International Drivers Licence Translation

Khun Jean

Today i went to the Transport Office opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1 to apply for a Thai drivers licence.

I have my certified address from the embassy but to my surprise they asked for a translation of the front page of my international drivers licence.

As that document is actually a translation of my drivers license i did not really understand the reason.

The front page has no information at all it is just like the frontpage of a passport.

The actual information is inside in 10 different languagues including english and has a list of countries that signed the treaty (Thailand is included).

Anyone can think of a reason i need to translate the front page? And what arguments can i use to avoid this.

I have never heard or read of a Transport office requesting a translation. This may not be very helpful but depends which is more inconvenient - could you not just go to a different office - maybe ring up first and check their requirements?

I rang up first and when there this translation was asked. I tried to explain that the international drivers licence IS the translation and it seems strange to make an english translation of an english translation.

But it was not what she asked, it was the front page that had to be translated. Completely in the dark why that would be any good.

I thought that they have seen many internationla drivers licence, but then she got out a book full with translations of that front page.

It seems strange to translate "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" into "Kingdom of the Netherlands" as it is just the cover.

Amazing Thailand again.......

I rang up first and when there this translation was asked. I tried to explain that the international drivers licence IS the translation and it seems strange to make an english translation of an english translation.

But it was not what she asked, it was the front page that had to be translated. Completely in the dark why that would be any good.

I thought that they have seen many internationla drivers licence, but then she got out a book full with translations of that front page.

It seems strange to translate "Koninkrijk der Nederlanden" into "Kingdom of the Netherlands" as it is just the cover.

Amazing Thailand again.......

Normally you don't need this, your home license is sufficient, since the categories are clearly indicated in signs and numbers.

i guess i encountered one of the dumb ones, but she surely fooled or maybe a better word bothered a lot of foreigners, the ones she showed me were in a very thick folder. And all of the meaningless front page.

I guess that she really thinks it is necessary and by the amount of copies she showed it probably made her more sure about it.

I specifically asked if she was there tomorrow and she told me she had a free day. So who knows, i hope i get one that is not 'trained' by her.

i guess i encountered one of the dumb ones, but she surely fooled or maybe a better word bothered a lot of foreigners, the ones she showed me were in a very thick folder. And all of the meaningless front page.

I guess that she really thinks it is necessary and by the amount of copies she showed it probably made her more sure about it.

I specifically asked if she was there tomorrow and she told me she had a free day. So who knows, i hope i get one that is not 'trained' by her.

And there you have it: she seems to feel more certain about it.

The anxiousness to do something wrong governs anything

Hopefully you just go away.....or maybe it is teatime?

Go to another office.

Well even all the other people working at that department even the manager insist that the cover page of the international drivers licence has to be copied.

They also insist on a translation of the front of the drivers licence which contain only names, dates and numbers. So i have to translate the dutch "1" into an english "1", my name into an English version etc..

Complete idiocy but without it completely stuck. On top of that they insist that the translations have to be certified by the embassy.

However the embassy has no service to do that and are even forbidden by law to do it. The 'book' with copies of what other 'farangs' have done shows that many seem to succeed with their embassy but the Dutch embassy can not.

I even let the embassy person talk to the land department employee and explain to them that the purpose of a international drivers licence is to have a translation of the national drivers licence and that the text in that international drivers licence is the official translation etc... all to no avail.

Grr......

Anyone can think of a solution to this situation?

Edited by Khun Jean

Yeah that would be the easy solution. Only there is nothing to translate. The international is already in English and translating it into english seems pretty dumb to me but i am willing to do this even it is silly.

The real problem lies in that this translation has to be certified, and they insist that the embassy does this.

The embassy however can not do this, been there in person and i was assured that they don't have the right to do it.

That is the real problem, because no certification by the embassy, everything else stops.

The translation has to be in English!! and it has to be certified by the embassy!!

Guys, please read.

Again problem is that the international drivers license is ALREADY in english and the embassy is not allowed by law to certify translations.

Conflict between Thai and Dutch law. In this case the Thai side is just idiotic because an International drivers licence IS the translation AND certification that the little plastic card is a real drivers licence. Embassy personnel explained that to the Land department office but still they want the same, even after knowing that it is impossible. Other countries seem to do it but not the Dutch one.

Already did that, was my first attempt but this 'policy' seems to be consistent among them.

And having a residency in Bangkok you need to apply in your own district, although they are not absolutely strict with this.

It is something that people from English speaking countries will not encounter.

Edited by Khun Jean

Already did that, was my first attempt but this 'policy' seems to be consistent among them.

And having a residency in Bangkok you need to apply in your own district, although they are not absolutely strict with this.

Neither did I with my Dutch license.

I just came back from a translation company and the said they can do the translation from Dutch to English or to Thai but it would be impossible to certify this translation.

Stevenl, how did you do it? Which documents you provided were accepted? Which department you went to? In your own district?

I brought a doctors certificate, certified address from the embassy, my international drivers licence, my national drivers licence (The pink one which has 'driving licence' in english on it), passport, lease agreement Thai and English, marriage certificate, non immigrant 'o' marriage visa in passport.

Edited by Khun Jean

Throw away the IDL and jsut take the driving test. Sheesh!

I know, but then the problem shifts to my national drivers licence. Same problem.

I think i just get the wrong information from the employees and they are stuck in their line of thinking.

I need something to break the vicious circle.

edit to add:

Just come back from another visit and i now have a temporary driving licence until this 'translation/certification' problem can be solved.

This at least shows a small crack in their thinking and consideration for my situation.

Staying calm and respectful and keep smiling is a real effort, i just blow off steam elsewhere. :)

Edited by Khun Jean

I had the same experience when I applied for my Thai drivers license at that branch of the DLT, so went to the main DLT at Mor Chit where they did not require any translation. You can use the local DLT office serving the area you live or can go to the main DLT at Mor Chit but you cannot use another "local" DLT. Where did you try the second time?

Sophon

I just came back from a translation company and the said they can do the translation from Dutch to English or to Thai but it would be impossible to certify this translation.

Stevenl, how did you do it? Which documents you provided were accepted? Which department you went to? In your own district?

I brought a doctors certificate, certified address from the embassy, my international drivers licence, my national drivers licence (The pink one which has 'driving licence' in english on it), passport, lease agreement Thai and English, marriage certificate, non immigrant 'o' marriage visa in passport.

More or less what you took, except no residence certificate but workpermit, and no IDP but home license. And no lease agreement, plus don't recall bringing marriage certificate.

As Mogandave said, you can always do the test and obtain the license that way in stead of an exchange. You don't need your home license of IDP then, so no problem at all.

I had the same experience when I applied for my Thai drivers license at that branch of the DLT, so went to the main DLT at Mor Chit where they did not require any translation. You can use the local DLT office serving the area you live or can go to the main DLT at Mor Chit but you cannot use another "local" DLT. Where did you try the second time?

Sophon

I tried the Jatujak/Mor chit main DLT. There they said they could not process it and had to go to the one in my district......

It is a real puzzle, maybe the moon is in the wrong phase......

Edited by Khun Jean

More or less what you took, except no residence certificate but workpermit, and no IDP but home license. And no lease agreement, plus don't recall bringing marriage certificate.

As Mogandave said, you can always do the test and obtain the license that way in stead of an exchange. You don't need your home license of IDP then, so no problem at all.

I only had those documents, just in case.

You did not have to translated your pink credit card sized national license?

And to be certain, you used the dutch drivers license and just did the tests?

I did the reaction, depth and peripheral vision tests, but was not allowed to do the other ones until i have the translation/certification of either my IDP or home license. ????

This seems after reading these posts really out of the ordinary, are they fishing for some tea money, it did not feel like that as no hints in that direction were given?

Edited by Khun Jean

You did not have to translated your pink credit card sized national license?

And to be certain, you used the dutch drivers license and just did the tests?

I did the reaction, depth and peripheral vision tests, but was not allowed to do the other ones until i have the translation/certification of either my IDP or home license. ????

This seems after reading these posts really out of the ordinary, are they fishing for some tea money, it did not feel like that as no hints in that direction were given?

No, no translation necessary.

Yes, showed my license with motorbike and car tagged and did colour blindness test (this was before any other tests were required).

You did the tests, no need for any other tests.

You said you received a temporary license, are you sure this is not the standard 1 year to be exchanged in 1 year for the 5 year license?

The 'temporary' is a A4 form signed and stamped and says temporary licence.

I was not allowed to do the theory and practical driving tests because of the 'translation/certification' thing.

Beyond confused....

added to summarize:

Morchit says no translation is needed and all documents i have are in order.

But i can not apply there i have to go to the district office (the one opposite sukhumvit 62/1)

That district office will not talk to the Morchit office even when i had them on the phone and could hand the phone over to them. (Loss of face problem probably)

I did manage to let them talk to my embassy to hear from the embassy themselves that they can not translate and certify.

Solution until now: none....

Edited by Khun Jean

I was not allowed to do the theory and practical driving tests because of the 'translation/certification' thing.

You are confusing 2 things:

1) you're trying to exchange your home (or international) license for a Thai driving license;

2) you could simply do the the tests, including practival and theory, and obtain a Thai DL that way.

You are confusing 2 things:

1) you're trying to exchange your home (or international) license for a Thai driving license;

2) you could simply do the the tests, including practival and theory, and obtain a Thai DL that way.

Yes, i understand this difference.

Number 1 is impossible because of the translation/certification of the international license, and i can understand what they want even if it is unnecassary.

Number 2 is what i opted to do to get out of the vicious circle but then i have to produce a translation/certification of my national drivers licence.

Number 2 should be possible but is made impossible because the translation/certification issue. I have seen translations/certifications from others in her collection (French, belgian, Italian and a duthc one from 4 years ago) but alas the Dutch embassy is unable to do that. I called, went there and indeed they are unable to do that.

What i start to suspect is that number 1 and number 2 are mixed by the employee at the land department. As i have told that i have no problem taking the tests it should not be blocked by this translation/certification thing. I guess it is a 'lost in translation' factor as none of the employees at the land department can speak enough English and I can not speak enough Thai. Monday i go again and have someone with me that is fluent in both languages. Everyone is helpfull and really trying to get this done but somehow it ends up repeating everything again and again.

Edited by Khun Jean

Number 2 is what i opted to do to get out of the vicious circle but then i have to produce a translation/certification of my national drivers licence.

No, you don't need a license for that. Just as anybody else you can simply walk in the DLT with the paperwork, do the tests, do the exams both theory and practical and walk out with your license.

So I am more and more getting the idea that you're confusing the lady in stead of the other way round.

Well i asked. "Can i do the test". And "not use license". But still the demand for a translation/certification of my normal drivers license.

Unfortunately there is only one person doing the 'foreigners' so i could not try with someone else. That would probably also solve the problem.

I guess she made a mistake and now stays with that mistake.

Edited by Khun Jean