Rice Pledging Scheme Vehemently Criticised Again

Lite Beer

Rice pledging scheme vehemently criticised again

20121112141529-640x480.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 12 – Public dissent against the highly-criticised rice pledging scheme has escalated with noted public figures issuing fresh warnings, charging the government with running the country into serious debt.

Former deputy prime minister Pridiyadhorn Devakula said farmers will benefit from the scheme but long term stocks of rice will reduce its quality and incur financial losses.

With a combined 21.95 million tonnes of rice in government stockpiles, the loss will be as great as Bt140 billion, he said, adding that the public debt will be as high as 47.8 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) and it will increase to 49.9 per cent of GDP by the end of this year.

If the government carries on the project into next year, public debt will skyrocket to 61 per cent of GDP, he warned.

Mr Pridiyadhorn expressed concern that other countries will have less confidence in Thailand and that the Thai currency will also be affected.

Academic ignorance, combined with corruption, is twice as dangerous to the country, he said, adding that it is most difficult to salvage the country’s loss of credibility in the face of the international community’s lack of confidence in Thailand.

Nipon Poapongsakorn, a senior academic at the Thailand Development and Research Institute (TDRI), said the government has breached its agreement with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) as it has set an intervention ceiling for the rice market at 3-4 million tonnes but Thailand has gone far beyond the promised figure and the government has not disclosed any information on the rice deal to the public.

Warning against the rice-for-train barter contract with China, he said brokers of both countries will benefit for both the rice and train deals.

The government, he said, has lost Bt172 billion since the start of the rice pledging scheme while benefits to farmers were only Bt110 billion, and rice mills and warehouse operators earned big profits of Bt21.38 billion and Bt2.313 billion respectively.

The longer rice is stocked, the lower its quality becomes, as it deteriorates, and losing quality will cost nearly Bt10.5 billion while the government also has to pay interest of Bt14.45 billion for loans with financial institutes, he said.

Dr Nipon called on the Commerce Ministry to leave it to the private sector and the market mechanism, and refrain from intervention in selling rice to Cambodia.

The Finance Ministry admits it has just Bt150 billion budget for next year’s rice pledging scheme and there is concern that the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) must bear the financial burden since the cost of the scheme will exceed Bt300 billion.

Chookiat Opaswongse, honorary president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, described the government’s planned purchase of 4 million tones of rice from Cambodia as ridiculous.

“Where will we stock the rice? Buying rice from Cambodia does not put Thailand on a competitive edge with Vietnam,” he said. With the government’s announcement to export 8.5 million tonnes of rice, and buying white rice at US$800/tonne, it will be impossible for Thailand to compete with Vietnam which sells rice at US$450-460/tonne.

In the global market, the US sells rice at US$600/tonne, Thailand at US$580/tonne, Vietnam at US$450/tonne, India and Pakistan at US$440/tonne while Myanmar has started to export at US$400/tonne, he said.

The government will only lose if it pledges rice at US$800/tonne, he said, adding that the government has more than 10 million tonnes of rice in stock, excluding rice from the new harvest which will add to the stock. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-12

wait, is the govt buying rice from cambodia? or selling to cambodia?

Rice is being imported from Cambodia (and Vietnam) to Thailand

Thailand imports significant volumes of rice from Vietnam for first time

–Thai imports from Cambodia reach 200,000 tons a month

–Thai government purchase program creates artificial domestic shortage

–Imported rice ending up in Thai stockpiles, exports, industry executives say

Thailand, generally the world’s largest rice exporter, for the first time ever is importing sizeable quantities of rice from neighboring Vietnam as industry and exporters seek to offset an artificial domestic scarcity created by the Thai government’s rice-purchase program.

Cheaper rice from neighboring Cambodia and Vietnam is flowing into Thailand, filling a vacuum created by the Thai government’s aggressive purchase program, and some of the imported grains are likely ending up in Thai government stocks and export shipments, industry executives said.

http://mnews.thegktrade.com/countries/dj-update-thailand-turns-to-vietnam-cambodia-to-fill-rice-supply-gap

The Cambodian rice is also being sold as Thai rice

October 6, 2011

Cambodian Rice Smuggled Across Border Canal

An unknown volume of rice has been allegedly smuggled from Cambodia to Thailand's border district of Aranyaprathet to enjoy the government's rice price-pledging scheme.

MP Chuvit Kamonvisit produced video clips showing the Cambodian rice being unloaded from trucks and smuggled across Klong Namsai canal by Cambodian workers into Aranyaprathet.

The Cambodian rice, smuggled at varied spots along the border canal, was believed to be sold for 15,000 baht a ton under the Thai government's much-heralded price-pledging plan, effective on Friday.

http://news.voicetv....lish/19980.html

March 29, 2012

Officers Seize 30 Tons of Smuggled Rice

Customs officials and border patrol police in Sra Kaeo Province have stopped trucks that were smuggling in rice from a neighboring country to participate in the government's rice pledging scheme.

http://www.tannetwor...?DataID=1053924

So essentially he is saying that Thailand would have been better off if the rice had been sold normally and the government had just given the farmers an extra 62b baht?

Well, most of Thailand would be better off.... the concerned politicians and rice brokers would no doubt have unfairly suffered.

• Like 1

Chookiat Opaswongse, honorary president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, described the government’s planned purchase of 4 million tones of rice from Cambodia as ridiculous.

This isn't ridiculous. Brother Hun Sen deserves his slice of the pie too.

The world's smartest businessman has proved himself to be a blithering idiot again, though I expect to find the he and his family have profited quite nicely from this scam.

Hark Yingluk, do I hear the tramp of boots approaching?

Sorry Mick I am a bit confused by what you say. Is the plan working or not ? Mr 'me, me, me' and his associates are enriching themselves whilst the country gets greased up and bent over, are you saying this wasn't the plan ???

The world's smartest businessman has proved himself to be a blithering idiot again, though I expect to find the he and his family have profited quite nicely from this scam.

Well it all proves beyond doubt that when you con your way in to owning a telecom monopoly in a country, you will succeed whether you are as thick as two planks of wood or not.

One of Thaksins, rare unique business ideas for Thailand was the Thailand elite program, which performed at only the tiniest of percentages in turns of projected membership and has needed a bail out. As far as the rice goes, this pledging scheme is going to be an absolute disaster, and there are very troubling rumours of how certain people in the Middle East invested massively through Thaksin in huge amounts of land in issan for rice production. I truly hope that the US really do hold Thailand to full account on Wednesday and when Obama comes he lets the Government know in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the current practice of <<Snip!!>> about with a commodity that is a world staple food. As an aside I was reading elsewhere that when Obama is here on the 18th, Yingluck will be at a 4 day conference in Camodia, is she really going to run away to save a one on one awkward encounter with Obama?

If the flock of unswerving Thaksin/red admirers on TV cannot see what is going down here then they really should have worked harder at school.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

This pledging structure is getting worse every day. What on earth could be the benefit of BUYING Cambodian rice. I guess they are fuelling the tanks right now, because for all the dodgy crap around this system, actively importing from Cambodia is probably the rice stalk that breaks the buffalos back.

Well it all proves beyond doubt that when you con your way in to owning a telecom monopoly in a country, you will succeed whether you are as thick as two planks of wood or not.

One of Thaksins, rare unique business ideas for Thailand was the Thailand elite program, which performed at only the tiniest of percentages in turns of projected membership and has needed a bail out. As far as the rice goes, this pledging scheme is going to be an absolute disaster, and there are very troubling rumours of how certain people in the Middle East invested massively through Thaksin in huge amounts of land in issan for rice production. I truly hope that the US really do hold Thailand to full account on Wednesday and when Obama comes he lets the Government know in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the current practice of <<Snip!!>> about with a commodity that is a world staple food. As an aside I was reading elsewhere that when Obama is here on the 18th, Yingluck will be at a 4 day conference in Camodia, is she really going to run away to save a one on one awkward encounter with Obama?

If the flock of unswerving Thaksin/red admirers on TV cannot see what is going down here then they really should have worked harder at school.

"when Obama comes he lets the Government know in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the current practice of &lt;deleted&gt;***ng about with a commodity that is a world staple food."

Are you kidding? Obama just got re-elected by using big-government "give-me give-me" vote-buying programs. Obama will most likely congratulate her on her effective vote-buying scheme and they will then compare notes on each others schemes and how to improve them.

This pledging structure is getting worse every day. What on earth could be the benefit of BUYING Cambodian rice. I guess they are fuelling the tanks right now, because for all the dodgy crap around this system, actively importing from Cambodia is probably the rice stalk that breaks the buffalos back.

Thai imports of Cambodian rice, both milled and unmilled, have risen dramatically and now total nearly 200,000 metric tons a month, while those of broken-grade rice from Vietnam have reached nearly 60,000 tons a month, Chookiat Ophaswongse, honorary president of Thai Rice Exporters’ Association.

http://mnews.thegktrade.com/countries/dj-update-thailand-turns-to-vietnam-cambodia-to-fill-rice-supply-gap

"when Obama comes he lets the Government know in no uncertain terms what he thinks of the current practice of <<Snip!!> about with a commodity that is a world staple food."

Are you kidding? Obama just got re-elected by using big-government "give-me give-me" vote-buying programs. Obama will most likely congratulate her on her effective vote-buying scheme and they will then compare notes on each others schemes and how to improve them.

Do keep up !

http://www.reuters.c...umerGoodsSector

• Like 1

Let me get this straight: Thailand is importing rice to cover a local shortage caused by PT buying up all the countries rice at a bloated price, this imported rice is cheaper than home grown rice because PT will only sell at the unrealistic price they said it could achieve. That is XXXXXXX insane, completely mickey mouse economics. The idiots behind this lunacy should all be gaoled.

Total agreement on that one - absolutely nuts. Not only do the Thai people eat rice of a lower grade, but they accumulate huge debts. Cambodia and Vietnamese farmers and miller must be laughing all the way to the bank. Talk about selling coals to Newcastle.

• Like 1

Thai imports of Cambodian rice, both milled and unmilled, have risen dramatically and now total nearly 200,000 metric tons a month, while those of broken-grade rice from Vietnam have reached nearly 60,000 tons a month, Chookiat Ophaswongse, honorary president of Thai Rice Exporters’ Association.

To be perfectly frank, importing rice into Thailand should be illegal except at time of famine.

But of course, only Thai companies know how to care about (shaft) the farmer. Foreigners not allowed and just look at what happens.

What else could we possibly expect from a maladministration that is manipulated by a convicted bail jumping renegade and sponsor of terrorism just so as he and his family can steal more money from this country and its people ?

Come the house cleaning time when the occupants of this country eject this current maladministration then we shall see who the inheritance of the burden of debt will fall upon.

400-04160672w.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Well, heaven forbid! Every ton of thai rice sold on the domestic market cannot be part of the rice pledging scheme, because if you think the Government could get away with selling Thai's their own rice at 40% + above world prices there WOULD be a military coup and a revolution. So in order that the fatman of Dubai gets as much money as possible then the best way is to put ALL Thai rice in the pledging scheme, therebye raking in maximum profits for Herr Thaksin and feed the Thai locals at normal prices by supplying them with rice from Cambodia and Vietnam. This ensures that not only have Thailand lost the worlds number 1 slot..officially, but as far as the neighbours are concerned she has lost ALL her dignity as well. I bet those farmers in Cambodia and Vietnam are quite partial to taking a piss on the rice prior to bagging it for Thailand. What fun. Thank you Yingluck, and send best wishes to that business genius of a brother of yours, I am sure the thai people will be forever grateful, and it brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'being in your debt'!. they are going to be so far in YOUR debt they will be drowning in it for decades rolleyes.gifsick.gif

Edited by GentlemanJim

Thai imports of Cambodian rice, both milled and unmilled, have risen dramatically and now total nearly 200,000 metric tons a month, while those of broken-grade rice from Vietnam have reached nearly 60,000 tons a month, Chookiat Ophaswongse, honorary president of Thai Rice Exporters' Association.

http://mnews.thegktr...rice-supply-gap

To be perfectly frank, importing rice into Thailand should be illegal except at time of famine.

But of course, only Thai companies know how to care about (shaft) the farmer. Foreigners not allowed and just look at what happens.

they just repack it and collect 15 000 thb from the Government.bah.gif
  • Like 1

So essentially he is saying that Thailand would have been better off if the rice had been sold normally and the government had just given the farmers an extra 62b baht?

Well, most of Thailand would be better off.... the concerned politicians and rice brokers would no doubt have unfairly suffered.

unfairly

So Thailand is now importing rice??? You couldn't make this stuff up!

really ?,............ the UK was importing coal costing more than our own under thatcher , same same

Good answer if David asks Yingluck about rice. I'm sure taxpayers in both countries will be very happy to hear that rolleyes.gif

So Thailand is now importing rice??? You couldn't make this stuff up!

really ?,............ the UK was importing coal costing more than our own under thatcher , same same

Not the same really. Thatcher being the ideological bigot and vengeful harrion that she was went to war with the NUM in order to destroy the union and worker power in general because of the way the miners had brought down the previous Tory government. She was scum with an agenda that had nothing to do with good governance and everything to do with fattening up the coffers of her wealthy buddies. While PT may want to benefit their friends I seriously doubt they deliberatly want to break the backs of the farmers. Ironically they may do so but that will be due to utter incompetence rather than ideological bigotry.