Western Motorbike Driver

simple1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This event mirrors my own experience. Why would someone who has learned to drive in a western country, with high standards,elect to drive like an imbecile in total disregard of his safety or the safety his family and others? I experience examples of this kind of driving all the time.

Thailand is not distinguished by it's standards of road safety or driving courtesy, however,if you have never driven elsewhere you may be forgiven to some extent for having low standards. For Europeans, Americans and Australians etc to drive this way is unforgivable and inexplicable!

• Like 2

A couple of weeks ago I was pulling into a main road from a side road and turning right. I indicated and waited for a gap in the traffic. A motorcycle driven by a farang pulled up along side me on my right and indicated left. As I began to turn right he began to turn left and we almost collided. It's not just that some people drive recklessly or negligently, it sometimes feels more like a deliberate and obstinate attempt to be as stupid as possible!

There should be a special category of visa for these imbeciles!

For me it's nearly daily that I have to use defensive driving when a westerner just doesn't use safe driving in Pattaya, whether it be a car or motor bike driver. What especially annoys me is the western motor bike drivers with kids as pillion passengers with no helmets. Those of us who live in Pattaya see the new white marks on the road with outlines at the accident scenes every few days or so. It's as though many western drivers think they are immune to death and injury. As I said it's the risk they expose the children in their care that I fail to comprehend.

Just need to regularly watch the News Clippings part of the Pattaya Forum to see how many accidents involve expats. Definite room for improvement

Dont be silly Farang drivers are much better than Thais,especially on motorbikescheesy.gif

Think they are.

Many have never had any formal training or passed a test to ride a motor bike, let alone got a licences.

<extremely tiny font post edited out>

Re: The OP needs to take a powder and worry about his own driving.

Absolutely, I do take complete responsibility for my driving. However, one day I may be unable to avoid an accident and cause injury or death to a child due to the utter carelessness & stupidity of another driver. Someone switching lanes with no indication & cutting across the front of your vehicle whilst traveling in heavy traffic at 50 kilometers an hour leaves very little time to take evasive action.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

Yes, this place is totally lethal to a biker, i'm scared every second i drive,

primarily because of the car drivers, who don't hesitate to cross my lane

Westerners, Thai or both?

Edited by simple1

A couple of weeks ago I was pulling into a main road from a side road and turning right. I indicated and waited for a gap in the traffic. A motorcycle driven by a farang pulled up along side me on my right and indicated left. As I began to turn right he began to turn left and we almost collided. It's not just that some people drive recklessly or negligently, it sometimes feels more like a deliberate and obstinate attempt to be as stupid as possible!

This reminds me of the other day when I was at the extreme right of a lane indicating to turn right and a Thai motorcycle rider overtook me on the right immediately before I was about to make the turn.

This reminds me of the other day when I was at the extreme right of a lane indicating to turn right and a Thai motorcycle rider overtook me on the right immediately before I was about to make the turn.

Happened to me 2 dyas ago, just after I had told gf that I actually saw a motor cyclist ride into someone's mirror at a restaurant near the lake while overtaking. Motor cyclist just got up, shook himself down and buggered off. Electric mirror from the Vigo needs replaced, 6000-7000 baht job

Very common & not just limited to Thai's. Same happened to me, turning right with indicator on, from the main road into a side street & over taken at high speed on my right side. Had already looked in the rear mirror & didn't see the motor bike, if I had not looked at my drivers side mirror at the very last moment, motor bike driver would have been seriously injured, if not dead

Edited by simple1

Very common & not just limited to Thai's. Same happened to me, turning right with indicator on, from the main road into a side street & over taken at high speed on my right side. Had already looked in the rear mirror & didn't see the motor bike, if I had not looked at my drivers side mirror at the very last moment, motor bike driver would have been seriously injured, if not dead

Or in my case I may have been the dead one - I was riding a motorcycle.

I you were taking a guess, what proportion of westerners driving motorcycles in Thailand do you suspect of not have a motorcycle licence in their home country? Do you think that farangs driving motorcycles for the first time in Thailand is widespread? Generally I would say that many of the most experienced drivers in the UK are motorcyclists.

I you were taking a guess, what proportion of westerners driving motorcycles in Thailand do you suspect of not have a motorcycle licence in their home country? Do you think that farangs driving motorcycles for the first time in Thailand is widespread? Generally I would say that many of the most experienced drivers in the UK are motorcyclists.

I don't have a license for a motorbike back home but i got a Thai one does that count ?

• Like 1

A guess would be that Westerners driving 250CC motorbikes and above would be experienced. Those driving basically scooters/mopeds would be inexperienced and using them due to lack of parking and road congestion around Pattaya; maybe cost is a factor.