Bangkok Vs. Chiang Mai

davejones

I've been living in Bangkok for the last 2.5 years, staying in a 1-bed condo (55sqm) that costs 25K per month. I'm considering moving to Chiang Mai for 6 months. For those that have lived in both places, what are the pros and cons of living in Chiang Mai? I'd like to live in a pretty central area, as I prefer to walk than drive, so how much am I likely to have to pay for a fairly modern condo/house (Western kitchen, etc.)? And what's the best way to find a condo there? In Bangkok I just walk into condo buildings I like and see what's available. Is that how it works in Chiang Mai as well? Will it be quite easy to find a nice condo in a central area at a reasonable price.

Any other tips appreciated.

Edited by davejones

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Air quality in the hot season, before the rains, is the biggest problem for the North, with Chiang Mai among the worst because of its geography (surrounded by mountains). Burning of rice fields is the main cause.

Compare with other parts of Thailand here: http://ourchiangmai.com/air-pollution-in-chiang-mai-thailand/

Terrible shame, it has only gotten worse over the years...

I lived in Bangkok for a few years, before moving up to Chiang Mai. I agree with others about the air quality, it is really bad when they are burning the rice fields ... some days can't really see the sky. I think the nightlife is a little quieter compared to Bangkok as well. For me the biggest two issues are I have to take an extra flight to get home ... instead of just one flight in Bangkok when I am not working. The other issue is the lack, in my opinion, of public transportation. We bought a car here, which we never would have done if we had stayed in Bangkok.

We don't live in the downtown area though, maybe 15 minutes to Airport Plaza on the highway. We rent a 3 bedroom, 3 bath detached villa for 25,000 Baht ... which is a lot less than the 45,000 Baht per month we paid in Bangkok. The other costs of living seem about the same to me.

Air quality in the hot season, before the rains, is the biggest problem for the North, with Chiang Mai among the worst because of its geography (surrounded by mountains). Burning of rice fields is the main cause.

Compare with other parts of Thailand here: http://ourchiangmai....g-mai-thailand/

How does that pollution compare to Bangkok? Is it always polluted or only during the rice burning? If only during the rice burning, when does that take place. I could move there for 6 months that are outside that period.

I lived in Bangkok for a few years, before moving up to Chiang Mai. I agree with others about the air quality, it is really bad when they are burning the rice fields ... some days can't really see the sky. I think the nightlife is a little quieter compared to Bangkok as well. For me the biggest two issues are I have to take an extra flight to get home ... instead of just one flight in Bangkok when I am not working. The other issue is the lack, in my opinion, of public transportation. We bought a car here, which we never would have done if we had stayed in Bangkok.

We don't live in the downtown area though, maybe 15 minutes to Airport Plaza on the highway. We rent a 3 bedroom, 3 bath detached villa for 25,000 Baht ... which is a lot less than the 45,000 Baht per month we paid in Bangkok. The other costs of living seem about the same to me.

If I'm only there for 6 months then flights won't be a real consideration, but worth bearing in mind if I wanted to stay longer. I also don't want to buy a car, as I think they are a complete waste of money, hence wanting to live near the center. I love walking, so walking 1-2 km to get somewhere doesn't bother me, but I definitely need to be near cafes, restaurants, supermarkets, etc. Preferable within 500 metres.

Beside the air quality being very bad in the hot months, Chiang Mai is quite laid back compared to Bangkok. Missing are alot of cultural events, although CM is not entirely void of them.

Rentals are definitely cheaper in CM, but western style apartments are more difficult to find (Western kitchens) and the decor can often be horrendous and uncomfortable. But, for a price, one can find an apartment in the centre of CM. Condos such as Hillside 4, Nakornping, or others off are withing walking distance to Kad Saun Kaew and Nimmenhaemen, and there are a slew of serviced apartments which don't come with western kitchens--only a sink and a microwave for instance. If one comes here it is best to check out the buildings by going to the management office of each condo and see what they have for rent, but in condo's they generally don't rent for less than six months or a year. WIthout transportation, it would be difficult to live out of the city core in CM.

Weather wise, Bangkok feels like an open oven year round, while CM is somewhat cooler with some breezes and one doesn't need airconditioning to sleep a good part of the year.

I agree its cooler ... although today is/was horrible when we were out and about. Sadly, I am spoiled and we run our air con nearly all day .... except for the early morning hours.

If you don't mind living downtown, then you won't need a car. We don't live in the city, so no real choice (we have a car, the standard scooter, plus an old fashioned peddle bike). If you don't mind walking and are going to live more central, then no worries. Your best bet is to come up and stay for a week and look around for an apartment located in the right place.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Chiang Mai without a car or some form of transport. Metered taxis are non-existent and most of the tuk tuk drivers are worse than those that you encounter in Bangkok.

The night-life is a lot quieter than Bangkok, not a little; in fact, it's pretty dismal in my opinion.

If you want the latest IT equipment or electronic gadgets expect to have to wait or order them from Bangkok.

If you have anything posted to you from your home country you can safely add another week on for it to arrive in Chiang Mai compared to Bangkok.

Coming from Bangkok, I really wouldn't worry about the air quality issue. I've lived here for nearly 3 years and although I can't abide the place, I have never had a problem with the air quality.

All the foreigners here seem to be in their sixties judging from those that I see wandering around Central Airport, although that could be because younger expats have somewhere better to go!

If I was not pretty much stuck here, I would never choose Chiang Mai over Bangkok. However, you might love it, who knows?

If you are relatively tender in years, a place near Nimmanhaemin Rd might suit. Plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby and popular with the younger crowd.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

During

Compare with other parts of Thailand here: http://ourchiangmai....g-mai-thailand/

How does that pollution compare to Bangkok? Is it always polluted or only during the rice burning? If only during the rice burning, when does that take place. I could move there for 6 months that are outside that period.

During smoky season I go to Bangkok to get fresh air. Seriously. One never wants to be saying that they are going to Bangkok for fresh air but it is an indication of how bad the smoky season can get in Chiang Mai. This year it was post apocalyptic.

• Like 1

All the foreigners here seem to be in their sixties judging from those that I see wandering around Central Airport, although that could be because younger expats have somewhere better to go!

So very true. I am just 40 this year and feel like the youngest one around when we go out. The flip side is, I think the younger crowed are the smelly, Euro backpackers ... which I really don't like and didn't see much of in BKK.

If it was up to me, I'd live in BKK ... but the wife is from here, so ....

Positive things, IMO: MUCH cheaper rents, better variety of places to rent, different food, quite delicious, proximity to mountains and rivers, lots of good day trips, less traffic than Bangkok, especially away from city center, etc.

But for me, really, the air pollution is an absolute show-stopper.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Chiang Mai without a car or some form of transport. Metered taxis are non-existent and most of the tuk tuk drivers are worse than those that you encounter in Bangkok.

The night-life is a lot quieter than Bangkok, not a little; in fact, it's pretty dismal in my opinion.

If you want the latest IT equipment or electronic gadgets expect to have to wait or order them from Bangkok.

If you have anything posted to you from your home country you can safely add another week on for it to arrive in Chiang Mai compared to Bangkok.

Coming from Bangkok, I really wouldn't worry about the air quality issue. I've lived here for nearly 3 years and although I can't abide the place, I have never had a problem with the air quality.

If I was not pretty much stuck here, I would never choose Chiang Mai over Bangkok. However, you might love it, who knows?

If you are relatively tender in years, a place near Nimmanhaemin Rd might suit. Plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby and popular with the younger crowd.

Excellent points, weather sucks, no culture, old farts everywhere and most importantly a horrible selection of chome pole venues for dedicated mongers, better to stay in Bangkok.

When I mentioned nightlife I wasn't referring to seedy bars, there are plenty of those in Chiang Mai if that's what you're into. However, it's a very small city when compared to Bangkok and has nowhere near as many "ordinary" nightlife venues to offer. Whilst this might sound like an obvious fact to others, having read that it was supposedly Thailand's second city, I was quite disappointed at how provincial the place turned out to be when I arrived.

The weather is fine - I don't think I said otherwise?

So very true. I am just 40 this year and feel like the youngest one around when we go out. The flip side is, I think the younger crowed are the smelly, Euro backpackers ... which I really don't like and didn't see much of in BKK.

I was shocked when I first visited Central Airport Plaza. I thought I'd take the wrong plane and ended up in Eastbourne, UK.

Re. the younger crowd in Nimmanhaemin Rd, I meant Thai students etcetera, not the smelly Europeans, although I know what you mean lol. I see a lot of them wandering around the areas near the moat.

I was shocked when I first visited Central Airport Plaza. I thought I'd take the wrong plane and ended up in Eastbourne, UK.

Re. the younger crowd in Nimmanhaemin Rd, I meant Thai students etcetera, not the smelly Europeans, although I know what you mean lol. I see a lot of them wandering around the areas near the moat.

Probably looking for a free bath in the moat!

Reminds me of another tip - stay away from the centre of town during songkran. It seems to go on for at least a week here and they use water from the moat to chuck at people. Given the fact that they have fished at least two corpses out of there since I've been here, I wouldn't fancy getting a face full of moat water.

Edited by inthepink

A few off topic posts have been removed from view. If you can't provide the OP some help, please don't post.

Dave: I think you'll get more replies if we put this in the CM sub forum. It's a tough group there, but I'll try to weed out the off topic posts.

Topic Moved.

I can never understand anyone claiming 'lack of nightlife' in CM.

Hundreds of bar/restaurants with cheap beer, good food and live Thai rock bands every night.

Oxide in Santhitham area, along Chang Puak road, left up the soi after the Thanin market traffic lights, left at 7/11, then right at T-junction, themed uniforms, live music, food. Time is just opposite same game.

Chang Puak Lake complex, along Chang Puak, over the superhighway, left at next traffic lights, past Police station, right into dark soi after Asia Garden, about 25 bar/restaurants round the lake. First one you come to, great bar, live band, good food, beer girls. A bit further on "Say Hi", live gay band, good food, beer girls.

Loads and loads more open every night.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere in Chiang Mai without a car or some form of transport.

I couldn't imagine living here without transportation; a car with A/C, a motorcycle and a bicycle. I get really disgusted when foreigners show up somewhere after taking a red bus around all afternoon in the middle of the hot season, stinking like camels. I always feel a little nauseous when I got to Immigration or somewhere like that.

Saying all the foreigners here are in their 60's is not true. Many are in their 70's and 80's.

• Like 1

I travelled up to Chiang Mai from Bangkok yesterday. I was tempted to stay in Bangkok, but the rent seems much cheaper up here. Will be looking at apartments tomorrow so can't comment on the quality yet! Basically, it seemed to be that in Bangkok, if you want something for under 12,000 baht, it's either a lousy place in a good location or a good place in a lousy location. So hoping to find something decent in the 5,000 to 8,000 bracket within walking distance of the centre and a Starbucks or two. I'll walk into a few and check out rooms and prices, but I'm also being taken to some by one of the local agencies. While I'll miss the bookshops and public transport of Bangkok, I must say it's nice not to have to sleep with the AC on and be poked by prostitutes while walking along the street.

Beside the air quality being very bad in the hot months, Chiang Mai is quite laid back compared to Bangkok. Missing are alot of cultural events, although CM is not entirely void of them.

Rentals are definitely cheaper in CM, but western style apartments are more difficult to find (Western kitchens) and the decor can often be horrendous and uncomfortable. But, for a price, one can find an apartment in the centre of CM. Condos such as Hillside 4, Nakornping, or others off are withing walking distance to Kad Saun Kaew and Nimmenhaemen, and there are a slew of serviced apartments which don't come with western kitchens--only a sink and a microwave for instance. If one comes here it is best to check out the buildings by going to the management office of each condo and see what they have for rent, but in condo's they generally don't rent for less than six months or a year. WIthout transportation, it would be difficult to live out of the city core in CM.

Weather wise, Bangkok feels like an open oven year round, while CM is somewhat cooler with some breezes and one doesn't need airconditioning to sleep a good part of the year.

I looked at some condos for rent online, and they all were all pretty bad. I didn't find a single one that was quite modern looking. That would be enough to make me not want to live there. And I'd definitely need a proper kitchen. I don't know how anyone can live with just a microwave for cooking. I like the idea of it being a little cooler though.

Positive things, IMO: MUCH cheaper rents, better variety of places to rent, different food, quite delicious, proximity to mountains and rivers, lots of good day trips, less traffic than Bangkok, especially away from city center, etc.

But for me, really, the air pollution is an absolute show-stopper.

Is the pollution bad all year, or just during the burning season?

I can never understand anyone claiming 'lack of nightlife' in CM.

Hundreds of bar/restaurants with cheap beer, good food and live Thai rock bands every night.

Oxide in Santhitham area, along Chang Puak road, left up the soi after the Thanin market traffic lights, left at 7/11, then right at T-junction, themed uniforms, live music, food. Time is just opposite same game.

Chang Puak Lake complex, along Chang Puak, over the superhighway, left at next traffic lights, past Police station, right into dark soi after Asia Garden, about 25 bar/restaurants round the lake. First one you come to, great bar, live band, good food, beer girls. A bit further on "Say Hi", live gay band, good food, beer girls.

Loads and loads more open every night.

Now you've put me really off the place. I hate rock music, especially Thai rock music. LOL.

I travelled up to Chiang Mai from Bangkok yesterday. I was tempted to stay in Bangkok, but the rent seems much cheaper up here. Will be looking at apartments tomorrow so can't comment on the quality yet! Basically, it seemed to be that in Bangkok, if you want something for under 12,000 baht, it's either a lousy place in a good location or a good place in a lousy location. So hoping to find something decent in the 5,000 to 8,000 bracket within walking distance of the centre and a Starbucks or two. I'll walk into a few and check out rooms and prices, but I'm also being taken to some by one of the local agencies. While I'll miss the bookshops and public transport of Bangkok, I must say it's nice not to have to sleep with the AC on and be poked by prostitutes while walking along the street.

Let me know if you come across any modern apartments, as I can't find any online.

What part of Bangkok do you live? I never, ever get accosted by prostitutes, so can only assume you live or hang out in the wrong area.

For me Bangkok is the place, when you can live outside city center. We live in Klong Samwa (North East) close to Safari World. There is lots of green zones around here, not much pollution, schools for the kids, easy access to big mall (Fishion Island) etc. You must have you own transport though.... If need be, city center is just 40 minutes away, via expressway.

CM always stroke me as very provincial. Whilst rent may be lower, look at all other costs as well. Also look at entertainment and things to do in general. Kiss any beach goddbye.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I find the songteaws quite convenient and not expensive although I prefer to use a bicycle when I can.

IMO, there is tons of naughty nightlife In Chiang Mai, but, in general, bar hostesses can be much more attractive in Bangkok.

Edited by Ulysses G.