Obama Likely To Win Another Presidential Term: Gallup Poll

webfact

So how much is a bronze insurance plan then?

You're talking about wealthy people who would almost all buy the insurance. I don't know and I don't care. If people that wealthy refuse to participate, I would think they deserve a massive penalty. They would be total fools just not to buy the insurance as opposed to the fine. In other words, for that wealth level, a non-issue.

You just said I was wildly wrong, and the link you provided stated that my $10,000 figure was low-ball shock1.gif

I think you should apologize for doubting theblether.......I was right after all. coffee1.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about now. A typical middle class income is 40,000 USD. Where did you see 10,000 in that graphic? I don't really understand why you are so concerned in how another country than yours can't afford to take care of the health of their OWN people. It's really bizarre to me.

It's because I love America......and I worry about it. Incidentally the $12-16,000 figure is not in the graph, it's in the article.....try reading links before you provide them eh?

• Like 1

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because I love America......and I worry about it. Incidentally the $12-16,000 figure is not in the graph, it's in the article.....try reading links before you provide them eh?

For people earning over 200K annually with FAMILIES. A small percentage of Americans. This class of people will have insurance anyway, almost always, and again probably 100 percent of them would choose the insurance purchase over a penalty. For the mass of people, no penalty or a small penalty. Settled.

You seem to still demand an apology for some absurd reason. No problem. I apologize for saying you posted misleading information about a penalty over 10K USD that will in reality only be applied to a tiny number of actual Americans as only an insane person would pay that much in a penalty when they could get something of great value instead!

Just so you know, I don't give a fig about Scotland. I don't wish you poorly. I just don't care. Like the accent though. Is that wrong? Happy that you love USA so much though! I'd be happier if you loved us enough to think we all deserve health care and that we at least had the potential to handle this issue as well as CANADIANS (love you Canada!), but ... never mind.

post-37101-0-54246200-1352234250_thumb.g

Edited by Jingthing

Gawd that was the most contrived and grudged apology in history. coffee1.gif

You're welcome.

The way you wrote it first read as fear propaganda. You stated a huge penalty and said nothing about conditions. That was indeed totally misleading. A low information person would see that and conclude that penalty is for EVERYONE not insured unless you state otherwise which you did not. Indeed that kind of fear propaganda is a big reason Obamacare is unpopular which is funny because the good part of it, acceptance of everyone with preexisting conditions which is REAL, is very popular. Squawking about penalties of 10K USD is unreal except for a tiny number of actual persons.

Edited by Jingthing

Free universal healthcare is a disaster. People need to take responsibility for their health. Partial free healthcare is a sensible option.

From a long time UK NHS worker....wai2.gif

I think that's crap. Free universal healthcare is a very good concept generally ruined by people that want to screw what they can out of it (and that includes providers and customers).

"People need to take responsibility for their health"?

Oh please, not that old chestnut.

Suit yourself chicog but the fastest growing business now in my game is Bariatric surgery...and yes that's the UK not the US.

Each patient costs the NHS a fortune.

Keep on dreaming pal....anyway don't you have something better to do right now? biggrin.png

Economist hat on now:

I half agree with you.

Putting some sort of price signal in the system (like in Australia) at the primary care stage (eg visiting the GP) helps stop over use at that point. Stops the little old ladies coming in for a chat when nothing is wrong otherwise. Makes people 'think' about whether they 'really' need to go to the doctor.

'Taking responsibility for their own health' is a loaded statement.

If you are talking about prevention to stop people needing to visit (ie obesity, smoking related illness), then I agree with you. Society and government do need to do more on the prevention side - then sure. It is cheaper to have preventative medicine rather than treating the results.

But, there is always the other side to the coin: in many ways, you can't take 'responsibility' of your own health. What do I mean by that?

Well, unlike basically any other product, we don't 'choose' to use health care. You don't choose to be come sick. You don't choose to get cancer, etc etc etc.

This is where the argment for 'markets' in health care falls on its head. Basic economics requires 'free choice' and 'full information' on the side of the consumer for a market to work (eg...you can choose the bar you want to walk into, and you choose the drink you want in that bar to satisfy your needs).

With health care, that breaks down. You don't choose that you need to get sick, and you don't choose the treatment needed (in most cases).

So when it comes to care beyond the GP, it becomes much more tricky to 'charge' people to control demand (and thus taking presure off the system). Then it comes down to better management, more targeted services etc etc.

Back to election (please?), this is kind of disturbing. Watch carefully, this is real:

They'll be resistive touch screens (cos they're cheaper) which need regular recalibration

http://www.digikey.c...alibration.html

go figure. America, the "greatest" democracy on Earth can't get voting machines which work.

Fox had a piece on their live stream about voting machines in Colorado that changed votes like this video - of course they only mentioned that it changed a vote for Romney into a vote for Obama... fair & balanced wink.png

Edited by Hugo6

First ABC News exit polls just released: more voters blame Bush than Obama for economy's condition 51 vs. 40%, and on who is more in touch with them, 52-44 Obama. First indications don't look good for Romney.

*whoops, I forgot to add that every exit poll reported by any News agency worldwide other than Fox is invalid. laugh.png

Edited by keemapoot

First ABC News exit polls just released: more voters blame Bush than Obama for economy's condition 51 vs. 40%, and on who is more in touch with them, 52-44 Obama. First indications don't look good for Romney.

*whoops, I forgot to add that every exit poll reported by any News agency worldwide other than Fox is invalid. laugh.png

Well, here are already posts that showed some serious problems at the poll stations.

Romney's Burden: the electorate not as white as he had hoped. Oh well! The republican party, clearly too white for their own good.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/romney-camps-hopes-for-whiter-electorate-likely-to-be-dashed/2012/11/06/d38c0e00-2844-11e2-aaa5-ac786110c486_blog.html

The problem, of course, is that the public polls disagree on all counts. In its final poll, the Pew Research Center estimated that the 2012 electorate would look like the one in 2008: 74 percent white, 26 percent nonwhite. Pew’s result among likely voters? An Obama win, 50 percent to 47 percent