Re-Entry Permits: A Twist

The situation: this guy has an multiple-entry O-A visa issued on Aug 28, 2012. He arrived in Thailand on October 28 and got a one year Permission To Stay.

He will be leaving at the end of this month and he is not certain if he will be able to return before his visa expires on Aug 27, 2013. He might not be back until September or October.

Can he go to Immigration this month and purchase a Re-Entry permit that would be valid until October 27, 2013?

In short, can you get a Re-Entry Permit while holding a valid multiple entry visa?

I would say get a single re-entry just in case he does make it back before expiry, only 1,000 baht. If he returns after August 27th then he needs to get a new visa from his home country.

Shame as the O-A can effectively be used for 2 years. If he travelled back on 26th August 2013, he would get a stamp back in valid to 25th August 2014.

The validity of a Re-Entry Permit is determined by the Permission To Stay to which it is linked, not the original visa. For that reason I have to believe Mario2008's reply.

I will recommend to my friend that he attempt to purchase a Re-Entry Permit before he leaves at the end of this month.

He is aware that re-entry permit will not provide more than a few days stay - it will not provide a new one year stay as getting here prior to expiration date of visa would provide. So the only use it would have is if he intends to extend his stay for one year and will have the financials and paperwork in place prior to October expiration of that stay. He might be better getting a new O-A visa if in home country and not able to return prior to August 27 as that could serve for an additional two years prior to extending here or needing financials here.

All true, Lop, and he understands. He also knows he is pretty much wasting his O-A but there were reasons why his permanent stay here is getting pushed out into the latter part of 2013.

He already has the bank account, already has it funded. If he can come in on a Re-Entry Permit at the last minute he'll be ready to go right over to Immigration and get a one year extension. What he does not want to do is have to go through the whole O-A experience again with the Los Angeles consulate.

If extension is the goal there would not be any need for O-A visa again. All that is required is a single entry non immigrant O visa to extend and that can be obtained directly from immigration inside Thailand or most Consulates in the area or honorary Consulates in the US. But if he is quite sure to not be later than October the re-entry should serve him.

Did you actually see his passport stamps? ie, the one saying he had permission to stay for one year from October. Sounds like an one year extension, but if thats the case, the original one year multi is over-ridden and he must apply for re-entry stamp (single or multiple, multiple being valid until the expiry of the one year extension). Also, if it is a first one year extension, then it would only be valid until one year from the date of his last entry into Thailand (possibly the August arrival???).

hope i'm not confusing things here, just can't see under what other circumstances he would of got an extra 12 months permission to stay two months after the visa was activated. Maybe there's more to it????

chheers,

The Blood Cat

Edited by bloody tiger

Any entry on a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa during period it is valid gets one year from date of entry permission to stay stamp. So you can return 11 months after visa was issued for an entry and new permitted to stay would be 23 months after issue date.

Any entry on a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa during period it is valid gets one year from date of entry permission to stay stamp. So you can return 11 months after visa was issued for an entry and new permitted to stay would be 23 months after issue date.

LOL, Lopburi, you are totally correct.....that was my bad for reading the post to quickly. I read it as he arrived in August and then recieved another 12 mnts permission of stay in October............I partly blame beer chang though for my silly error......my apologies

He is planning on a return after his visa (one year) expires so will not have a valid visa so a re-entry permit will be required for the period from August to October to return and keep that October permitted to stay date for extending reasons.

yeah, it must of changed since I had my first I year Multi visa.

Back then (93) it was only valid for one year from the date of arrival and then you would have to leave the country every 90 days.

You could get almost 15 months though if you did a border run the day before it expired and then recieved another 90 days.

So much easier nowadays if you can get almost 2 years out of a one year visa.....how times have changed!!!

The Blood cat

how times have changed!!!

You are describing an O visa and it's still like that. Under discussion here is the O-A visa, which is substantially different.

Mahjonguguy....LOL...now I know where my confusion is......I was thinking of "O" visa...not O-A.

Almost 30 years of Thailand experience and I didn't offer anything to this thread.....my apologies......I will once again partly blame beer chang....lol.......sorry to have had no real input into your question

The re-entry permit doesn't extend the length of the visa. If the visa has expired when he returns to Thailand then it can't be used, re-entry permit or not.

The visa was is valid for a for an unlimited number of entries into Thailand until 27 August 2013. On each entry he will receive permission to stay for one year from the date of arrival.

He currently has permission to stay until 27 OCT 2013. If he gets a re-entry permit it will be valid for entry into Thailand until 27 OCT 2013.

Edited by Maestro
Corrected information about visa.

Correct. I noticed my error and went back to edit my post.

He basically has three options:

1. Leave Thailand without re-entry permit.

1.1. If he returns to Thailand before 27 AUG 2013 he gets again permission to stay for one year.

1.2. If he returns after 27 AUG 2013, he should get a single-entry non-O visa before taking his flight to Thailand.

2. Get a single-entry re-entry permit

2.1. If he returns to Thailand before 27 AUG 2013 he gets again permission to stay for one year.

2.2. If he returns after 27 AUG 2013, he gets permission to stay until 27 OCT 2013.

2.3. If he returns after 27 OCT2013, he should get a single-entry non-O visa before taking his flight to Thailand.

3. Do a quick border run before going on his long absence from Thailand, then get a re-entry permit based on his new permission to stay.

"3. Do a quick border run before going on his long absence from Thailand, then get a re-entry permit based on his new permission to stay."

Thx Maestro, that's an interesting option. That way he could come back in late November and still be eligible for a quick & easy one year extension.