Drinks Are On Me...........

eyecatcher

I am 6

HELLO eYE ITS SOUNDS GREAT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A GO,BUT IM 58,not sure if i could do it. soory for caps.

I am 62 and did it. It was hard but I am 110 kg and have copd. Went down via the road till a nice guy gave me a ride in his pickup. The trail down is steep and a bit dangerous on some places. To take a walking stick with you is a good option. Taking a songteaw down is another option. Eyecatcher had to wait for me the whole climb but he liked to do so. I enjoyed it, took a good massage afterwards and was only a little stiff yesterday. Doing it more often will give me a better condition and more opportunity to look around. Sunday again same time?.

How long did it take for every one to reach the top.

I am 70 and trying to get down to 110 Kilos. Walk a fair amount of time and have been known to get into just put one foot in front of the other foot mode when pain gets bad. I guess I am asking how long of a ordeal would it be if that is what it turns in to for myself if I were to try it. Defiantly would not want to go with a group as Iwould just take the joy out of it for them.

Partially disabled going up hill is a lot easier fr me than down hill. So would defiantly be getting a ride back.

I am 6

HELLO eYE ITS SOUNDS GREAT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A GO,BUT IM 58,not sure if i could do it. soory for caps.

I am 62 and did it. It was hard but I am 110 kg and have copd. Went down via the road till a nice guy gave me a ride in his pickup. The trail down is steep and a bit dangerous on some places. To take a walking stick with you is a good option. Taking a songteaw down is another option. Eyecatcher had to wait for me the whole climb but he liked to do so. I enjoyed it, took a good massage afterwards and was only a little stiff yesterday. Doing it more often will give me a better condition and more opportunity to look around. Sunday again same time?.

Yes same time on sunday again...Joop at 62, was an inspiration to everyone, he suffers from copd, but kept a steady slow pace all the way, not sure I actually saw him stop for a breather, but he knows his limitations and fair enough some parts on the way down are a little adventurous for some.

it took us 1hr 45 to reach the top, we had a few photo stops and some cooling down in the waterfalls.

dont feel like you are letting anyone else down by joining in, you can hang off the back or press right on..and there isnt much talking going on, that takes energy.

next sunday again 9.00-9.15 at Pun Pun top of suthep road.

I am 70 and trying to get down to 110 Kilos. Walk a fair amount of time and have been known to get into just put one foot in front of the other foot mode when pain gets bad. I guess I am asking how long of a ordeal would it be if that is what it turns in to for myself if I were to try it. Defiantly would not want to go with a group as Iwould just take the joy out of it for them.

Partially disabled going up hill is a lot easier fr me than down hill. So would defiantly be getting a ride back.

You can join us, if it is to hard, after about 2 km (this is the easiest part) there is wat Talad, from here you can go down by taking another trail (or walk to the road and and pick a songtaew). For the first time this could be a nice alternative when you are not in a reasonable shape.

Edited by Joop50

You can join us, if it is to hard, after about 2 km (this is the easiest part) there is wat Talad, from here you can go down by taking another trail (or walk to the road and and pick a songtaew). For the first time this could be a nice alternative when you are not in a reasonable shape.

Thanks for the reply it is certainly some thing to ponder. How much farther on the hard part?

Wonder where a person could get a decent walking stick. Those Burmese walking sticks are more for looks. A proper cane is strong enough to support you if you take a sudden misstep and a proper walking stick is long enough and stout enough so you can adjust your grip on it to match the terrain.

Thanks for the reply it is certainly some thing to ponder. How much farther on the hard part?

Wonder where a person could get a decent walking stick. Those Burmese walking sticks are more for looks. A proper cane is strong enough to support you if you take a sudden misstep and a proper walking stick is long enough and stout enough so you can adjust your grip on it to match the terrain.

Well I have to guess but it's around 3 - 3.5 km in my experience, it's quite steep uphill. Therefor I like to use a walking stick when I enjoy to go downhill.

For the lower part it's not necessary. Thailand doesn't have a walking culture, I am affraid there is no place they sell adjustable sticks here.

Well I have to guess but it's around 3 - 3.5 km in my experience, it's quite steep uphill. Therefor I like to use a walking stick when I enjoy to go downhill.

For the lower part it's not necessary. Thailand doesn't have a walking culture, I am affraid there is no place they sell adjustable sticks here.

Try Amorn at Icon Plaza, they usually have the telescopic metal "alpine" sticks. Loads for sale up at Mae Sai. Personally, I carry a length of stout bamboo, cut to length. Useful for scaring off aggressive dogs, too mad.gif

Edited by MESmith

Thanx MESmith I will take a look.

I was looking at that quote also

I tried to post the fo;;owing but to many quotes.

That sounds rite on. I know in rough terrain you might have to have a meter and a half to reach to solid ground along side of where you are walking. With a staff you can slide your hand up an down it. Use it not necessary for support but as a balance in rough terrain.

When you say adjustable walking sticks are you talking about sticks that would be with out a handle or adjustable canes they would have a handle.

That sounds rite on. I know in rough terrain you might have to have a meter and a half to reach to solid ground along side of where you are walking. With a staff you can slide your hand up an down it. Use it not necessary for support but as a balance in rough terrain.

When you say adjustable walking sticks are you talking about sticks that would be with out a handle or adjustable canes they would have a handle.

They have a handle, with built in flash light, useful if you're late getting off the mountain wink.png

Similar to this:

post-99758-0-44213300-1352246114_thumb.j

Adjustable canes that have a handle, a grip in fact. I used these before, only one, and it's very useful going downhill on rough trails. Going up the hill I not really use it and then the advantage is the adjustability.

I hope you guys don't get bored with this walk in the near future.... I'd really like to join you to do it, but won't be moving to CM permanently until February.

Here's hoping!

There seem to be a lot more trails, maybe someone can bring some information in.

They have a handle, with built in flash light, useful if you're late getting off the mountain wink.png

Similar to this:

post-99758-0-44213300-1352246114_thumb.j

Found it, 190 baht, aluminium, looks good, it sais 110 cm high but I measured 1 meter heart hand it's just enough for me 1.91 high , will test it tomorrow. 4 left in stock. Thanx again MESmith

Be careful when buying trekking poles in Thailand. All the ones I've seen didn't seem strong enough to support the whole weight of the average farang male in a fall - they flex quite alarmingly. Seen this problem with some at the Mae Sai border market and some at a stall in Pantip Plaza in CM. Bought mine abroad. Please report if you find any locally which seem strong enough.

For beginner hikers, a nice shortish but uphill route for a bit of evening exercise starts at the Khru Ba Siwichai statue above the zoo, passing Huay Kaew waterfall. Cross the bridge over the Huay Kaew stream just before the falls and walk up the path to the left of the waterfall. Just keep going up past Wang Bua Ban viewpoint and on to the Pha Ngerb overhanging cliffs and return. Less than an hour but all uphill exertion. You can continue on up from there along a couple of trails which cross the main road, and eventually even reach the top of Doi Pui, but that's a 7-8-hour round trip and about the same climb as Ben Nevis.

CMMCB

Is there room for one more???

I've been meaning to walk up there for some time now....actually over a year, and this group sound great!

Of course, sunday 9.00 am at the end of Suthep road, in front of the pun pun restaurant

Edited by Joop50

Hi potential hikers,

There are dozens of lovely walks on the Doi Suthep - Doi Pui range, many starting low down from various Western edges of town. But regular hikers hardly ever see anybody else up there. It's a real shame. On the edge of Seoul is the busiest national park in the world, with millions going up there every year. I hope Doi Suthep doesn't get quite like that but it would be nice to see more people appreciating the nature on their doorstep.

The Pilgrims Trail is a very good one to start with. It was the main way up the mountain to the temple until the road was completed in 1935. It starts at the Channel 7 transmitter gate, past the Wat Fai Hin gate and the CM Zoo rear gate, at about 445m amsl and the first section, about 2kms up to Wat Palad (600m amsl), takes only about 30 minutes along a lovely shady path (a bit stony at first). Beginners might want to return from there the first time.

The trail then gets steeper up from Wat Palad and crosses the main road (the trail is a bit tricky to follow at this point up to the crash barrier), then taking another 2 kms or so up to the big bend in the road (with billboard) just below Wat Doi Suthep (c. 1,000m amsl). So that's a four to five km walk each way, up 650m (and down again, unless you use a songtaew or ambulance), through the forest instead of a 12km drive on a fume-filled road. I'd say many would take up to 90 mins to walk up and about an hour back down.

See you on the hill.

CMMCB

I did this in the spring and it was great. Going down we chose to take a Songtaew back to Wat Palad and the followed the trail back to our motorcycle. Going down is always much harder on the knees so that was our reason for riding down.

Alas, an injury keeps me from doing this again at least for a while. I would love to join.

Is there room for one more???

I've been meaning to walk up there for some time now....actually over a year, and this group sound great!

Of course, sunday 9.00 am at the end of Suthep road, in front of the pun pun restaurant

Many thanks!

See you all there!

Many thanks to Eyecather and Joop50 for a great trek.

A tad sore today and am just waiting for my leg massage and I should be right to go again this week, maybe even twice!

Great exercise, sweat buckets and great views.

Til next time!