New Trick By Bars In Soi Bhuakaow

thaisabai

IMO this is scam activity and I'd say most of those here trying to trash this thread are bar owners trying to trivialise charging 3x the correct price for a sangsom coke.

He he he - how wrong can you be - otherwise your post contains a lot of good advice. I maintain though, that Soi Bukaho is a great place to have a few beers, at any time of the day.

IMO this is scam activity and I'd say most of those here trying to trash this thread are bar owners trying to trivialise charging 3x the correct price for a sangsom coke.

He he he - how wrong can you be - otherwise your post contains a lot of good advice. I maintain though, that Soi Bukaho is a great place to have a few beers, at any time of the day.

totally agree if tou don't like it don't go SIMPLE. ( isn't it ?)

I sometimes have to question where I chose to retire. There are some real decent down to earth folk here and then there is sprinkled amongst us crackpots that complain about a free drink then 'tips it in the plant pot" on the way out in anger. laugh.png

I believe the problem here is not the "buy one" get two drinks principal, it's the fact that it is thrust on a customer without their knowledge and without any signs in the bar to indicate, it is only when an observant punter looks at his checkbin and asks why his 10baht drink was 90 baht that the bar reveals - it would be my guess that a lot of people don't question the price and never see a 2nd free drink.

Where can one buy a 10 baht drink in a bar in pattaya? Perhaps you misread the bill and it was 100thb and they gave you 10% discount. wink.png

And who exactly determines what the "correct price" for a sangdom coke is if not the bar owner?

Edited by Jayman

It is not only Soi Bouakow, this happened to me last night in a popular bar/disco down walking street. I ordered 1 Beer, and the price was double, only when i asked why, was I told buy one get 2nd one free.

Does this popular bar/disco have a name? How much were you charged for the 1 beer you ordered and what type of beer was it? It's been my experience that disco's in pattaya charge far more for drinks than what a man would pay in a gogo bar on WS. I say man as I have seen that women are often given discounts when ordering drinks in discos to keep the women in there to attract male customers.

Try going into a disco on WS and order a bottle of water and see how much they charge for that.

Edited by Jayman

I believe the problem here is not the "buy one" get two drinks principal, it's the fact that it is thrust on a customer without their knowledge and without any signs in the bar to indicate, it is only when an observant punter looks at his checkbin and asks why his 10baht drink was 90 baht that the bar reveals - it would be my guess that a lot of people don't question the price and never see a 2nd free drink.

Where can one buy a 10 baht drink in a bar in pattaya? Perhaps you misread the bill and it was 100thb and they gave you 10% discount. wink.png

And who exactly determines what the "correct price" for a sangdom coke is if not the bar owner?

you need to read my post again.

The bottom line here is simple, if you went to a shop - supermarket - petrol station etc etc were they didn't display the prices until you had gone to the checkout - would you continue to shop there, why should a bar be any different - if a bar is not displaying prices I will ask a simple question before I commit to order ........................ how much ? that is my right as a customer and I've been ripped off too many times to ignore it, obviously I will only do this in bars I am not familiar with

I don't think it matters so much for the 2 week millionaires who come here on holiday but it certaintly matters to me and eventually will matter those on holiday when they actually sit down and realise that Thailand is overpriced and ripping thm off, it's only a matter of time, walking street is a disgrace what some of the establishments are charging - it actually works out more than I'd pay in cental London - that is just wrong period

you need to read my post again.

The bottom line here is simple, if you went to a shop - supermarket - petrol station etc etc were they didn't display the prices until you had gone to the checkout - would you continue to shop there, why should a bar be any different - if a bar is not displaying prices I will ask a simple question before I commit to order ........................ how much ? that is my right as a customer and I've been ripped off too many times to ignore it, obviously I will only do this in bars I am not familiar with

I don't think it matters so much for the 2 week millionaires who come here on holiday but it certaintly matters to me and eventually will matter those on holiday when they actually sit down and realise that Thailand is overpriced and ripping thm off, it's only a matter of time, walking street is a disgrace what some of the establishments are charging - it actually works out more than I'd pay in cental London - that is just wrong period

When any business doesn't display their prices, they will have a genuine reason for that. Mostly the reason isn't because the prices are favorable to the customer.

Throwing a drink you have paid for in a plant pot. No wonder they take the piss out of us bah.gif

If you really want to make a point then take 20 baht out your pocket and burn it, then swagger out the bar accross the road to the motorbike taxis. Kick a few of them over and say to the riders '' any of you fuc_kers got a problem''. Then shout some abuse about Buddha and go on your merry way.

• Like 2

JEEZ the sneaky B@stards. Lets hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere. This giving something away for free needs to be stamped out now ! whistling.gif

This is as bad as the "free" breakfast with the room rate. I don't want their breakfast. I certainly don't want the same thing day after day when there on a long holiday. I definitely don't always get up for breakfast. And, it is not free because they have raised the price of the room to account for it.

Very very easy solution change hotels no need to drip.

yes I have and several hotels no longer get my business

Throwing a drink you have paid for in a plant pot. No wonder they take the piss out of us bah.gif

If you really want to make a point then take 20 baht out your pocket and burn it, then swagger out the bar accross the road to the motorbike taxis. Kick a few of them over and say to the riders '' any of you fuc_kers got a problem''. Then shout some abuse about Buddha and go on your merry way.

Nice one w00t.gifcheesy.gif

I was working in a fairly remote area in Indonesia in the 90's and there was a bar / disco on the edge of town - it was a real dive but I loved it. One night the PM was beered-up and got into a dispute with the barman over his bill and he actually did the burning money stunt. What ensued wasn't pretty and we just about got out unscathed - though the rocks and sticks the locals were chucking as we legged it down the street could have caused serious injury. Over the next couple of years, none of us went back sad.png

Edited by londoedan
  • Like 1

The Op was doomed the minute he mentioned pouring out a beer post-4641-1156693976.gif

However I do think the bar owners are being disingenuous by not having the pricing policy up front.

If I went to burger king and asked for a whopper and was charged for two, I would have a right to complain, especially if I did not know I was entitled to a second one, and also if I only wanted one.

I remember checking out of the LK Hotel in Pattaya and there was an Indian arguing with the receptionist about his mini bar bill.

He was complaining that the diet coke he was getting charged for had been drunk by a girl he had brought back to his room the night before and not him so therefore the hotel should be charging her. At this point he wrote down her three letter name and the establishment he had bar fined her out off.

• Like 1

Another delusional fool who thinks bars charge 37 Baht 50 Satang a beer blink.png

If I go to the equivalent of walking street here I will expect to pay between 70 and 100 Baht a beer. I may find a bar where I can get a beer at 50 Baht but that will be Chang and isn't in the heart of the town but a quieter part of the island altogether.

Again two beers for 75 Baht in the heart of Pattaya is good value for money by any standards.

New Plaza off 2nd road 40 baht for beer and that bar complex near worldwide gogo on Beach Rd can get beer cheap. I don't like paying more than 50 as an expat. Too many choices.

Another delusional fool who thinks bars charge 37 Baht 50 Satang a beer blink.png

If I go to the equivalent of walking street here I will expect to pay between 70 and 100 Baht a beer. I may find a bar where I can get a beer at 50 Baht but that will be Chang and isn't in the heart of the town but a quieter part of the island altogether.

Again two beers for 75 Baht in the heart of Pattaya is good value for money by any standards.

New Plaza off 2nd road 40 baht for beer and that bar complex near worldwide gogo on Beach Rd can get beer cheap. I don't like paying more than 50 as an expat. Too many choices.

There are a few places around town where you can get a bottle of beer for 40-50 baht during the day, but not wanting to pay more than 50 would really limit your night time options sad.png I don't paying more than that, if the music is good and the dancing girls are easy on the eye thumbsup.gif

I remember checking out of the LK Hotel in Pattaya and there was an Indian arguing with the receptionist about his mini bar bill.

He was complaining that the diet coke he was getting charged for had been drunk by a girl he had brought back to his room the night before and not him so therefore the hotel should be charging her. At this point he wrote down her three letter name and the establishment he had bar fined her out off.

haha hilarious the Indians take it to another level. Wonder if her name was IOU

• Like 1

I tend to drink 'cough, cough' around the Soi in question? The 2 for 1 can be a laugh....

Now I am not suggesting a cheap charlie route, but??

A lot of the girls will be more than happy to have your "free beer" that way your lady drink is free, you have not had to pay 100-120bt.

Jeez man...... I have found a new way to look at 2 for 1

The Op was doomed the minute he mentioned pouring out a beer post-4641-1156693976.gif

However I do think the bar owners are being disingenuous by not having the pricing policy up front.

If I went to burger king and asked for a whopper and was charged for two, I would have a right to complain, especially if I did not know I was entitled to a second one, and also if I only wanted one.

Of course, at Burger King the prices are clearly posted--apples and oranges.

And MOST bars don't have their prices clearly posted, though some do, esp to emphasize their lower prices. If I sit down at a bar w/o prices posted, which I haven't in quite a while as I prefer the go-gos, I'll expect to pay B65 maybe a bit more. Nor would I be particularly upset to be surprised by the 2-for-1 deal. I'd just drink them both and enjoy this particular bar a little longer than I'd anticipated.

But if I WERE upset and if this were SUCH an upsetting event, I'd just drink up politely anyway and then ask the price beforehand at the next bar. The OP's childish reaction is what's way over the top. The whole thing is so utterly trivial.

Better for the OP to stay away from 3rd World countries, for which he obviously lacks the temperament. I suggest Japan.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I tend to drink 'cough, cough' around the Soi in question? The 2 for 1 can be a laugh....

Now I am not suggesting a cheap charlie route, but??

A lot of the girls will be more than happy to have your "free beer" that way your lady drink is free, you have not had to pay 100-120bt.

Jeez man...... I have found a new way to look at 2 for 1

There are for sure some great deals on that Rd. I was there a wee while back and the Kate Siree bar was doing a large Chang for around 50 THB (can't remember the exact price) and they had live cricket on thumbsup.gif Even the Thai girl I was with was surprised.

Perhaps get back at all those bar owners and setup a bar that ONLY serves free drinks and keep doing it year after year till they all learn their lesson and understand simple economics and living standards! How dare they! I assume all the staff drive mercs and bmw's with that scam? (sic)

Edited by pcdude

I'm not a beer drinker but isn't it necessary to distinguish between draft beer (typically cheaper) and bottled beer? Also, doesn't the brand play a big role in the price? How are you guys just saying "beer price" and expecting to make an honest comparison? When claims are made that 35thb beer is available, what specifically is being sold for 35thb?

I would drink around soi buakhao when I am Pattaya. But I have never knowingly bought a buy 1 get 1 free beer. So I assume I have walked away and left my beer in the fridge to be resold.

It would be a help to members if we could form a list of bars that offer the buy 1 get 1 free option so we will not lose out in future.

I think the OP is simply stating that had he been informed by a menu or a placard that it was a two for one deal he could have gone elsewhere if he only wanted the one drink. Sometimes we all just pop into a bar and just have one drink and then move on if there is nothing much that tempts you to stay. To be fair he does say in his post that he is a newcomer to the area.