I Miss The Lawlessness Of Cambodia In Thailand

omnilangur

If I found a place where there was total freedom, I believe I'd be in great danger. The opposite of too much government is anarchy. Every man for himself and no laws. That sounds like Hell to me.

Too much government is Hell to me also.

Any time I am out of my native country (US) I am a guest with few rights. There is some danger in that. There can also be danger in not understanding the culture.

In my own country there are now far too many laws. Even in my lifetime I've seen many freedoms disappear. Every time the federal, state or local legislatures meet, new laws which bind me may be passed.

I'm certainly not free to move to Thailand, unless continually jumping through hoops to get and maintain a retirement visa, and not being allowed to own the land I live on is freedom. I certainly love LOS but it is what it is.

Some of my friends genuinely wish that the US would totally collapse economically and politically. It so happens that the freedom lovers in the US also own 250 million guns, and God only knows how much ammunition. In a land of about 300 mil population, the armed forces have fewer than 2 million souls, and they are scattered all over the world. Those who love big government are opposed to gun ownership, and there are people I know who think they would be mighty tasty, LOL. :)

I'm not in favor of collapse anywhere. History says the near term results are terrible. I do long for freedom though. I don't think it exists in any good area right now.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a feeling that anything is possible there and it takes a strong mind to navigate yourself to an ethical life.

It takes a strong mind to navigate yourself to an ethical life in Cambodia? What does that even mean?

I think, it's like trying to knit a nice sweater from a bowl of minestrone.

If I found a place where there was total freedom, I believe I'd be in great danger. The opposite of too much government is anarchy.

Only in the USA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy

Neversure asked the wrong question. I think nobody has to look for a place where freedom is. Freedom comes from the mind. If you feel you are locked up you have to stand up and fight the system where you are willingly taking part of all your life. I stopped ' sleeping' a few years ago and i now can taste the joys of freedom already.

For me i am still not totally free but i am doing something about it. Sorry about the rant but it made me feel good. Thanks guys for opening discussions.

I am gratefull

Cambodia is truly a lovely green and pleasant country.

I think that's what the OP meant. smile.png

The OP hasn't been in Cambodia long enough to find the shithouse, nor has he been in Thailand long enough to make a decent comparison. Like all his other threads, he is trolling.

The OP hasn't been in Cambodia long enough to find the shithouse, nor has he been in Thailand long enough to make a decent comparison. Like all his other threads, he is trolling.

OP is not trolling, according to me he is ranting. And there is nothing wrong with that and i think it' s very interesting thinking about the OP.

I do not check threads when i am trying to give my opinion to somebody. It's similar like you are talking to someone for the first time in real life, somebody you know nothing about. To be Candid i ask myself why so many remain negative whilst contemplating a new subject matter. For all we know the OP could be the head of some bank, a Pulitzer prize winner or got a Nobel prize in his pocket.

He could also be a normal person like most of us.

Let me put it in another way: If i was posting a new thread:thought.(opinion); i can't check threads beforehand so i just post my issue and hope for some interaction. And after (positive)interaction is set the discussion will be truly, lovely, green and pleasant.

no one will ever be tottaly free in this world we live in, not in this day and age,

no matter were you go,

nick you will at some point need your computer,

most people live in a condo, house, hotel,

freedom in my opinion is what you and you alone think it is,

some one elses freedom wont be others,

i feel free when im home on our farm,

im not free because i have to do the pigs ect,

but i get the feeling of freedom, at if non of us can find true freedom, just having the feeling of freedom will do for me,

jake

You dig it mr pigeon. I plough it using Kobuta. The result is the same. wai.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

OP: I don't believe to many Thai's will appreciate being compared to a communist state, especially given their prior military involvement in South Korea and Vietnam. Given your previous posts about the exploitation of workers in Thailand, maybe a better example for you would be saying Thailand is an example of unfettered capitalism.

As stated in post #15 Cambodia is not exactly the land of milk and honey for human rights and abuse of power. In my opinion the major issue for Thailand is institutionalised corruption and using libel and defamation laws to suppress openness. On a more positive note their is a lot of international pressure on Thailand to get it's act together.

To use the example of bringing a bong (?) over the border for comparison between Thailand & Cambodia is crass.

Edited by simple1

I'm certainly not free to move to Thailand, unless continually jumping through hoops to get and maintain a retirement visa, and not being allowed to own the land I live on is freedom. I certainly love LOS but it is what it is.

If you had ever got a retirement visa in Thailand you would know it takes about 20 minutes a year to maintain.biggrin.png And as an American if you checked out the Treaty of Amity in Thailand you might be surprised at the business opportunities.

• Like 1

you can be free anywhere, even in prison.

I hope you've been in prison for some years to have the balls to say that.

if your sitting somewhere thinking about your freedom, you are in enclosed walls in your mind.

i have spent 6 months in complete solitary, no release, no contact,food dropped at the door as a monk,

Someone has been watching too much shawshank redemption.

• Like 1

Yes I agree it seems the OP is specifically talking about freedom to do drugs, which is certainly one aspect.

Many farang here enjoy that kind of freedom, along with breaking other laws they couldn't get away with back home.

But then of course they're the first to complain when they don't get any protection from a more properly administered rule of law.

"Please enforce the laws I like to protect me, but ignore the ones I don't, so that I can do whatever I want and still be safe".

Perfectly logical, but not very realistic; however amazingly enough that is probably how it works for us here most of the time in both countries.

• Like 1

how many khmer are in thailand compared to thais in khmer.

I would say more people are leaving khmer to enter thailand yes, why are they leaving the beautiful oasis that is khmer.

pretty bad when you must enter thailand to make money

I also miss the craziness, anarchy and freedom of Cambodia but it's really for sworn bachelors and those that dont need a nice if any beach.

Ive been back many times - visas, siem reap and it is much more livable now than when I ditched it in 96.

At that point I had enough of the corruption, stagnation, boderline failed state and most of all the desparation of the poor. It was not a happy place post election. Political corruption was ballsy and in your face. Mafias on the rise.

One really funny thing about Cambodia in 93/4, the only people that were out after dark were the punters and the hookers + a few cops on the take.

You could drive down Monivong on the wrong side of the street with your eyes closed without a care. I think I did that more than once on my way home from Martini Pub (nothing to be proud of I suppose).

Ah, GOOD TIMES!

Do you remember the guy that used to come on the forum talking about how he "loved the danger" in Thailand and we were all painstakingly trying to explain to him actually how safe it is!!! laugh.png

Do you remember the guy that used to come on the forum talking about how he "loved the danger" in Thailand and we were all painstakingly trying to explain to him actually how safe it is!!! laugh.png

Who could forget Paul!! :lol:

how many khmer are in thailand compared to thais in khmer.

I would say more people are leaving khmer to enter thailand yes, why are they leaving the beautiful oasis that is khmer.

pretty bad when you must enter thailand to make money

Again, OP is not a Khmer. You're just not getting it, are you? You were mentioning how tough it was for political dissident on the last page too. Again, I'm pretty sure OP is not Sam Rainsy.

We're talking about freedom that expatriates enjoy in Cambodia. The amount of Khmers leaving to work in Thailand is as relevant as the amount of toothpicks consumed per capita. Please follow the point of the thread more carefully.