Double Pricing (267%) At Insomnia / I-Bar

manarak

the short story: my GF and 2 of her friends went in while I parked the bike.

They ordered 3 San Mig and the bill was 225 baht.

Then I come in and order again 1 San Mig and one coke. Result: 260 baht (60 baht coke, 200 baht San Mig).

The waiter explained a girl's San Mig costs 200 baht when a farang pays.

Thank you Insomnia.

And how much if you order one for yourself?

Ohh, I see, it was the girls San Mig that confused me, so 200 bath for non Thais, well fuc_k them.

I am tempted to bring my wife and let her order/pay and laugh at the personal while I enjoy my 75 bath beer.

no, if the girl/wife pays it herself, it's 75 baht.

if the farang pays, the farang gets ****** by 125 baht more (inadmissible)

Edited by manarak

Thats strange tho, i never paid 200 baht for a San Miguel inthere. Guess without a card its 160 baht, still a bit expensive but come on, its a busy nightclub, you cant expect to pay 75 baht for a beer inthere. If you decide to go there more often, just get a Insomnia membercard for 250 or a gold one for 500 baht, a beer will set u back a 120 baht i believe but dont know for sure :)

I don't think you paid 200 baht for the beer. A coke usually goes for about 120 baht, not 60 baht. My wife will pay 120 for a coke if she's there with her Filipino friends. It's around about the same in Lucifer and Mixx.

Anyway, the "game" of pricing ladies drinks lower is important for a disco. Ladies are the biggest commodity in a disco and discounting their drinks is a common strategy all over the world. Most of the girls in the Walking Street discos are working and guys wouldn't go there if they weren't there.

• Like 1

They have to make money somehow so you pay a bit more for drinks there.

The girls get a discount so the guys come there to pick them up.

If you dont like it you can go to the Walking St bar. Drinks same prices for everyone around 100 baht, no smoking and clean toilets. Same girls often go there as well!

That is quite tame. I have paid as much as 300 baht for a beer on WS. blink.png

it's not a question of price level, it is a question of "why does my girlfriend's beer cost 75 baht when she pays for it and 200 baht when I pay for it?"

my GF doesn't work there, she's not hooking for customers, she has no i-card for commission - she's just a guest as myself.

Edited by manarak

I prefer Walking Street Bar as well, nice Air Con, and I have never

paid more than 120 for a beer. During low season they used sell

beers for 95 baht Mon-Thu night.

And no smoking inside ! They get all my biz ...

luudee

That is quite tame. I have paid as much as 300 baht for a beer on WS. blink.png

it's not a question of price level, it is a question of "why does my girlfriend's beer cost 75 baht when she pays for it and 200 baht when I pay for it?"

my GF doesn't work there, she's not hooking for customers, she has no i-card for commission - she's just a guest as myself.

Would you have been happier if they charged her 200 baht?

How do they know she's not working there? As far as management is concerned, all girls are working by default. It's a freelancing disco and that's how it works.

I don't think you paid 200 baht for the beer. A coke usually goes for about 120 baht, not 60 baht. My wife will pay 120 for a coke if she's there with her Filipino friends. It's around about the same in Lucifer and Mixx.

Anyway, the "game" of pricing ladies drinks lower is important for a disco. Ladies are the biggest commodity in a disco and discounting their drinks is a common strategy all over the world. Most of the girls in the Walking Street discos are working and guys wouldn't go there if they weren't there.

I don't mind the ladies getting a discount. Back in the USA when I used to actually go out, I recall the ladies' nights were quite a draw. Heck, as long as the place doesn't jack up my drink price too much, I don't see a big problem with them charging me less for the girl I bring. Seems like it would save me some money on my night out ?

I don't mind the ladies getting a discount. Back in the USA when I used to actually go out, I recall the ladies' nights were quite a draw. Heck, as long as the place doesn't jack up my drink price too much, I don't see a big problem with them charging me less for the girl I bring. Seems like it would save me some money on my night out ?

Well, the problem is you pay more for your ladies drinks. She only gets them cheaper when she pays and she's not with you. Is for the girls without a sponsor to be able to stay there and find a sponsor without breaking the bank.

Be very cautious if you decide to complain because you could get beaten up.

Yes, I hear that a lot of people carry guns and some even carry Kalashnikovs. We are all in danger there. Stay safe.

So beware of the guy walking like a robot ................he has a Kalashnikov down his trousers...laugh.png

Historically some people on this forum do not mind double pricing in general. Not only dont mind but think its a good thing despite more than likely coming from countries where this kind of practice would be heavily discouraged and unethical.

Dont think you will get much support for your post and the moral implication.

Edited by rinteln

Insomnia has reputation for aggressive security avoid it and good to Walking Street Bar, a clean friendly operation and packed with friendly girls looking for a little fun plus as another says no smoking inside and a couple of pool tables if you are so inclined.

• Like 1

It's always been that way there. THAI ladies - if they pay - get one price. ALL farangs pay a different price. Even if a farang woman goes in and orders will pay the higher price. I always let my wife go in with her girlfriends and order drinks before I appear and they get the cheap price.

• If I was making 200 baht a night at a bar, I would seize the opportunity on a foolish tourist as well, give em a break!

Foolish....or just guilty of assuming certain standards. I think there is a thin line. Westerners cant really be accused of being foolish because they go into a nightclub outside their own country and dont know they are about to be overcharged for something compared with another set of people just because an assumption is made about their wealth based on the colour of their skin. This more than likely never happens to them back home so they would not expect it and thus i dont think can be accused of being foolish..........maybe just gullible.

Its a bit like the zebra crossings in Pattaya. How many times do you see westerners crossing and then Thais just driving through ignoring the lights. Now Thais would say stupid farangs but really we are just guilty of assuming certain standards, ethics and rules to be adhered to.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Me thinks you are falling into the trap of thinking that price is somehow linked to cost, or something solid like that...

Price is linked to the market's ability to pay... Thai girls out with their friends, or there to wait for a freelance pickup can afford to pay 65 baht... if they charged them 200 baht they wouldn't go, and neither would the men that follow them...

Farrang men and women, and Thai girls out with a farrang, can afford to pay 200 baht... why would the bar not charge as much as you are willing to pay???

• Like 1

Me thinks you are falling into the trap of thinking that price is somehow linked to cost, or something solid like that...

Price is linked to the market's ability to pay... Thai girls out with their friends, or there to wait for a freelance pickup can afford to pay 65 baht... if they charged them 200 baht they wouldn't go, and neither would the men that follow them...

Farrang men and women, and Thai girls out with a farrang, can afford to pay 200 baht... why would the bar not charge as much as you are willing to pay???

So the best answer is to do your drinking outside and not buy a drink at all in the club.

So the best answer is to do your drinking outside and not buy a drink at all in the club.

spend your money where you are happy to - if you aren't happy (or at least accepting) to pay 200 baht for a beer, you have plenty of choice of options... and the bar should be free to accept any pricing regime they choose...