What's The Big Deal About Marrying A Girl You Met In A Bar ?

coolhandjoe

A Uni educted Thai will have pretty crap spoken English until he/she spends sometime in the West, then their English will leapfrog that of a BG who may well have lived there for decades. It's simple, they understand the grammar rules, to use the plural form for example, for the most part that doesn't,t exist in Thai..

What about a Uni educated BG ........ ever been to CM/CR?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is ridiculous. There are professional Thai women with tattoos who have never worked in a bar. My good friend in BKK has a full back tattoo. She is a fashion designer and has never been a sex worker.

Actually there are plenty. But by and large it's frowned upon and still at the very least interpreted (and often representative of) as those particular women having issues. There's also a significant difference in interpretation based upon how extensive the tattoo work is. Those relatively minor back shoulder or ankle tats might not suggest too many issues (other than 'normal' self injury or cutting to deal with a broken heart or two). The multiple large arm, leg, and full back work (while not true in all cases) would be more suggestive of the 'hate myself' psyche of medium and longer term sex workers. Although of course there are plenty of sex workers who maintain 'work' discipline and stay tat free for the business benefits of having a clean slate.

:)

That is ridiculous. There are professional Thai women with tattoos who have never worked in a bar. My good friend in BKK has a full back tattoo. She is a fashion designer and has never been a sex worker.

Actually there are plenty. But by and large it's frowned upon and still at the very least interpreted (and often representative of) as those particular women having issues. There's also a significant difference in interpretation based upon how extensive the tattoo work is. Those relatively minor back shoulder or ankle tats might not suggest too many issues (other than 'normal' self injury or cutting to deal with a broken heart or two). The multiple large arm, leg, and full back work (while not true in all cases) would be more suggestive of the 'hate myself' psyche of medium and longer term sex workers. Although of course there are plenty of sex workers who maintain 'work' discipline and stay tat free for the business benefits of having a clean slate.

smile.png

I always liked the Stickmanbangkok story about the tattoo of the Union Jack.

If marrying a Bar Girl (quite different from cook), well most of the time it's just that: a big deal.

A "mature" foreigner finds what seems like reliable companionship and a young local finds what seems a reliable source of income.

Some people call this a balanced deal. Their vision of marriage.

• Like 1

Surely you're not serious. There are exceptions to every rule, and your example is clearly an exception. Tattoos in Thailand are regarded by mainstream society as deviant, especially women. It's not evil or criminal or anything like that. It's sort of frowned upon by traditional Thai society and/or "respectable" Thai folks, much like girls who sleep around. Again, it's not "wrong," but simply not a positive. Of course, there's a subculture of Thailand where tattoos are perfectly acceptable. But that's not mainstream Thai society.

• Like 1

What is factually wrong in my post?? The price of a good meal? whistling.gif

The titty flashing in corners. Never seen it, except in Songkran and those were katoyes.

Then take a trip to Hua Hin, walk the barstreet (s), pass the many "massageshops" where the ladies sitting outside are not shy to lower their bra, showing their tits, while saying the magic words" massage"wub.png . Even doing it, if you are just passing on your motorbike.

Been to hua hin many times and i,v never seen this done, maybe my eye sight aint what it used to be

Been to Hua Hin dozens of times - never seen this once. Dude is smoking.

• Like 1

Of course, there's a subculture of Thailand where tattoos are perfectly acceptable. But that's not mainstream Thai society.

It's certainly true that the upper classes aren't mainstream, and their younger generation often has a similar inclination and degree of freedom to rebel against the traditional mores as do ours back home.

For many these days self-mutilation is just fashion, not an indicator of anything to do with morality of damaged psychology, any more than punk rock hairdo's did thirty years ago.

Now if an uneducated poor young person does it, sure there's a higher correlation to issues like sex work or outright antisocial behavior.

But not among the hi-so elite, they usually play by different rules, usually in rebellion against the older generation.

The bases for moral judgement changes just as much in time as it does geographically.

If you say it often enough, you just might start believing that.

I know her and her entire family very well for six years. Stayed with them many times, traveled in Thailand with them. There are many, many professionals who have tattoos who are not in any way sex-workers. A tattoo has nothing to do with what people do for a living.

You meet a girl in a bar that caters to foreigners, you can be quite sure, she works there for a reason. Same same, gogo, bar beer, etc...

True as a "many" or "most" statement, certainly no true if you're trying to say all or even 90%.

Girls looking to marry a farang for money are by local standards not doing anything wrong, and certainly not defined as prostitutes no matter what your puritan standards may say otherwise.

Those wealthy enough to give it away for free aren't doing anything wrong by our own standards either are they? I admit that rare here, but it does happen sometimes, probably causing more shame than actual prostitution by local standards.

And girls who wouldn't ever dream of allowing a farang to touch them under any circumstances go out in groups just to check out the scene and pretend to be daring for a night on the town, head down to Khao San Road sometime and check out all the clubs that the old-school backpacker types couldn't afford to enter in a million years, or the upscale hotels, Q bar etc. Sure they've got explicit working girls, but far from the majority on busy nights. . .

I'm not interested in either group myself, wouldn't go with a girl who drank at all nor smoked.

But my point is not to overgeneralize, especially if you're making moral judgments.

I know her and her entire family very well for six years. Stayed with them many times, traveled in Thailand with them. There are many, many professionals who have tattoos who are not in any way sex-workers. A tattoo has nothing to do with what people do for a living.

You are right, it doesn't - directly, but its also true that the vast majority of sex workers in Thailand have tattoos, and that indirect correlation is not lost on the vast majority of people in Thai society - native and foreigner alike.

Edited by somtumlion
  • Like 2

Likes the navy.

post-73727-0-60616700-1351402117_thumb.j

You are right, it doesn't - directly, but its also true that the vast majority of sex workers in Thailand have tattoos, and that indirect correlation is not lost on the vast majority of people in Thai society - native and foreigner alike.

That's true, you are right. There are exceptions to every rule.

Some members only see things their way and it's really not worth arguing with them.

There are two things that constantly amaze me about Thailand.

1. The number of girls prepared to do a bit of freelance work (no matter what their social status) on the side.

2. The inability of foreigners to realize who is available for aforesaid work.

I've met guys who didn't have a clue their misses (or daughter) was hooking on the side, let alone long term family friends. I agree, many have never worked in a bar. BGs are in the minority of sex workers in Thailand. Absolutely rife among Thai celebs, pop singers, movie stars, Tv actresses and I'm guessing the fashion industry would be included in that list.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Well i wouldnt marry a girl who was covered in tatoos ,she may be a hi so Thai Chinese with lots of money ,but i doubt it living here in Pattaya the ones covered in tatoos tend to be the bar workers ,i live on an estate of what i would say consist mainly of Thais with a fair income and i have never seen one of them adult or youngsters sporting a tatoo (mind you none of the ladies have exposed their backs or hidden bits to mesmile.png )

To be honest ,its the same with farangs ,when i see them walking down beach road in their shorts and cut away vests covered in tatoos i rarely think "oh he looks like a high class holiday maker ,must be a one of those city types ,I mean, do you ever think that ?"

Edited by thenervoussurgeon
  • Like 2

Apples and durians. I think we're talking about western bars that are places where people of both sexes go out to have drinks and to socialize vs. the types of bars here where there girls in the bar are employees of said bar and there for the sole purpose of prostituting themselves.

I go to a few places where the employees dress up like nurses and Catholic school girls but I don't trick myself into thinking that it's the kind of place to go to if I have a car accident or want to send someone from my family to private school.

smile.png

Yes i have to agree.But also funny, why so many are worried about where they meet?

The fact be this, any place where you will be in Thailand, as farang, there will be the thais there also. and why are they there? Of course to gain advantage and make money from farang, is the only reason

ie. again..that is why they are there in that place, because it have farang there, they can better themself from farang...money...meet a farang to buy them house ect ect

Even if outside of tourit zone or in small town many still have this attitude,even worse,be bargirl or no

why can some not understand but think because they meet girl with good job or at Khao san road which they beleive is not really bar, they believe they did good and argue on TV his GF better than everyone else?rolleyes.gif

Just a wild stab in the dark guess, but could it be because we are in Thailand?

What i mean to say is Thailand have farang area and Thai ,which i call normal area.

Sukkumvit,khao san,soi cowboy,walking street pattaya ect...all is thourit area

and you think you can meet good normal Thai woman in these place?

I always understood that a good, normal Thai woman will only have sex in exchange for the sin sod, so that is out then. Why do you think men come to Thailand anyway? To see the temples no doubt, LOL.

Post modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

What's The Big Deal About Marrying A Girl You Met In A Bar ?

No big deal really, it's just that they, in most cases look more hot or sexy (a requirement for the kind of work they do) than the average girl you meet in the street. And this could be a reason people marry them.

cheesy.gif

i must have all this time gone to wrong bar

everyone girl i see in most case in Pattaya or in bar in BK is the most very ugliest i ever seen in my life, i then say to myself ,must go look on street in suburb to see any good looking normal girl clap2.gif

Yes, you do go to the wrong bars.

Up in Lamphun, the best looking girls are working in the bars. Not a farang in sight!

A tattoo has nothing to do with what people do for a living.

Actually it does, if you have a tattoo, you won't be working for the Thai government.

Am I right in thinking that it's usually only whores, prisoners and monks who have tattoos?

You are wrong.

I used to know a Bar- working lady, she had a wonderful Buddhist tattoo covering most of her back,.

As it was an unusual tattoo to see on a girl, i asked her about it, she told me she had done that at a very young age.

Of course she was not from a rich family, but in fact the most brilliant and funny Lady i have ever seen in a bar.

She readily found a good guy from Oz who married her, still happily married after 5 or 6 years i think.

if you met your wife in a bar, park,club, beach, dosnt matter,

be happy,

jake

Is this a serious question? Of course it matters.

That is really a ridiculously idealogical statement. If you met your wife in church as opposed to a brothel, then it would be fair to assume who is more likely to be trustworthy, reliable, etc thumbsup.gif

if you met your wife in a bar, park,club, beach, dosnt matter,

be happy,

jake

Is this a serious question? Of course it matters.

That is really a ridiculously idealogical statement. If you met your wife in church as opposed to a brothel, then it would be fair to assume who is more likely to be trustworthy, reliable, etc thumbsup.gif

Sorry, but I can't let that go.

Churches are full of "Sunday Christians" or hypocrytes. How many have sold all that they hath and given the money to the poor? Wanna guess?

I would not put much stock in the fact that people go to church, unless I knew them to be a good person by other means.

GW goes to church, and did he abide by the commandment "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"?

• Like 1

For those that it applies to.... If you'd wholeheartedly support your son or daughter's decision to marry a current or former prostitute than you probably really believe what you're saying. Otherwise you're just rationalizing and trying to put a positive spin on a decision you might not be able to go back on.

:)

For those that it applies to.... If you'd wholeheartedly support your son or daughter's decision to marry a current or former prostitute than you probably really believe what you're saying. Otherwise you're just rationalizing and trying to put a positive spin on a decision you might not be able to go back on.

smile.png

Some of the nicest people I have met in Thailand and back home were prostitutes ( I say were, as I have lost track of them all over the years, and have no idea what they are doing now ).

I certainly would support an offspring's wish to marry/ live with a former ( not currently working as ) prostitute, provided they were a nice person, and would make my child happy.

• Like 1

My older daughter (40 now) told me I was a bad father for letting her go out with a prostitute when she was 25, (she) MA International business from a Japanese University (he was a dancer in a male review). Currently my youngest daughter at 25 got engaged to a guy with 20 tattoos. I told her he was a scum bag and that anyone with 20 tattoos was a nut case. Somehow when she is 40 that will turn out to be my fault to.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 2

A tattoo has nothing to do with what people do for a living.

Actually it does, if you have a tattoo, you won't be working for the Thai government.

My friend doesn't work for the government.

Another girl I know is a veterinarian. She has a tattoo.

Fine!

Is it a rose on the boobs, a name on the shoulder, a 'φ-sungya' on the shoulder, a tramp stamp near to her butt?

And she shows it always, even on work, to everyone, because her clothes aren't covering it?

You get it?