Using A Kindle Without Home Wi-Fi

chris2004

I want to buy a Kindle for a friend in the UK but she hasn't got wi-fi at home. Am i right in thinking that all she has to do is go to a wi-fi hot spot (say Starbucks) to down load the books then she can read them anywhere. Or do you need home wi-fi to use a Kindle. I suppose the same question applies to the use of a Kindle in Thailand without home wi-fi.

You can shop and download using any wifi connection you have access to, it doesn't have to be a home one. There are also 3G Kindles that, as well as having the wifi option, can also connect to mobile phone networks - 3G/EDGE/GPRS, in almost every country when you don't have access to a wifi connection. This is done for free as part of the Amazon service and you don't need to insert a SIM card. The mobile connection can be slower than wifi, but I've had no problems shopping and downloading books in Northeast Thailand, or indeed anywhere in the world I've happened to be, using a mobile data connection.

Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks

so it must be a secure network....

As above, get a 3G model and it will automatically go for 3G if you're not logged in to a wifi network. It's free and still works good and fast.

Not necessarily. I have sent two back and stuck with Wifi because Amazon's 3G coverage map is a pile of shit.

As above, get a 3G model and it will automatically go for 3G if you're not logged in to a wifi network. It's free and still works good and fast.

Not necessarily. I have sent two back and stuck with Wifi because Amazon's 3G coverage map is a pile of shit.

It's not Amazon's 3G coverage, it's AIS/True/DTAC 's. I can get a signal on my Kindle anywhere I can get one on my mobile phone, including the middle of a rice field in deepest Isaan. And, like I said, it doesn't even have to be 3G, any mobile data connection will work.

Having said that, there are dodgy 3G Kindles about. The first one I was sent wouldn't get a mobile connection. They sent me a new one, that works perfectly, and a link to print off the documentation to get the original shipped back. I printed it, packed it in the box the new one came in and called UPS who collected it and shipped it back. Yes, I was pissed off at the time, I like things to work first time, but I'm very pleased with it now.

It's not Amazon's 3G coverage, it's AIS/True/DTAC 's. I can get a signal on my Kindle anywhere I can get one on my mobile phone, including the middle of a rice field in deepest Isaan. And, like I said, it doesn't even have to be 3G, any mobile data connection will work.

Having said that, there are dodgy 3G Kindles about. The first one I was sent wouldn't get a mobile connection. They sent me a new one, that works perfectly, and a link to print off the documentation to get the original shipped back. I printed it, packed it in the box the new one came in and called UPS who collected it and shipped it back. Yes, I was pissed off at the time, I like things to work first time, but I'm very pleased with it now.

There is nothing wrong with the 3G coverage where I live. It's simply that Amazon didn't have agreements with any of the local telcos, yet their coverage maps said they did.

Like I said, they're a pile of shit.

I ended up going Wifi Kindle Fire and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. i wouldn't recommend people spending the extra on 3G, it isn't worth it.

I have 2 pcs Kindles now a 3g one (wi-fi also off course) and my new one only wi-fi and they both work fine. I can use 3g in Pattaya without any problems.

In OP's case it's best to buy a 3G one so you can find/download books without the wi-fi.

I can recommend the new Kindle Paperwhite, it's awesome but maybe not so good for a non pc person as it's touch screen and take a bit time getting used to.