Availability Of Probiotic Foods In Pattaya ?

Jingthing

Yes, it's easy to make, but where do you get the starter?

Like another poster said, all the yougurt here is highly pasteurized, boiled beyond recognition.

EDIT: Somehow the ghost in the machine dropped my quoting the poster who said, "yogurt is easy to make."

Getting the starter for yogurt will be easy since there is local made yogurt available here. Sounds like jt already found some.

And that local youghurt costs 53 Baht for half a liter.

Who in his right mind would go through all the hassle described in the posted link for making his own youghurt if it is available at that price.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like another poster said, all the yougurt here is highly pasteurized, boiled beyond recognition.

EDIT: Somehow the ghost in the machine dropped my quoting the poster who said, "yogurt is easy to make."

Getting the starter for yogurt will be easy since there is local made yogurt available here. Sounds like jt already found some.

Who in his right mind would go through all the hassle described in the posted link for making his own youghurt if it is available at that price.

Someone obviously not as lazy as yourself. Many times what you make at home is much better than anything you can buy in the store. It's not always about the money.

Someone obviously not as lazy as yourself. Many times what you make at home is much better than anything you can buy in the store. It's not always about the money.

Well, you can make your own youghurt, you can also bake your own bread,make your own refreshments,grow your own vegetable,keep some chickens around for eggs and chicken meat and if your land plot is big enough you could have your own cow who produces the milk for your youghurt.

This is not about lazy, but I've some other priority's in life.

Well, you can make your own youghurt, you can also bake your own bread,make your own refreshments,grow your own vegetable,keep some chickens around for eggs and chicken meat and if your land plot is big enough you could have your own cow who produces the milk for your youghurt.

Oh, you mean like posting useless comments... I see you have your priorities straight.

Oh, you mean like posting useless comments... I see you have your priorities straight.

I was trying to beat you, but it's obvious you're the champion smile.png

OK, there is good kefir for sale at Foodland Jomtien, two brands, both locally made, probably by Russian people. Also locally Russian made, Aryan, the fermented Middle eastern milk drink, called Doogh in Iran.

Contrary to my pessimism in the OP, it turns out there are plenty of good sources for these foods in town. (Except low salt miso and tempeh.)

Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to try Natto. Or maybe not!

Edited by Jingthing

OK, there is good kefir for sale at Foodland Jomtien, two brands, both locally made, probably by Russian people. Also locally Russian made, Aryan, the fermented Middle eastern milk drink, called Doogh in Iran.

Contrary to my pessimism in the OP, it turns out there are plenty of good sources for these foods in town. (Except low salt miso and tempeh.)

Are there any contact details on the bottles? I would like to get my hands on some kefir grains to make coconut kefir and all those offering here on TVF seemed to have done a runner.

Edited by Jayman

The person who does not live anywhere near Pattaya, where that yougurt is sold!

The person who does not live anywhere near Pattaya, where that yougurt is sold!

In that case the following links as where to buy the youghurt will be useful for you

http://www.sunrisedairy.co.th/index.php/where-to-buy/up-country/?lang=en

http://www.sunrisedairy.co.th/index.php/where-to-buy/?lang=en

This woman is 51.

She is a TV health guru advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and ill health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements, also making statements that yeast is harmful, that the colour of food is nutritionally significant, and about the utility of lingual and faecal examination.

post-163917-0-85997100-1352529845_thumb.

This woman is 51 also.

She is a TV cook, who eats nothing but meat, butter and deserts.

I rest my case!

post-163917-0-24040500-1352529863_thumb.

• Like 1

This woman is 51.

She is a TV health guru advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and ill health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements, also making statements that yeast is harmful, that the colour of food is nutritionally significant, and about the utility of lingual and faecal examination.

This woman is 51 also.

I rest my case!

Funny, but this topic really isn't about ANY of those things. It's about something that is well known and accepted by MAINSTREAM medical science about an ancient way to promote digestive health, and where we can obtain these things in Pattaya. It's not a fad and its not controversial like colonics for example. It's really not related to vanity or appearance. But since you brought it up, pretty doesn't necessarily mean healthy. Edited by Jingthing

Are there any contact details on the bottles? I would like to get my hands on some kefir grains to make coconut kefir and all those offering here on TVF seemed to have done a runner.

I think there is some contact info on the Ayran bottles (a company that also makes Kefir). Edited by Jingthing

This woman is 51.

This woman is 51 also.

I rest my case!

Funny, but this topic really isn't about ANY of those things. It's about something that is well known and accepted by MAINSTREAM medical science about an ancient way to promote digestive health, and where we can obtain these things in Pattaya. It's not a fad and its not controversial like colonics for example. It's really not related to vanity or appearance. But since you brought it up, pretty doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

Yes it was only meant as a joke. Sure pretty doesn't mean healthy but i sooner have Nigella in the sack anyday. You can have the other healthy old trout.

I have been saddled with terrible stomach probs and just started taking the probiotics in capsule form. Its been about a week now and they seem to be helping. I had a friend bring them over from Germany for me..not sure if they are available here in Thailand..in the USA they are everywhere.. Florastor is one of the more popular ones

I have been saddled with terrible stomach probs and just started taking the probiotics in capsule form. Its been about a week now and they seem to be helping. I had a friend bring them over from Germany for me..not sure if they are available here in Thailand..in the USA they are everywhere.. Florastor is one of the more popular ones

There is a good chance larger Boots stores in Thailand may offer prebiotic and/or probiotic pills. I'll check. Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good chance larger Boots stores in Thailand may offer prebiotic and/or probiotic pills. I'll check.

You're wasting your time buying probiotic pills. The best probiotic is kefir made from your own kefir grains and fresh milk. The problem is, no one advertises kefir because once you have your own grains you'll have them for life, so there's not much commercial benefit in pushing them. Of course you can always buy prepared kefir (The Russian type you see in various stores) if you don't want to make it yourself.

Have a read from the kefir guru:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

He does post dried kefir grains around the world if you can't source them locally.

• Like 1

There is a good chance larger Boots stores in Thailand may offer prebiotic and/or probiotic pills. I'll check.

You're wasting your time buying probiotic pills. The best probiotic is kefir made from your own kefir grains and fresh milk. The problem is, no one advertises kefir because once you have your own grains you'll have them for life, so there's not much commercial benefit in pushing them. Of course you can always buy prepared kefir (The Russian type you see in various stores) if you don't want to make it yourself.

http://users.sa.char.../kefirpage.html

He does post dried kefir grains around the world if you can't source them locally.

The pills work if you get the right ones. But they are end up being expensive. A lot of people cant tolerate dairy so something like Inner Health is okay.

When i was younger this Rejuvelac was all the rage: Rejuvelac is a fermented beverage that is inexpensive, easy to make, refreshing to drink and FULL of wonderful nutrients for your body. A healthy probiotic, it also has vitamins B, K and E, proteins, and enzymes. It is beneficial to your digestive system, promoting a healthy intestinal environment. It is also a great starter for raw nut cheese!

How to make Rejuvelac:

1. Start with one cup soft wheat berries (pictured). You can also use rye, quinoa, buckwheat, or other grains. Wheat, rye and quinoa seem to make the best rejuvelac.

2. Soak the grain for 24 hours. Drain off water and rinse two to three times a day until little sprout tails appear.

3. Place sprouted grain in large jar. Add 4 cups water and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days.

4. You will notice that the water will get cloudy and little bubbles will start forming.

5. Taste…it should taste clean and fresh with a hint of lemon. Strain the rejuvelac off of the wheat berries and store in covered glass container in the refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week, just make sure it still smells and tastes fresh. You can reuse the wheat berries to make a second batch. It will only take a day.

Edited by Tolley

The pills work if you get the right ones. But they are end up being expensive. A lot of people cant tolerate dairy so something like Inner Health is okay.

It depends on what you mean by "can't tolerate dairy". If a person has an intolerance to lactose, there won't be a problem with kefir as long as it fermented long enough to use it all up. It can also be made with goats milk or any other milk. If milk still presents a problem, water kefir grains can be used to produce non-dairy kefir.

It's a catch 22 situation with food intolerances because I believe that probiotics (and kefir in particular) can help overcome them. I'm able to tolerate foods now after using kefir that I couldn't tolerate before. The entire digestive process has been enhanced.

Edited by tropo

I have read a bit about these Kefir grains already, but still can't find the origin of the grains.

Does anyone know what they originate from.Do they grow at a tree, or some vegetable or whatever?

It's a mystery. They've propagating fungal/bacterial colonies which have been growing unchanged for 1000's of years. They were brought out of seclusion in the Caucasus region by the Russians about 100 years ago. They truly are a miracle of nature. They have a harder time in Thailand's tropical climate, but that doesn't stop them from producing perfect drinking kefir every time.

You can read about all of the available history on the site I linked above.

http://users.sa.char.../kefirpage.html

Thanks.. I just emailed him about having some shipped to Thailand.

I have read a bit about these Kefir grains already, but still can't find the origin of the grains.

Does anyone know what they originate from.Do they grow at a tree, or some vegetable or whatever?

It's a mystery. They've propagating fungal/bacterial colonies which have been growing unchanged for 1000's of years. They were brought out of seclusion in the Caucasus region by the Russians about 100 years ago. They truly are a miracle of nature. They have a harder time in Thailand's tropical climate, but that doesn't stop them from producing perfect drinking kefir every time.

What do you mean with a harder time in Thailand tropical climate.

Don't they grow aswell,or is the produce of a lower quality or is it that they die if you don't take the right precautions?

I would think that a bacteria would flourish in a tropical climate.

It depends on what you mean by "can't tolerate dairy". If a person has an intolerance to lactose, there won't be a problem with kefir as long as it fermented long enough to use it all up. It can also be made with goats milk or any other milk. If milk still presents a problem, water kefir grains can be used to produce non-dairy kefir.

It's a catch 22 situation with food intolerances because I believe that probiotics (and kefir in particular) can help overcome them. I'm able to tolerate foods now after using kefir that I couldn't tolerate before. The entire digestive process has been enhanced.

So is kefir better than using rye, buckwheat,wheatberries etc as per my post on rejeuvelac because these grains are very easy to source.

What do you mean with a harder time in Thailand tropical climate.

Don't they grow aswell,or is the produce of a lower quality or is it that they die if you don't take the right precautions?

I would think that a bacteria would flourish in a tropical climate.

Some people have trouble when they're trying to produce kefir in temperatures over 30C. The grains show signs of deterioration and don't multiply. The optimum temperature is about 22C. MIne get a good rest in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks - then I make kefir for about 3 or 4 days (at ambient room temperature of about 29C average) in large batches, enough to keep me going for 2 - 3 weeks, then rest them again. You can also use ice packs in a cooler to keep the temperatures down.

I haven't come up with a perfect answer to your questions yet. It's just that I've sent kefir all over Thailand and some people are having trouble with it. I've never had any trouble, but it could be a matter of just a few degrees making the difference.

Most of the information on the net comes from people living in temperate climates. I haven't heard from anyone in a full tropical climate apart from people I've given grains to. Dom has some information about high temperature "brewing" on his site - that's where I got the idea of using coolers with ice packs. I'm still new at this, but obviously what I'm doing is working as my grains multiply rapidly and always have and the quality (taste) of the kefir is always the same. I've used full cream milk, zero fat milk, chocolate and strawberry milk, and right now I'm using UHT milk in the Philippines.

Edited by tropo

I got a reply from Dom and they are delayed in shipping for 4-5 weeks due to high demand. Hopefully once Tropo returns he will be able to share grains with us and we can start producing at home.

Looking forward to fresh home made kefir for the family.

So is kefir better than using rye, buckwheat,wheatberries etc as per my post on rejeuvelac because these grains are very easy to source.

I've been drinking kefir daily for 18 months now. It's done wonders. I can't compare with the others you mention as I haven't tried them. The only way you'll know for sure is by trying it, but going on what I've read and experienced I don't believe anything touches kefir... and it is extremely easy to prepare. I make my kefir over 3 or 4 days in litre batches and have enough to drink for 2 - 3 weeks. Throw them in milk, wait 12 - 24 hours, strain then start over.

You only need to source kefir grains once in your lifetime. That's it - job over. When you have a surplus you can freeze some and store them for more than a year - or dry them and store them for many years.

Edited by tropo

I got a reply from Dom and they are delayed in shipping for 4-5 weeks due to high demand.

All Tropo's fault since he started posting about Kefir some time ago biggrin.png

biggrin.png You could be right as I have linked his site quite a few times. If I go back to Australia I'll have to get some from Dom too as there's no chance I'll legally get this through Australian customs.