Super Cheeky Restaurant Check Bin "surprises" And How You Dealt With Them

Jingthing

a while back an English type of oriental restaurant opened off a soi off soi buakaow,a friend invited us

to try the food there,as this was the type of place you will find in most british towns,the food held no

surprises for either of us,but i must admit it was a fair copy and if you miss the English type of grub

i thought it was ok,

the surprise came a couple of weeks later,i ordered a meal to take away,when i went to pay it had

gone up by around 80bht,from the price i had paid previously, i asked why the increase and was told that was the price.my first thoughts were of the absent farang owner who had probably gone away to celebrate

the successful launch of his new restaurant.

when i checked the menu it did not list one part of the meal in the takeaway section,you could get it

with chips for 100 bht,but it was not priced on its own,so this being tit it meant i had a 30% increase

in price for a takeaway meal.

i pass this restaurant quite regularly,and very rarely do i see customers,maybe the've all done like me

and now cook this same meal for 25% of the price i payed before ,thanks to the ridiculous pricing

and quite aggressive attitude of the staff.

sorry for the lack of details but

you know how keen the mods

on tv are over naming+shaming

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night in fact at a restaurant in ______ I was given a glass of sprite when I ordered _____ then when half finished they poured _____ into it so I had a glass half empty of _____ then to top it off, the fried rice was 120b and they only charged me 60b for it but did not give us any ____ with it, so not sure if the _____ costs 60b or what really.

I was in this restaurant the name of which and type of food served you have to guess . The waiter , a swarthy dark fellow said , what will you have for starters , and I asked him if they had any badgees and he replied , badgees ...badgees ?? we don need no steenkeeng badgees . Daylight robbery .

That is surprising. coffee1.gif

indeed, because steenkeeng badgees are mandatory for starters... more or less... unsure.png

So I told the waitress. This dish is supposed to have __black pudding__ and without __black pudding__ this is just a bad dish but I can see it isn't listed on the menu. So I decided to accept the dish. Later the chef comes out with the missing ingredient, all smiley. The food cost of the portion of the item was an estimated 5 baht. He says you must know alot about "__the full English breakfast___" kind of food to know it is supposed to have ___black pudding__. I tell him I have never seen it served before without __black pudding___ and asked him why they don't serve it with ___black pudding___. His lame answer was some people don't like __black pudding__. Anyway, he was nice and I thanked him for the offer of the __black pudding___. (Silly me!)

Anyway, eat the food, the spicy dish is pretty good, the dish with the added ___black pudding__ is now OK.

Have I accidentally inspired a new Thai visa _____ meme? coffee1.gif

I hope F_____ing not!!!

I was in this restaurant the name of which and type of food served you have to guess . The waiter , a swarthy dark fellow said , what will you have for starters , and I asked him if they had any badgees and he replied , badgees ...badgees ?? we don need no steenkeeng badgees . Daylight robbery .

That is surprising. coffee1.gif

indeed, because steenkeeng badgees are mandatory for starters... more or less... unsure.png

You food critics sure knows yer o_____s!

Could it be that the secret ingredient _______ actually makes you fat adds significantly to your calorific intake?

Could it be that you are a '+ plus' size and that the waitress so simply demonstrating that caring Thai attitude and was taking care of your health?

Of course, I have never met the OP and thus make no representation whatsoever to his physical presence.

• Like 1

I went to an ethnic _____ style restaurant. All the staff wore _____ because of their adherence to _____.

I asked for a mid range spicy ______ WITHOUT ______ because ________ when it has _______added gives me gas.

The Waitress, who spoke ______ and came from ______ told me that the dishes were precooked and they could not remove _______ from the dish as. To make it mid range spicy they would also have to cook a new batch of _______.. This would cost double the menu price. The entire conversation was conducted in the ______ language.

I told them to _______ and that they were ________ and that I would _______ again. Never had I eaten precooked________ and these people were a disgrace to ________!!!!!

And they said "Don't be daft, son, you don't get spicey fish and chips". "OK, I said, I'll have the steak pie with extra chillis"

SC

Why does your opening post read like a Cold War memo,I can not for the love of me understand what you are talking about with all the missing bits.

Is this some kind of guess a game.

Sounds like a press briefing by former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld : "I don't know when. I don't know where. But something bad is going to happen."

David

• Like 1

Ok I will relate 'similar'? experiences to that of the OP - I was in a bar in Saigon (one of those bars where you expect to get screwed) and I bought a beer. They put a small bowl of peanuts right in front of me. So I nibbled on them, thinking that they were complimentary. WRONG! I wasn't even hungry. Also in Vietnam they bring out a disposable cold towel and put it on the table in front of you. Even though you do not ask for it. They watch to see if you use it, and then they charge for it. All up $15 for one beer, a cold towel and a handful of peanuts. Screwed!!

In some countries, like Portugal it is customary to put a portion of food on the table like some cheese, unordered, and if you touch it you pay, if not, you don't pay. But that isn't really a scam, it's a normal part of their restaurant culture.

In some countries, like Portugal it is customary to put a portion of food on the table like some cheese, unordered, and if you touch it you pay, if not, you don't pay. But that isn't really a scam, it's a normal part of their restaurant culture.

Had a variety of dishes placed on our table in Malta this year....delicious fare too.

Was charged only for one beer and one coke.

Great little taverna! :)

the OP is so ridiculously vague, it makes almost no sense.

Is it illegal now to name a menu item or ingredient?

I went into ---- and ----- and the ----- was ----- !!!.

can you believe that?

I love madlibs....

Jing thing, you mean they is only 1 restaurant in Pattaya selling this type of food and this dish?

Can't imagine any issue in advising the dish or the ingredient that was missing

I was with a mate, who is a vegetarian, in a restaurant in the south of Thailand. I ordered a hamburger, he ordered a veggie burger, same price. Both burgers came, his was the same as mine minus the meat, so he basically got a bread roll with a limp lettuce leaf in it, a slice of tomato and a little bit of onion.

This was around 10 years ago so I can't remember exactly what he said to the restaurant, although knowing him words were exchanged. I still laugh now when I think of the expression on his face when the food arrived....classic!

Edited by LucidLucifer
  • Like 2

My friends in America have one we always look out for.

You order your food. The waitress asks if you want some sauce for your food, or some other kind of flavor adder. Then you get the bill and the item that the waitress offered to you is actually an additional charge.

We call it, "the silent upcharge".

So now we have learned to always ask if it costs extra. So annoying :(

That is mildly cheeky. I would probably suspect there was something up if they offered a sauce for a dish (as opposed to a condiment).

But thanks for that item. It's the kind of thing I was looking for before people got all obsessed about ____ and ____.

Edited by Jingthing

My friends in America have one we always look out for.

You order your food. The waitress asks if you want some sauce for your food, or some other kind of flavor adder. Then you get the bill and the item that the waitress offered to you is actually an additional charge.

We call it, "the silent upcharge".

So now we have learned to always ask if it costs extra. So annoying sad.png

Had this in the UK at JSheekey fish place. £10 for a basket of stale bread. Never returned.

But thanks for that item. It's the kind of thing I was looking for before people got all obsessed about ____ and ____.

I usually only read the first few replies of a thread before either closing the window or typing my own reply. The sad nature of ThaiVisa I guess :(