Disrespect By Farang Of Thai People

Dr Robert

I have't read all of the posts but I think it safe to say that I agree with everything everybody has said, I also know that generalisations are odious.

I don't care what people who don't know me say about me; it is non of my business.

• Like 1

I would imagine they are basing their experiences on the foreigners they have seen while on their weekend jaunts to the seaside.

NO-these are indeed beliefs widely held by most mid-class Thai (from high-class it will be even much worse). But they are-like most Thai ''beliefs'' NOT from own experience-but from a common held and exchanged among themselvesset of standard Thai general beliefs-as they also have about any possible other class of people etc. Thai do not think for themselves-they parrot. Or simply rehearse what they have been told in school. There are not that many Thai who can afford ''weekly haunts to the sea''. The original list of OP could easily be extended with another 50 or so similar beliefs

"There are not many Thai who can afford weekly haunts to the sea". I suggest you visit Cha Am or Hua Hin any given weekend. Both towns at least double the the number of inhabitants each Saturday/Sunday. They are not all noodlesoup-vendors! whistling.gif

My farang friend married into a middle class Thai-Chinese recently. At the wedding reception dinner, all the farangs were impeccably dressed in suit and ties. However, I was surprised to see that a number of the Thai guests turned up in jeans and t-shirts and the ceremony started 2 hours late as a lot of the Thais arrived late.

1) I'm assuming your friends are from Bangkok. I try to avoid BKK, but the few times I've been I saw many young Thai professionals dressed in casual business attire. At the clubs they tone it down a bit, but they're still dressed nice in long pants, nice shoes, and something fashionable up top. Outside of Bangkok that's not usually the case, but that's besides my point. If I tried to dress nice in Bangkok I would die of heat exhaustion. I can't wear a long sleeved shirt in Thailand. I can't wear long pants, or socks and shoes. I'm not overweight, but I was born and bred for dry, cold climates, as are many farang. Shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops are all I can wear without being extremely uncomfortable. Plus, many of the farang they see are tourists, dressed in tourist attire. You don't usually see the farang professional living in Bangkok who goes home at night to his girlfriend or wife.

2) Can't argue with this biggrin.png But again, you mainly see the tourists.

3) Unfortunately I see this a lot, everywhere in Thailand. When a farang starts talking to another farang (usually in areas that aren't tourist heavy) they start to vent about the Thais in a superior manner. Usually it's just "how the Thais do things is wrong" but sometimes it's "Thais are stupid". These people are here because it's cheap, that's basically it. They took their retirement and moved here to make their money go as far as possible. No respect for Thai culture or the people.

4) Tourists and retired alcoholics.

5) I live in a non-tourist area and the prostitution business is supported 99.9% by Thai people. The girls speak very little English, if any, and are always surprised when a farang comes in.

Anyway, there's truth to the stereotypes, but it's always the loudest who get heard.

Well, OP, the points your friends raise say more about them than they do about us. But then, you do live in Bangkok..............! Those intelligent expats who avoid Bangkok like the plague will understand what I mean.

• Like 2

As would be expected, the majority of the posts are defensive. It matters not whether what the Thais think are true or not. What matters is their perception and I can speak from personal experience that the general perception is not favourable. This applies not only to the many drunken tourists one sees in places like Cowboi, Nana, Pattaya, Phuket etc. It also applies in many offices where there are expat bosses - a lot of these bosses tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior.

Once again, it's not the truth of the matter that counts, but the perception which is what makes the world go round.

First of all; lumping all white skinned or western people together by calling them "falang" is disrespectful, as I know from personal experience; thais in the US get very offended if they are referred to as lao, cambodian etc.

Second; my first day ever in this country; I was accosted on a public street by drunken Thai taxi drivers trying to get me to drink whiskey with them while they were all laughing and saying "thai lady number one" while making the gesture of putting their finger of one hand into a hole made by their fingers on the other hand.

In my country, drunks on the street would be arrested; especially they were professional drivers, in fact that would probably be headline news.

So who are the drunks? Who are the ill behaved people?

Not to say that there are not ill behaved westerners; there are plenty but it always amazes me when thais point out the behavior of foreigners, but won't say a word to thais behaving badly even before their eyes. There is always and excuse.

These people sound like a bunch of holier than though idiots; if I were you I would tell them to get lostsad.png

In a candid moment with some Thai friends, where I asked their opinions of farang attitudes, I was somewhat taken aback by their responses;

This is a brief summary of some of their ideas on the topic.

1. Farangs dress badly

2. Worse, many of them (especially men, but sometimes women) appear not to wash, are overweight, balding, crass and ugly

3. Farangs disrespect Thai culture with their boorish, superior attitudes

4. Why do farangs drink so much alcohol? They always seem to be drunk

5. Thai women are used and abused in the sex industry, much to their shame

They were also grateful for the income and job creation which came from tourism and farang spending.

The people who braved the above responses ( reluctantly in most cases) are smart professionals and high achievers.

I am interested to know what you Thaivisa readers and contributors think on the topic and the summary of these responses and if it might be time to reconsider our attitudes.

In response, I'd suggest :-

1. Not all farangs feel the need to pander at all times to Thai hi-so dress-standards, except at social-occasions like a wedding or funeral, or a visit to Immigration. It's relatively-hot here, we wouldn't want to wear suits, and get offensively-smelly would we ? We don't work in offices now, when we used to, then we would usually dress more appropriately.

2. I'm seeing a lot more overweight Thai these days, especially the kids, but don't feel the need to look down on them, and bald or close-shaven is also popular with Thai monks, isn't it ? Perhaps we're more spiritual than they think ? Or perhaps old men (and women too) gradually lose their hair, and prefer to cut whatever is left short ?

When I was a kid, I was trained to have a weekly bath in the winter, perhaps twice-weekly in summer, now here I shower 3-4 times per day, but perhaps Thais who didn't live in 1950s-Europe aren't aware of how much we've adapted & improved ? We even use deodorants !

3. Farangs aren't Thai, and don't always follow Thai cultural norms, but the long-term residents do IME try to be polite in their own way, saying please & thank-you or holding doors open for ladies or giving-way in traffic. Perhaps the high-so Thais don't recognise this, as showing respect to their culture, in our own way ?

Of course we often (not always) have much wider experience of the ways of the world, but I doubt that any professional expat would be so insensitive, as to demonstrate this in a condescending way. Passing on knowledge or better experience, in a culturally-acceptable way, is something we often try hard to do, I used to be well-paid for this attitude ! But overly chauvinistic or nationalistic people may find even this tactful-behaviour hard to accept.

Perhaps we both have something to learn, from each other ?

4. Many retired people do drink more, especially in a hot tropical climate, but rarely as much as typical Thai men can do IME, and the rotgut which your average field-labourer drinks at the village shop, on his way home from work, would never be touched by a farang. Unless he needed to clean his paint-brushes.

5. Then the Thai men should stop exploiting these poor women, and enforce their laws against prostitution & mia-nois & giks, something which I feel they are unlikely to do in the near-future.

Overall smart professionals & high achieving Thais are not really representative of the population as-a-whole, perhaps they're blaming the farangs, rather than looking more closely at their own compatriots ?

• Like 1

As would be expected, the majority of the posts are defensive. It matters not whether what the Thais think are true or not. What matters is their perception and I can speak from personal experience that the general perception is not favourable. This applies not only to the many drunken tourists one sees in places like Cowboi, Nana, Pattaya, Phuket etc. It also applies in many offices where there are expat bosses - a lot of these bosses tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior.

Once again, it's not the truth of the matter that counts, but the perception which is what makes the world go round.

Thai bosses don't tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior ??

In my experience a lot of Thais, even those who have achieved nothing in their lives, tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior.

I am relieved to hear that the way the people in Thai soaps treat their staff and those of lower social standing actually has no basis in fact and is just make believe.

I think mabye some of the farangs these thai people are talking about mabye do act in that way.But of course you should never genralize about people.Is it really important what thais think about us? Yes we live here but its not important to me.Also to be friends with thais means all about what class your in which is very boring and i cant be bothered with that.Ive had a thai gf before and i feel that there wasnt much of a connection to be honest yes in the bedroom but i soon got bored with her narrow minded view on life and she come across racist in some of her remarks as a lot of thais do.I think it comes down to the fact most thais and farangs really dont have much in common and dont really click.Yes many on here have thai gfs but we know what connecton there enjoying.I mean ive never had a thai guy as a friend i dont think i ever will that dosent mean i dont want .I tjust will not happen im sure of it.Mabye we just dont click.

Thai bosses don't tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior ??

In my experience a lot of Thais, even those who have achieved nothing in their lives, tend to be arrogant and condescending, thinking themselves superior.

I am relieved to hear that the way the people in Thai soaps treat their staff and those of lower social standing actually has no basis in fact and is just make believe.

Not saying that Thai bosses aren't as you suggested, the only redeeming factor is that Thai on Thai, there is the cultural issue, the "krenjai" factor. But this thread is not about comparing Thais to farangs, it's about farang behaviour and perceptions.

I'm thinking this may be a very cleverly constructed Troll post but nevertheless, interesting reading. Personally I don't give a toss what Thais, Americans, Aussies, The Pope, Queen Lizzie or anybody thinks about me. I don't need nor seek anybody's approval for my existence. If people I care about deeply and whose opinion I trust were to comment on my behaviour / views, I may indeed reflect. Am I arrogant most likely. I have my own opinion about Thais and no doubt some have their opinion about me. I am mindful that I am a guest in their country and a guest only, I am not here to change or influence Thai society; in that respect Thailand for the Thais is OK by me. Are there aspects of Thai culture that piss me off... you bet... similarly the same could be said for Australian / UK culture etc.. However, I am not so culturally timid as not to defend blatant misconceptions that Thais may have about me or my (and by association Farang) beliefs and am quite happy to point out any inaccuracies and generalisations they may have.

• Like 2

I'm thinking this may be a very cleverly constructed Troll post but nevertheless, interesting reading. Personally I don't give a toss what Thais, Americans, Aussies, The Pope, Queen Lizzie or anybody thinks about me. I don't need nor seek anybody's approval for my existence. If people I care about deeply and whose opinion I trust were to comment on my behaviour / views, I may indeed reflect. Am I arrogant most likely. I have my own opinion about Thais and no doubt some have their opinion about me. I am mindful that I am a guest in their country and a guest only, I am not here to change or influence Thai society; in that respect Thailand for the Thais is OK by me. Are there aspects of Thai culture that piss me off... you bet... similarly the same could be said for Australian / UK culture etc.. However, I am not so culturally timid as not to defend blatant misconceptions that Thais may have about me or my (and by association Farang) beliefs and am quite happy to point out any inaccuracies and generalisations they may have.

It seems farand bashing is fine on this forum! Strange double standards but there you go. sick.gif

It seems farand bashing is fine on this forum! Strange double standards but there you go. sick.gif

In my opinion this thread is no different to one which bashes Thais in a generalised manner.

I'm surprised it has lasted this long to be perfectly honest. It is racist in nature, there is no other way to describe it no matter how much of a humorous slant you may care to give it.

1zgarz5.gif

4. Why do farangs drink so much alcohol? They always seem to be drunk

An over-generalization but IMO very true, not just with those farang here in Thailand but very often just as true back home. But not useful or appropriate to criticize openly as the substance abuser will simply get defensive.

When my Thai step-daughter (teenage) first came to live with her mother and I (shortly after our marriage) one of the first questions she asked her mother, "Why isn't Dad falling down drunk every night, like all the other men in our village". I was actually shocked by that question, how little I knew about village life then.

• Like 1

In my opinion this thread is no different to one which bashes Thais in a generalised manner.

I'm surprised it has lasted this long to be perfectly honest. It is racist in nature, there is no other way to describe it no matter how much of a humorous slant you may care to give it.

1zgarz5.gif

Probably 'cos the point made is probably true - insofar as its a summarisation of Thais' general thoughts about farangs.

Obviously, not all Westerners are the same.

Similarly, most Westerners have general thoughts about Thais - but not all Thais are the same...

Edit - nonetheless, its well for us to be reminded that we are living in a foreign country and should remember that we are not necessarily greeted as wonderful people.... We need to earn respect by showing that we do not fit the stereotype.

Edited by F1fanatic
  • Like 2

1zgarz5.gif

Probably 'cos the point made is probably true - insofar as its a summarisation of Thais' general thoughts about farangs.

Obviously, not all Westerners are the same.

Similarly, most Westerners have general thoughts about Thais - but not all Thais are the same...

A similar bashing thread relating to Thais would have been closed long ago however, which begs the question....why is this one still open?

Yes, it seems racist and unpleasant generalising of foreigners is condoned by Thai Visa. If not then why has this toxic thread lasted so long? Everyone having a nap? blink.png

No, it seems you are incapable of hitting the report button and would rather comment publicly on moderatoin instead. Count yourself lucky I feel generous today

//CLOSED//