Whoops I Forgot Something

Blackandwhite

but if I do die early, I'll die happy from too much drinking and too much fun with girls

Try to get any inclination toward excessive drinking under control while you're still working, it tends to escalate after retirement.

Re fun with girls, you'll have a much better time - not just from a financial POV - if you pretend to be much poorer than you are.

It's not actually a very challenging game anyway, so my most important advice - set up at least one major project that requires time energy and most of all your brain.

Just "enjoying yourself" is actually a waste of time, stressful and conducive to an early death. Set goals and work to achieve them, important ones not just busy work.

He'he... thanks for your consulting wai.gif

No need to worry about me...

- no alcohol during week while at work and 1 bottle of fantastic Italien red on the weekend...

- experienced with Thai girls and already done all the mistakes a newbie can do...

- loads of books to be read while I enjoy my beer in a pub near the beach (NOT gogo and girlie bars..)

- already set up for lot of things to do when there, like play my sax in a band, involved in charity work, maybe look for volunteering in tourist police as I will be pretty fluent in Thai when I come (besides my other 4 languages)

Edit: all above the result of 7y coming to Thailand and 3y of planning my next move and looking at where I could or could not live...

you will need a work permit to play in a band, volunteer police well if you have any form of education you will give up on that one prity soon, dealing with one drunk farang after another after another after another. Dont need to be able to speak Thai for that just 2 ears to listern to drunk moorons who been robbed by freelansers off the beach.

Some good advice here, starting with the suggestion to scan important documents. I have done the same and it's proved to be very helpful. Also getting a good portable hard drive and having a copy of all correspondence etc. This far out - and assuming you are 100% committed to the move - you might consider doing Thai lessons. Perhaps for your daughter too. No you don't need to speak Thai but your transition will be smoother if you arrive with some language ability.

As others have suggested, be ready for the possibility that the culture shock may hit your wife and daughter harder than you. Perhaps schedule a few longer stays in Thailand before you make the big move, to ease those toes into the water. Where possible avoid burning bridges and just rent for a year or so when you arrive.

You're of course much farther ahead than most, probably over-planning if anything. 8-)

true... but it helped me through some tough situations in the past to be over prepared... I could actually move to Thailand pretty much right now and live comfortable with what I have now... but the additional (financial) security layer gives me a much more confident feeling and will also enable me to be much more free, i.e. moving around, travelling here and there just in case heaving is about to fall on my head wink.png

Seen too many guys without that financial layer who are stuck to one place and the same life day by day and who then really get pissed and start to drink until they finally piss themselves...

Most people who make their move don't realize that living a retired life is completely different from their current working life... you suddenly need to fill out 12 more hours every day with some activities...

My daughter is half thai and speaks good Thai, wife Thai. Not sure how finances will be by the time we come over but sure will find it hard to spend 200k a month based on our standard of living at present.

but if I do die early, I'll die happy from too much drinking and too much fun with girls

Try to get any inclination toward excessive drinking under control while you're still working, it tends to escalate after retirement.

Re fun with girls, you'll have a much better time - not just from a financial POV - if you pretend to be much poorer than you are.

It's not actually a very challenging game anyway, so my most important advice - set up at least one major project that requires time energy and most of all your brain.

Just "enjoying yourself" is actually a waste of time, stressful and conducive to an early death. Set goals and work to achieve them, important ones not just busy work.

He'he... thanks for your consulting wai.gif

No need to worry about me...

- no alcohol during week while at work and 1 bottle of fantastic Italien red on the weekend...

- experienced with Thai girls and already done all the mistakes a newbie can do...

- loads of books to be read while I enjoy my beer in a pub near the beach (NOT gogo and girlie bars..)

- already set up for lot of things to do when there, like play my sax in a band, involved in charity work, maybe look for volunteering in tourist police as I will be pretty fluent in Thai when I come (besides my other 4 languages)

Edit: all above the result of 7y coming to Thailand and 3y of planning my next move and looking at where I could or could not live...

you will need a work permit to play in a band, volunteer police well if you have any form of education you will give up on that one prity soon, dealing with one drunk farang after another after another after another. Dont need to be able to speak Thai for that just 2 ears to listern to drunk moorons who been robbed by freelansers off the beach.

My daughter is half thai and speaks good Thai, wife Thai. Not sure how finances will be by the time we come over but sure will find it hard to spend 200k a month based on our standard of living at present.

Bigjohnnybk - good heads up on the drinking - see lots of guys spend the majority of their retirement drunk and moaning about wife and in laws.

Will be looking a a small project to keep me busy, will consider what nearer the time a base it on what I enjoy at time. It will mainly be to keep me out of the pub. I have a tendancy to drink if bored.

I really do appreciate the reply's I do get surprised with the way some up sticks shoot off to Thailand with no real understanding of the situation they will believing in.

One thing I feel is important is below.

Thailand as amazing as it is needs to be understood for what it is as a whole. Unless you understand the full picture things can go bad quick. I am half African spent time in Ghana and Sierra Leonne both of which are third world as is Thailand. Think once living in countries like Thailand you need to live with it not necessarily how you want to live and have an understanding of culture at the top of the agenda. Defiantly live with it not against it.

If your future income after emigration will still be derived from the UK, base your financial planning on an exchange rate of, say, 30baht to the pound. That way you are less likely to be disappointed. Nobody can forecast what currencies will be worth in 5 years time, and I've no idea whether sterling will sink that low, but look at what has already happened. When I first visited Thailand in 1996, before the Asian economies crashed, the pound would buy 40 baht. Seven years ago, when I was making the transfer payments to buy the house we now live in, the rate averaged just short of 67. When I finally retired and moved out here just 3 years ago I transferred a lump sum at 55baht/pound. For the last year or more it's been difficult to hit 50. Asia including Thailand is now regarded as the economic powerhouse of the future, and most of the rest of the world may be relegated to the level of poor relations. It would not be prudent to plan on any other basis.

Also, start paying into a health insurance scheme well before you make your move.

Most people who make their move don't realize that living a retired life is completely different from their current working life... you suddenly need to fill out 12 more hours every day with some activities...

And such a sudden change of lifestyle brings many many stressors.

Perhaps you could find a way to keep the transitions separate - from work to retirement and from home to here, and to also try to make them more gradual rather than black-and-white.

Will make things much more manageable and reduce the impact of unknown-unknown consequences.

Maybe off topic

I'm the most disorganized person on earth.That's why Thailand is the perfect fit for me.

Perfect in the sense that you'll have to wear the consequences yourself sure.

However being taken care of by a nanny state would probably be a better way to live out the final stages of Alzheimer's.