in poor and the repairs even worse. There is no one else in the area using the service.

From an uptime/reliability aspect, one major downside to xDSL is major portion of the system still uses standard phone lines strung on anything a piece of wire can be hung on to include trees, sides of buildings, or just laying on the ground, etc....and all of this spaghetti of wires usually runs to various mini junction boxes on the poles and also ground-level main junction boxes which are subceptiable to rain/flood, human damage, or just a dog walking by and taking a whiz on the box.

During the late 2011 flood, folks in my moobaan who were on True DOCSIS/cable internet/TV continued to have uninterrupted internet and TV service even for the month we had around a meter of water in the moobaan as DOCSIS cables/equipment is all high on the poles; but folks on TOT internet lost internet service (and phone service) in the early days of the flood primarily since the main junction boxes were underwater. After the flood, many people still on TOT internet in my moobaan, switched to True DOCSIS internet. After the flood, TOT did come into my area and replaced the ground-level main junction boxes with electronic boxes high on poles which are feed by fiber optic trunk lines "to" these new boxes, but "from" these main junction boxes it's still the spaghetti of phone wires and numerous pole-mounted mini-junction boxes to the individual homes.

Well, by pure chance after hitting the post button on my above #16 post, I walked out my front door and see a TOT truck parked across the soi with a TOT technician up on the pole working on a mini-junction box connection. My neighbor's phone was giving him problems. I asked the TOT technicians how fast of xDSL service they now provide to the moobaan as I figure the fiber optic trunk line and new main junction boxes probably had increased the max speed from the previous of 6Mb they provided. The TOT technicain said they can now provide up to 20Mb xDSL speed to the homes in the moobaan.

He initially said 10Mb, but quickly followed with 20Mb....my guess is the length of run of the standard phone wire from the new main junction boxes will determine what each home could get with it being between 10Mb (for sure) to 20Mb (probably for those homes close the main junction boxes).

Our phone line was installed 4 months ago, it is way too low, then branches fell on it. The repair job is much worse than the original.

Does anyone know the procedure for filing a formal complaint against the technician? I'm wondering if this may help.

In the moobaan where we live there is only TOT, so no chance to switch to an alternative provider and they know it. So the service is almost nothing. In the past couple of months the net has gone down twice. The first time they disconnected our phone and re-connected to someone else in the moobaan. Took 4 days to fix. The second time they put in new cabling upgrading our speed from 3mb to a whooping 7mb and we lost the net again. Turns out after a week of phone calls a tech arrives and tells us that the original TOT supplied modem cannot handle 7 mb???????? So we go to the TOT shop and buy a new modem. Speed? Not much different to when it was 3mb. I just wish there was another provider. Oh, and we don't live in the back country. Taling Chan, Bangkok.

In the moobaan where we live there is only TOT, so no chance to switch to an alternative provider and they know it. So the service is almost nothing. In the past couple of months the net has gone down twice. The first time they disconnected our phone and re-connected to someone else in the moobaan. Took 4 days to fix. The second time they put in new cabling upgrading our speed from 3mb to a whooping 7mb and we lost the net again. Turns out after a week of phone calls a tech arrives and tells us that the original TOT supplied modem cannot handle 7 mb???????? So we go to the TOT shop and buy a new modem. Speed? Not much different to when it was 3mb. I just wish there was another provider. Oh, and we don't live in the back country. Taling Chan, Bangkok.

I live in Khet Talingchan also and had the same problem in my moobaan until True installed their cable internet/TV in Jun 11. Unless something has changed, you should be able to get JINET over the TOT line....this is what I did for about a year or so but at the time the JINET 4Mb service cost about twice as much as 4Mb TOT service....but the JINET service was reliable but not much good for video streaming...but remember, we are talking several years back and 4Mb speed. When TOT upgraded the moobaan to 6Mb I decided to give them another try since JINET was pricey and I hoped TOT had upgraded their DSLAM bank...the TOT 6Mb was better and reliable but still sucked for video streaming....and I stayed with the TOT 6Mb service for about a year until True arrive Jun 11. Been happy with True DOCSIS internet since (knock on wood).

And per my post #16, I just found-out only today TOT can now provide up to 20Mb ADSL to my moobaan after replacing some of the main phone trunk lines with fiber optic lines and electronic main junction boxes high on the pole to stay above any future flooding. However, but, I'm staying with True DOCSIS...cheaper and faster. My True DOCSIS 14Mb down/1.4Mb up plan cost B699/mo; the True ADSL 15Mb down/1.0 Mb up plan cost B1,290/mo and the TOT 12Mb down/512Kb up cost B690/mo.

Edited by Pib

My ToT connection will drop occasionally also and disappear completely for a while and then come back. Luckily it is provided by my condo so I get them to get on ToT's back about it and they usually resolve it pretty swiftly.

I was with 3BB, but somewhere they got quarrels with TT&T who provided the copper to my house. 3BB just disconnected me , without a word.

So I went to TOT, that was about 1jr back. New copper to the house. first month reasonable than deterioration. complained via 1100, central BKK number, they then push the local TOT office . That has worked for me each time , within a day a technician will call in.

First problem of low speed, was because cable problem in junction box; my instrument technician on the job would call it loose wire :)

last week I have had slow services and disruption again; also a lot of 408 errors (this is that the signal does not reach completely in time the providers servers, or servers of the URL) .

called 1100, one day techn. while looking over his shoulder, I found out that the ADSL settings were 50% of my contract. (this is called data rate) . reset to good value and now speed is up, about 80% of contract. (contract I have 9Mb down, 1Mbup)

also the 408 error have not come the last days.

Actually, living in the back country of Nong Khai, we had excellent service from ToT. The key was to visit them, make jokes, smile a lot, and ask to talk to the technical manager. After my second visit, I expected them to send out a technician at a leisurely pace, but was surprised to find the same manager there waiting for me when I went home. He took a look around, removed the cover from the terminal strip on the pole, revealing two loose and badly corroded copper conductors. He cut the wires, re-stripped them and tightened everything down, problems 100% solved.

The office got a nice tin of Danish butter cookies for that one...and we always got prompt service thereafter.

Actually, living in the back country of Nong Khai, we had excellent service from ToT. The key was to visit them, make jokes, smile a lot, and ask to talk to the technical manager. After my second visit, I expected them to send out a technician at a leisurely pace, but was surprised to find the same manager there waiting for me when I went home. He took a look around, removed the cover from the terminal strip on the pole, revealing two loose and badly corroded copper conductors. He cut the wires, re-stripped them and tightened everything down, problems 100% solved.

The office got a nice tin of Danish butter cookies for that one...and we always got prompt service thereafter.

No expense spared there,that should see their kids through school!rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

Where I am (Koh Chang) there are not enough TOT lines (bandwidth) to meet the demand. It's no use switching from TOT to CAT because CAT leases the lines from TOT. My internet speed is about 0.5 megs on a good day--sometimes the internet doesn't work at all for a couple of days.

A year ago I was finally able to speak to a (senior) service rep at TOT and he said there the situation could not be fixed until more lines were installed and I should file a formal complaint--which I (and about a dozen others) did. Since then we all have been laying 300 baht on the counter when we are presented with our bill (average 800-1200 baht) and just walk out of the office. tongue.png

Nobody has had their service cut and the local TOT office doesn't seem to care that we're not paying the full service fee...